Fun stuff you've just found (music, games, etc)

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Fun stuff you've just found (music, games, etc)

Post by Callum Todd »

Couldn't find a thread for things like this so started a new one.

Yesterday I was introduced to a new musical genre that goes by the name of 'bardcore', or sometimes 'tavernwave'.

This is an absolute banger. The concept was introduced to me as a sort of funny meme thing but I think it's genuinely brilliant.

Haven't found any other examples as good as this yet but I shall keep mine ear out.
Last edited by Callum Todd on Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Fun stuff you've just found (music, etc)

Post by Mark James »

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I like choral versions of hits like Creep and Smells Like Teen Spirit.
Also Elvis impersonators version of modern
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Callum Todd wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:31 am Couldn't find a thread for things like this so started a new one.

Yesterday I was introduced to a new musical genre that goes by the name of 'bardcore', or sometimes 'tavernwave'.

This is an absolute banger. The concept was introduced to me as a sort of funny meme thing but I think it's genuinely brilliant.

Haven't found any other examples as good as this yet but I shall keep mine ear out.
That's pretty good.
Tough game to master. Spent 7 hours on it.
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Callum Todd wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:31 am Couldn't find a thread for things like this so started a new one.

Nice to see Pumped Up Kicks and We Need To Talk About Kevin getting their long awaited crossover episode.

Music-wise, Max Richter's re-doing of Vivaldi's Four Seasons from a recent LinkedIn advert is one of the nicest bits of music I've heard for a while-so relaxing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXXm0ppMvT0
The Vicar of Dudley*

*(Not ordained, nor do I live Dudley. Godspeed!)
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Just listened to that Matt, it's great. Will listen to the other seasons too when I get chance.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Re: Fun stuff you've just found (music, games, etc)

Post by Andy Wilson »

That is brilliant Callum, fair play. What next? Baroque and roll?

You've just reminded me about Max Richter. Fell asleep to a broadcast of his 'Sleep' on RTE lyric a few months ago. Off to get it now and do the same again.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

During lockdown our local paper has been printing several extra pages of puzzles, quizzes, crosswords etc. One puzzle that I've become addicted to is called Gogen - I think it appears in lots of papers but I hadn't come across it before. In its basic form it's a 5x5 grid of cells into which the letters of the alphabet (except Z) have to be placed so that each word in a given list can be spelled out by moving from cell to cell in any direction. Some letters are already placed to start you off. Anyone else into these?

And one that I've rediscovered and become addicted to all over again is the word puzzle that goes by various names, but in Radio Times it's called The Enigma Code. You've probably seen these; it's where you have a standard crossword grid with each square containing a number from 1 to 26; each number represents a letter of the alphabet and you have to solve the code and complete the grid. Unlike Gogen, which is a pure logic puzzle and uses letters/words only as meaningless symbols (in the same way that Sudoku is not a number puzzle), the skills needed to solve Enigma Code puzzles include vocabulary, knowledge of letter frequency distribution etc. The RT publish a difficulty level and target solving time with each puzzle which is good for testing yourself against.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Codewords I've always called those ones (your enigma code)
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

The maker of the song I linked in the original post has just uploaded a new one, this time it's 'Somebody I Used To Know'.

I spent the first two minutes wondering how they were going to tackle the 'have your friends collect your records line'. I wasn't disappointed.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Kiss from a Rose by Seal was ahead of the game
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

This German (I think) Christmas TV advert is nice.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Peak bardcore!
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Callum Todd wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:14 pm This German (I think) Christmas TV advert is nice.
I mean, it's not the John Lewis one so I don't have to hate it out of principle, but it's just another "feel good" story used to cynically sell a product that has nothing to do with the content of the advert. And that's how companies do Christmas adverts these days.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Try the same song in this format too. Don't spend too much time listening to these though because they destroy your brain and stop you getting to sleep at night.