How many UK cities have you been to?

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

How many UK cities have you been to?

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

List them and tally them out of 68. Here is a list:

England: Bath, Birmingham, Bradford, Brighton, Bristol, Cambridge, Canterbury, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Chester, Chichester, Coventry, Derby, Durham, Ely, Exeter, Gloucester, Hereford, Hull, Lancaster, Leeds, Leicester, Lichfield, Lincoln, Liverpool, London*, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Preston, Ripon, Salford, Salisbury, Sheffield, Southampton, St Albans, Stoke-on-Trent, Sunderland, Truro, Wakefield, Wells, Winchester, Wolverhampton, Worcester, York (50)

Scotland: Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth, Stirling (7)

Wales: Bangor, Cardiff, Newport, St Asaph, St Davids, Swansea (6)

NI: Armagh, Belfast, Derry, Lisburn, Newry (5)

I'm on 26 - Bath, Brighton, Bristol, Canterbury, Chester, Coventry, Exeter, Leeds, Lincoln, London, Manchester, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Plymouth, Salford, Salisbury (I think), Southampton, St Albans, Truro, Wakefield, Winchester, York (23/50 in England), and then Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast from the others. About half of these visits are directly or indirectly related to Countdown. If I had money and a car I'd like to spend a few weeks doing a road trip around the UK and visiting every city for at least 2 hours.

[*Technically London has 2 cities, City of London and City of Westminster, but who can be fucked to arse around with that.]
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: How many UK cities have you been to?

Post by James Robinson »

I've visited Birmingham, Bradford, Bristol, Carlisle, Chester, Derby, Hull, Leeds, Leicester, Lincoln, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich, Nottingham, Peterborough, Preston, Salford, Sheffield, St Albans, Stoke-on-Trent, Wakefield, Wolverhampton, York, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff, St Davids.

That makes 29, which will go up to 30, when I go to Brighton next Saturday. ;) :) :D
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

20/68.

England: Bath, Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Coventry, Exeter, Leicester, London, Manchester, Nottingham, Oxford, Portsmouth, Salford, Southampton, St Albans, York.

Scotland: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Stirling.

It's possible I've been to Truro. Loads of my childhood holidays were in Cornwall so it's likely I went there at some point but don't remember any details. I've also travelled through Plymouth, Stoke-on-Trent and Wolverhampton, but I don't think I ever got out of a vehicle at any of them.

And although I've attended COLIN every year since 2012, I've never bothered to go to Lincoln.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

England: Birmingham, Bradford, Chester, Lancaster, Leeds, Leicester, Lincoln, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Nottingham, Preston, Salford, Southampton, St Albans, York (16)

Scotland: Edinburgh

There are a few more that I may have been to (Coventry, Derby, Hull, Sheffield and Wolverhampton) but can't say with any certainty. I'm not sure if passing through them on a train counts.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

England: Birmingham, Brighton, Bristol, Cambridge, Canterbury, Carlisle, Chelmsford, Chester, Coventry, Durham, Ely, Exeter, Hereford, Leeds, Leicester, Lincoln, Liverpool, London*, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Preston, Ripon, Salford, Sheffield, Southampton, St Albans, Winchester, Wolverhampton, York

Scotland: Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Stirling

Wales: Cardiff, Newport, Swansea

I may have been to one or two others.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

That's really hard. I'll go through it properly later but I might have been to several and not remembered. Probably even harder would be counties.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Jack Worsley wrote:There are a few more that I may have been to (Coventry, Derby, Hull, Sheffield and Wolverhampton) but can't say with any certainty. I'm not sure if passing through them on a train counts.
No, definitely not. I'm also inclined to not include train station changes here either (I didn't include Peterborough in my list) because whereas foreign airports/service stations etc do give you a little bit of insight into their respective countries, I don't believe that the vast majority of train stations give any insight into their cities.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:I'm also inclined to not include train station changes here either (I didn't include Peterborough in my list) because whereas foreign airports/service stations etc do give you a little bit of insight into their respective countries, I don't believe that the vast majority of train stations give any insight into their cities.
Why would an airport or service station be any better at representing its city than a train station?

Edit: oh, I see, the difference is between country and city. So what if you changed planes in a UK city?
Last edited by Graeme Cole on Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

England: Bath, Birmingham, Bradford, Brighton, Bristol, Cambridge, Canterbury, Carlisle, Coventry, Durham, Exeter, Leeds, Lincoln, London, Manchester, Oxford, Portsmouth, Salford, Salisbury, Sheffield, Southampton, St Albans, Wakefield, Winchester, Worcester, York (26)

Scotland: Aberdeen, Stirling (2)

Probably others that I was too young to remember.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Gavin Chipper wrote:That's really hard. I'll go through it properly later but I might have been to several and not remembered. Probably even harder would be counties.
Yeah, I'm a militant logger of travels but I'd struggle with counties - erm...

Kent, Surrey, East Sussex, West Sussex, Hampshire, Dover, Dorset, Somerset, Cornwall, Bristol, Essex ( :| ), Suffolk, Norwich, Oxfordshire, Greater London, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Hertfordshire, Northamptonshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire, Nottinghamshire, Cheshire, Shropshire, Warwickshire, Greater Manchester, Bedfordshire. Think that's it.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Graeme Cole wrote:
Jennifer Steadman wrote:I'm also inclined to not include train station changes here either (I didn't include Peterborough in my list) because whereas foreign airports/service stations etc do give you a little bit of insight into their respective countries, I don't believe that the vast majority of train stations give any insight into their cities.
Why would an airport or service station be any better at representing its city than a train station?

Edit: oh, I see, the difference is between country and city. So what if you changed planes in a UK city?
That would count. Although I would be a bit stroppy about someone trying to pretend Luton and Stansted airports count as London (Heathrow and City definitely count. Gatwick doesn't really count but I think it's the second biggest airport so I'd let it slide).
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:

That would count. Although I would be a bit stroppy about someone trying to pretend Luton and Stansted airports count as London (Heathrow and City definitely count. Gatwick doesn't really count but I think it's the second biggest airport so I'd let it slide).
Someone will have changed planes at London Oxford Airport and use that to tick two cities off the list.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Graeme Cole wrote:Someone will have changed planes at London Oxford Airport and use that to tick two cities off the list.
LONDON OXFORD AIRPORT IS A THING??? FUCK'S SAKE. I forgot to add that this abomination is DEFINITELY not a London airport either.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Do cities have properly defined borders? Presumably they do, but will people be aware of them? It won't be as clear to people as would countries. Also, I don't think the name of an airport is of any relevance, any more than if there was a shop that called itself the London shop and was nowhere near London. It's where you are - not what the establishment you're in calls itself.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

England: Bath, Birmingham, Bradford, Cambridge, Carlisle*, Chester, Chichester, Coventry, Derby, Durham, Hull, Leeds, Leicester, Lincoln, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Oxford, Peterborough, Ripon, Salford, Salisbury, Sheffield, St Albans, Stoke-on-Trent, Wakefield, Winchester, Wolverhampton, York

Scotland: Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth, Stirling

Wales: Bangor

NI: Belfast

*My visit of Carlisle consisted of a trip to the Tony Carvery while on the way to Glasgow, along with a very brief walk. I'll let Jen decide if this counts.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Birmingham, Bradford, Brighton, Bristol, Chester, Coventry, Derby, Durham, Ely, Hull, Leeds, Leicester, Lincoln, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Peterborough, Salford, Sheffield, Stoke-on-Trent, Sunderland, York, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff, St Davids, Belfast. That's a neat 30, and makes me feel a tiny bit better about having sod all to contribute to the 'countries' thread other than 'UK and jack shit else'.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

James Laverty wrote:*My visit of Carlisle consisted of a trip to the Tony Carvery while on the way to Glasgow, along with a very brief walk. I'll let Jen decide if this counts.
Absolutely fine. My visit to St Albans consisted of walking a few hundred metres out of the station, into the CoStAl venue, getting quite inebriated for a few hours, and then leaving to go and see Queen TayTay in London.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

I can stretch to 57. All except Bradford, Durham, Ely, Hull, Peterborough, Ripon, Sunderland, Bangor, St Asaph, Armagh and Lisburn. I've probably given more priority to exploring these islands as compared to the rest of the world than most do, so it may not be entirely and age thing. Quite a few have been picked up whilst cycle touring and I should get a few more like that this year.
Jennifer Steadman wrote:If I had money and a car I'd like to spend a few weeks doing a road trip around the UK and visiting every city for at least 2 hours.
That sounds excellent. If I had that as an objective I'd probably want to get a photograph beside one of the notable landmarks in each city, which would mean starting again.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Birmingham, Bristol, Cambridge, Coventry, Durham, Hereford, Leeds, Leicester, Lincoln, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Oxford, Salford, St Albans, Edinburgh, Belfast, Derry. Never even been to Liverpool or Sheffield. Or gone south of London.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I think only 20. Can't imagine it's particularly interesting to anyone to list them, so I won't.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Had to think about this a bit but I think this is right:

England: Bath, Birmingham, Bradford, Bristol, Cambridge, Chelmsford, Chester, Durham, Hull, Leeds, Lincoln, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Ripon, Salford, Sheffield, Southampton, Sunderland, Wells, York

Scotland: Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth, Stirling.

I've been to Wales a few times but never near any of the cities and have never been to Northern Ireland, so in total 30, which is a bit rubbish really.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

England: Birmingham, Bradford, Carlisle, Derby, Durham, Hull, Lancaster, Leeds, Leicester, Lincoln, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Nottingham, Preston, Ripon, Salford, Sheffield, Wakefield, York (21)

Scotland: Edinburgh, Glasgow (2)
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

England: 35/50
Scotland: 7/7
Wales: 2/6
NI: 0/5

Total: 44/68
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

From what I can remember: Bristol, Chester, Hull, Lancaster, Lincoln, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Nottingham, Preston, Salford and Stoke-on-Trent (13)
Sfumato soup
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

England: Bath, Birmingham, Brightpn, Bristol, Cambridge, Canterbury, Chichester, Coventry, Derby, Exeter, Hull, Leeds, London, Manchester, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Southampton, Truro, Winchester, York (23)

Scotland: Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow (3)

Wales: Bangor, Cardiff, Newport, Swansea (4)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Matt Morrison wrote:I think only 20. Can't imagine it's particularly interesting to anyone to list them, so I won't.
That's a shame as I was going to aggregate them and do statistics and shit.

Here's mine:

England: Bath, Brighton, Bristol, Cambridge, Canterbury, Chelmsford, Ely, Leeds, Leicester, Lincoln, Liverpool, London*, Manchester, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Peterborough, Salford, St Albans, Winchester, York (21)
Wales: (0)
NI: (0)
= 23
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Hykeham doesn't count as Lincoln, right?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Jon Corby wrote:Hykeham doesn't count as Lincoln, right?
Right.
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

England: Birmingham, Bradford, Chester, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Salford, Sheffield (9/50)
Scotland: Edinburgh (1/7)
Wales: Bangor, Cardiff, Swansea (3/6)
NI: Armagh, Belfast, Derry, Lisburn, Newry (5/5), though obviously the elevation of Newry and Lisburn to city status was hilarious and ridiculous.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I think only 20. Can't imagine it's particularly interesting to anyone to list them, so I won't.
That's a shame as I was going to aggregate them and do statistics and shit.

Here's mine:

England: Bath, Brighton, Bristol, Cambridge, Canterbury, Chelmsford, Ely, Leeds, Leicester, Lincoln, Liverpool, London*, Manchester, Norwich, Nottingham, Oxford, Peterborough, Salford, St Albans, Winchester, York (21)
Wales: (0)
NI: (0)
= 23
Just in case you were wondering (I doubt you were) your list is boring as shit too.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Must be strong correlation between those who live in the north having visited a majority of northern cities and those in the south visiting very southern cities.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

England: Birmingham, Bradford, Bristol, Cambridge, Carlisle, Chester, Coventry, Durham, Exeter, Hull, Lancaster, Leeds, Liverpool, London, Manchester, Newcastle, Norwich, Nottingham, Peterborough, Preston, Salford, Sheffield, Southampton, Sunderland, Truro, Wakefield, York.
Scotland: Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Perth, Stirling
Wales: Cardiff.
NI: Belfast, Newry.

meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Just London.

Just one building.

I'll leave you one guess as to which.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Johnny Canuck wrote:Just London.

Just one building.

Heathrow Terminal 5?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Just one building.

Ali's Chicken Shack on Tottenham Court Road?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Ian Volante wrote:

Just one building.

Ali's Chicken Shack on Tottenham Court Road?
Ding-ding-ding. We have a winner. Still trying to pay off the debt from those two private helicopter rides, but those wings were AMAZING.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Heather notches 41 cities, 37 of them English.

+ haha Clive you changed your avatar! Excellent.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Chipping in a bit late here (and if I've counted correctly):

England: 15 (17 if you include having changed trains there; 16 if you include those that later became cities; 18 if you include both)
Wales: 0
Scotland: 1
Northern Ireland: 0
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I have been to the smallest city and smallest towns in the UK.
Would like to go the largest village though....not sure where that is though
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

Which is smallest City/Town???

And Tickenham near where I live isn't big, but very looooooooooong!
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Smallest city is St Davids in Wales.
Smallest town is Fordwich in Kent
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

I came on here looking to see if Countdown in Nottingham was still a thing, having discovered it is one of about 3 places you can get to from nutty Norfolk.
I have been to 58 of these cities - as with Clive, the UK is our usual destination.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Twenty nine
All the Welsh ones but none of the northern Irish ones
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Countdown in Nottingham is never a definite 'no' for the next year, just a 'very unlikely unless someone else wants to pick up the baton'.

Also I'm up to 31 now thanks to CoCam earlier in the year. :-D