Championship of Champions XIII -- Official Draw

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Championship of Champions XIII -- Official Draw

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mike Brown wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Yeah, from what I understand the final must have been recorded on the 13th November and the spoiler put up on the 14th. If it is as I understand, it seems a bit of a schoolboy error!
Or maybe it was just a typo. Yes, the final was recorded on the 13th, as has been widely reported, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I agree that it might increase the probability, but don't let it spoil the outcome of the series for you! The person in bold may, or may not, have become series champion.
I did consider the typo option as well but it was too boring.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I did consider the typo option as well but it was too boring.
Fair comment. I know you enjoy a good conspiracy theory!
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Matthew, I think you have massively overrated David O'Donnell, who although being a very good player is no Julian Fell and is not a level above 5 or 6 other players there. He sometimes spots very obscure words, but also misses a lot of maximums and is prone to missing easy words like 'waiter'. Jon Corby is the favourite for me because he is probably the most practised and best player there, although I don't think he's much better than a few others. I think you've generally underrated the closeness in quality of the top 7 or so players and the openness of the competition; it's between at least 7 players rather than the 3 you have highlighted. Also, you've underrated Anita Freeland a bit, who is a very good player and very nearly won Series 56, and Junaid Mubeen, whose level of performance online is as good as anyone's.

Corby 3/1
O'Donnell 4/1
Mubeen 4/1
Briers 5/1
Reams 5/1
Wainwright 5/1
Hurrell 5/1
Brittain 6/1
Priest 9/1
Freeland 13/1
Coles 14/1
Laddiman 18/1
Warren 30/1
Baines 30/1
Webby 40/1
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Richard Brittain wrote:Matthew, I think you have massively overrated David O'Donnell, who although being a very good player is no Julian Fell
What the f*ck do you mean by that? Oh, wait . ... I get it .. you mean the way I can actually do the numbers... sometimes - I see. Only kidding - obviously! I think that's a fair comment from Richard Brittain/the real Richard Brittain/the fake Richard Brittain/continuity Richard Brittain/I can't believe it's not f*cking Richard Brittain.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

I see what you've done there Richard with Jon...

You are playing him in the first round so you are trying to make him over confident....

Also, I understand you beat him the other night playing online. ;)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Richard Brittain wrote:Matthew, I think you have massively overrated David O'Donnell, who although being a very good player is no Julian Fell and is not a level above 5 or 6 other players there. He sometimes spots very obscure words, but also misses a lot of maximums and is prone to missing easy words like 'waiter'.

I understand you've said this to knock him down a peg or two but to be fair, in his octochamp run, he got over 88% of the maximum allowed. This is the 2nd best ever, behind Craig Beevers (Chris Wills and Julian Fell's stats are yet to be updated). I think the stats talk for themselves...
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

There wasn't any devious intent behind my predictions.. I am just giving you my honest opinion.

To tell you the truth, my real hope is that Charles Reams win the CoC, but only because it will stick in the craw of Julian Fell, who I understand is racist against blonde people.

Also, Kirk, those stats don't really mean anything to me. Miss a couple more nines and solve a few less conundrums and suddenly his percentage is down near 80.. There's nothing in it. Anyway, as Craig Beevers said, it will probably just come down to who decides to do the most practise and learn the most obscure words in the weeks leading up to it. Someone like Jonathan Coles might suddenly decide to train solidly for 10 hours straight every day for 2 weeks.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Richard Brittain wrote:Miss a couple more nines and solve a few less conundrums and suddenly his percentage is down near 80.
Somewhat impossible, I missed 3 nines out of 4 available ;) .
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Richard Brittain wrote:Matthew, I think you have massively overrated David O'Donnell, who although being a very good player is no Julian Fell
What the f*ck do you mean by that? Oh, wait . ... I get it .. you mean the way I can actually do the numbers... sometimes - I see. Only kidding - obviously! I think that's a fair comment from Richard Brittain/the real Richard Brittain/the fake Richard Brittain/continuity Richard Brittain/I can't believe it's not f*cking Richard Brittain.
Has someone swapped the * symbol on your keyboard for the 'i'?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Richard Brittain wrote: To tell you the truth, my real hope is that Charles Reams win the CoC, but only because it will stick in the craw of Julian Fell, who I understand is racist against blonde people.
There's so much wrong with that sentence I'm not even gonna reply.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Richard Brittain wrote: To tell you the truth, my real hope is that Charles Reams win the CoC, but only because it will stick in the craw of Julian Fell, who I understand is racist against blonde people.
There's so much wrong with that sentence I'm not even gonna reply.
Oops, too late!
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Well my offer to take real bets stands so if you want the 6/4 on Corby or the 16s on Coles feel free to send me a cheque.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Only 14 of the original 16 are likely to take part, so we'll be inviting 2 new players.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Damian E wrote:Only 14 of the original 16 are likely to take part, so we'll be inviting 2 new players.
Who else has pulled out apart from Aaron Webber?

Also, I am willing to take real bets too. Payments can be made online.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Damian E wrote:Only 14 of the original 16 are likely to take part, so we'll be inviting 2 new players.
Any chance of redoing the draw Damian?? ;-)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

I agree but then I would probably end up with Corby :roll: .
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Aaron Webber has stood down and unfortunately, Jean Webby is away on holiday, so we've asked 2 other people to take part, 1 of whom has said yes and the other is organising things.

Hope to get the 'announcements' by the end of the week.

D
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Any chance of convincing Beevers to change his mind?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Any chance of convincing Beevers to change his mind?
I wouldn't want to try. If someone isn't up for it then fine, its no problem.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Mr Green, odds of 20-1 aren't too far off for Anita, but having her as the worst player in the whole thing is a bit harsh, you big sexist! Would you accept a bet of me paying your COLIN entry fee, or you paying me 150 pounds if Anita happens to win the thing?
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

IIRC she only beat Aaron Webber after he risked a load of bizarre words but who knows how she'll do.

Damien, any chance of me and mikey playing a televised one-off game of Hyper-speedgoat for Jeff Stellings first game in charge? It'll be fun if nothing else.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Paul Howe wrote:Mr Green, odds of 20-1 aren't too far off for Anita, but having her as the worst player in the whole thing is a bit harsh, you big sexist! Would you accept a bet of me paying your COLIN entry fee, or you paying me 150 pounds if Anita happens to win the thing?
Let's not forget that the average odds should be 15-1, which would, in real life, be a bit lower so that the bookmaker makes a profit. But you'd expect it to have more of a range, and 20-1 as the highest odds doesn't sound right to me. I might do my own.