Game of the Year (GotY) 2016 - nominations

Official forum of apterous.org, the website which allows you to play against other people over the Internet.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Game of the Year (GotY) 2016 - nominations

Post by Adam Gillard »

Evening, all!

I'm setting up this thread for information and discussion about GotY 2016. For now (before the nominations go "live"), this thread is the forum for any questions about the rules and the general format of the nominations and the GotY 2016 poll. I'm planning to accept nominations for a one-month period after all of the GotW results for 2016 have been confirmed (probably the second week of January 2017). After nominations close (mid-February 2017), I'll post a new thread with the chosen nominees for the poll itself.

At this stage, I'm just setting up this thread as a reminder that the GotY 2016 poll will soon be upon us, and I haven't forgotten about it!

Nominations

The rules for the nominations are as follows:
  • 1) Each person may nominate up to 25 games.
    2) You may nominate any game from 2016. The GotW archive would be a good place to start looking (it lists the top 3 games from each GotW vote; you can see the other games that made it to the GotW vote by clicking on the date in the 'Week' column).
    3) If you nominate a game that didn't make the top 3 in GotW results, then I'll mention it on a list that will be maintained at the bottom of this post, so that others will be able to see it (one mention per game, regardless of how many nominations it receives).
After nominations have closed and all nominations have been counted, I'll select a natural cut-off point at n nominations, such that all games with ≥n nominations make up the final poll. I'm aiming for a cut-off somewhere around 15 nominees for the final poll.

Nominations should be submitted to me by aptomail or by private message on this forum. Please provide the date and full score of each game that you nominate, preferably with a link to the game log (e.g. Johnny Canuck 60 - 28 Apterous Caesar, 1 January 2016).

Voting

The voting works as follows:
  • Each person should submit one of 12 options for each game when voting: A (Abstain), 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 or 10, where 0 is worst and 10 is best. The games are ranked by the average score received from the 0-10 votes (abstentions excluded), with the highest average score declared as the winner. You should submit a vote for every game included in the poll (I'll follow up if you have missed any out), and abstentions are only allowed for games you were involved in.
If you've already submitted your full complement of 25 nominations and then you see a game posted on here that you hadn't noticed initially but want to nominate, you will be allowed to nominate that game in place of a game that you had already nominated (i.e., you'll have to discard one of your nominations - the limit will remain at 25). Alternatively, you can nominate games in dribs and drabs - even one nomination could make a difference if you don't fancy picking out 25! The poll itself will be opened shortly after nominations have closed.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Nominations won't be open for another few weeks yet, but feel free to start having a look back through some great games from 2016!

List of games nominated that didn't make the top 3 of GotW results:

Apterous Soap 0 - 588 Ray Wilding
Eoin Jackson 86 - 82 Dave Armstrong
Last edited by Adam Gillard on Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Re: Game of the Year (GotY) 2016 - nominations

Post by Adam Gillard »

Time to open the nominations! The GotY 2016 poll will be opened shortly after nominations have closed.

NOMINATIONS FOR GotY 2016 ARE NOW OPEN AND WILL CLOSE ON SATURDAY 11 FEBRUARY 2017 AT 11.59pm. NOMINATIONS SHOULD BE SUBMITTED TO ME BY APTOMAIL OR BY PRIVATE MESSAGE ON THIS FORUM. PLEASE PROVIDE THE DATE AND FULL SCORE OF EACH GAME THAT YOU NOMINATE, PREFERABLY WITH A LINK TO THE GAME LOG (e.g. Johnny Canuck 60 - 28 Apterous Caesar, 1 January 2016).

Please see the original post in this thread for further details, and let me know if you have any questions. Happy nominating! :)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Good.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I still need to nominate. It will happen.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Reminder - nominations will close on Saturday 11 February 2017 at 11.59pm.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Nominations have now closed.

Please see the GotY 2016 voting thread for details of the final poll.