C of C Draw......

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

C of C Draw......

Post by Countdown Team »

C of C FIXTURES

MONDAY OCTOBER 1ST

1. JONATHAN WYNN V PHIL DAVIES
2. ANNE DIBBEN V JOHN COWEN
3. MATTHEW TASSIER V DOUGIE MACKAY
4. THOMAS CAREY V STEPHEN READ
5. PAUL ERDUNAST V ZARTE SIEMPRE

TUESDAY OCTOBER 2ND

6. TOM CHAFER-COOK V MARTIN HURST
7. BRADLEY HORROCKS V ANDREW MACLEOD
8. PHILIP ASTON V NOEL MCILVENNY
9. WINNER GAME 1 V WINNER GAME 8
10. WINNER GAME 2 V WINNER GAME 7

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 3RD

11. WINNER GAME 3 V WINNER GAME 6
12. WINNER GAME 4 V WINNER GAME 5
13. WINNER GAME 9 V WINNER GAME 12
14. WINNER GAME 10 V WINNER GAME 11
15. NO IDEA

Participants are subject to change based on availability. Anyone unable to take part will be replaced, with the substitute replacing them in the same fixture.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Re: C of C Draw......

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Fucking hell. The 4 people I thought would make the semi-finals, all in one quarter.

Mad.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Fixtures 4, 5, and 12 looking like a group of death here -- I pity all those who fell into it.

No Moose, eh?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

spicy meatball
cheers maus
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Loser of #5 is going to be gutted.
Certainly some epic contests from the word go!
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Nice to see a couple of non-Apterites in the mix, with Phil and Dougie recognised for their excellent performances in last series.

When are audience tickets likely to be available?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Cool. So in terms of series we have:

73: Jonathan Wynn, Thomas Carey, Matthew Tassier (3)
74: Paul Erdunast, Ann Dibben (2)
75: Martin Hurst, Andrew Macleod (2)
76: Stephen Read (1)
77: Tom Chafer-Cook, Bradley Horrocks, John Cowen, Noel McIlvenny (4)
78: Zarte Siempre, Philip Aston, Dougie Mackay, Phil Davies (4)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

How come the moose ain't gonna be there?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Shocking that FOUR Series champions are against each other in the first round, and that the format has also been altered too... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Owen Carroll wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:40 pm How come the moose ain't gonna be there?
Either he could not make the dates, was not invited (which seems highly unlikely) or did not want to participate.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

James Robinson wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 pm Shocking that FOUR Series champions are against each other in the first round, and that the format has also been altered too... :roll: :roll: :roll:
How has the format altered?
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Tom S wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:05 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:40 pm How come the moose ain't gonna be there?
Either he could not make the dates, was not invited (which seems highly unlikely) or did not want to participate.
He didn't want to take part - largely because he was pestered online by people from the 'community'. Edit to add, it was nothing sinister, just largely over-zealous invitations to join Apto, attend Co-events and all that stuff.
Last edited by Countdown Team on Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Countdown Team wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:39 pm
James Robinson wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 pm Shocking that FOUR Series champions are against each other in the first round, and that the format has also been altered too... :roll: :roll: :roll:
How has the format altered?
Countdown Team wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:14 pm C of C FIXTURES

TUESDAY OCTOBER 2ND

9. WINNER GAME 1 V WINNER GAME 8
10. WINNER GAME 2 V WINNER GAME 7

WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 3RD

11. WINNER GAME 3 V WINNER GAME 6
12. WINNER GAME 4 V WINNER GAME 5
13. WINNER GAME 9 V WINNER GAME 12
14. WINNER GAME 10 V WINNER GAME 11
15. NO IDEA

At the last CoC, the QF’s were Winner 1 v 2, Winner 3 v 4, etc., and this time you’ve reverted to the 1 v 8, 2 v 7, etc.

And yes, I realise that in the previous one before that, it was reverted again, and hasn’t been consistent all the way through the history of the show.

Some might say there might be a hidden agenda, given that 5 v 6 QF would have eliminated 3 Series champions before the semifinals..., although I’m sure it was just the unfortunate way that the draw happened, although I hope there was an independent adjudicator watching it.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Countdown Team wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:41 pm
Tom S wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:05 pm
He didn't want to take part - largely because he was pestered online by people from the 'community'.
What were they pestering him for? What community is it? Apterous? Or here? I noticed the air quotes
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

'Some might say there might be a hidden agenda'

Oh dear. conspiracy alert.. As long as it is nothing to do with Brexit or the Russians, I can relax :D
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

James Robinson wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 pm At the last CoC, the QF’s were Winner 1 v 2, Winner 3 v 4, etc., and this time you’ve reverted to the 1 v 8, 2 v 7, etc.

And yes, I realise that in the previous one before that, it was reverted again, and hasn’t been consistent all the way through the history of the show.

Some might say there might be a hidden agenda, given that 5 v 6 QF would have eliminated 3 Series champions before the semifinals..., although I’m sure it was just the unfortunate way that the draw happened, although I hope there was an independent adjudicator watching it.
Hidden agenda? Unfortunate? Independent adjudicator? Just because series champions are playing each other, and the matches within each round are being played in a different order than last time?

If the series champions were all neatly separated, we'd all be commenting about that and how the draw didn't seem "random enough".

Best of luck to all the participants. You're all one of the 16 contestants picked to play in a competition that plenty of talented players miss out on, and which only happens every few years. So enjoy it no matter who you've been drawn to play.

What we should be paying attention to here is the news that one of the contestants was pestered enough by C4C/apterous peeps that they declined their invitation to play. I don't know the details of this, but to me that looks like a whacking great red flag.
Last edited by Graeme Cole on Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Graeme Cole wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:32 pm
James Robinson wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 pm At the last CoC, the QF’s were Winner 1 v 2, Winner 3 v 4, etc., and this time you’ve reverted to the 1 v 8, 2 v 7, etc.

Hidden agenda? Unfortunate? Independent adjudicator? Just because series champions are playing each other, and the matches within each round are being played in a different order than last time?

If the series champions were all neatly separated, we'd all be commenting about that and how the draw didn't seem "random enough".

Best of luck to all the participants. You're all one of the 16 contestants picked to play in a competition that plenty of talented players miss out on, and which only happens every few years. So enjoy it no matter who you've been drawn to play.

What we should be paying attention to here is the news that one of the contestants was pestered enough by C4C/apterous peeps that they declined their invitation to play. I don't know the details of this, but to me that looks like a whacking great red flag.
I agree with that last paragraph Graeme. I wanted moose there too.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Some good draws, but games 4 and 5 are brutal
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Bradley Horrocks wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:05 pm Loser of #5 is going to be gutted.
Certainly some epic contests from the word go!
But some nice draws, best of luck to everybody that is competing, I hope it is a good contest between you all.
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Waking up in my timezone to see this list, I am just as surprised to see that except Stephen Read, the rest of the Series Champions will be going against each other! Oh well, time to analyse all the players original performances which I have long forgotten (With the exception of those after Series 76) and then predict who shall win come the new year... :lol:

Of course, I'm not going to predict who is going to win each match as of now with half a year away from the air dates because:

1) We'll never know if any of these people will drop out in the next three months although it's very unlikely but I could be wrong.

2) You'll never know how people will perform with contestants from other Series...even if I do an analysis in December after the end of Series 79 it may add up to nothing I predict then. (Because I forsee that's the only time I'll be able to do this if I wish...)

I'm just disappointed that Stephen's the only person there from Series 76...like Owen said I hoped that Moose Rosser would turn up or Jeff Clayton or Wesley Jardine...but they have their reasons why they can't make it or maybe they don't want to take part again and I do respect whatever their reason was why they turned the offer down. On the other hand, I'm glad to see Noel is back, his four large solutions are probably the best since that 1997 Episode, even Rachel wanted to change the last target in SF1 of Series 77... I'm sorry if I can't remember those contestants before Series 75 because that was ages ago, see if reading the recaps will activate my memory again...

Overall, I welcome that this is an interesting draw from the Countdown Production Team...and we are going to see exciting matches. I will feel sorry for whoever is knocked out in every episode because all of them are excellent.

Lastly, to all the contestants who are taking part in two months time for the filming, I wish you all the best and good luck! :)
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

James Robinson wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 pm
Yes James, Sepp Blatter was there. :roll:
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

There was a time when Series winners were kept apart in the first round.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:23 am There was a time when Series winners were kept apart in the first round.
There is an argument to be made for it not being entirely random.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Little bit of stats here based on everyones totals on the show

Total
Zarte Siempre 1331
Paul Erdunast 1273
Johnathan Wynn 1244
Tom Chafer-Cook 1235
Stephen Read 1230
Ann Dibben 1209
Thomas Carey 1141
Bradley Horrocks 1136
Martin Hurst 1128
Matthew Tassier 1119
Andrew MacLeod 1119
Philip Aston 1080
John Cowen 990
Noel McIlvenny 987
Dougie Mackay 932
Phil Davies 926

Certainly interesting having the players with the two highest octotals facing off against each other in Round 1, not to mention another series champs face off. Should make for an interesting draw mind.

Good to see a wide range of contestants though, although a few names I'd have thought who'd have been invited weren't. At the same time, if like Moose, they don't want to be there for any reason, it is none of our business to know or pester them.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Ouch. Would really not like to call that. Zarte's run to the final looks particularly difficult. I could see Matthew Tassier going all the way from that draw...

The arguments about not having a random draw could end up with some people deliberately throwing their last prelim in their original series if they want to play the long game.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:31 pm The arguments about not having a random draw could end up with some people deliberately throwing their last prelim in their original series if they want to play the long game.
I don't follow Rhys - can you explain?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Martin Hurst wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:42 pm
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:31 pm The arguments about not having a random draw could end up with some people deliberately throwing their last prelim in their original series if they want to play the long game.
Taking cue from Graeme, I'm going to a logical extreme here, but if you imagine the best player in the history of the show appears near the end of a series and has won 7 games, they may choose to play badly in their 8th prelim and finish 6th in the series. They go on to win their series, but if CoC's are seeded, that will mean they have one fewer win than the octochamp-champs and therefore would get an easier CoC draw later on (let's say they are 8th seed out of 16), meaning they play the "favourite" in the quarter final, thereby giving them potentially easier opponents in the semi and final?

Basically, what England did in the world cup.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:52 pm
Taking cue from Graeme, I'm going to a logical extreme here, but if you imagine the best player in the history of the show appears near the end of a series and has won 7 games, they may choose to play badly in their 8th prelim and finish 6th in the series. They go on to win their series, but if CoC's are seeded, that will mean they have one fewer win than the octochamp-champs and therefore would get an easier CoC draw later on (let's say they are 8th seed out of 16), meaning they play the "favourite" in the quarter final, thereby giving them potentially easier opponents in the semi and final?

Surely the best player would want to be the number one seed, and then avoid playing the next best until the final (if they have to play them at all).

In any case, you wouldn't necessarily go as far as full seedings, but you might have cruder groupings - maybe just have the champions apart in the first round even. Or perhaps as well as that, have the top two scoring champions in separate halves of the draw.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Taking cue from me how?

As I understand it, you're saying this: someone who has won seven games, and hasn't even played the finals of their series yet, would already be thinking about possible seeding positions in a hypothetical future CoC. Not only that, but they'd decide it's in their interest to throw their eighth game, play a higher seed in their own series QF, and if they qualify for a CoC, play stronger opponents early on in that, because it might give them less strong opponents afterwards?

If anyone ever does decide this would be advantageous, good luck to them. We all enjoy someone trying to game the system in a way that's ultimately useless. And commiserations when they lose their series quarter final.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

They don't usually have a presentation for the winner of the coc like they do for regular series do they?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Owen Carroll wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:06 pm They don't usually have a presentation for the winner of the coc like they do for regular series do they?
They do, actually. Glitter falls from the ceiling and the winner gets a new car, £50000 and a lot of pride. It used to be £100000 but budget cuts reduced this.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Personally, I think there are some individuals who are more worthy than the one's noted on the draw. Nevertheless, the past few series in the criteria for this CoC have been of a high standard imo, so there were always going to be some who would not be able to participate. By having some Series Winners play in the 1st part would mean that the quality may detract a tad in terms of the CoC semi's and final, but surely this opens up the gap for someone who has not won the series to have a stab at glory, who are well capable of doing so.

Regards,
Tom
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tom S wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:05 pm Personally, I think there are some individuals who are more worthy than the one's noted on the draw. Nevertheless, the past few series in the criteria for this CoC have been of a high standard imo, so there were always going to be some who would not be able to participate. By having some Series Winners play in the 1st part would mean that the quality may detract a tad in terms of the CoC semi's and final, but surely this opens up the gap for someone who has not won the series to have a stab at glory, who are well capable of doing so.

Regards,
Tom
It's not the 16 I'd pick, but then some people might have turned down their invitations, so we don't necessarily know the first-choice list.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:21 pm
Tom S wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:05 pm Personally, I think there are some individuals who are more worthy than the one's noted on the draw. Nevertheless, the past few series in the criteria for this CoC have been of a high standard imo, so there were always going to be some who would not be able to participate. By having some Series Winners play in the 1st part would mean that the quality may detract a tad in terms of the CoC semi's and final, but surely this opens up the gap for someone who has not won the series to have a stab at glory, who are well capable of doing so.

Regards,
Tom
It's not the 16 I'd pick, but then some people might have turned down their invitations, so we don't necessarily know the first-choice list.
Agreed, Toby McDonald and Robin McKay maybe should have featured in my view.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Graeme Cole wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:41 pm
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:52 pm Taking cue from Graeme, I'm going to a logical extreme here, but if you imagine the best player in the history of the show appears near the end of a series and has won 7 games, they may choose to play badly in their 8th prelim and finish 6th in the series. They go on to win their series, but if CoC's are seeded, that will mean they have one fewer win than the octochamp-champs and therefore would get an easier CoC draw later on (let's say they are 8th seed out of 16), meaning they play the "favourite" in the quarter final, thereby giving them potentially easier opponents in the semi and final?

Taking cue from me how?

As I understand it, you're saying this: someone who has won seven games, and hasn't even played the finals of their series yet, would already be thinking about possible seeding positions in a hypothetical future CoC. Not only that, but they'd decide it's in their interest to throw their eighth game, play a higher seed in their own series QF, and if they qualify for a CoC, play stronger opponents early on in that, because it might give them less strong opponents afterwards?

If anyone ever does decide this would be advantageous, good luck to them. We all enjoy someone trying to game the system in a way that's ultimately useless. And commiserations when they lose their series quarter final.
Graeme Cole <3
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Lots of conjecture over the draw for the C of C.
Conspiracy, fixing, agendas etc, when in truth, the only thing that was pre-ordained prior to the draw was keeping people apart from the same series they played in.

Granted, there are some series winners who play each other in the first round, but so what. It's called Champion of Champions for a reason. At the end, there will be a winner, and that winner will have deserved it. Nothing was ever rigged or fixed or agenda driven or whatever other bullshit terms people wish to use, so there you have it.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:33 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:06 pm They don't usually have a presentation for the winner of the coc like they do for regular series do they?
They do, actually. Glitter falls from the ceiling and the winner gets a new car, £50000 and a lot of pride. It used to be £100000 but budget cuts reduced this.
Why are you always lying?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Tom S wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Regards,
Tom
You're right tom. In my opinion, it should have been them instead of dougie and Phil Davies
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Countdown Team wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:15 pm Lots of conjecture over the draw for the C of C.
Conspiracy, fixing, agendas etc, when in truth, the only thing that was pre-ordained prior to the draw was keeping people apart from the same series they played in.

Granted, there are some series winners who play each other in the first round, but so what. It's called Champion of Champions for a reason. At the end, there will be a winner, and that winner will have deserved it. Nothing was ever rigged or fixed or agenda driven or whatever other bullshit terms people wish to use, so there you have it.
One person said that some people might say there was a hidden agenda. Anyone who commented ridiculed the notion. And furthermore . . . well, nothing actually.
Rob McKay
Rookie

Post by Rob McKay »

Tom S wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Regards,
Tom
I don't often post on this forum but here goes..

Thanks Tom S but I am happy with how I did overall on the show and wishing all the COC contestants all the very best!
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Graeme Cole wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Taking cue from me how?

Taking cue from you as it was you who hypothesised that if TB conundrums counted towards a points total, a contestant might artificially gamble in R14 to gain extra points from two conundrums.

Why do I remember this? Because it sprung out of my first game on the show.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11088#p159315
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Rob McKay wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:36 am
I don't often post on this forum but here goes..

Thanks Tom S but I am happy with how I did overall on the show and wishing all the COC contestants all the very best!
You're a decent sport, Robin. It's never satisfying to have to leave people out, there's only 16 places after all, but thank you for your good grace.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

James Laverty wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 am Little bit of stats here based on everyones totals on the show

Total
Zarte Siempre 1331
Paul Erdunast 1273
Johnathan Wynn 1244
Tom Chafer-Cook 1235
Stephen Read 1230
Ann Dibben 1209
Thomas Carey 1141
Bradley Horrocks 1136
Martin Hurst 1128
Matthew Tassier 1119
Andrew MacLeod 1119
Philip Aston 1080
John Cowen 990
Noel McIlvenny 987
Dougie Mackay 932
Phil Davies 926

Certainly interesting having the players with the two highest octotals facing off against each other in Round 1, not to mention another series champs face off. Should make for an interesting draw mind.

Good to see a wide range of contestants though, although a few names I'd have thought who'd have been invited weren't. At the same time, if like Moose, they don't want to be there for any reason, it is none of our business to know or pester them.
I don't think many of the people on here were really pestering moose. I for one am disappointed he won't be there but I respect his decision.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

If I haven't already said, best of luck to everyone participating. This is the first time I want to get the whole series over with.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:31 pm
James Laverty wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 am Little bit of stats here based on everyones totals on the show

Total
Zarte Siempre 1331
Paul Erdunast 1273
Johnathan Wynn 1244
Tom Chafer-Cook 1235
Stephen Read 1230
Ann Dibben 1209
Thomas Carey 1141
Bradley Horrocks 1136
Martin Hurst 1128
Matthew Tassier 1119
Andrew MacLeod 1119
Philip Aston 1080
John Cowen 990
Noel McIlvenny 987
Dougie Mackay 932
Phil Davies 926

I don't think many of the people on here were really the ones pestering moose. I for one am a little sad he won't be there but I respect his decision.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I am willing to pretend to be related to this Martin Hurst chap in order to have a battle of the Hursts once the CoC dust has settled :)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

You should jack
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

I'm disappointed I haven't seen any of your games
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Could you send a link?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:08 pm You should jack
rude
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Post by Martin Hurst »

JackHurst wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:19 pm I am willing to pretend to be related to this Martin Hurst chap
Pretend? Well, this is awkward son......
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Matt Morrison wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:10 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:08 pm You should jack
rude
I meant should have that match against Martin.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

James Laverty wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 am Zarte Siempre 1331
Paul Erdunast 1273
Johnathan Wynn 1244
Tom Chafer-Cook 1235
Stephen Read 1230
Ann Dibben 1209
Thomas Carey 1141
Bradley Horrocks 1136
Martin Hurst 1128
Matthew Tassier 1119
Andrew MacLeod 1119
Philip Aston 1080
John Cowen 990
Noel McIlvenny 987
Dougie Mackay 932
Phil Davies 926
Huh?!
(This required a double take.)
You've used the totals that these contestants achieved over 9, 10 or 11 games instead of the Octototals?!
Weird. No-one cares about that stat.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:38 am
James Laverty wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:23 am Zarte Siempre 1331
Paul Erdunast 1273
Johnathan Wynn 1244
Tom Chafer-Cook 1235
Stephen Read 1230
Ann Dibben 1209
Thomas Carey 1141
Bradley Horrocks 1136
Martin Hurst 1128
Matthew Tassier 1119
Andrew MacLeod 1119
Philip Aston 1080
John Cowen 990
Noel McIlvenny 987
Dougie Mackay 932
Phil Davies 926
Huh?!
(This required a double take.)
You've used the totals that these contestants achieved over 9, 10 or 11 games instead of the Octototals?!
Weird. No-one cares about that stat.
Which stat does no one care about? Octototals right?
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

I had a think about the draw. I reckon it’s manufactured* for a Zarte v Tom final. That’s the real box office encounter.
Zarte is the street favourite, slightly edgy, the indie choice.
Tom is the eye-candy, loved and adored by young and old. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t slightly distracted by his dashing good looks in our semi-final.

*I obviously don’t think this happened.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Noel Mc wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:31 am I had a think about the draw. I reckon it’s manufactured* for a Zarte v Tom final. That’s the real box office encounter.
Zarte is the street favourite, slightly edgy, the indie choice.
Tom is the eye-candy, loved and adored by young and old. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t slightly distracted by his dashing good looks in our semi-final.

*I obviously don’t think this happened.
Good, cos anyone who thinks that draw is manufactured to HELP me make a final is smoking crack :P
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Ok so in my opinion the final is more than likely to have Paul erdunast or Zarte but who is more than likely to be their opponent in the final? Tom Chafer cook?
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Based on points and max rates he would have to be the betting favourite from that half of the draw, although those particular metrics are slightly distorted when comparing players across this range of series due to dictionary updates that boost available points but make maxes harder to achieve.

I had a go at seeding all 16 players (stop sniggering at the back), and found that the quarter of death contains seeds 1, 3, 4 and 5! Oh and with the number 2 seed in that half of the draw too.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Fred Mumford wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:08 am Based on points and max rates he would have to be the betting favourite from that half of the draw, although those particular metrics are slightly distorted when comparing players across this range of series due to dictionary updates that boost available points but make maxes harder to achieve.

I had a go at seeding all 16 players (stop sniggering at the back), and found that the quarter of death contains seeds 1, 3, 4 and 5! Oh and with the number 2 seed in that half of the draw too.
Ok. Fair enough. But you believe that tom could make the final right?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:38 pm
Fred Mumford wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:08 am Based on points and max rates he would have to be the betting favourite from that half of the draw, although those particular metrics are slightly distorted when comparing players across this range of series due to dictionary updates that boost available points but make maxes harder to achieve.

Ok. Fair enough. But you believe that tom will make the final right?