Mondegreens

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: Mondegreens

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:Just had SOAD's Darts pop up on shuffle and it reminded me how I thought for quite a while it said "Life threatening lifestyles: a hitman, a nun, florist."
Well, that's 37 seconds of my life I'll never get back.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Just had SOAD's Darts pop up on shuffle and it reminded me how I thought for quite a while it said "Life threatening lifestyles: a hitman, a nun, florist."
Well, that's 37 seconds of my life I'll never get back.
It's 2:41.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Well, that's 37 seconds of my life I'll never get back.
It's 2:41.
I'm not sure how I managed to put up with 37 seconds of it.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ha, love it!

Phil, that's not the most accessible of their albums, I recommend Toxicity :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

All my life (well, since the song came out) I thought Taio Cruz was singing 'I throw my hands up in the air sometimes, saying aaaoo, Galileo' instead of 'Gotta let go'. I always thought that was the real lyric and never considered it being anything else... oh well. :oops:
cheers maus
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

In (ahem) Carly Rae Jepsen's classic hit "Call Me Maybe", I swear she sings "I missed your school bag, I missed your school, school bag." Something to do with satchels, I expect.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Green Day's Burnout came on my ipod the other day and I was reminded how I used to think the lyric "I live inside this mental cave " was "I live inside this pencil case", even though the first time I heard the song was when I bought the album and therefore had the lyric sheet. I love that we get lyrics wrong even when we know what the real ones are. It also kind of made me think living in a pencil case would be cool.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Mark James wrote:Green Day's Burnout came on my ipod the other day and I was reminded how I used to think the lyric "I live inside this mental cave " was "I live inside this pencil case", even though the first time I heard the song was when I bought the album and therefore had the lyric sheet. I love that we get lyrics wrong even when we know what the real ones are. It also kind of made me think living in a pencil case would be cool.
I too used to think this.

As an infant, I thought Wonderwall's chorus was "Because maybe, you're gonna be the one at Sainsbury's".
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

In 'Warwick Avenue' by Duffy, I used to think she sang "Promise me you won't stand by the line", so he woudn't be tempted to jump when she told him the bad news.

I watched her video recently with subtitles on a programme about London tunes, and found she really sings "Promise me you won't step out of line". Oops.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Peter McNamara

Post by Peter McNamara »

Peter Kay's "The Tour That Didn't Tour" (shown last night on C4) includes a Mondegreen set. On 4OD it runs for seven minutes from 1.13 to 1.20.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Peter McNamara wrote:Peter Kay's "The Tour That Didn't Tour" (shown last night on C4) includes a Mondegreen set. On 4OD it runs for seven minutes from 1.13 to 1.20.
Aye, there were some great ones there!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

Boney M, Brown Girl in the Ring: "All the world had fruit cake" ("All had water run dry")
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

FGTH - Welcome To The Pleasuredome:

There goes a supernova, right up her shoulder

Actually, it's:

There goes a supernova, what a pushover.

I always thought it sounded odd. It's only taken me 28 years to sort that one out.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Salt N Pepa - Whatta Man

"Whatta man, whatta man, whatta man, whatta honeycomb man."
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Literally only yesterday worked out that Shaggy must have been getting all patois and saying "Mr. Romantic, say mi fantastic" whereas I always thought he was only "semi-fantastic".
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Peter Kay Funny Song Lyrics off You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cylsLhQaPFw
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Matt Morrison wrote:Literally only yesterday worked out that Shaggy must have been getting all patois and saying "Mr. Romantic, say mi fantastic" whereas I always thought he was only "semi-fantastic".
...I still hadn't realised that :(

My favourite one (that wasn't mine) was someone who thought the opening line of Reward by The Teardrop Explodes was, rather than "Bless my cotton socks, I'm in the news"; "Pass my cotton socks, I'm in the nude"

2 of the ones I've been responsible for:

"Here comes the rain again, falling on my head like a lemon tree" ((It made sense in my head))

and a more obscure reference to 1-hit wonder from the 90's Meredith Brooks (but an album track cause my Mum had it)

"I might crap, but I'll never splatter"

In other news, this might be my favourite thread on the entire website.
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

From R Kelly's Ignition (Remix), I interpreted "running my hands through her 'fro" as "running my hands through her throat" which is altogether more sinister.
Andy McGurn
Enthusiast

Post by Andy McGurn »

From Guns n' Roses Sweet Child of Mine.

I always thought the second verse started "shes got eyes like the bluest sky and fruitcake for a brain"
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Until about a year ago, I thought the chorus of Taio Cruz's Dynamite was 'saying ayooo, Galileo'.
cheers maus
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Thomas Carey wrote:All my life (well, since the song came out) I thought Taio Cruz was singing 'I throw my hands up in the air sometimes, saying aaaoo, Galileo' instead of 'Gotta let go'. I always thought that was the real lyric and never considered it being anything else... oh well. :oops:
Thomas Carey wrote:Until about a year ago, I thought the chorus of Taio Cruz's Dynamite was 'saying ayooo, Galileo'.
Well it's been at least 18 months...
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Thomas Carey wrote:All my life (well, since the song came out) I thought Taio Cruz was singing 'I throw my hands up in the air sometimes, saying aaaoo, Galileo' instead of 'Gotta let go'. I always thought that was the real lyric and never considered it being anything else... oh well. :oops:
Thomas Carey wrote:Until about a year ago, I thought the chorus of Taio Cruz's Dynamite was 'saying ayooo, Galileo'.
Well it's been at least 18 months...
Oops... :oops:
cheers maus
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Flash Delirium, by MGMT. I was wondering why they put what sounded like a cheat code for a computer game in this song: "six six five five left right shift".

On investigation, it turns out it's "six six five five red battleships".

Not sure that makes any more sense, though.
sean d
Acolyte

Post by sean d »

After 25 odd years I've just discovered that Paul Simon is actually calling someone Betty, not Daddy, in You Can Call Me Al. Mind=blown.
"I can call you Betty
And Betty when you call me
You can call me Al"
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

sean d wrote:After 25 odd years I've just discovered that Paul Simon is actually calling someone Betty, not Daddy, in You Can Call Me Al. Mind=blown.
"I can call you Betty
And Betty when you call me
You can call me Al"
Ha! Me too, just now...
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Chips Ahoy, by The Hold Steady. Instead of "it came in six lengths ahead", hearing "I came with six wanks I had". Don't like the song as much any more.
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

In Dead or Alive's 'You Spin me Round', instead of hearing 'All I know is that to me', I kept hearing 'You look like a vasectomy'. I don't know why either.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Only realised fairly recently that the line in Beyonce's seminal smash hit 'Crazy In Love' I had always heard as "I've been wetting myself/Baby I don't care" is actually "I've been playing myself/Baby I don't care". Bit disappointed as I was impressed by not only her honesty about her incontinence issues, but her blasé attitude towards it. Thought it was pretty edgy. (Genuinely did think those were the lyrics tho :( )
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gravel Pit: "Wu-Tang is a city with a Travel Inn".
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jon Corby wrote:Gravel Pit: "Wu-Tang is a city with a Travel Inn".
Actual lyrics: "Lincoln is a city with a Travel Lodge." I'm not surprised you didn't get it first time.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Didn't realise you were into Wu Tang to be honest.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Mark Deeks wrote:Didn't realise you were into Wu Tang to be honest.
Nigger please.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Melody's Echo Chamber: I've seen goats I can't explain.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Recently-ish, I watched the lyric video for The 1975 - Girls

What SHOULD be "Bite your face to spite your nose"

Was committed to YT as "I like your face despite your nose"
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Many years ago, I heard this song, and assumed the lyrics were "2, 4, 6, 8, never too late" or something like that. (Yes - I know - shush you - let me finish.) Some time more recently someone mentioned the song and called it 2-4-6-8 Motorway, so I then thought I must have heard it wrong. I even remember thinking "I could have sworn it was 'never too late', but oh well."

Even more recently than that I thought to post about it in this thread, thinking that mishearing lyrics which are actually included in the title must qualify as some kind of super-mondegreen and beat all the others. However, remembering it and being in front of my computer never coincided until now. It only remained for me to check what the actual lyrics were, and then it turned out that I was right the first time, and "2-4-6-8 Motorway" never appears in the song.

What is this? A reverse mondegreen? A meta-mondegreen?
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

A mondegreem?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Graeme Cole wrote:Many years ago, I heard this song, and assumed the lyrics were "2, 4, 6, 8, never too late" or something like that. (Yes - I know - shush you - let me finish.) Some time more recently someone mentioned the song and called it 2-4-6-8 Motorway, so I then thought I must have heard it wrong. I even remember thinking "I could have sworn it was 'never too late', but oh well."

Even more recently than that I thought to post about it in this thread, thinking that mishearing lyrics which are actually included in the title must qualify as some kind of super-mondegreen and beat all the others. However, remembering it and being in front of my computer never coincided until now. It only remained for me to check what the actual lyrics were, and then it turned out that I was right the first time, and "2-4-6-8 Motorway" never appears in the song.

What is this? A reverse mondegreen? A meta-mondegreen?
Ah, thanks for that. I had the same problem - at some point I "realised" that I had it wrong, but using the word "motorway" never quite fit properly. lulz
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Heather Styles wrote:A mondegreem?
:)
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

"Bob the Builder, Tanmay Dixit?"

Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I'm not sure whether it counts if you're pretty sure you're hearing it wrong and can hazard a guess.

But I only thought to confirm today that the lyrics to Pretenders - Middle of the Road don't include the line

"I'm standing in the middle of life with my pants behind me"
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Two from other people I've discovered today.

Someone thought Elton John was singing "Hold me closer Tony Danza" - Plausible.

And that Macy Gray was singing "I blow bubbles when you are not near" - Less plausible.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Zarte Siempre wrote:Someone thought Elton John was singing "Hold me closer Tony Danza" - Plausible.
That's got to be the best-known one after "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" - it's even been in an episode of 'Friends' (or some similarly bland sitcom of the era). While we're on Elton though, I thought for quite a while that in "Island Girl", he was singing "I Like Girls", which I found highly entertaining for obvious reasons.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

JimBentley wrote:
Zarte Siempre wrote:Someone thought Elton John was singing "Hold me closer Tony Danza" - Plausible.
That's got to be the best-known one after "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" - it's even been in an episode of 'Friends' (or some similarly bland sitcom of the era).
Genuinely didn't know that. Was the first time I'd heard it. (And I don't watch Friends)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
My favourite one (that wasn't mine) was someone who thought the opening line of Reward by The Teardrop Explodes was, rather than "Bless my cotton socks, I'm in the news"; "Pass my cotton socks, I'm in the nude"

In other news, this might be my favourite thread on the entire website.
Oh shit! I missed this first time, I never had more than a vague inkling that I had that line wrong!

And thanks :D
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
That's got to be the best-known one after "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" - it's even been in an episode of 'Friends' (or some similarly bland sitcom of the era). While we're on Elton though, I thought for quite a while that in "Island Girl", he was singing "I Like Girls", which I found highly entertaining for obvious reasons.
Never heard the Tony Danza one, but I certainly had the 'I like girls' thing going on for a while.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Two that spring to mind...... Don't bring me down......Bruce . ELO and pulling muscles for Michelle......by Squeeze
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Marc Meakin wrote:... Don't bring me down......Bruce . ELO
I've always thought it was this (up until a couple of minutes ago when I read Marc's post) even though it didn't really make any sense. I've just looked up what it actually is and I think I'm sticking with "Bruce" because the real lyric makes even less sense.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

When they sung it at Glastonbury I could see the backing singers saying Bruce.....but it was Groos originally
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I've been singing Bruce for years... what the hell is Groos?
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

There is a sort of explanation on the songs Wiki page that explains the live version version confusion also
JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith »

In Everything in its Right Place (the best song ever) I thought he was singing 'Yesterday I woke up sucking on my mum' instead of a lemon. Changed the song a bit for me when I found that out.
Another line in that song, I thought was "There are arctic colours in my head". I like my version better.

When I was about 6 I thought "Georgia's always on my mind" in Back in the USSR was "Jojo's always on my mind", and it was the same Jojo as in Get Back, and that it was maybe a real person. I thought he was like, married to Jojo or something, and the line meant that he missed her when he was away in Russia.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Only just got around to "in the pines" instead of "in the palace" from Where Did You Sleep Last Night? after doing it on karaoke.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

What do you call it when you know what the actual words are but STILL can't escape that it sounds like something else entirely...

What is it you lot think they're saying is about to explode?

https://youtu.be/gh-pGxZBQ1Y?t=48s
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Zarte Siempre wrote:What do you call it when you know what the actual words are but STILL can't escape that it sounds like something else entirely...

Without having heard this before or read the lyrics, it sounds to me like "the speaker".

Perhaps it's a song about Parliamentary business having been unusually difficult recently.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

The Sue Lawley/So Lonely lyric always gets me
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Zarte Siempre wrote:What do you call it when you know what the actual words are but STILL can't escape that it sounds like something else entirely...

Without having heard this before or read the lyrics, it sounds to me like "the speaker".

Perhaps it's a song about Parliamentary business having been unusually difficult recently.
OK, well you got the right lyric... am I the only person who thinks it sounds like sphincter?!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

All I'm hearing is that you shouldn't buy any components of your sound system from Argos.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Just realised that I had Def Leppard's Pour Some Sugar On Me wrong all these years.

I thought it was:

'I'm hot, can't sleep,
from my head, to my feet'.

That never sat right with me, but I never thought about it hard enough to correct it from 'can't sleep' to 'sticky sweet'.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Zarte Siempre wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:

OK, well you got the right lyric... am I the only person who thinks it sounds like sphincter?!
I also heard "speaker", can't speak on behalf of All Other People though.

Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

I CANT BELIEVE YOU KISS YOUR C**K AT NIGHT
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die