Spoilers for Monday 16th December 2019 (Series 81, QF3)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Ray Wilding
Devotee

Spoilers for Monday 16th December 2019 (Series 81, QF3)

Post by Ray Wilding »

Paul Nixon v John Osmond.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Re: Spoilers for Monday 16th December 2019 (Series 81, QF3)

Post by Ray Wilding »

TRIFECTA in R7.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Alt 3rd numbers: (6x10+7)x10x4/8
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

EULACHON in round 8
Howie Myers
Enthusiast

Post by Howie Myers »

MANITOUS in R1
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

One last week of Countdown not only for this year, but also of the 2010s. Can you imagine how time has flown by? My goodness, alright let's get on with things! I know Wiki might be slow so I MIGHT try and help Johnny out during this period but no promises! ;)

Letters: Plenty of nines here available, my my if this trend continues... Anyways, it was an exemplary match all round, with Paul getting off to a good start with ADUSTION and OXIDASES. Later on, both of them peaked in the last third of the Episode, grabbing two nines in the process with REPLATING and ORGANISED!!

Numbers: As predicted, Paul goes for his usual Six Small combination but hang on, it misfires on him in Round 3 with him drawing a blank, ouch! :( What's worse, John beat him again in Round 9, oh no... (I thought I was going to see a repeat as to what happened to Chris Thorn in the Series 78 Finals but thankfully that never happened...)

Conundrum: Crucial time. Oh boy looks like Paul is going to win with no one pressing their buzzer...WAIT, Paul decides to try at the last second...OH WOW!! <- That was my genuine reaction and I also drew a blank once again like yesterday's Conundrum sadly :(

Brilliant game indeed! Perhaps the best Finals match I've seen since Zarte Siempre vs Philip Aston last year in June for the Grand Final of Series 78 or if I'd like to go back slightly earlier than that, Noel McIlvenny vs Eoin Jackson two years ago in December for Quarter-Finals #4 of Series 77 (Feel free to disagree if you would like to!) Double century, and to top it off a Crucial with a nail-biting solve that always gets you on the edge of your seat! The margin of the game, at 15 points was a lot closer than the original 30 points I had predicted. Both players were absolutely brilliant but sadly, just like how Susie mentioned the ways of saying 'Goodbye' in her 'Origins of Words', it's time to say goodbye to John :( You fought really, really well and to see such a spectacular performance is breathtaking not to say the least. Well done and I'm sure you'll be holding your head high for many years to come and excellent work on making all the way here!

So now we know, Jamie will face off Paul on Thursday in Semi-Finals #2 but before we get there, one last Quarter-Finals. "Yet Another Maths Student and Genius" (I've lost count of how many we had this Series already!) Morgan Sauer vs "Well-known Apterite and yet another University Student" Andy Evans. It's a University Challenge match but with only one player on each side using the Countdown format! :lol: Who will win and face James the day after? Tune in!

Progress:
QF1 (12 December): James Haughton (#1) vs David Law (#8) (147 - 60)
QF2 (13 December): Jamie Wing (#2) vs Tom Silverlock (#7) (121 - 78)
QF3 (16 December): Paul Nixon (#3) vs John Osmond (#6) (117 - 102)
QF4 (17 December): Morgan Sauer (#4) vs Andy Evans (#5)
SF1 (18 December): James Haughton (QF1 Winner) vs (QF4 Winner)
SF2 (19 December): Jamie Wing (QF2 Winner) vs Paul Nixon (QF3 Winner)
GF (20 December): (SF1 Winner) vs (SF2 Winner)