Do you have a pet?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Do you have a pet?

Post by Marc Meakin »

What pet do you have.
I have just got a French Bulldog.
It's the first time I have had a " companion dog"
It's lucky my missus works from home
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Do you have a pet?

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was sure I must have posted something about this before, but in my search I at least found out the Marc wouldn't care too much if his bulldog died.

But anyway, I've always thought that unless you're a child or chronically lonely, having a pet is a bit weird. I mean anything "less" than a dog or a cat is completely pointless anyway, because they're unlikely to remotely give a shit about you.

But even with a dog/cat, what are they for? People often seem to treat their pets as babies. But I think there's something a bit degenerate getting a baby substitute that you know is never going to "grow up" and seemingly just having it to be "cute". And as a companion, why would you want a being so vastly mentally inferior to you? As I say, I can understand if you live alone and don't have much human contact, but if you have a generally fulfilling social/family life, I'd say stick with humans. They're mostly cunts, but at least most of them can hold a conversation.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 pm I was sure I must have posted something about this before, but in my search I at least found out the Marc wouldn't care too much if his bulldog died.

But anyway, I've always thought that unless you're a child or chronically lonely, having a pet is a bit weird. I mean anything "less" than a dog or a cat is completely pointless anyway, because they're unlikely to remotely give a shit about you.

But even with a dog/cat, what are they for? People often seem to treat their pets as babies. But I think there's something a bit degenerate getting a baby substitute that you know is never going to "grow up" and seemingly just having it to be "cute". And as a companion, why would you want a being so vastly mentally inferior to you? As I say, I can understand if you live alone and don't have much human contact, but if you have a generally fulfilling social/family life, I'd say stick with humans. They're mostly cunts, but at least most of them can hold a conversation.
In my defense I was off my head with bipolar disorder.
Her pet was a cat and the circumstances on which it died was the catalyst for the break up of my relationship.
And it was a fickle cat so it don't count 😀.

I did want to get into a debate about raw food versus kibble but I needed to canvass dog owners.

Also Gev , as a vegan I would think giving it meat would not sit well with you
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:11 pm I was sure I must have posted something about this before, but in my search I at least found out the Marc wouldn't care too much if his bulldog died.

I've no idea why dogs are enjoyable, and I feel for anyone that has to deal with having one. That said, I've got four.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I got bitten by one of these stupid pets today - a dog. A tiny dog. It's lucky I wasn't up for continuing the fight. A four-year-old could have taken this thing. The owner was all apologetic about it and quite embarrassed, and also knew who I was because she knows my sister. She said it had never happened before. I'm not sure what you're supposed to do/say. It would have been a bit weird to get angry, but if I had got angry, it would have been more about the entire concept of people keeping these creatures with sharp teeth as "pets" and letting them loose in public. I mean, people have bred these things down from wolves to these stupid little things, so couldn't they have done something about the teeth while they were at it? They don't need sharp teeth to eat the that mush they feed dogs.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Get yourself a tetanus jab. And yeah you should probably report it. Little yappy dog unlikely to seriously maul you but it could bite a child and do some damage. So often get chased by dogs when I'm on my bike in the woods, and got bitten (enough to scratch and bruise, not properly punctured) in Ireland when on a quiet road. Not suggesting these dogs are properly "dangerous" but there is a duty on the owner to keep them under control.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

If the dog bite has broken the skin then you need a jab.
I realised I need to update my post as I now have an English Bulldog as well as the Frenchie.
I
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I rang my surgery and they told me to come in. They gave me a tetanus jab and some antibiotics. The nurse told me I could report it but stopped short of saying I should report it. The dog's owner said she would keep it on a lead from now on, so there is that. It's a bit awkward reporting it because presumably it's likely to get back to her in some way, and it would be obvious who reported it. And she knows my sister.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:26 pm I rang my surgery and they told me to come in. They gave me a tetanus jab and some antibiotics. The nurse told me I could report it but stopped short of saying I should report it. The dog's owner said she would keep it on a lead from now on, so there is that. It's a bit awkward reporting it because presumably it's likely to get back to her in some way, and it would be obvious who reported it. And she knows my sister.
You're in good company

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-67453626
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Marc Meakin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 9:14 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:26 pm I rang my surgery and they told me to come in. They gave me a tetanus jab and some antibiotics. The nurse told me I could report it but stopped short of saying I should report it. The dog's owner said she would keep it on a lead from now on, so there is that. It's a bit awkward reporting it because presumably it's likely to get back to her in some way, and it would be obvious who reported it. And she knows my sister.
You're in good company

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-67453626
As is he

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-67015811
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

NO!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum