Ladbrokes - Next Presenter Odds

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Ladbrokes - Next Presenter Odds

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

God help us with some of these suggestions.

Looks very fluid as a lot of names mentioned in a Ladbrokes news article have disappeared on their "bet now" bit.

Latest odds: 11:25pm, 7 December, merged with this earlier article.

2-1 Colin Murray
3-1 Carol Vorderman
4-1 Claire Balding
4-1 Paul O'Grady
9-2 Eamonn Holmes
5-1 Susan Calman
5-1 Shane Richie
11-2 Matt Baker
6-1 Sandi Toksvig
6-1 Moira Stuart
6-1 Jane Garvey
7-1 Jo Brand
7-1 Jeff Brazier
7-1 Sean Fletcher
8-1 Ben Shepherd
8-1 Davina McCall
8-1 Konnie Huq
8-1 Katherine Ryan (surely she wouldn't do the "proper" show?? on the other hand, she hosted a women's edition of Catsdown)
8-1 Penny Smith
8-1 John Barrowman
12-1 David Mitchell
16-1 Alexander Armstrong
25-1 Richard Osman
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Re: Ladbrokes - Next Presenter Odds

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

I LOVE that Carol is 2nd fave here!
Bring on the triumphant return of Vorders to the fold.

Also in favour of (in order of preference):
Richard Osman
John Barrowman
Moira Stuart
Eamonn Holmes
and of course the only Apterite who made the shortlist, Sean Fletcher! ;)
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Well done to anyone who was quick enough to back Colin Murray when he opened at 11/2. The article says others available on request. It seems you have to have twitter to request, can someone request odds on Mark Deeks please?
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Shane, Fuckin Richie
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Paul Anderson 16-1.

Er... OK.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Get on it lads...it'll be a small market...easily influenced.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:37 pm Paul Anderson 16-1.

Er... OK.
I've stuck a fiver on Paul - have learned not to underestimate the boy!
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Isn't that our 2021 budget? ;-)
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Paul Anderson wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:00 pm Get on it lads...it'll be a small market...easily influenced.
That's brilliant. Being officially shorter odds than Richard Osman to be next Countdown host is definitely one to screenshot, print, and frame for the wall 8-)
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Brilliant.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Martin Hurst wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:48 pm That's brilliant. Being officially shorter odds than Richard Osman to be next Countdown host is definitely one to screenshot, print, and frame for the wall 8-)
Not sure what he's done to be longer odds than me tbh
Carl Harrison
Rookie

Post by Carl Harrison »

Ok I thought you were joking, but yes Paul really has made the Ladbrokes page - level with Alexander Armstrong (who was considered previously I think)

https://sports.ladbrokes.com/event/tv-s ... ll-markets

Interesting there are so many women high up on the list. With Rachel and Susie as permanent fixtures I'd be surprised to see a woman host as well, I think the dynamic works better with a man. And if you exclude the women, Paul A is now 4th favourite for the job!

But Colin does seem to really be the front-runner - unlike any previous hosts, we've got the trial period of games he has already presented (to be broadcast soon), and if the Countdown team think those went well and he wants the job, it's surely as good as his. And if not, then step in everyone's favourite ZoomDown presenter... :lol:
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Hi guys, thanks for the support, it means a lot!

It would surely help my case to get some media coverage to the effect of "Who the hell is this PA chap and why is he on the list of favourites, despite me never having heard of him?"
I'm a huge fan of Colin btw, but I'd be a fool to not grasp this serendipitous opportunity with both hands.
Any ideas?
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Paul Anderson wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:40 am Hi guys, thanks for the support, it means a lot!

It would surely help my case to get some media coverage to the effect of "Who the hell is this PA chap and why is he on the list of favourites, despite me never having heard of him?"
I'm a huge fan of Colin btw, but I'd be a fool to not grasp this serendipitous opportunity with both hands.
Any ideas?
Someone email a paper covering the odds to do an article to confirm as to whether Peaky Blinders actor Paul Anderson is the "Paul Anderson" listed in the Ladbrokes odds? ;)

EDIT: Subsequently amended Paul's wiki page so that should anyone type "Paul Anderson Countdown" or along those lines, they shall be directed immediately to his page which will answer any of their questions!
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Thanks Tom, I appreciate it!
Trying the only contacts I have, which are the Irish Times and RTE.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

It's gonna be great when they cut the show down to 5 rounds because the host insists on listing every single letters max and going over boring alternative numbers solutions in painstaking detail.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

I know you're a letters man Jack, but some folk actually like the numbers too. ;-)
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

The odds have been removed as things stand
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Aye, I wonder what that says?

Market too small?
Or someone is about to be offered the job?
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Or they suspect a Peter Canavan (Tyrone GAA player who made top 3 in SPOTY voting, as loads of Nordies voted for him)
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

"Bookmakers will suspend betting on a sporting market when they think the odds are no longer a true reflection of the probability of all possible outcomes"

Ha, were they ever? So, they put the names out there in the hope of driving business through getting press coverage....they got that, and some bets.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Carol has tweeted the Mirror article on the rumours about her returning, with a caption "don't waste the bet"...
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Ooh? I wonder was that the trigger to suspend? Hers was the most clickbaity name included
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Moira Stuart could be fun. I thought of her and Clare Balding initially when I saw Nick was leaving. Colin Murray probably has first refusal though, as others have noted.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Pretty sure there were odds available for both Ned Pendleton and Tom Barnes to be named host when Jeff quit?

It's not the most, um, robust market to be pinning any sort of hopes on. (Obviously, because Mark wasn't on the list.)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:40 pm Pretty sure there were odds available for both Ned Pendleton and Tom Barnes to be named host when Jeff quit?

It's not the most, um, robust market to be pinning any sort of hopes on. (Obviously, because Mark wasn't on the list.)
Paul's a more credible option than random Toms, Deeks, or Neds who may privately fancy themselves for the job.
He is effectively in the middle of a 6 month long audition that Damian has been following closely.
And in less than a month's time, his onscreen chemistry with the show's lexicographer will have been gauged too.
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:40 pm Pretty sure there were odds available for both Ned Pendleton and Tom Barnes to be named host when Jeff quit?

Were either anywhere near 16-1?
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:40 pm It's not the most, um, robust market to be pinning any sort of hopes on.
Oh for sure, it’s good fun tho if nowt else comes of it.
We’re getting a Xmas boost anyway with her Highness on
Bring it on
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Seeming as the name Mark Deeks has been put forward a few times, check out the closest thing we currently have to a screentest for him.

So, verdict?
Can you picture him as host one day?
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

The thing is, if you're a random outsider, you've got to do more than just want the job.

You've got to put yourself out there and convince people you're serious - not a couple of jokey comments on the forum, but actually put your pride on the line, risk being laughed at, and tell TPTB that you want to be considered. Then when they say "ha ha" convince them you meant it. You know you're likely to get knocked back, you know people might laugh at you for ever thinking you were in with chance - but you still go for it.

And you know what? I've laughed at Paul's ambitions before. I thought Allan Saldahna would be pissed off at being approached by some random stranger he'd never heard of. I told him there wasn't a chance in hell he'd get Susie or Rachel on ZoomDown. I could go on. Paul's big dreams are amazing - unlike most of us he does his utmost to bring them to fruition - even while knowing failure is the most likely outcome.

Yeah, I still don't think he's got much hope, but I've definitely learned not to underestimate him. 16-1 seems fair!
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

Market is up until 2pm today.

Paul Anderson now 8-1 5th favourite.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Ha, the saga continues!

16's was certainly more enticing...will there be any bites at 8's?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Is that list of odds for real/

If you wanted to guarantee a pay-out of £1000 on who will win the Premier League, and decided to place a bet on all 20 teams it would cost you a little over £1100. Maybe £700 split between Liverpool and Manchester City, and about 20p each on Fulham and West Brom.

If you did the same on the list of odds that started this off it would cost you over £3000, with no certainty that the ultimate winner is even there. I don't imagine Nick Hewer made the bookies 'long list' last time round. With this sort of thing the initial odds are just to get some money in from the gullible which they will use to pay out on the flurry of insider bets at the end.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Yeah, it's just a clickbait type list to get their business advertised in the press
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Fiona T wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:28 am The thing is, if you're a random outsider, you've got to do more than just want the job.

You've got to put yourself out there and convince people you're serious - not a couple of jokey comments on the forum, but actually put your pride on the line, risk being laughed at, and tell TPTB that you want to be considered. Then when they say "ha ha" convince them you meant it. You know you're likely to get knocked back, you know people might laugh at you for ever thinking you were in with chance - but you still go for it.

And you know what? I've laughed at Paul's ambitions before. I thought Allan Saldahna would be pissed off at being approached by some random stranger he'd never heard of. I told him there wasn't a chance in hell he'd get Susie or Rachel on ZoomDown. I could go on. Paul's big dreams are amazing - unlike most of us he does his utmost to bring them to fruition - even while knowing failure is the most likely outcome.

Yeah, I still don't think he's got much hope, but I've definitely learned not to underestimate him. 16-1 seems fair!
I know this is a waste of forum inches,
but gonna just quote Fiona's comment in its entirety and say...

"+1."

Got this spot on.
It is very exciting that Paul's bid is something that WILL get attention from those making the decision.
I told all of this to my sister today... the long gossipy story of Paul Anderson and his full "Countdown journey" incl inter-clique politics, the slow but steady rise of Zoomdown etc... and she was gripped by the tale, and is now firmly rooting for him to become the new host (and she could not give two craps about Countdown or the wider Countdapto empire.) It would be a real Cinderella* tale... and I expect many of the public and casual fans of the show would see it as such.

(*Though Paul's prettier than Cinderella. I won't go down the 'statistician' route and name who the ugly sister equivalents are in our version of the tale! :lol: )
Last edited by L'oisleatch McGraw on Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

It's 100% a community-power feelgood story. I feel like we are a small town and Paul is our non-league football team qualifying for the FA Cup. Sure he'll probably get smashed by one of the Premier League big teams like Colin Murray United or whoever, but he's in the running for sure and if he can get that far, why not win?!

Having said all that, I stand firmly behind #Deeks2021.
Paul Anderson
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Anderson »

Aw thanks guys!

Cinderella United! Love the cup run analogy, hopefully we go far and cover our budget for the next few seasons.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Give it to Susie Dent
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ben Wilson wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:54 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:00 pm Damon Hill confirmed.
Rick Astley confirmed.
Apropos etc., do you know the Rick Astley paradox?
If you ask him to borrow his favourite Pixar film he will never give you Up and by definition he will let you down