Spoilers for Monday 12th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 45)

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Spoilers for Monday 12th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 45)

Post by Tony Atkins »

Zarte's 8th show of this run.
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Re: Spoilers for Monday 12th March 2018 (Series 78, Prelim 45)

Post by Tony Atkins »

I bet Zarte was annoyed by missing that numbers game - 837 was possible (25-(2x7))x75+2x6 - but I got the 836
without factoring in the 2 times: (2x6x75)-((25+7)x2)

The 7 points would have equalled Dylan's 974 run and the 10 beaten it (who of course beat Zarte last time round).
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Ryan Lam
Enthusiast

Post by Ryan Lam »

Well done Zarte! You've definitely won the hearts of all of us, not only your cheerleaders in the studios, but those watching at home as well! You came back stronger and more prepared this time round after five years, and sure enough it's paid off for you. (Although it's a shame Philip had to be your first challenger, I would've wished it was someone else then but nevermind...I'm sure if he can learn for you he will be in a much stronger form should he choose to reapply in the near future...)

All I can say is for now, congratulations, don't be too tensed up for the Finals in June (Which the recording actually takes place tomorrow in real-life, but of course the results will not be out until mid to end-June.) It's a shame the record was not broken today but it's ok, getting runner-up is a good consolation and the fact you've beaten all the Octochamps Preliminary Runs last year says a lot already... :)
Brett Davids
Rookie

Post by Brett Davids »

Top work Zarte. All the hard work paid off. What came across to the viewer was, despite the fact that on one level you must be aware just how good at the game you are, you were still humble and seems to enjoy every moment.

Difficult to tell for certain, but you seemed quite emotional at the end there!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ryan Lam wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm (Although it's a shame Philip had to be your first challenger, I would've wished it was someone else then but nevermind...I'm sure if he can learn for you he will be in a much stronger form should he choose to reapply in the near future...)
He might still make the quarter finals!

But anyway, I think it shows the standard Zarte has been setting that 111 is seen as a low score for him. 111 is an awesome score! And 967 still puts him in a strong position to be the highest scoring xicount - it's not all about octochamp scores! So congratulations etc. and see you in the quarters!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Excellent as ever from Zarte, congratulations on becoming an octochamp and a very well deserved one too. Never once showed any signs of smugness and I was really rooting for you to surpass 974, but 967 is certainly nothing to be sniffed at. The desperate fish for RATIONALE was evident.

Look forward to seeing you in the finals for more brilliance and non-stop pen fiddling:)
Ian Birdman

Post by Ian Birdman »

Tony Atkins wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 pm I bet Zarte was annoyed by missing that numbers game - 837 was possible (25-(2x7))x75+2x6 - but I got the 836

The 7 points would have equalled Dylan's 974 run and the 10 beaten it (who of course beat Zarte last time round).
Im sure Zarte really appreciates that Tony! I'm sure the pain will be tempered by knowing you got it though.

Brilliant brilliant series of games Z man! That last one was edge of your seat stuff, especially as the record was always going to be close. Your opponent today seemed to make it his mission to make sure you didnt get it with his selections - some curious picks. He'd probably have selected 9 consonants last round if he was able. To be fair to him he came out with some nice spots and seemed a decent player though.

Good luck in the finals!
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

I just had some man shout at me ‘You wouldn’t have beaten that guy last week!’, seemingly in reference to Zarte.

No idea who the guy was. He must love countdown though.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Ryan Lam wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 pm Well done Zarte! You've definitely won the hearts of all of us, not only your cheerleaders in the studios, but those watching at home as well! You came back stronger and more prepared this time round after five years, and sure enough it's paid off for you. (Although it's a shame Philip had to be your first challenger, I would've wished it was someone else then but nevermind...I'm sure if he can learn for you he will be in a much stronger form should he choose to reapply in the near future...)

All I can say is for now, congratulations, don't be too tensed up for the Finals in June (Which the recording actually takes place tomorrow in real-life, but of course the results will not be out until mid to end-June.) It's a shame the record was not broken today but it's ok, getting runner-up is a good consolation and the fact you've beaten all the Octochamps Preliminary Runs last year says a lot already... :)
Thanks Ryan. I've had to practise hard over the years to get to my current level, but it's now worth it. I wish it could have been someone other than Philip too. He's a super player, and however much people might choose to disagree, he's a lovely, lovely guy.

I obviously can't say much about finals, however I was definitely less tense. The heats mattered, because I had scores to settle with my own history. Octoing and getting my hands on some Kryptonite was enough for me.

I'm not at all bothered (OK, a tiny bit, but not much) by missing the record. If I had, it would only ever have been tempered by "But he got 2 gos!" anyway. I played just about as well as I could, and I stuck to my M.O. - I couldn't be any more pleased.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Brett Davids wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:56 pm Top work Zarte. All the hard work paid off. What came across to the viewer was, despite the fact that on one level you must be aware just how good at the game you are, you were still humble and seems to enjoy every moment.

Difficult to tell for certain, but you seemed quite emotional at the end there!
Cheers Brett, I really was. It was something I'd dreamed of to various degrees since I started watching when I was 3 years old. Not many people have a 25 year dream, and even fewer achieve it.
Gavin Chipper wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:30 pm But anyway, I think it shows the standard Zarte has been setting that 111 is seen as a low score for him. 111 is an awesome score! And 967 still puts him in a strong position to be the highest scoring xicount - it's not all about octochamp scores! So congratulations etc. and see you in the quarters!
Yeah, 8 above 110 was amazing. I wanted to get 8 centuries, and even that I thought could be iffy with a couple of really hard games thrown in there.

I wasn't even aware that Xicount totals got measured before this post...
Elliott Mellor wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:35 pm Excellent as ever from Zarte, congratulations on becoming an octochamp and a very well deserved one too. Never once showed any signs of smugness and I was really rooting for you to surpass 974, but 967 is certainly nothing to be sniffed at. The desperate fish for RATIONALE was evident.

Look forward to seeing you in the finals for more brilliance and non-stop pen fiddling:)
Cheers Ell - I can't help the fiddling. It's either that or the curious gurning. I don't realise I'm doing either of them at the time... and yeah. There was an audible groan when the letter didn't come out for it. I don't think that made it into the edit.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Ian Birdman wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:52 pm
Tony Atkins wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 pm I bet Zarte was annoyed by missing that numbers game - 837 was possible (25-(2x7))x75+2x6 - but I got the 836

Im sure Zarte really appreciates that Tony! I'm sure the pain will be tempered by knowing you got it though.

Brilliant brilliant series of games Z man! That last one was edge of your seat stuff, especially as the record was always going to be close. Your opponent today seemed to make it his mission to make sure you didnt get it with his selections - some curious picks. He'd probably have selected 9 consonants last round if he was able. To be fair to him he came out with some nice spots and seemed a decent player though.

Good luck in the finals!

Tony - Then you'd bet wrong. I could easily have fudged something within 5. I chose not to, because I wanted to play with a sense of decorum. I knew the record was closeish (I didn't know how close, I asked for people not to tell me, which they didn't, barring of course one obvious cretin)

Ian - ;)

Thanks pal. Yeah the last game was a weird one. I think he was a bit miffed because he had quite a high opinion of himself having been a previous octochamp in the 90s, and then I got ahead of him quite quickly. He wasn't nasty or anything like that, but he was probably my least favourite opponent. There was no warmth in the game whatsoever.
Noel Mc wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:58 pm I just had some man shout at me ‘You wouldn’t have beaten that guy last week!’, seemingly in reference to Zarte.

No idea who the guy was. He must love countdown though.
He can't love it that much or he'd know you've regularly given me a pummelling with your 4 large... I'd struggle to beat you anyway, I'm too used to rooting for you :lol: