Joke Items

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Re: Joke Items

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:48 pm

Mark James wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:45 pm
Strimmers.
I'm with you when it comes to changing the cartridge
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:20 am

Marc Meakin wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:55 am
Next time you go bowling , sometime in 2023/4 , try to bring extra footwear , play two games , one with bowling shoes on and one without and compare scores
Good news on the bowling front , you can now wear your own shoes when bowling centres re-open

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:55 am

The word "garlicky". Such a horrific construction with "licky" in it and the k is arbitrary anyway. It should be "garliccy" and that's how I will spell it from now on (if I ever need to write it). Similarly it should be "panicced", not "panicked" (though I won't insist on this spelling). You double up letters, not arbitrarily add a letter that happens to be pronounced the same way.

Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:19 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:55 am
The word "garlicky". Such a horrific construction with "licky" in it and the k is arbitrary anyway. It should be "garliccy" and that's how I will spell it from now on (if I ever need to write it). Similarly it should be "panicced", not "panicked" (though I won't insist on this spelling). You double up letters, not arbitrarily add a letter that happens to be pronounced the same way.
It’s not really arbitrary, inasmuch as all spelling rules are somewhat arbitrary. The k has an unambiguous pronunciation (unless it’s silent before an n) unlike c, so using a k is an improvement to doubling up. If you were complaining why ‘garlic’ is not spelled ‘garlik’ then there’s at least something in that.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:55 am

Conor wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:19 am
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:55 am
It’s not really arbitrary, inasmuch as all spelling rules are somewhat arbitrary. The k has an unambiguous pronunciation (unless it’s silent before an n) unlike c, so using a k is an improvement to doubling up. If you were complaining why ‘garlic’ is not spelled ‘garlik’ then there’s at least something in that.
Sure, but the main thing here is the horrificy of "gar-licky".

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 pm

Other joke words include "suffrage" and "emancipation". These words have probably not been used in normal conversation for at least a hundred years, but for some reason they crop up as "women's suffrage" and "emancipation of women" as if people talking about these can't do so using without resorting to some archaic form of the language. Neither really work as positive words anyway because they have a negative feel about them. "Suffrage" is too much like "suffering" and "emancipate" is too much like "emaciate". "How was Dave when you saw him today?" "Not good actually. I don't think he's been eating properly. He's really emancipated."

Fiona T
Enthusiast

Post by Fiona T » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:21 pm

Well if we're on words that sound like they mean something entirely different to what they do, I give you bucolic. Sounds like a particularly nasty ailment of the bowels. The dictionary gives "Relating to the pleasant aspects of the countryside and country life." So that's nice.
8-) <-2m-> 8-)

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:33 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:44 pm
Other joke words include "suffrage" and "emancipation". These words have probably not been used in normal conversation for at least a hundred years, but for some reason they crop up as "women's suffrage" and "emancipation of women" as if people talking about these can't do so using without resorting to some archaic form of the language. Neither really work as positive words anyway because they have a negative feel about them. "Suffrage" is too much like "suffering" and "emancipate" is too much like "emaciate". "How was Dave when you saw him today?" "Not good actually. I don't think he's been eating properly. He's really emancipated."
Chocaholic.....in fact any holic suffixes apart from alcoholic and words that don't mean addiction to.....

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:36 am

I was going to make a topic on joke words but I didn't think it would have legs , but maybe it's time

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Nautical miles.

Marc Meakin
Postmaster General

Post by Marc Meakin » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:11 pm