Series 82 Finals Predictions (With Poll)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Who do you think will be the Grand Champion of Series 82?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:55 pm

Luke Johnson-Davies
67%
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
24%
Leo Smith
5%
Ian Volante
5%
Ryan Styles
No votes
Phil Hulme
No votes
Damien Doughty
No votes
David Kempshall
No votes

Total votes: 21

Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Series 82 Finals Predictions (With Poll)

Post by Ryan Lam »

So, with just five Preliminaries of Series 82 yet to air as of the time of writing and after a long and excruciating 2020 for all of us, we now know who are the final eight and here they are! (Obviously I was waiting to see how Leo Smith would perform today so that I could arrange the poll in the correct order)

Quarter-Finals #1 (10 December): Luke Johnson-Davies (#1 Seed) vs David Kempshall (#8 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #2 (11 December): Sam Cappleman-Lynes (#2 Seed) vs Damien Doughty (#7 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #3 (14 December): Leo Smith (#3 Seed) vs Phil Hulme (#6 Seed)
Quarter-Finals #4 (15 December): Ian Volante (#4 Seed) vs Ryan Styles (#5 Seed)

Well it would have been embarrassing in a sort of sense if we didn't have all eight finalists as Octochamps given that this has been the longest Series ever in Countdown's 38 year run eh? It's a shame that there was no in-person audience to witness all these recordings, but hey, I'm sure all eight of them will provide us with a lot of entertainment to come next week!

This year has surely been a rollercoaster for all of us, but Countdown has still managed to produce our second ever 1000-club member Luke at the start of the year as well as an Octochamp closer to the end of the Series! It might take some time for all of us to remember how they performed all those months ago but I'm sure reading the recaps should be sufficient enough :) Let's see how the battles go during this unusual run-up to Christmas!

I'm not going to be sharing any predictions and will be writing a review of the episode each day as per the last four Series, so if you have any feel free to post them here! :)

(P.S. I promised Gavin last year I would close the poll on the day the first Quarter-Final airs, but because of the extraordinary circumstances this year, I will close the poll on the day the fourth Quarter-Final airs AND you will be allowed to change your vote, an option which I did not allow for the last two years I've been doing this. Finally, if you happen to be reading this in the near future, apologies but you will not be able to vote.)
Last edited by Ryan Lam on Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Re: Series 82 Finals Predictions (With Poll)

Post by Ian Volante »

We did all turn up :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Ian Volante wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:55 pm We did all turn up :)
Thanks for clarifying! All the best to you and the other seven finalists!!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The mathematics, for me, make it a Luke / Sam toss-up, but Luke just edges it by 0.2%.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

So there we have it, Luke's won, and the majority wins once more like the last Series! :)