Countdowners in the news

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
User avatar
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter
Posts: 1066
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:04 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:Pisses me off that they have to mention he's a countdown champ every few paragraphs, but otherwise I'm glad.
The BBC story does better, referring to him as an "author" in the headline, and mentioning Countdown once.

However, newspapers have this thing where stories have to have an "angle". You'd think "creepy stalking author tracks down and violently assaults someone who gave his book a bad review" would be enough of a story, but not for the Daily Wail, who refer to Countdown eight times in the one article. Countdown is completely irrelevant to the story, but hey, at least they've got their angle.

Perhaps they're trying to beat the number of times he called himself a Countdown champion in that video of his?
'Creepy stalking author' probably isn't a unique story angle, whereas 'creepy stalking Countdown winner and author' is, I would assume, unique. #journolife
🍆

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:49 pm

I get that you want to protect Countdown but ridiculous to be offended or surprised at it being worked into a story.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:00 am

Matt Morrison wrote:I get that you want to protect Countdown but ridiculous to be offended or surprised at it being worked into a story.
Exactly. It's his main claim to fame. If the Queen punched someone in the face for insulting her dog, they're not going to just call her a dog lady and ignore the fact that she's the fucking Queen.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3332
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Ian Volante » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:27 am

Jennifer Steadman wrote: 'Creepy stalking author' probably isn't a unique story angle, whereas 'creepy stalking Countdown winner and author' is, I would assume, unique. #journolife
It's the author bit that makes it.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Graeme Cole » Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:14 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I get that you want to protect Countdown but ridiculous to be offended or surprised at it being worked into a story.
Exactly. It's his main claim to fame. If the Queen punched someone in the face for insulting her dog, they're not going to just call her a dog lady and ignore the fact that she's the fucking Queen.
I can understand it being mentioned, just not belaboured in the way the Mail have done.

Your analogy isn't quite the same thing. Everyone knows your hypothetical punching dog lady as the Queen. However, if you told Joe Public this story and said Richard Brittain was the perpetrator, and Joe Public asked "who's Richard Brittain?" and you said "you know, the winner of series 55 of Countdown back in 2006", Joe Public is probably not going to reply "Oh, him!"

The fact that he won Countdown is a curiosity, and perhaps helps distinguish him from other, innocent, people with the same name, but there's no need for the article to bang on about it like it's the most noteworthy thing about the story.

Dave Preece
Devotee
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 pm
Location: Crewe, Cheshire

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Dave Preece » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:02 pm

Keith Bennett wrote:"Callum's set the bar pretty high tbf, so who knows"

But at least nobody was hurt in the making of the Immoral Octochamp's records. There's misguided, and then there's pure evil.

Still, better hadn't say too much given the type of character RB might spend the next few years making friends with....
What's this about Callum about please?

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Mark Deeks » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Dave Preece
Devotee
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 pm
Location: Crewe, Cheshire

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Dave Preece » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:37 am

Dave Preece wrote:
Keith Bennett wrote:"Callum's set the bar pretty high tbf, so who knows"

But at least nobody was hurt in the making of the Immoral Octochamp's records. There's misguided, and then there's pure evil.

Still, better hadn't say too much given the type of character RB might spend the next few years making friends with....
What's this about Callum about please?
Anyone?

Philip Wilson
Devotee
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Philip Wilson » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:54 am

Dave Preece wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:
Keith Bennett wrote:"Callum's set the bar pretty high tbf, so who knows"

But at least nobody was hurt in the making of the Immoral Octochamp's records. There's misguided, and then there's pure evil.

Still, better hadn't say too much given the type of character RB might spend the next few years making friends with....
What's this about Callum about please?
Anyone?
Wondering that too....

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Graeme Cole » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:32 pm

Dave Preece wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:
Keith Bennett wrote:"Callum's set the bar pretty high tbf, so who knows"

But at least nobody was hurt in the making of the Immoral Octochamp's records. There's misguided, and then there's pure evil.

Still, better hadn't say too much given the type of character RB might spend the next few years making friends with....
What's this about Callum about please?
Anyone?
Philip Wilson wrote: Wondering that too....
Callum was cheating on apterous for a few months around 2013-2014. This got found out and everyone was like:

Image

Dave Preece
Devotee
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 pm
Location: Crewe, Cheshire

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Dave Preece » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:36 pm

Oh right! Quite ironic then that Abdiz – or what ever his name was – cheated him to his only defeat?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:42 pm

Worth a prison sentence all by itself.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:08 am

Graeme Cole wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I get that you want to protect Countdown but ridiculous to be offended or surprised at it being worked into a story.
Exactly. It's his main claim to fame. If the Queen punched someone in the face for insulting her dog, they're not going to just call her a dog lady and ignore the fact that she's the fucking Queen.
I can understand it being mentioned, just not belaboured in the way the Mail have done.

Your analogy isn't quite the same thing. Everyone knows your hypothetical punching dog lady as the Queen. However, if you told Joe Public this story and said Richard Brittain was the perpetrator, and Joe Public asked "who's Richard Brittain?" and you said "you know, the winner of series 55 of Countdown back in 2006", Joe Public is probably not going to reply "Oh, him!"

The fact that he won Countdown is a curiosity, and perhaps helps distinguish him from other, innocent, people with the same name, but there's no need for the article to bang on about it like it's the most noteworthy thing about the story.
Well maybe it's not quite the same thing, but it's the most notable thing about him other than what the story's about. I don't really see the problem and why people care. If anything, calling him an author is worse because it implies he might be some sort of professional rather than just some guy who wrote a book.

Philip Wilson
Devotee
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Philip Wilson » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:
Dave Preece wrote:
What's this about Callum about please?
Callum was cheating on apterous for a few months around 2013-2014. This got found out and everyone was like:

Image
Ah right, thanks.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:00 am

Other Countdowners in the news are available.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Matt Morrison » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:07 pm

I reckon you cease to become a countdowner when you're more famous for something else. Especially something TV-based anyway.

User avatar
JimBentley
Legend
Posts: 2689
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:39 pm
Location: Redcar, UK
Contact:

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by JimBentley » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:53 pm

And he would have gotten away with it if wasn't for that pesky fact that he wrote about it in his autobiography!

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:29 pm

JimBentley wrote:And he would have gotten away with it if wasn't for that pesky fact that he wrote about it in his autobiography!
It was just freak chance that anyone actually read it.

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Graeme Cole » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:15 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:And he would have gotten away with it if wasn't for that pesky fact that he wrote about it in his autobiography!
It was just freak chance that anyone actually read it.
I wondered why he'd only been arrested now, when the autobiography came out a year ago. This is the best explanation yet.

User avatar
James Laverty
Enthusiast
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm
Location: West Bridgford

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by James Laverty » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:16 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
JimBentley wrote:And he would have gotten away with it if wasn't for that pesky fact that he wrote about it in his autobiography!
It was just freak chance that anyone actually read it.
I wondered why he'd only been arrested now, when the autobiography came out a year ago. This is the best explanation yet.
It was a "European arrest warrant" and he was arrested at Heathrow, so I think it was him going to Heathrow that caused it.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:43 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this, but I might as well use the de facto Richard Brittain thread. Does Richard Brittain have a brother? Go to this week's Question Time at about 12:56.

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4165
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Jon O'Neill » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:49 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this, but I might as well use the de facto Richard Brittain thread. Does Richard Brittain have a brother? Go to this week's Question Time at about 12:56.
This is a brilliant shout. I urge people to check it out. I would send a screencap but it's the mannerisms that are basically spot on.

He does have a brother but I don't think this is him?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:03 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this, but I might as well use the de facto Richard Brittain thread. Does Richard Brittain have a brother? Go to this week's Question Time at about 12:56.
This is a brilliant shout. I urge people to check it out. I would send a screencap but it's the mannerisms that are basically spot on.

He does have a brother but I don't think this is him?
What do you know about his brother? Have you met him?

Edit - I'm guessing Charlie has met him, so I'll "tag" him in.
Charlie Reams wrote:

User avatar
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion
Posts: 1528
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Graeme Cole » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:50 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this, but I might as well use the de facto Richard Brittain thread. Does Richard Brittain have a brother? Go to this week's Question Time at about 12:56.
This is a brilliant shout. I urge people to check it out. I would send a screencap but it's the mannerisms that are basically spot on.
Appearance: check.
Glasses: check.
Voice: check.
Question Time Guy wrote:The assumption that we are trading our membership of the single market for ability to control our borders and gaining our sovereignty is a strange one, because I think there's a strong positive case for leaving the single market, in that we are leaving a world of regulation and entering a world of markets which seem to be creating trade deals with far greater success.
Delusional fantasist: check.

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3332
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Ian Volante » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:11 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I wasn't sure where to put this, but I might as well use the de facto Richard Brittain thread. Does Richard Brittain have a brother? Go to this week's Question Time at about 12:56.
This is a brilliant shout. I urge people to check it out. I would send a screencap but it's the mannerisms that are basically spot on.
Appearance: check.
Glasses: check.
Voice: check.
Question Time Guy wrote:The assumption that we are trading our membership of the single market for ability to control our borders and gaining our sovereignty is a strange one, because I think there's a strong positive case for leaving the single market, in that we are leaving a world of regulation and entering a world of markets which seem to be creating trade deals with far greater success.
Delusional fantasist: check.
Is he out yet, or would this count as an educational trip for the purposes of extra remission?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Martin Hurst
Acolyte
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 am

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Martin Hurst » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Dan McColm in the news today........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-38687837

sean d
Acolyte
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by sean d » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:33 am

Martin Hurst wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:39 pm
Dan McColm in the news today........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-38687837
Missing from 5:30pm on Thursday until the early hours of Friday? That's a night out isn't it, rather than a missing person hunt?

User avatar
Ian Volante
Postmaster General
Posts: 3332
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Ian Volante » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:43 pm

sean d wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:33 am
Martin Hurst wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:39 pm
Dan McColm in the news today........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-38687837
Missing from 5:30pm on Thursday until the early hours of Friday? That's a night out isn't it, rather than a missing person hunt?
How random. I've been 'missing' in someone else's bed for longer than that.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:39 pm

That was you? Explains a lot. At least cuddle me next time.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:33 pm

According to Ricky Tomlinson, Richard Whitely was a 'spook '.
It's on the BBC website
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:36 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:33 pm
According to Ricky Tomlinson, Richard Whitely was a 'spook '.
It's on the BBC website
Link?

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:07 pm

I am on my phone not good with links.
However there is a website called Google which is quite useful.
Type Richard Whitely in the news section and it is the first story
I also pointed you in the direction of the BBC news website.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:02 pm

Marc Meakin wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:07 pm
I am on my phone not good with links.
However there is a website called Google which is quite useful.
Type Richard Whitely in the news section and it is the first story
I also pointed you in the direction of the BBC news website.
It wasn't high on Google when I looked or prominent on the BBC.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:41 pm

Here is a Mirror article on it anyway.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Marc Meakin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:58 am

Thanks for doing that.
I think it's a non story really, with no substantiation.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1932
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:12 am

(Personally think this warrants its own topic)

Telegraph article: https://www.facebook.com/TelegraphEnter ... 8516229908

I agree... think it's a non-story.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1932
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:26 pm

This was the lead story on two of the "red top" papers today...
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

Martin Hurst
Acolyte
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 am

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Martin Hurst » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:32 pm

A few Countdowners in the news this week:

A report on Phyl Styles, who was recently part of the Series Championship-winning Verbivores team on BBC2 quiz show Only Connect http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/north-norfo ... -1-4968435

Countdown calendar puzzle-setter and former series champions Stewart Holden has taken over quizmaster duties at a Northern Ireland pub (guessing it was a very slow news week in Lisburn!) http://www.lisburntoday.co.uk/whats-on/ ... -1-7901855

Story about Richard Brittain on the OK website http://www.ok.co.uk/celebrity-news/1040 ... ices-devil

Noel Mc
Acolyte
Posts: 116
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Noel Mc » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:07 pm

The pub quiz he is taking over is one of the best in the greater Belfast/Lisburn area. You need to turn up about an hour beforehand to have any hope of a seat. Class pub too.

Martin Hurst
Acolyte
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 am

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Martin Hurst » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Series 76 quarter finalist and former Apterite James Slater standing for the Labour Party at the Camden Council elections....... http://camdennewjournal.com/article/cou ... -mhadsteap

User avatar
James Laverty
Enthusiast
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:45 pm
Location: West Bridgford

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by James Laverty » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:52 am

I see Vorders is rehashing an old story again http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/countdown/ ... owed-back/
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....

Philip Wilson
Devotee
Posts: 541
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Philip Wilson » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 pm

Not exactly in 'the' news but on "Have I Got News For You" Mark Nyman just got a mention. It was in relation to Scrabble rather than Countdown.

Martin Hurst
Acolyte
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 am

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Martin Hurst » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:32 am

Tragic news regarding series 75 contestant James Thomson http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... icide.html

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:57 pm

Very sad news.

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Elliott Mellor » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Very sad indeed. Condolences to his family and friends.

Tom S
Devotee
Posts: 615
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Tom S » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 pm

It is an absolute tragic story. Stories like that should encourage people to just ask anyone they know, whether it be a family or a friend, it is so important to just ask people simple things like that. As someone who is suffering from anxiety and being agrophobic, I have experienced similar things, but not suicide, yet some find it incredibly hard to even confide in their parents, so if someone says they are anxious, don't dismiss it as "we all are", talk to them and offer advice, send them some websites to some great charities (No Panic is a great one I have used), that conversation could be a genuine conversation which could tell you the real way that person is feeling. RIP James.

User avatar
Tracey Anne Mills
Acolyte
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, In My House somewhere in sunny Stockport with my two cats Torti and Ginge

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Tracey Anne Mills » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:49 am

Very sad news. RIP James
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills

User avatar
Mark Deeks
Kiloposter
Posts: 1796
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:15 am

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Mark Deeks » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:36 pm

Aye, that's bad. The Venn diagram between Countdowners/Apterites and such struggles contains massive overlap, and is something we should perhaps think about.

I'll say this, though. Having until very recently worked in 16-19 welfare, as the person struggling young people would come to, I have had a lot of first-hand, face-to-face experience with the impact that it has on a child or young adult when they come to you and the first thing they want to know is "will you tell my parents?", and you say "no". It is often a huge relief for them. Often (but certainly not always) because it is the parents they want to talk about, but also because they don't really want anyone to know. There are myriad reasons why they would want this kept from parents, and while any good parent will want to know, it is often so hugely vital that they don't have the right.

It changes if you think someone is a legitimate threat unto themselves or others, but the article makes no mention of such a threat being perceived by anyone.

The story here is framed around parents wanting to know why they weren't informed, and of course they will want to know that. What news to take, especially if you didn't know anything about it beforehand. But the law has its reasons here and the beneficial side goes unreported.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:09 pm

^^ Good post.

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 520
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Elliott Mellor » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:09 pm
^^ Good post.
Seconded.

User avatar
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter
Posts: 1017
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: North-West of Bradford
Contact:

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Thomas Carey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:23 am

Elliott Mellor wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:26 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:09 pm
^^ Good post.
Seconded.
Thirded. This hits worryingly close to home for me, with the guy being in pretty much the exact life position that I'm in :( RIP James
cheers maus

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1932
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:58 pm

Thomas Carey wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:23 am
Elliott Mellor wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:26 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:09 pm
^^ Good post.
Seconded.
Thirded. This hits worryingly close to home for me, with the guy being in pretty much the exact life position that I'm in :( RIP James
Fourthed. To some extent, the fact this is a very real problem being faced - and all-too-often dismissed - by many. I believe suicide is the biggest killer of men under 40. If any of Mark's patients (for want of a better word) were on this forum, they would not want to write about their struggles on here, as it is public-facing and about 90% of us use real names. Such things are often overlooked.

On a brighter note, there are some fantastic people and charities and such out there. Sky News gave considerable airtime to this topic a year or so ago, and it really helped to raise awareness. The work of CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) in particular is exceptional.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3272
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Marc Meakin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:12 pm

Having suffered on and off for years I can say that 'outsiders' can have no way of what's going on inside your head it's like drowning in treacle when everyone else thinks you are wading in water and you don't have the gumption to let people know. In my lowest days I wanted to die but was too much of a coward to carry it out.i have told people what my triggers are so I can do my best to prevent further slides into deep depression. But it has taken me the best part of 40 years to for the most part, contain it. I'm all for DNA testing on babies if it can pinpoint those that are most likely to suffer. Because in a lot of cases it's not always triggered by obvious triggers like grief and loneliness
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8439
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Countdowners in the news

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Possibly someone with the same name, but someone called Damian Eadie gets mentioned in this BBC article.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests