Trade Secrets

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Martyn Simpson
Rookie

Re: Trade Secrets

Post by Martyn Simpson »

What about if you live round my way, where most women are grandmothers by the time they hit 30?
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Richard Adams wrote:Juvenile? That's another pan of sausages altogether.

Lesley's grandson and granddaughter were both adult and consenting.
Am I the only one that needed several minutes to mentally re-create that sentence as "The grandson and granddaughter from Lesley's example were both..."?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

What has my thread become :(
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

You're worried? I report something that (admittedly may or may not be true - didn't check it out terribly thoroughly cos I didn't want to think about it too much) was the result of a fairly animated conversation with a copper, and the next thing I know I've got grandchildren! Who are at it! My life! :shock: :lol: :shock:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote: I report something that (admittedly may or may not be true - didn't check it out terribly thoroughly cos I didn't want to think about it too much) was the result of a fairly animated conversation with a copper
I think the real trade secret here is that the police generally have very sketchy knowledge of the law.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote: I report something that (admittedly may or may not be true - didn't check it out terribly thoroughly cos I didn't want to think about it too much) was the result of a fairly animated conversation with a copper
I think the real trade secret here is that the police generally have very sketchy knowledge of the law.
***LIKE***
(Although I should put in this case the copper was my sister who has two undergraduate degrees and several post-graduate qualifications, is absolutely no muppet, and lectures for the OU in her spare time when she's not inspectoring).
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

McDonald's pro tip: 6 chicken nuggets = £2.25. 4 chicken nuggets: £0.99. Life-changing.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon O'Neill wrote:McDonald's pro tip: 6 chicken nuggets = £2.25. 4 chicken nuggets: £0.99. Life-changing.
And another: Large meal, +50p. Potato wedges, +50p. Both, +50p. So if you're getting potato wedges you might as well get the large meal. (This is open knowledge on the price list, but it's phrased in a deliberately confusing way IMO.)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

and why not get creative while you eat

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Ah bollix. Sound.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Crap hoax, but then I'd read the bollix comment before viewing. Why don't youtube remove it?

Rechargeable batteries are the way to go, certainly for AA and AAA size which are readily available as are their chargers. I can't understand why anyone uses non-rechargeables. Yes, they're expensive to start off with, and you have to buy double the amount you use so that you can keep some charged up ready, but the savings in the long term (as well as to the planet) are huge.
I've been using them for donkeys years, and my kids have grown up with remembering to keep charging up batteries for their gadgets so they're not stuck when their current ones run out.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Julie T wrote:Crap hoax, but then I'd read the bollix comment before viewing. Why don't youtube remove it?
:? Why should YouTube remove it? It hardly qualifies as a "hoax" anyway, unless you can't read, seeing as the opening title says GAGFILMS in large cartoony letters.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

On the batteries subject, I keep getting an on screen message that the batteries in my Sky remote need changing but I don't change them and they last another six months. Could this be a ploy between Sky and the battery companies to get you to buy batteries when you don't need to?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Mark James wrote:On the batteries subject, I keep getting an on screen message that the batteries in my Sky remote need changing but I don't change them and they last another six months. Could this be a ploy between Sky and the battery companies to get you to buy batteries when you don't need to?
Six months? Am currently on three years of extra use on the set in front of me at the moment in Devon. Admittedly these days the remote only gets used during Christmas/Easter/Summer holidays and some half terms, but at least the first year after the batteries message first popped up the remote was being used nearly ever day before I moved to London.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Mark James wrote:On the batteries subject, I keep getting an on screen message that the batteries in my Sky remote need changing but I don't change them and they last another six months. Could this be a ploy between Sky and the battery companies to get you to buy batteries when you don't need to?
Six months? Am currently on three years of extra use on the set in front of me at the moment in Devon. Admittedly these days the remote only gets used during Christmas/Easter/Summer holidays and some half terms, but at least the first year after the batteries message first popped up the remote was being used nearly ever day before I moved to London.
Six months wasn't an exact number, it was just something to put down to make the point. It can be shorter or longer than that. Sometimes the message appears cause I'm not pointing the remote at the box properly or something is blocking the infra red thing on the box.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah sorry. Didn't mean to accuse you of not using your remote enough or being a battery ponce or anything. Meant to agree with you, those messages are massively ignorable.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Indeed, and when the thing finally does seem to have given up the ghost, just take the batteries out and put them back in again. You can get at least another couple of years out of them that way.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Haha yeah I love doing that. Batteries are a funny thing.
I have a rechargeable battery charger that isn't massively old, only 5 or 6 years, but has seen a lot of use, and it constantly gives me aggro with the LEDs.
I have to keep tapping the batteries or spinning them round or taking them in and out before the lights will come on to say they are charging, though I've never bothered trying to find out whether it's just the LEDs failing or if they really are a true sign and its the metal contacts that are dying.

In other battery news, I remember always being told not to mix batteries of different charges or different brands when I was younger, I've never paid much attention to that advice either, and never paid for it (unless charging empty batteries with half full ones is what has killed my charger prematurely).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote: you have to buy double the amount you use so that you can keep some charged up ready
Surely you only need as many as might reasonably run out at once?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julie T wrote: you have to buy double the amount you use so that you can keep some charged up ready
Surely you only need as many as might reasonably run out at once?
In theory, yes. In practice, having plenty avoids arguments if you have multiple kids depleting batteries in their gadgets at any one time. It also means that there are spares for when a new gadget is bought.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Phil Reynolds wrote: the opening title says GAGFILMS in large cartoony letters.
Now I want to gag.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm
Any news on these batteries?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Have you ever tried dunking biscuits in orange juice instead of that borderline toxic brown liquid that people sometimes use? It helps if it's the higher quality freshly squeezed stuff. You are very welcome.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 pm Have you ever tried dunking biscuits in orange juice instead of that borderline toxic brown liquid that people sometimes use? It helps if it's the higher quality freshly squeezed stuff. You are very welcome.
That sounds disgusting.
Although I have been known to dip toast in that borderline toxic brown stuff (coffee in my case )
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Peanut butter with Marmite is better than you think
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

It's exactly as good as I think it is.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:23 pm It's exactly as good as I think it is.
Same here.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ian Volante wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:08 pm
Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:56 pm
Any news on these batteries?
Tut.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

We got a Sky Q box with new batteries about a year ago. As far as know the other ones are still working.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

My mouse/keyboard batteries seem to need changing every few weeks. No idea what I'm doing wrong. :(
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Fiona T wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:25 pm My mouse/keyboard batteries seem to need changing every few weeks. No idea what I'm doing wrong. :(
You're using a mouse and keyboard that need batteries. That's what you're doing wrong.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:42 pm
Fiona T wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:25 pm My mouse/keyboard batteries seem to need changing every few weeks. No idea what I'm doing wrong. :(
You're using a mouse and keyboard that need batteries. That's what you're doing wrong.
But they are sleek and beautiful. As long as your keyboard doesn't give up mid apto-round.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Not sure if this is a trade secret or something I've only just realised.
When preparing jam on Bread , toast etc.
Use a tea spoon to get the jam out of the jar rather than use the knife you use for the butter.
Also works for peanut butter and marmalade ( not together though ....unless )
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:19 am
Use a tea spoon to get the jam out of the jar rather than use the knife you use for the butter.
Using the same knife for the butter and the marmalade/jam/marmite is a heinous crime in the Worsley household, and still policed officiously by Mrs W, even after 29 years of marriage.

Crumbs of toast in the Lurpak is another big no no. Full Metal Jacket style inspections can occur at anytime and without warning.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I have to use kitchen roll on the knife after every spread.
Maybe I should use the spoon for the butter too.

My stepson in-law says that he used to use a spoon ( the bottom ) to butter the bread , when he worked in a sandwich shop .
Apparently it's the best way to avoid damaging the bread
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:19 am Not sure if this is a trade secret or something I've only just realised.
Isn't it just obvious that if you don't want to get one thing contaminated with another you use a different implement (or clean in between uses)?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:02 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:19 am Not sure if this is a trade secret or something I've only just realised.
Isn't it just obvious that if you don't want to get one thing contaminated with another you use a different implement (or clean in between uses)?
I counter , if it was obvious , to me , I wouldn't have posted it 🙂
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:44 pm
In other battery news, I remember always being told not to mix batteries of different charges or different brands when I was younger, I've never paid much attention to that advice either, and never paid for it (unless charging empty batteries with half full ones is what has killed my charger prematurely).
In more other battery news, I have a Flex from about 1987 and the batteries have never been changed. Every so often I turn it on, and it always works.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

A good quality vodka tastes better out of the fridge. The same is true for gin.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

Paul Worsley wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:21 pm A good quality vodka tastes better out of the fridge. The same is true for gin.
Co-incidentally I was zoom-chatting to a mate yesterday who was making bacon vodka. His next project is bacon gin.

I once proposed the hypothesis that there is no dish in existence that cannot be improved by either the addition of bacon, or the addition of gin.

He's combining the two - this might just be the perfect lockdown breakfast!
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I agree with the chilled vodka ...don't like any gin though.

On the subject of alcohol , I cannot stand hot alcoholic drinks
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Paul Worsley wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:21 pm A good quality vodka tastes better out of the fridge. The same is true for gin.
Surely this effect is even more pronounced for poor-quality alcohol?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Ian Volante wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:40 pm
Surely this effect is even more pronounced for poor-quality alcohol?
I'm sure taste bud impairment must be affected around 4 degrees C or so
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I thought everyone knew this, but apparently not...

If you use gmail/googlemail then you can add +anything to your name and your email still gets to you. gmail and googlemail are also interchangeable, and it will happily ignore extra dots.

so if you set up your account as

joe.bloggs@gmail.com

then

joebloggs+foo@googlemail.com or any other variation will still mean your emails get to you :)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Is it useful for anything though? Why would I want to stick + after my name?

Edit - I suppose you can see which company is responsible for your spam if you put +companyname after your address when you buy anything?
Sam Cappleman-Lynes
Enthusiast

Post by Sam Cappleman-Lynes »

This is a good way of setting up filters to ignore emails from particular online services: if you know you aren't going to care about emails from the Doohickey Company but they force you to sign up with an email address to buy a Doohickey from them, then use joebloggs+doohickey@gmail.com and filter away

And another use for this feature is that it lets you see which companies are being loose-handed with your personal info. If you sign up to the Dodgy Company with joebloggs+dodgy@gmail.com and you start getting deluged with advertisements sent to that address, you know exactly who to blame.

EDIT: Gevin has now explicitly asked the question that I was implicitly answering with this post
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

If you want multiple accounts on some platform then they are generally not clever enough to distinguish between the above as well.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

what the others said - use joe.bloggs+company@gmail.com and you know who's leaked your data.

Working in IT I use it all the time for testing stuff where I want multiple accounts - joe bloggs must be getting a lot of crap email! ;)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

That is handy, I never knew. If only I liked the gmail interface!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

If you go to https://youtube.com./ (note the .) then you'll get a totally ad-free YouTube experience (well, until they cotton on and stop this working of course).

e.g. https://www.youtube.com./watch?v=no1vf854aUc

The . at the end of a host name is ignored by DNS servers, so youtube.com. resolves to the same place as youtube.com
Many sites check in their .htaccess file that the user is on the right domain, and forward them to the right one if not, but youtube don't currently do this.
They then try to load their ads from youtube.com (without the .) and they’re blocked by CORS for breaking cross domain policies.

EDIT - thought they'd fixed it already for a moment, but no, phpBB is removing the dot - so copy and paste rather than click these links to see what I mean.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

If you are in any way in the public eye or work for the government or any major corporation , now would be the time to have a cull of your social media output for anything that could vote you in the arse politically.
Or if you can't be bothered just make a blanket apology for everything casually or otherwise racist , sexist or homophobic.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Fiona and Matt dropping absolute wisdom bombs here.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Instead of snacking on unhealthy potato crisps, trying Yushoi. They're much healthier and actually taste quite nice. The "plain" flavour have 19.4 grams of protein per 100 grams, compared to 6.1 for Walkers plain. And they're baked rather than fried. I'm not going to pretend they're better than good crisps, but for a daily thing rather than a special treat, I think they work very well.
Matt Rutherford
Acolyte

Post by Matt Rutherford »

Not so useful at the moment, but when the time comes to make train journeys again, Real Time Trains (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ also comes in a paid app on mobile) lets you know which platform your train is going from before they announce it (for most major stations, they don't tell you straight away and leave you in a foot-race with your fellow passengers when they do bell it over the PA). This lets you get there before the stampede.

Also, head towards the front of the train. Most people can't be arsed with the walk and any trains that do have first-class (when leaving London) will put those carriages closest to the barriers. Those towards the back fill up fast. I've been on trains leaving London stations that have the rearmost standard class carriage rafter-packed whilst the front has been virtually abandoned.
England's most socially-awkward churchgoer
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

c4c advice from a seasoned user of this forum:
Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:08 am Gevin's comments should be taken with a pinch of salt
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:46 pm Instead of snacking on unhealthy potato crisps, trying Yushoi. They're much healthier and actually taste quite nice. The "plain" flavour have 19.4 grams of protein per 100 grams, compared to 6.1 for Walkers plain. And they're baked rather than fried. I'm not going to pretend they're better than good crisps, but for a daily thing rather than a special treat, I think they work very well.
Just bought some yushoi.....will give my feedback in due course
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Rutherford wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:48 am Not so useful at the moment, but when the time comes to make train journeys again, Real Time Trains (https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/ also comes in a paid app on mobile) lets you know which platform your train is going from before they announce it (for most major stations, they don't tell you straight away and leave you in a foot-race with your fellow passengers when they do bell it over the PA). This lets you get there before the stampede.

Also, head towards the front of the train. Most people can't be arsed with the walk and any trains that do have first-class (when leaving London) will put those carriages closest to the barriers. Those towards the back fill up fast. I've been on trains leaving London stations that have the rearmost standard class carriage rafter-packed whilst the front has been virtually abandoned.
I do like some of the use that's been made of the open rail data. I did however one day find that one of the third-party apps didn't pick up an cancellations, which was a blimmin nuisance.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Marc Meakin wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:49 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:46 pm Instead of snacking on unhealthy potato crisps, trying Yushoi. They're much healthier and actually taste quite nice. The "plain" flavour have 19.4 grams of protein per 100 grams, compared to 6.1 for Walkers plain. And they're baked rather than fried. I'm not going to pretend they're better than good crisps, but for a daily thing rather than a special treat, I think they work very well.
Just bought some yushoi.....will give my feedback in due course
Very nice.... Low calorie high protein .
Pea based snacks sounds a lot worse than what they tastes like