30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9663
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:41 pm

Arthur Bennett wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:04 pm
Magnificent post by a magnificent guy, Conor. :D ;)
James Robinson wrote:Apparently, only 570,000 turned up to watch the final on Friday....................: https://twitter.com/TVRatingsUK/status/ ... 7879270401 (Well, at least we beat The Common Denominator) :D
:(

Still can't see Countdown moving back to 3:10 any day soon, though...
And this was the last of your 21 posts, having made your first less than a week previously. Didn't you want to stick around? :o

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9663
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:43 pm

Having watched this tournament a second time, including the final today (with its record-equalling score and Conor's ascension to all-time greatness), I'm still going with Jack Worsley v Graeme Cole as game of the tournament. Change my mind. (That's what they say these days isn't it?)

User avatar
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by Bradley Horrocks » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:25 pm

Andy Platt wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm not Jack's PR agent or anything but I know Jack well enough to know that he'd still go for it. It would be a farce otherwise, it's not a practice game on apterous, it's a record that would presumably have literally stood forever, bearing in mind the upcoming change in format 12 games into the next series (presuming no miracles) so if you're going to do it, you have to do it properly.
That hasn't aged well :P

Great to have these games shown again, I didn't see the 30BC the first time it was aired. Fitting finale for 8 class weeks of Countdown.
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1676
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by Graeme Cole » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:51 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:43 pm
Change my mind.
No.

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter
Posts: 1208
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by Thomas Carey » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:09 pm

Bradley Horrocks wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:25 pm
Andy Platt wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm not Jack's PR agent or anything but I know Jack well enough to know that he'd still go for it. It would be a farce otherwise, it's not a practice game on apterous, it's a record that would presumably have literally stood forever, bearing in mind the upcoming change in format 12 games into the next series (presuming no miracles) so if you're going to do it, you have to do it properly.
That hasn't aged well :P

Great to have these games shown again, I didn't see the 30BC the first time it was aired. Fitting finale for 8 class weeks of Countdown.
It's still the record for that format, which is what Andy was getting at lmao
cheers maus

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9663
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:01 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:09 pm
Bradley Horrocks wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:25 pm
Andy Platt wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm not Jack's PR agent or anything but I know Jack well enough to know that he'd still go for it. It would be a farce otherwise, it's not a practice game on apterous, it's a record that would presumably have literally stood forever, bearing in mind the upcoming change in format 12 games into the next series (presuming no miracles) so if you're going to do it, you have to do it properly.
That hasn't aged well :P

Great to have these games shown again, I didn't see the 30BC the first time it was aired. Fitting finale for 8 class weeks of Countdown.
It's still the record for that format, which is what Andy was getting at lmao
You beat me to it anyway but I was going to do my reply with the red writing.

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by Fred Mumford » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:43 am

I interpreted it the same way as Bradley and wonder if you are both being too generous. Andy needs to tell us. Wouldn't it have been a perfectly reasonable assumption that the lost opportunity for an extra 18 points would make the 146 seem safer? The new format was always going to increase the overall averages, but I don't think it helped record attempts.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9663
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:47 am

Fred Mumford wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:43 am
I interpreted it the same way as Bradley and wonder if you are both being too generous. Andy needs to tell us. Wouldn't it have been a perfectly reasonable assumption that the lost opportunity for an extra 18 points would make the 146 seem safer? The new format was always going to increase the overall averages, but I don't think it helped record attempts.
The bit in red! It's not open to interpretation!

Fred Mumford
Enthusiast
Posts: 320
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by Fred Mumford » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:30 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:47 am
The bit in red! It's not open to interpretation!
Actually, on re-reading it, it's the "presuming no miracles" bit that makes me grudgingly concede that you are probably right. That's two minutes of my Saturday morning that I'll never get back. As you were.

User avatar
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:53 pm

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by Bradley Horrocks » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:08 am

Fair enough, I can see how it was meant now! Though when we refer to Elliott's 152, it's referred to as 'the record', so Andy was possibly overstating the importance of the record for the old format.
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH

JackHurst
Series 63 Champion
Posts: 1322
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:40 pm
Location: Leics

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by JackHurst » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:05 pm

Interesting that people talk about records in terms of format when arguably a bigger factor is Lexicon.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9663
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:39 pm

JackHurst wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:05 pm
Interesting that people talk about records in terms of format when arguably a bigger factor is Lexicon.
But it can't really be done. There have been so many dictionary changes, and also on top of that rule changes about American spellings, mass nouns etc. And now that we have the online dictionary it's even worse because it doesn't come in editions and can change from one day to the next without anyone knowing.

User avatar
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10073
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Mirfield, West Yorkshire

Re: 30BC Grand Final Spoilers For Friday March 1st 2013

Post by James Robinson » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:57 pm

Grand Final 2020 Word Update

The max would have increased by two points (from 149 to 151) if played today, as there was a 7 available in Round 11 and an 8 available in Round 13, that weren't around in 2013.

New Words Now Allowed:

R1: HAPTENIC, PANTHEIC
R2: GLUMOSE, MOILERS, MORGIES, MOULIES, MULIERS, OGREISM, RELIGOS, ROUEISM
R4: RESTAINED
R7: AFTIES, FASTIE, GOAFTS
R11: MOBIKES (increases MAX from 6 to 7)
R12: AUDAX
R13: PEMOEDAS (increases MAX from 7 to 8)
CO:WY 2020 5th SEPTEMBER (HOPEFULLY...🤞🤞🤞)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest