Letters Distribution Q

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Letters Distribution Q

Post by Tom S »

Hellooo

Can remember it being mentioned that there is a limit on the amount of times which particular letters (like Z, Q, X) appear in a game. Does anyone know which letters are deliberately restricted?, or if these restrictions are in place with all of the letters (or just generally), does anyone know the maximum amount of times the letters can appear in a game?
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Re: Letters Distribution Q

Post by Callum Todd »

This is the letters distribution circa 2009ish. I think it's changed slightly since.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Callum Todd wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:37 pm This is the letters distribution circa 2009ish. I think it's changed slightly since.
Great stuff- thanks for that.
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

Definitely changed - I had 5 C's in one game.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

As for who to turn to for info on the latest distribution, obviously Countdown Team will know, Charlie surely knows for apterous, Rob and Jack and Conor probably know for their various computery things they've done.

Pretty sure
Thomas Carey wrote: Thu Jan 01, 1970 12:00 amsummon me like this
knows too.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Sam Cappleman-Lynes wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:05 pm Definitely changed - I had 5 C's in one game.
Believe there's been a game fairly recently where 2 W's have appeared, too.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

If you add up how many times each consonant has appeared this year, I imagine you will find that J, Q, X, Z have appeared about the same number of times each, and all the others will be close to a whole number multiple of the average of those numbers. QED. More difficult for the vowels if you don't know how many there are in total, but you could probably deduce it without too much trouble. Wouldn't work for the series where they mislaid the J for several months, of course.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

wow i've been summoned

yeha - it's changed a bit for tv - i don't really watch cd much but I remember a recent episode with two Ys. It's probably fairly easy to work out like Graeme did there and who knows maybe I'll spend my Christmas loooking at thta for series 82 but currently your guess is as good as mine innit
cheers maus
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Ah soz Maus for some reason I thought you knew. Good to know the summons worked though.