Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Graeme Cole »

Owen Carroll wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:44 pm
Graeme Cole wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:38 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:32 pm Guys for when that British game show service comes out in July, if it'll have the 30bc, for anyone who watched it, when Nick is explaining the contestant's history in the show do we get a brief footage of them in the show like we did for the supreme championship?
No, I don't think they did that, at least not for most of the games. If they showed an old picture or two, I don't recall it.
K. Thanks Graeme. You know if they are showing all countdown episodes?
I don't know, I'm afraid. I've only vaguely heard about this game show archive service thing.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Graeme Cole wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:58 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:44 pm
Graeme Cole wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:38 pm
No, I don't think they did that, at least not for most of the games. If they showed an old picture or two, I don't recall it.
K. Thanks Graeme. You know if they are showing all countdown episodes?
I don't know, I'm afraid. I've only vaguely heard about this game show archive service thing.
K. Thanks
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Hey guys, something that's bothering me, I spotted the conundrum in the s77 final but pronounced it wrong. Is there any evidence that proves they would have accepted it if I was there?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:04 am Hey guys, something that's bothering me, I spotted the conundrum in the s77 final but pronounced it wrong. Is there any evidence that proves they would have accepted it if I was there?
If you could spell it correctly, I think they'd accept it. It's all about the spelling. It doesn't matter what you think the word means or how it should be pronounced. Obviously if you pronounce RELATIONS "potato", you're unlikely to get away with it, but within reason you should be OK.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:59 am
Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:04 am Hey guys, something that's bothering me, I spotted the conundrum in the s77 final but pronounced it wrong. Is there any evidence that proves they would have accepted it if I was there?
If you could spell it correctly, I think they'd accept it. It's all about the spelling. It doesn't matter what you think the word means or how it should be pronounced. Obviously if you pronounce RELATIONS "potato", you're unlikely to get away with it, but within reason you should be OK.
Great thanks! Cause it was just the I was spelt like th I in it instead of I on its own. Is that ok? I had the spelling right?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:17 pm
Great thanks! Cause it was just the I was spelt like th I in it instead of I on its own. Is that ok? I had the spelling right?
I've no idea what you're saying here, but as far as I'm aware as long as you could spell it then they'd accept it. Sometimes if there's doubt then you may be asked "how are you spelling that?". The game is a word game ultimately, and you get points for spelling the words not actually pronouncing them or defining them, for that matter.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

He spelt it with a lower case i? Anyway I don't expect they would ask if you've used capitals or not.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:53 pm He spelt it with a lower case i? Anyway I don't expect they would ask if you've used capitals or not.
I still don't get it...he spelt it MiSSiLERY?
Very strange question to ask.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:25 pm

I've no idea what you're saying here, but as far as I'm aware as long as you could spell it then they'd accept it. Sometimes if there's doubt then you may be asked "how are you spelling that?". The game is a word game ultimately, and you get points for spelling the words not actually pronouncing them or defining them, for that matter.
I meant to say the it's i was how I pronounced it. The way I would be pronounced in the word it was how I had it spelt for missilery, if that clears it up. But thanks all of you. Now I can relax in case I pronounced my conundrum wrong if I get to the grand final when I get on. I don't mean to sound cocky it's just I'm really good at countdown. You can give me letters, numbers and conundrums games if you'd like
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:37 pm
I meant to say the it's i was how I pronounced it. The way I would be pronounced in the word it was how I had it spelt for missilery, if that clears it up. But thanks all of you. Now I can relax in case I pronounced my conundrum wrong if I get to the grand final when I get on. I don't mean to sound cocky it's just I'm really good at countdown. You can give me letters, numbers and conundrums games if you'd like
Max from AEIOSTRND?
What about AEIOSTRNL?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:00 pm

Derations and relations
Max from AEIOSTRND?
What about AEIOSTRNL?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:47 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:00 pm
Derations and relations
Max from AEIOSTRND?
What about AEIOSTRNL?
I meant for them to go under
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

max from ASDIROSNE?
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

If you said MISS ILERY, (pronounced like Clinton's wife, MISS HILARY), then you'd be fine, as the vowels fit despite the pronunciation.
Anything else could be dubious and we'd most likely DQ it.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Countdown Team wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:03 pm
If you said MISS ILERY, (pronounced like Clinton's wife, MISS HILARY), then you'd be fine, as the vowels fit despite the pronunciation.
Thanks a lot
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:03 pm
Thanks a lot
But you know I'm not pronouncing it with the h right?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:47 pm

Thanks a lot
I was pronouncing the I the way you'd pronounce it in ill
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Thanks a lot
Of course they know that, considering there isn't even a freaking H in the scramble.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:36 am
Thanks a lot
Of course they know that, considering there isn't even a freaking H in the scramble.
Just checking. Thanks
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

I know it's late but I've been meaning to do this since I got here but kept forgetting. Thanks for creating this website Charlie! It's really made countdown even more exciting for me! And that is saying something!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 pm I know it's late but I've been meaning to do this since I got here but kept forgetting. Thanks for creating this website Charlie! It's really made countdown even more exciting for me! And that is saying something!
What is it saying?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Matt Morrison wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:46 am
Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:03 pm I know it's late but I've been meaning to do this since I got here but kept forgetting. Thanks for creating this website Charlie! It's really made countdown even more exciting for me! And that is saying something!
What is it saying?
I mean that I was excited to death about countdown before I joined
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:08 pm max from ASDIROSNE?
I know it's late but anodisers?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

This may not be the place to put this but I've been wondering this for about a year. Is s75 the first December finals in years where they decorate the studio for Christmas
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 pm This may not be the place to put this but I've been wondering this for about a year. Is s75 the first December finals in years where they decorate the studio for Christmas
I'm almost certain that this isn't the place :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Ian Volante wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:09 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:53 pm This may not be the place to put this but I've been wondering this for about a year. Is s75 the first December finals in years where they decorate the studio for Christmas
Well can you tell me?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Owen Carroll wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:41 pm
Well can you tell me?
Make a thread about it in the general Countdown forum
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:52 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:41 pm

Well can you tell me?
Make a thread about it in the general Countdown forum
Thanks. I'll try that in the afternoon
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Again, not the place to post it but if I get onto the show, unless I'm coming across one of your family or friends or people who've been on this site longer than me, can I please ask you's to root for me?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Owen Carroll wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:38 pm Again, not the place to post it but if I get onto the show, unless I'm coming across one of your family or friends or people who've been on this site longer than me, can I please ask you's to root for me?
:lol:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:38 pm Again, not the place to post it but if I get onto the show, unless I'm coming across one of your family or friends or people who've been on this site longer than me, can I please ask you's to root for me?
Harsh. I's will root for you, Owen.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:47 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:45 pm
Harsh. I's will root for you, Owen.
Thanks gavin! And what is so funny Elliott???????
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

I know it's not for here again but I dunno another place to put it. Does anyone know if that British gameshow service is working yet. As in they've watched some countdown episodes on it?
Chris Sturdy

Post by Chris Sturdy »

What Ho! Countdown enthusiasts.

I recorded on 31st July and am on my countdown to Countdown to be aired 30 October.
Since the filming of the series finished, SD has been on her one woman show The Secret Life of Words, so that was fun to see and I have been following RR on Twitter - she is very enthusiastic/passionate about stuff and also quite naughty, so that is fun too.

Being a newb here, I don't know the etiquette about what you are allowed to talk about, so I'll wait to be shown the ropes a little bit before I mention the international monthly anagram competition I am involved with (though hopefully it will come up when I mention it on the show ;)

I also have a bit of a treat in store which I hope you will enjoy, but I'll keep my powder dry until after my episode(s?!!) has been aired.

Chris
Twenty-six letters of the alphabet = Best of all, they shape written text!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Chris Sturdy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:13 pm What Ho! Countdown enthusiasts.

I recorded on 31st July and am on my countdown to Countdown to be aired 30 October.
Since the filming of the series finished, SD has been on her one woman show The Secret Life of Words, so that was fun to see and I have been following RR on Twitter - she is very enthusiastic/passionate about stuff and also quite naughty, so that is fun too.

Being a newb here, I don't know the etiquette about what you are allowed to talk about, so I'll wait to be shown the ropes a little bit before I mention the international monthly anagram competition I am involved with (though hopefully it will come up when I mention it on the show ;)

I also have a bit of a treat in store which I hope you will enjoy, but I'll keep my powder dry until after my episode(s?!!) has been aired.

Chris
Hello and welcome. You can basically talk about anything on here as long it doesn't involve the results of games that haven't been aired yet.
Chris Sturdy

Post by Chris Sturdy »

Excellent. Mum's the word (though as a nine-letter equivalent, I imagine MATRIARCH is preferred)

And thanks for the welcome. Yet another disastrously efficient way of procrastinating...
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Chris Sturdy wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:23 pm Excellent. Mum's the word (though as a nine-letter equivalent, I imagine MATRIARCH is preferred)

And thanks for the welcome. Yet another disastrously efficient way of procrastinating...
Welcome to the site from me too Chris. You'll love it!
Chris Sturdy

Post by Chris Sturdy »

Owen Carroll wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:36 pm Welcome to the site from me too Chris. You'll love it!
Cheers - now I've made initial contact I may lurk a little and feel my way around...
Rachel B

Post by Rachel B »

Hi everyone, my name's Rachel, I'm a new-ish countdown enthusiast from Australia :)

I need some help understanding the format of each series- how many heats are there? How do they decide who gets into the finals? etc.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Rachel B wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:00 pm Hi everyone, my name's Rachel, I'm a new-ish countdown enthusiast from Australia :)

I need some help understanding the format of each series- how many heats are there? How do they decide who gets into the finals? etc.
Hi Rachel, welcome :)

On average there about 100 heats in a series before the finals start though the odd-number series tend to have about 20 more recordings than the even ones (not sure why, but am sure others will know) . If a player gets 8 wins in a row, then they will retire and 2 new players will play the day after. The 8 game winner (or octochamps) will most likely have secured a place in the finals, as the 8 players with the most wins, (or points, if there is a tie for wins) will be seeded from 1 to 8 and will play each other e.g. #1 and #8, #2 and #7 etc... will play each other with the winner advancing until it is down to the top 2 players. It has never been known for an octochamp to miss out on the finals, unless they have withdrawn, in which case the #9 seed gains a spot in the finals. Hope this clears some queries, and wiki.apterous.org/Series_79 is the place to go for info on the current series or for any other Countdown stat.
Rachel B

Post by Rachel B »

Tom S wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:17 am
Rachel B wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:00 pm Hi everyone, my name's Rachel, I'm a new-ish countdown enthusiast from Australia :)

On average there about 100 heats in a series before the finals start though the odd-number series tend to have about 20 more recordings than the even ones (not sure why, but am sure others will know) . If a player gets 8 wins in a row, then they will retire and 2 new players will play the day after. The 8 game winner (or octochamps) will most likely have secured a place in the finals, as the 8 players with the most wins, (or points, if there is a tie for wins) will be seeded from 1 to 8 and will play each other e.g. #1 and #8, #2 and #7 etc... will play each other with the winner advancing until it is down to the top 2 players. It has never been known for an octochamp to miss out on the finals, unless they have withdrawn, in which case the #9 seed gains a spot in the finals. Hope this clears some queries, and wiki.apterous.org/Series_79 is the place to go for info on the current series or for any other Countdown stat.
Thanks, this helps a lot. So the number of heats is basically arbitary?
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Rachel B wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:43 am

Thanks, this helps a lot. So the number of heats is basically arbitary?
I don't think it is arbitrary, as I think there must be a limit for each series for scheduling purposes, but the episode numbers roughly started increasing about a year or two ago on average.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

It's basically half a year per series isn't it? And whatever weekdays aren't taken up by something else.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Welcome Rachel. Hope you enjoy the site!
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I don't know how and when you watch in Australia, but you may not appreciate how rigorous they are in 'pretending' it's a live show. Even though they record them in batches, sometimes months in advance, each one is for a specific date. Each celebrity does five shows, which is one day's filming. So when Nick says to the celebrity "Have a good weekend, see you on Monday", he actually means "Go and get changed, you're on again in ten minutes".

Finals are twice a year. Heats are however many they can fit in, five a week except when there is no show because of horse racing / Cricket / F1.
Rachel B

Post by Rachel B »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:40 pm Welcome Rachel. Hope you enjoy the site!
Thanks!
I don't think it is arbitrary, as I think there must be a limit for each series for scheduling purposes, but the episode numbers roughly started increasing about a year or two ago on average.
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:12 pm It's basically half a year per series isn't it? And whatever weekdays aren't taken up by something else.
I didn’t even think about the TV/scheduling aspect, but that makes sense.
David Williams wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:42 pm I don't know how and when you watch in Australia
We won’t talk about that ;)

Another thing- how do I ‘properly’ quote multiple posts on this site? Obviously (hopefully, unless this post turns out a jumbled mess) I’ve figured out a way, but it involved about five tabs and a word document.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rachel B wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:15 pm Another thing- how do I ‘properly’ quote multiple posts on this site? Obviously (hopefully, unless this post turns out a jumbled mess) I’ve figured out a way, but it involved about five tabs and a word document.
When you're doing a post, you can scroll down below the text box and you'll see the messages in the thread. You can click on the quote thing on one of them and it will appear in your message, and you can do that for multiple posts.

Also, welcome.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ah nice one Gevin. I didn't actually know this, since I spend so long in the flipping quick reply box. Dunno why it only works with the full editor.
Judy W

Post by Judy W »

Hi all

Big countdown fan, and local lady currently in the hotseat, so thought I'd say "hello" and join in the chat!

J.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Judy W wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:40 am Hi all

Big countdown fan, and local lady currently in the hotseat, so thought I'd say "hello" and join in the chat!

J.
Hi Judy,

Good to have you here- look forward to seeing you on Tv!
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Judy W wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:40 am Hi all

J.
Welcome Judy.
Martin Mac

Post by Martin Mac »

Hi all, finally got in after a few login issues....

I've watched Countdown for many years and took the plunge in 2015, auditioning for the show. Had a great day at Dock 10 meeting all the usual suspects plus Helen Skelton-Myler who was in DC on my show. Wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be and gave a good account of myself, eventually losing 98-77 to the legend that is Tracey Mills (Hi Tracey!!). Made a couple of errors that cost me, but wouldn't have won anyway so didn't beat myself up over it. Best bit was James Robinson getting the conundrum right for the audience... "Is it TROUSERED, Nick?".....

Fast forward to this week and I was back up there again. I have four children including identical twin boys of 18 and the older one went to Dock 10 for filming his show/s on Monday. He enjoyed every minute up there and I'll not spoil your fun but he's pleased with how it went overall. We met Brendan up there on both days and had a whale of a time. Now trying to persuade the younger twin that maybe it's his turn.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Martin Mac wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:47 am I have four children including identical twin boys of 18 and the older one went to Dock 10 for filming his show/s on Monday. He enjoyed every minute up there and I'll not spoil your fun but he's pleased with how it went overall. We met Brendan up there on both days and had a whale of a time. Now trying to persuade the younger twin that maybe it's his turn.
Would that happen to be David? He goes to school with my brother.

Anyway, welcome! Good to (properly) see you here
cheers maus
Martin Mac

Post by Martin Mac »

Thomas Carey wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:09 am
Martin Mac wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:47 am I have four children including identical twin boys of 18 and the older one went to Dock 10 for filming his show/s on Monday. He enjoyed every minute up there and I'll not spoil your fun but he's pleased with how it went overall. We met Brendan up there on both days and had a whale of a time. Now trying to persuade the younger twin that maybe it's his turn.
Would that happen to be David? He goes to school with my brother.

Anyway, welcome! Good to (properly) see you here
No, it's not although there was a guy called David there at the filming.

Thanks for the welcome, by the way. :D
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Welcome Mac. You'll enjoy it I'm sure.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Martin Mac wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:47 am Hi all, finally got in after a few login issues....

I've watched Countdown for many years and took the plunge in 2015, auditioning for the show. Had a great day at Dock 10 meeting all the usual suspects plus Helen Skelton-Myler who was in DC on my show. Wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be and gave a good account of myself, eventually losing 98-77 to the legend that is Tracey Mills (Hi Tracey!!). Made a couple of errors that cost me, but wouldn't have won anyway so didn't beat myself up over it. Best bit was James Robinson getting the conundrum right for the audience... "Is it TROUSERED, Nick?".....

Fast forward to this week and I was back up there again. I have four children including identical twin boys of 18 and the older one went to Dock 10 for filming his show/s on Monday. He enjoyed every minute up there and I'll not spoil your fun but he's pleased with how it went overall. We met Brendan up there on both days and had a whale of a time. Now trying to persuade the younger twin that maybe it's his turn.
Welcome Martin- look forward to seeing him on TV- Apterous is a great resource if he is after some practising.
Ronan M Higginson
Enthusiast

Post by Ronan M Higginson »

Hi, My name is Ronan Higginson and I am a great fan of the show (have been for many years now). Image
Last edited by Ronan M Higginson on Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Martin Mac

Post by Martin Mac »

Tom S wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:35 pm
Martin Mac wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:47 am Hi all, finally got in after a few login issues....

Welcome Martin- look forward to seeing him on TV- Apterous is a great resource if he is after some practising.
Bit late to the party here, but that is my lad on there now, Harry.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Martin Mac wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:06 pm
Tom S wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:35 pm

Bit late to the party here, but that is my lad on there now, Harry.
Not seen today's show, but he did a good job yesterday and should be proud of his teapot! :)
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

He's looking strong and settled.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum