Spoilers for Thursday 3 January 2019 (COC XV, game 2)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Spoilers for Thursday 3 January 2019 (COC XV, game 2)

Post by Thomas Carey »

After Jonathan smashed it yesterday, we now have a match between series 74 runner up and the only woman in the tournament Ann Dibben and uhh, series 77 semi finalist John Cowen.

In the prediction game, it was an exact 80-20 split with 80% of you predicting Ann to win (with a maximum margin of 33 points) and 20% picking John, with a maximum margin of 14 points. The average margin was a 13.87 point win to Ann.
cheers maus
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Spoilers for Thursday 3 January 2019 (COC XV, game 2)

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Joy! Looks like I'm stuck at work over lunch hour today. Anyone else can do the recap if they're up for it - otherwise I'll wikify it tonight.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ray Wilding
Devotee

Post by Ray Wilding »

MURGEON in R2.
Mark Kudlowski
Enthusiast

Post by Mark Kudlowski »

2nd numbers alt: 9 x 4 x (7 +1)

4th numbers alt: ((7 x 6) + 10) x (2 + 9)
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

What can I say, but brilliant, brilliant playing from both contestants today! Ann got rocked by John and his "usual" six small tactics in the middle but recovered with OPAQUE and beat him in R9. In the end, John fought back with ABATER but wait, Ann snatched the lead back in R14 where ironically, his strength failed him! :o Then came the conundrum, I know John's fast but boom, there you go, he has just toppled a Series Runner-up!!

It's a shame that the only female contestant in the CoC gets knocked out this early (I mean, I wished Annie Humphries from S75/S76 was here but maybe she couldn't make it) :( John, I really admire your skills (and your new hairstyle) and I really liked how you referenced the S74 Grand Final way back in June 2016 as commiserations. All the best, oh ho if Bradley wins next Thursday it's another REMATCH of S77 Semi-Finals #2!! If not, oh well...

Up next in line, another Series Runner-Up and another Semi-Finalist who caused an upset in his Quarter-Finals, but this time the gap between their appearances are larger. Let's see who gets through!

Progress:
Preliminary #1 (02 January): Jonathan Wynn (Series 73 Grand Champion) vs Phil Davies (Series 78 Semi-Finalist) (103 - 68)
Preliminary #2 (03 January): Ann Dibben (Series 74 Runner-Up) vs John Cowen (Series 77 Semi-Finalist) (94 - 97)
Preliminary #3 (04 January): Matthew Tassier (Series 73 Runner-Up) vs Dougie Mackay (Series 78 Semi-Finalist)
Preliminary #4 (07 January): Thomas Carey (Series 73 Semi-Finalist) vs Stephen Read (Series 76 Grand Champion)
Preliminary #5 (08 January): Paul Erdunast (Series 74 Grand Champion) vs Zarte Siempre (Series 78 Grand Champion)
Preliminary #6 (09 January): Tom Chafer-Cook (Series 77 Grand Champion) vs Martin Hurst (Series 75 Grand Champion)
Preliminary #7 (10 January): Bradley Horrocks (Series 77 Runner-Up) vs Andrew Macleod (Series 75 Runner-Up)
Preliminary #8 (11 January): Philip Aston (Series 78 Runner-Up) vs Noel McIlvenny (Series 77 Semi-Finalist)
Quarter-Finals #1 (14 January): Jonathan Wynn (Preliminary #1 Winner) vs (Preliminary #8 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #2 (15 January): John Cowen (Preliminary #2 Winner) vs (Preliminary #7 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #3 (16 January): (Preliminary #3 Winner) vs (Preliminary #6 Winner)
Quarter-Finals #4 (17 January): (Preliminary #4 Winner) vs (Preliminary #5 Winner)
Semi-Finals #1 (18 January): (Quarter-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #4 Winner)
Semi-Finals #2 (21 January): (Quarter-Finals #2 Winner) vs (Quarter-Finals #3 Winner)
Championship Final (22 January): (Semi-Finals #1 Winner) vs (Semi-Finals #2 Winner)
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Ryan Lam wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:07 pmIt's a shame that the only female contestant in the CoC gets knocked out this early (I mean, I wished Annie Humphries from S75/S76 was here but maybe she couldn't make it) :(
It's OK - Tom Carey is so emasculated he's basically a female contestant.

(Annie was invited, but was on holiday at the time of filming.)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

What a terrific game, that might be the best game I've ever watched in terms of enjoyment - really could have gone either way and it's a great shame anyone had to lose that.

Ann, if you're reading, commiserations on just falling short of victory, but considering the screams in the crows when you solved that final numbers game I think it's fair to say you have had a large amount of supporters and you really have been great to watch. Magnanimous in defeat and modest in victory.

John, congratulations on pulling through a difficult game and for letting us witness you saying "NINE!" once again ;)
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:42 pm Ann, if you're reading, commiserations on just falling short of victory, but considering the screams in the crows when you solved that final numbers game I think it's fair to say you have had a large amount of supporters and you really have been great to watch.
She's so popular that she gets support from the quayside birds. :P

Was a great game though, well played both of you!
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Congrats on the win John and commiserations Ann. You both played really well and now a rematch between you and Bradley seems more likely.