Things you can't do that it always seems like everyone else can

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Things you can't do that it always seems like everyone else can

Post by Mark Deeks »

Do that card shuffling thing where you split the deck in half then splice them together.

Whistle using the fingers-in-the-mouth technique.

Three large.

Remember surnames.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Mark James
Kiloposter

Re: Things you can't do that it always seems like everyone else can

Post by Mark James »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 pm Do that card shuffling thing where you split the deck in half then splice them together.
Like anything it just takes practice. I think one problem people have is they are afraid of over-bending the cards especially if you're doing it in your hands rather than on a table. I couldn't do it until I stopped worrying about that. The sound of the additional waterfall flourish is one of my favourite sounds.
Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 pm Whistle using the fingers-in-the-mouth technique.
Yep. Agreed. I don't see what help the fingers are supposed to be.
Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 pm Three large.
Three large is my new go to if I'm a bit behind since everyone seems to have improved on six small or knows the four large techniques (which I don't). I'm not great at it but it at least if I don't get it chances are my opponent wont either.
Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 pm Remember surnames.
I suck at names in general. Like right after someone tells me their name. It's incredibly rude and it feels like the more I make an effort the worse it is. Like my brain is saying "don't forget this persons name" but because it said that it wasn't paying attention to their name.

My own personal one though is enjoying the last day of your holiday without constantly worrying about missing your flight home. I don't care at all about missing my flight to somewhere, even if it cost me money, but coming home I have a constant uneasy feeling until I'm actually sitting on the plane or at least reaching the departure gate. Everyone else I know seems to have a "shit happens" attitude. And to be fair I probably would have that attitude myself if I did actually miss the flight and I'd just get on with it, but I still can't get rid of that horrible feeling.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

1) Swim
2) Enjoy Game of Thrones
3) Read an Ordnance Survey Map
4) Speak a foreign Language
5) Play a musical instrument
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

I can't do most of the things listed here thus far (exceptions are swimming and maybe 3L?).

I also cannot:
- click my fingers
- make a cup of tea (I could probably fumble my way through it, but it's definitely something that most people can do)
- boil an egg (although i've only ever tried to boil 8 at once)
- enjoy the film Fight Club
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

-Sleep on my back. I'm strictly a stomach or side guy.
-Enjoy any form of soap opera or reality TV apart from the apprentice (and that last one is pure schadenfreude)
-Possess any form of fashion sense whatsoever. If I could get away with wearing the same jeans and t-shirt (jumper in winter) every day, I would. Even to work or funerals.

And last, but not least-

-Actually enjoy interacting with other human beings.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:40 pm - boil an egg (although i've only ever tried to boil 8 at once)
Therein lies your mistake. The correct number to boil at once is 7 (in a suitably sized pan).
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

After some further consideration here are some more
1) wink
2) juggle, even two balls
3) be sympathetic when someone is ill (terminally ill people are different)
4) enjoy wine
5) skip with a rope
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Walk
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:56 amWalk
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Chat up girls
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Dance like there's no-one watching.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Enjoy listening to songs that I've heard 64,775 times before.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Volante wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:06 pm Enjoy listening to songs that I've heard 64,775 times before.
Quite an intriguing one. Obviously you're going for hyperbole, but realistically when would a song's joy die for you? There are many, many tracks that I can't ever imagine suddenly not enjoying.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:40 pm - make a cup of tea (I could probably fumble my way through it, but it's definitely something that most people can do)
You saved yourself a bit with the brackets but I still think this deserves being picked at. Anyone can make a cup of tea. I have never ever been a tea drinker yet have never failed to make an at least half-decent and entirely acceptable cup of tea for anyone that requests one, despite sharing the same constant worrying as you probably do of "does this look ok?", "does that taste right?", etc.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Paul Worsley wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:56 am Dance like there's no-one watching.
Does this include when you know for sure that no one is watching?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 pm Three large.
I don't think that's really a thing though. Just like when I went to my local parkrun on Saturday, finished ninth behind mostly teenagers, and thought "Wow, I must be really shit then". You're comparing yourself against the wrong people.
Ben Wilson wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:43 pm -Sleep on my back. I'm strictly a stomach or side guy.
I can't sleep on my stomach. Do people actually do this? I'm more of a side guy, which I think is the best.
And last, but not least-

-Actually enjoy interacting with other human beings.
And we're all the more grateful that you still managed to invent CO-events.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Peter Mabey wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:21 pm Chat up girls
This.
Paul Worsley wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:56 am Dance like there's no-one watching.
Of course this.

Also, know all the words to every song I've ever heard and be able to start singing it as soon as it starts playing (not that I would sing it anyway even if I did know the words).

Be able to read quickly and not switch off and find myself rereading the same sentence 25 times.

Pay attention all the way through a film in the cinema.

Think that most hyped up films aren't shit and actually enjoy them.

Write essays in exams. Generally write essays about things that I don't have a particular strong interest or opinion in.

Play football.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Figure out directions apart from straight / up without tilting my head or the map.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Pot down the cushion. Ever.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Mark Deeks wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:24 pm Pot down the cushion. Ever.
I could do this all the time on my table at home, as long as it was the one that was on the slope :D
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:58 pm
Jennifer Steadman wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:40 pm - make a cup of tea (I could probably fumble my way through it, but it's definitely something that most people can do)
You saved yourself a bit with the brackets but I still think this deserves being picked at. Anyone can make a cup of tea. I have never ever been a tea drinker yet have never failed to make an at least half-decent and entirely acceptable cup of tea for anyone that requests one, despite sharing the same constant worrying as you probably do of "does this look ok?", "does that taste right?", etc.
Tea drinkers need to check their privilege. If I went to their house and wanted a chai latte they probably wouldn't be able to make me one, so why should non-tea drinkers be expected to faff about with tea? Especially when they start fucking about with sugar, the order in which the milk/tea/water goes, the colour of it, how long it sits for, etc. It's a person's house, not a café. Very weird. People who want tea should make their own.

Also, tea obsessives who go on about how they LITERALLY can't live without tea and will LITERALLY die if they don't get a brew need an intervention, and I'm more than happy to provide that by withholding their drug.

(This is one of my petty hills to die on.)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:48 am
Tea drinkers need to check their privilege. If I went to their house and wanted a chai latte they probably wouldn't be able to make me one, so why should non-tea drinkers be expected to faff about with tea? Especially when they start fucking about with sugar, the order in which the milk/tea/water goes, the colour of it, how long it sits for, etc. It's a person's house, not a café. Very weird. People who want tea should make their own.

Also, tea obsessives who go on about how they LITERALLY can't live without tea and will LITERALLY die if they don't get a brew need an intervention, and I'm more than happy to provide that by withholding their drug.

This is good. If I had my own place, I probably wouldn't even bother having tea in the house. I wouldn't expect someone else to have, say, ginger beer ready and waiting in case I came round and demanded it.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

so why should non-tea drinkers be expected to faff about with tea?
Because to make an adequate cup of tea, you literally put a bag in a cup then pour water on it.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:58 am
Jennifer Steadman wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:48 am

This is good. If I had my own place, I probably wouldn't even bother having tea in the house. I wouldn't expect someone else to have, say, ginger beer ready and waiting in case I came round and demanded it.
Enough people like tea that it's plenty normalised enough to have some, even if you don't drink it yourself, you misanthrope. It's not like it goes off quick and you have to have a fresh supply in the chamber.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:55 pm
Ian Volante wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:06 pm Enjoy listening to songs that I've heard 64,775 times before.
Quite an intriguing one. Obviously you're going for hyperbole, but realistically when would a song's joy die for you? There are many, many tracks that I can't ever imagine suddenly not enjoying.
It's true that there are a dozen or so songs that I could happily listen to forever, but when you get to a point where a particular band only ever have one song played, (e.g. Abba, Bon Jovi, Journey), that particular song quickly palls. It's probably a wider problem of irritation with the lack of imagination on the part of the DJ.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Mark Deeks wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 am
Because to make an adequate cup of tea, you literally put a bag in a cup then pour water on it.
Pretty sure most people would kick off if you didn't put any milk in it, and that's when the whole tea making process goes tits up.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Ask them if they want milk, then pour in enough so it changes colour a bit. That's it. That's an acceptable cup of tea.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Mark Deeks wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:37 am
But what foreigners don't understand that the only way to get it right is that it must be BOILING water - as my mum said 'take the pot to the kettle!'
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

This may need its own thread soon but I'm with Jen and Gev. It's time for non tea drinkers to take a stand. I don't drink it and I'm not keeping it in my house. Same goes for coffee.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I don't drink tea either but it's not hard to make it to basic level to please the sybarites who live on it, surely
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I fall in the middle. I don't mind keeping it in the house for people (same with coffee), but if you want a hot drink you make it yourself.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

It depends on the level of familiarity. The missus makes her own, as would family if they came over. If its your first couple of times here, I'd do it. But if you're a regular, do your own tea.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

There's a lovely caf I've been to a few times for breakfast when at CoLin and when they ask if I want tea or coffee, "no thanks" seems to translate to coffee. In fact most places I've ever been don't seem to understand the concept of not wanting tea or coffee with breakfast. I tend to just order coffee now and just not drink it rather than get into a big harangue about it.

It's the same in McDonald's when you don't want a drink. They can't understand it and try to explain how it's cheaper with a drink. I don't care. In fact I'll happily pay extra for the convenience of not having to carry around the bloody container.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Matt Morrison wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:59 pm
Does this include when you know for sure that no one is watching?
Makes no difference. It's not that I can't dance, it's just that I derive no pleasure from it and avoid it if at all possible.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:32 pm I fall in the middle. I don't mind keeping it in the house for people (same with coffee), but if you want a hot drink you make it yourself.
This must be a generational thing.
If you are a guest in my house I would expect to make my guests their beverage.
If I had to make my own drink then unless they are ill or injured I would expect them to make it
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ice skating. Why is everyone else so good at this suddenly?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Charlie Reams wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:10 pm Ice skating. Why is everyone else so good at this suddenly?
I am deathly afraid of ice-skating :oops:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I've been ice-skating a couple of times over the years (no fault of my own), and everyone else seemed to already know how to do it. I'm not sure how though. When did they learn?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:58 pm
Charlie Reams wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:10 pm Ice skating. Why is everyone else so good at this suddenly?
Is it the fear of falling over and someone running over your fingers.

Seventies joke alert.....Ice skating is a good place to pick up women
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Marc Meakin wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:20 am
Jennifer Steadman wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:58 pm
Is it the fear of falling over and someone running over your fingers.
Partly that, but mostly the fact I'm not in control of my feet :(
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I haven't ice skated in years but I picked it up fairly quickly when I tried it. I am terrified of the losing fingers thing though.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:12 pm I haven't ice skated in years but I picked it up fairly quickly when I tried it. I am terrified of the losing fingers thing though.
Wear sturdy gloves. I'm not even joking either. Why don't people just do this?
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:05 pm
Mark James wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:12 pm I haven't ice skated in years but I picked it up fairly quickly when I tried it. I am terrified of the losing fingers thing though.
Wear sturdy gloves. I'm not even joking either. Why don't people just do this?
Well yes, but you can still be afraid of something even after taking necessary precautions to prevent it. The fear wouldn't prevent me from ice skating, the lack of ice rink is the main culprit there. We get temporary ones around Christmas time but the "ice" is more like kitchen tiles than actual ice and it destroys the experience. Although they may have been improved since the last time I went.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Oh wait, much more obvious one. Sleeping in a bed with someone else.

This just obviously seems like the worst idea ever and if it were being invented now I think most adults would be horrified. You have to go to sleep at the time chosen by whichever of you wants to go to bed later, and get up at the earlier time. If one of you has a bad night's sleep then you both do. You get woken up every time they get up for a wee or a drink or whatever, and vice versa. You have to fight for the duvet, pillows, space, side of the bed, control of the lights, etc. It's terrible and I don't know how anyone else does it, I can't even fall asleep in that context.

My girlfriend and I sleep in separate beds, in separate rooms, on separate floors -- and it's great.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:10 pmYou have to go to sleep at the time chosen by whichever of you wants to go to bed later, and get up at the earlier time.
Whilst you're obviously mental (and whilst that whilst I respect your reasoning) this particular part is surely totally wrong. And we have a kid!

Hmm.. or maybe it's wrong because we have a kid...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:09 pm
Charlie Reams wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:10 pmYou have to go to sleep at the time chosen by whichever of you wants to go to bed later, and get up at the earlier time.
Whilst you're obviously mental (and whilst that whilst I respect your reasoning) this particular part is surely totally wrong. And we have a kid!

I think Charlie's post is perfectly sensible apart from this bit. Just because you sleep in the same bed, it doesn't mean you have to go to bed and get up at the same time. Obviously you might wake each other up, but you can go back to sleep again.

Edit - Also, this and this.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

As a web person, i've always found it slightly strange that old BBC articles maintain the stylings of the BBC website at the time rather than fit into the of-the-time BBC website design. Very strange, an odd lack of separation between content and style that is supposed to be the backbone of web design. And surely more hard work to maintain behind the scenes.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I like them about them, though.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:43 pm As a web person, i've always found it slightly strange that old BBC articles maintain the stylings of the BBC website at the time rather than fit into the of-the-time BBC website design. Very strange, an odd lack of separation between content and style that is supposed to be the backbone of web design. And surely more hard work to maintain behind the scenes.
It means you're less likely to confuse an old article for a new one, so it can be quite useful.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Charlie Reams wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:10 pmMy girlfriend and I sleep in separate beds, in separate rooms, on separate floors
Are you absolutely sure you aren't reading more into this relationship than she is?

And ice skating? An impossible dream. I've never managed to stand unsupported with roller skates on.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Charlie Reams wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:10 pm Oh wait, much more obvious one. Sleeping in a bed with someone else.

This just obviously seems like the worst idea ever and if it were being invented now I think most adults would be horrified. You have to go to sleep at the time chosen by whichever of you wants to go to bed later, and get up at the earlier time. If one of you has a bad night's sleep then you both do. You get woken up every time they get up for a wee or a drink or whatever, and vice versa. You have to fight for the duvet, pillows, space, side of the bed, control of the lights, etc. It's terrible and I don't know how anyone else does it, I can't even fall asleep in that context.

My girlfriend and I sleep in separate beds, in separate rooms, on separate floors -- and it's great.
Great idea. Sadly, my other half seems to like cuddles. Maybe I should start snoring or something.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:12 pm
Matt Morrison wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:09 pm

I think Charlie's post is perfectly sensible apart from this bit. Just because you sleep in the same bed, it doesn't mean you have to go to bed and get up at the same time. Obviously you might wake each other up, but you can go back to sleep again.

Edit - Also, this and this.
How on earth do you go to sleep knowing that someone else is going to wake you up again at some random time in the next few hours? I wouldn't be able to sleep with that in mind.
Phil H
Acolyte

Post by Phil H »

Use terms like 'bleeding heaters' and 'tripping meters' and sound like I know what I'm talking about.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Navigate myself, even with any of the various aids out there.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Read a map without turning it upside down for return journeys
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:35 pm Navigate myself, even with any of the various aids out there.
I find that closing my eyes and moving my hands around is usually effective enough in finding what needs found.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Maybe not for this thread but I've never smoked marijuana or taken any non prescription drugs
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:39 pm Maybe not for this thread but I've never smoked marijuana or taken any non prescription drugs
You poor thing.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Basic cooking.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Zarte Siempre wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:17 pm
Marc Meakin wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:39 pm Maybe not for this thread but I've never smoked marijuana or taken any non prescription drugs
You poor thing.
My body is a temple, that's why I look like a Buddha