COHUD 2017 - Countdown In Huddersfield - Saturday 7th October 2017

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

COHUD 2017 - Countdown In Huddersfield - Saturday 7th October 2017

Post by James Robinson »

YEAH, WE'RE BACK BABY!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

I'm back with yet another edition of Countdown In Huddersfield (COHUD), and back by popular demand, Callum Todd is on hand to co-host with me for the second year in a row. ;) :) :D 8-)

We are heading back to Huddersfield once again, and as we have been since 2014, we'll be using PPG Canalside, the Huddersfield Town A.F.C. training complex just up the Leeds Road from the stadium, at HD2 1YJ. It is a fully modern, up-to-date facility and ready to cope with the hustle and bustle of a CO-event. (For a look yourselves, go here: http://www.canalsidesports.com/)

Presented by James Robinson and Callum Todd, using the "Bristol" classroom format and playing along with big screen virtual studio graphics:

**UPDATE - CHANGE OF FORMAT!!!**

Based on the successful introduction in Bournemouth, and with the blessing of Jeff Clayton, we are introducing a new groups-of-four setup to decide who plays who in the heats, much like the early stages of the Euro and World Cup football competitions.

Assuming we get 32 entrants, players will be drawn at random into eight groups to play three heats matches. This means players will know at the start who they will be up against in the heats.

These will be 15-round matches, as per the current television format (10L 4N 1C).

At the end of the three heats, everyone goes into groups of eight for the quarter-finals, in order of number of wins, total points scored and +/- points difference. The winner from each heats group goes into Division A, the runner-up into Division B, third place into C and fourth place into D.

From here, everybody is seeded within their divisions to play a 10-round quarter-final (6L 3N 1C), 10-round semi-final and 14-round final (8L 4N 2C). This will be done in Swiss format, so everybody will get to play right until the end of the day.

The two finalists in Group A will sit out the mainstream final, to play the tournament’s showpiece Grand Final at around 5pm. So if you don’t make the top two, why not recharge your glass, sit back and enjoy!

COHUD 2017 will take place on Saturday 7 October -- doors open at 9am for a prompt 10am start, finishing at around 6pm. The admission price is set at £15 and includes a hot buffet lunch. The cash bar will be available too.

As per usual, payments are available:
- By PayPal (https://www.paypal.me/JRTerrier7/15);
- By phone (0781 775 0544);
- By cheque (address available on request).

We look forward to having you join us up in West Yorkshire!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:

Confirmed Attendees (36):
Tom Carey - Germany
Nathan Pace - Iceland
Ian Peek - Albania
Andrew Alden - Cuba
Zarte Siempre - Spain
Paul Talmey - Vietnam
Phil Jarvis - Italy
Chris Marshall - Republic of Ireland
Stewart Gordon - Netherlands
Dinos Sfyris - Thailand
Paul Worsley - Russia
Jack Worsley - Greece
Joyce Phillips - Canada
Andrew Sullivan - England
Zubair Patel - Belgium
Nicky Owens - Wales
Jeff Clayton - Norway
David Guy - Denmark
Bradley Horrocks - Puerto Rico
Matty Artell - Sweden
Stephen Read - Chile
Mike Springett - Croatia
Tom Chafer-Cook - Jamaica
Mark Mills - Philippines
Tracey Mills - Switzerland
Katherine Webb - France
Gevin Chapwell - Laos
Jason Turner - Saudi Arabia
Taz Turner - Bosnia-Herzegovina
Richard Heald - South Korea
Elaine Broadley - Brazil
Dave Benson - Australia
Richard Priest - Romania
Mike Brown - Hungary
Anthony Endsor - Argentina
Margaret Marshall - Scotland
Last edited by James Robinson on Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 78 times in total.
Andrew Alden

Re: COHUD 2017 - Countdown In Huddersfield - Saturday 7th October 2017

Post by Andrew Alden »

....Having literally just returned from Media City in Manchester recording Countdown I found your post purely by accident but coupled to the fact I live just outside Huddersfield then this event has come as a rather pleasant if somewhat spooky coincidence!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Andrew Alden wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:01 pm ....Having literally just returned from Media City in Manchester recording Countdown I found your post purely by accident but coupled to the fact I live just outside Huddersfield then this event has come as a rather pleasant if somewhat spooky coincidence!
Well, that's brilliant, Andrew.

We love having as many people with us as possible, and if you could attend, that would certainly make me happy.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Poo, first year I'll have to miss CoHud since I started coming to events
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Been a while since I've updated, but our 4th entry is Andrew Alden, who appeared in the show earlier this week.

Nice to get a CO-event debutante. ;) :) :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

While moving up to 7 entrants, thanks to Paul Talmey and Phil Jarvis, I've decided to "borrow" the Bournemouth format of a group stage before the usual "finals stage". More info up top...
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just under 27 days to go now!!!

Now up to 14 entrants, including our 3 time back-to-back COHUD champion, Jack Worsley. ;) :) :D
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

COHUD GOES GLOBAL!!!

Head over to the COHUD Facebook page for more information.

But, for now, Tom Carey is Germany. :P
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

TWENTY UP thanks to Matty Artell. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

The last octochamp of the RW era, Richard Heald, has just signed up, which takes us to a fantastic THIRTY!!! ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I'm probably going to do the Huddersfield parkrun before this if anyone else is interested in coming.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I'm arriving by train at 9.45, anyone likely to be there at the same time to share a cab?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Margaret Marshall (no, not the one who has been to some of the Bristol events), Chris Marshall's mother, has taken us all the way up to THIRTY-SIX!!! ;) :) :D 8-)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

A brilliant day had by all from what I can gather before, during and afterwards. ;) :) :D 8-)

Jack Worsley won for the 4th year in a row, and for the second year in a row, he defeated Stephen Read in the final, the score being 107-89.

Tom Chafer-Cook won Group B, Mike Brown won Group C, Bradley Horrocks won Group D and Mark Mills on Group E.

Andrew Alden won the "Best Newcomer" prize, and Zubair Patel won the "Most Improved" player thanks to finishing in 7th place from being seeded 20th.

Great to host my 10th event. I hope everyone enjoyed the event. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)