Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Since this has turned into a general advice thread, I think this is pretty good. It's about football, but it can apply elsewhere.
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

Another thing that can help is, after spotting a normal word like EMO or RAG, looking at the remaining letters to see if there is a prefix or suffix that might extend it (-TION and -STONE for those examples).
Last edited by JJ Smith on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

Johnny Canuck wrote:And rounding off the pantheon of best training practices for each Countdown discipline... it's very useful to learn all 9-letter words that are plurals, present-tense -S verbs, capitalised, not in the ODO or obscene to train for conundrums.
In daily life I tend to avoid using these words, so they are less prominent in my vocabulary. If I am asking more than one cardigan for example, I will say "Could I have a cardigan, and then one additional cardigan, thank you."
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JJ Smith wrote:Another thing that can help is, after spotting a normal word like EMO or RAG, looking at the remaining letters to see if there is a prefix or suffix that might extend it (-TION and -STONE for those examples).
EMOSTONE?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Stephen R
Series 76 Champion

Post by Stephen R »

Finally got round to making an account here. I've been on apterous for a number of years, gone to one Co event (Leeds), with hopefully more coming up if I can get to them.
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Welcome to the forum Stephen. :)

Yes it would be great to see you at more Co events in the future, as well as your continued presence on apterous. :)
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

Hello All,
New to here. Been on Apterous a few months. Passed a CD audition in October. I am a teacher in Ireland though and my (amazing, but) inflexible holidays mean I have no idea when I'll be filming.

None of my available dates up to the end of the Summer suit, so it could be a long time before I grace the studios! That just gives me some time to work towards my aim - to not get hammered in my show. Winning a game would be a very welcome bonus, but avoiding embarrassment is the aim!

Once again, hello to all :)
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Noel Mc wrote:Hello All,
New to here. Been on Apterous a few months. Passed a CD audition in October. I am a teacher in Ireland though and my (amazing, but) inflexible holidays mean I have no idea when I'll be filming.

None of my available dates up to the end of the Summer suit, so it could be a long time before I grace the studios! That just gives me some time to work towards my aim - to not get hammered in my show. Winning a game would be a very welcome bonus, but avoiding embarrassment is the aim!

Once again, hello to all :)
Welcome! I heard that they're filming series 76 as quickly as possible so Rachel can have an extended break to spend with Pasha (their work schedules apparently keep colliding) so it might not be until way later on in the year when they do series 77. More time for you to practise though!

Hopefully you'll be able to go to at least one of the Irish events this year and meet some of us weirdos :)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Who or what is Pasha?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

the affair dancer thing
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:the affair dancer thing
Right. I suppose Jen's so into her celebrity gossip that she would just assume everyone would know about this stuff.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Right. I suppose Jen's so into her celebrity gossip that she would just assume everyone would know about this stuff.
Or maybe everyone does know about this stuff except you. (Seriously though, it's pretty common knowledge.)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Or maybe everyone does know about this stuff except you. (Seriously though, it's pretty common knowledge.)
Actually I was aware there was some thing but I had no idea his name was Pasha.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Never heard of Pasha or watched Strictly, so needed Google to tell me what that was all about :?
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

At the behest of starting a new thread for, something which requires a fairly quick answer:

Can I enquire what sort of paper the contestants use on Countdown? Blank/lined/squared?
Also, do they get given a pencil/pen or other writing implement (quill and their own blood?)
Sean Fletcher
Acolyte

Post by Sean Fletcher »

blank paper and a pen
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Noel Mc wrote:At the behest of starting a new thread for, something which requires a fairly quick answer:

Can I enquire what sort of paper the contestants use on Countdown? Blank/lined/squared?
Also, do they get given a pencil/pen or other writing implement (quill and their own blood?)
They do indeed get given their own blood, which freaks most of them out as they have no recollection of it ever being taken.
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

Hello!

I'm Dan,
I've been playing on Apterous since roughly the start of 2017 and I'm loving it! At the moment I'm just playing for fun, especially with important exams coming up (A Levels + STEP) but my end goal one day is to become a series champion (I'm not nearly at that level yet but I'm willing to put the time in, when I have the time - I'm so glad I found Apterous before applying)

Also hoping to attend my first event this year in MK 😃 so hopefully (if things go to plan) I might meet some of you there
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Hello! My name is Toby McDonald and I am a very big fan of Countdown. I have been watching Countdown for quite a while and I started playing more seriously in 2013. I used to watch it before though, as early as the Des Lynam era. However, I was born in 2001, so I didn't get to watch many programmes with Richard Whiteley. My mum appeared on the show back in 2005 (but the show wasn't aired until 2006).

I think have been improving quite a bit, and I would like to appear on the actual show one day, hopefully. However, I am still doing my GCSEs, so I need to make them more of a priority than Countdown for the moment, but they are finishing on June 21st. :)

Currently, I do not have a subscription for Apterous, but I would really like to because I feel it would be the best way to practice, if I want to try and win some games on TV. :)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Toby McDonald wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:59 pm Hello! My name is Toby McDonald and I am a very big fan of Countdown. I have been watching Countdown for quite a while and I started playing more seriously in 2013. I used to watch it before though, as early as the Des Lynam era. However, I was born in 2001, so I didn't get to watch many programmes with Richard Whiteley. My mum appeared on the show back in 2005 (but the show wasn't aired until 2006).

I think have been improving quite a bit, and I would like to appear on the actual show one day, hopefully. However, I am still doing my GCSEs, so I need to make them more of a priority than Countdown for the moment, but they are finishing on June 21st. :)

Currently, I do not have a subscription for Apterous, but I would really like to because I feel it would be the best way to practice, if I want to try and win some games on TV. :)
Welcome to the forum! :)

Yeah, definitely definitely get a subscription with superstats. It is an absolutely invaluable practise tool and has helped me no end.

That's some dedication if you was watching Countdown when you was 4 !
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Dan Byrom wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 am Hello!

I'm Dan,
I've been playing on Apterous since roughly the start of 2017 and I'm loving it! At the moment I'm just playing for fun, especially with important exams coming up (A Levels + STEP) but my end goal one day is to become a series champion (I'm not nearly at that level yet but I'm willing to put the time in, when I have the time - I'm so glad I found Apterous before applying)

Also hoping to attend my first event this year in MK 😃 so hopefully (if things go to plan) I might meet some of you there
Welcome to the forum also! :)
Series championdom might not be too far away!
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Hi all, I'm Tom, have watched the show ever since being a youngster and am currently in application process. I look forward to developing my skill and hopefully getting on the show. Cheers!
Last edited by Tom S on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Hi All, I'm Ryan, also known as "RLSJ1997" on the Countdown Wiki. I have watched the show since 2013 just after the 30th Birthday Championship, but only discovered this website early this year and after watching the more memorable episodes, decided to start recapping.

I just joined Apterous but I have yet to play a game, probably coming your way in January 2018. Hope to develop my skills and have fun playing the game with real people! 2017 has really been a good year for Countdown, Cheers! :)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Ryan Lam wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:18 pm Hi All, I'm Ryan, also known as "RLSJ1997" on the Countdown Wiki. I have watched the show since 2013 just after the 30th Birthday Championship, but only discovered this website early this year and after watching the more memorable episodes, decided to start recapping.

I just joined Apterous but I have yet to play a game, probably coming your way in January 2018. Hope to develop my skills and have fun playing the game with real people! 2017 has really been a good year for Countdown, Cheers! :)

Hi Ryan, welcome to this site!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Yes, welcome and to anyone else who has posted above with little or no response.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:10 pm Yes, welcome and to anyone else who has posted above with little or no response.
Cheers Gavin! Have settled in well :) .
Stephen Holford

Post by Stephen Holford »

Hello all
I'm Stephen and have been on Apterous for about 8 months. So I recognise some of the names here, even if it's just from giving me a whipping in the current tourney
have always been a fan of Countdown, but have only started watching religiously for the last 4 series or so

I'm off to Manchester on Tuesday for my recording on Wednesday
Obviously a bit terrified at the prospect but also looking forward to it immensely
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Stephen Holford wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 1:25 pm Hello all
I'm Stephen and have been on Apterous for about 8 months. So I recognise some of the names here, even if it's just from giving me a whipping in the current tourney
have always been a fan of Countdown, but have only started watching religiously for the last 4 series or so

I'm off to Manchester on Tuesday for my recording on Wednesday
Obviously a bit terrified at the prospect but also looking forward to it immensely
Welcome Stephen- you will have a great time and will smash it :)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Hello. Big fan of countdown
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:23 am Hello. Big fan of countdown
Welcome! :)

Have you considered signing up to apterous?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

I'd rather do great on my own. Without other people seeing my skills. But thanks anyway👍
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:27 pm And rounding off the pantheon of best training practices for each Countdown discipline... it's very useful to learn all 9-letter words that are plurals, present-tense -S verbs, capitalised, not in the ODO or obscene to train for conundrums.

Very true. I respect that
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

How do I respond to things the way Elliott responded to mine? Like how it shows his words right under my text?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 pm How do I respond to things the way Elliott responded to mine? Like how it shows his words right under my text?
Hey Owen, if you see the speech marks symbol (") in the top-right corner of the quote you want to refer to, then you can do it there, it'll all become obvious. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:55 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:53 pm How do I respond to things the way Elliott responded to mine? Like how it shows his words right under my text?
Hey Owen, if you see the speech marks symbol (") in the top-right corner of the quote you want to refer to, then you can do it there, it'll all become obvious. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
And make sure you write your reply after the bit that says [/quote]. Cos it looks like that's went wrong above when quoting Johnny Canuck.
Last edited by Gavin Chipper on Sat May 26, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

James Robinson wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:55 pm
Cheers James!!!!!!
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

My name doesn't appear in the select yourself option for recaps. Why not?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 7:59 pm My name doesn't appear in the select yourself option for recaps. Why not?
You aren't a recapper.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

How do I become a recapped?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:23 pm How do I become a recapped?
It's sort of not really as much a thing as it used to be. If you're really interested speak to James Robinson/Johnny Canuck.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:38 pm
It's sort of not really as much a thing as it used to be. If you're really interested speak to James Robinson/Johnny Canuck.
Thanks!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:40 pm
Thanks!
Although it's not as much of a thing as it used to be, it would be good if it became so again.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:04 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks!
Although it's not as much of a thing as it used to be, it would be good if it became so again.
I'll second that. I saw how good the recaps were, like how they were commenting after almost every round. Glad they brought that back when tom faced Bradley. Wish they'd continued it though
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Hey is there a series 78 finals prediction like there was for s76 and 77?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

First day and already up to page 12. Impressive.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:14 pm First day and already up to page 12. Impressive.
Can you please rephrase that?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:03 am
Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:14 pm First day and already up to page 12. Impressive.
There's 59 pages of users, and if you sort users by number of posts, you're up to page 12 (of 59) already.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 6:53 am
Owen Carroll wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 12:03 am
There's 59 pages of users, and if you sort users by number of posts, you're up to page 12 (of 59) already.
Cheer👍
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Anybody heard about that British gameshow service in July?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Anybody know if it will show all countdown episodes? Including ones with low scores?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

P.S. Sent application to go onto the show😄
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:06 pm Anybody heard about that British gameshow service in July?
Owen Carroll wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:07 pm Anybody know if it will show all countdown episodes? Including ones with low scores?
Yeah, I hope it will have all the old episodes on it.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

James Robinson wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:51 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:06 pm Anybody heard about that British gameshow service in July?
Owen Carroll wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:07 pm Anybody know if it will show all countdown episodes? Including ones with low scores?
Fingers crossed
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:09 pm
James Robinson wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 9:51 pm
Fingers crossed
But does anyone know for certain if it will?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 11:58 am

Elliott are you the one that's gonna be on in series 79?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Owen Carroll wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:16 pm

With any luck:D
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:57 am
Owen Carroll wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:16 pm

With any luck:D
Cool
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Guys for when that British game show service comes out in July, if it'll have the 30bc, for anyone who watched it, when Nick is explaining the contestant's history in the show do we get a brief footage of them in the show like we did for the supreme championship?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Owen Carroll wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:32 pm Guys for when that British game show service comes out in July, if it'll have the 30bc, for anyone who watched it, when Nick is explaining the contestant's history in the show do we get a brief footage of them in the show like we did for the supreme championship?
No, I don't think they did that, at least not for most of the games. If they showed an old picture or two, I don't recall it.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Graeme Cole wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:38 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 10:32 pm Guys for when that British game show service comes out in July, if it'll have the 30bc, for anyone who watched it, when Nick is explaining the contestant's history in the show do we get a brief footage of them in the show like we did for the supreme championship?
No, I don't think they did that, at least not for most of the games. If they showed an old picture or two, I don't recall it.
K. Thanks Graeme. You know if they are showing all countdown episodes?