Will Scramble 4 Food

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Will Scramble 4 Food

Post by Johnny Canuck »

To all members of the FOCAL Team,

Just wanted to let you know that if you're ever in need of developing large volumes of witty conundrum scrambles for CO-events (even the night before they happen), you can always contact me and I'll throw together a couple hundred that I had planned to use as chat teasers. If you need conundrum words as well as scrambles, you can give me a rough idea of the difficulty you want for them and I'll make a good list; if you already have a list of conundrums, I can also check over your lists to verify that there are none with multiple solutions. Finally, if you want themed conundrum scrambles and/or answers (e.g., all scrambles for a future .co.mk event beginning with "MK"), you can inform me of this in advance and I'll incorporate the theme.

Aptomail is the best route for getting in contact with me.

I've noticed that some of the scrambles at recent events look suspiciously random/Apterous-like; do people still care about making their own scrambles?

Cheers,
JC
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Re: Will Scramble 4 Food

Post by Zarte Siempre »

We write our own ta, but thanks for the offer!
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I could have sworn I saw one event where pretty much all of the scrambles were dictionary words with 1 or 2 letters changed (e.g., RESIDEXCE => EXERCISED; DNESCENDO => CONDENSED), which is how Apterous' shuffler generates them. But that might be co:incidence; they could have been written by someone. No problem.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Next time you're over here, come to an event!
cheers maus
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Thomas Carey wrote:Next time you're over here, come to an event!
I think that's the plan. He was hoping to get all the conundrums.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Johnny Canuck wrote:which is how Apterous' shuffler generates them
Sometimes!
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:which is how Apterous' shuffler generates them
Sometimes!
It's been revamped, then.
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

I might take you up on that offer for Co.Dublin!
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Edward Byrne wrote:I might take you up on that offer for Co.Dublin!
Fantastic! You'll only need 7 conundrums for that in total, correct?
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

After a bit of research, it appears this may have been the tourney I was talking about with the vaguely Apter-ish scrambles. That was a while ago though.

P.S.: Props to whoever created the scrambles for .co.mk containing the names of various players. That was cute.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Johnny Canuck wrote:After a bit of research, it appears this may have been the tourney I was talking about with the vaguely Apter-ish scrambles. That was a while ago though.
Deliberately- that's always (or at least for the past few years) how I've done conundrums for COLIN/CoNot.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Johnny Canuck wrote:After a bit of research, it appears this may have been the tourney I was talking about with the vaguely Apter-ish scrambles. That was a while ago though.
Deliberately- that's always (or at least for the past few years) how I've done conundrums for COLIN/CoNot.
Come to think of it, this is a good idea on some level because it helps avoid the appearance of well-known falseagrams. For a lot of conundrum answers like REMBETIKA, if KIAMETERB (DIAMETERS + 2 letter changes) is used it's going to be deservedly challenging, but if BREAKTIME is used it may be artificially easy for people who already know that BREAKTIME has an anagram. Definitely not trying to knock your tourney-organisation skills in any way.