BBC4........9-00 pm Tonight........ KATE BUSH

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Steven M. McCann
Devotee

BBC4........9-00 pm Tonight........ KATE BUSH

Post by Steven M. McCann »

Some small consolation, for those not lucky enough to get tickets to see her in concert, over the next few weeks.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: BBC4........9-00 pm Tonight........ KATE BUSH

Post by Jon Corby »

Cheers Steven, would have missed this otherwise. I didn't really even bother trying to get tickets, too pricey and no real indication of the standard of show you would see. She might be terrible these days!
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

I thought the documentary was a little disappointing (too many "talking heads" Jo Brand included, not enough Kate) the "Kate Bush at the BBC" show was far better, with lots of rarely seen clips from the BBC archives.
Both programmes can be seen again on Sunday Aug 24th, starting at midnight.
Selling out 22 concerts in 15 minutes, (when you haven't toured for 36 years) I doubt if any of today's Artists could do that, although to be fair, I think Abba could.
Jon, even a "terrible" Kate Bush would be better than a lot of today's dross.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Steven M. McCann wrote:I thought the documentary was a little disappointing (too many "talking heads" Jo Brand included, not enough Kate) the "Kate Bush at the BBC" show was far better, with lots of rarely seen clips from the BBC archives.
Both programmes can be seen again on Sunday Aug 24th, starting at midnight.
Selling out 22 concerts in 15 minutes, (when you haven't toured for 36 years) I doubt if any of today's Artists could do that, although to be fair, I think Abba could.
Jon, even a "terrible" Kate Bush would be better than a lot of today's dross.
Ah, missed it, must remember to watch tomorrow. I love Kate Bush. I must admit I've not got her most recent stuff but for a while when I was 16 or 17 I played pretty much only Kate Bush albums - well, the five from 'The Kick Inside' to 'Hounds Of Love', that's all she'd released up until then - and so am frightening familiar with some of her songs. Looking forward to these.

Do you know if there are plans to film any of the concerts, Steven?
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Jim, there's bound to be a permanent record of the concerts, especially as there's no guarantee she will ever do anything like this again!
It could be that they film one of the concerts towards the end of the run, when everything's running smoothly and any early issues have been sorted out.
Or then again, they might film over 4or5 nights and splice together the best bits.
Who knows, if the concerts are going well, maybe the BBC might be able to persuade her, to let them show one of the concerts live!(We live in hope!)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Cheers Steven, would have missed this otherwise. I didn't really even bother trying to get tickets, too pricey and no real indication of the standard of show you would see. She might be terrible these days!
How much were the too pricey tickets? I don't think anyone in this thread is easily shocked, so you can safely say.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Cheers Steven, would have missed this otherwise. I didn't really even bother trying to get tickets, too pricey and no real indication of the standard of show you would see. She might be terrible these days!
How much were the too pricey tickets? I don't think anyone in this thread is easily shocked, so you can safely say.
I don't recall exactly, but I think the cheapest ones were about £8 billion each. But it was the transaction/booking fees totalling just over a tenner that really put me off.

The point was that I had a real concern she might be bad. And, IMO, her music is of the type where if it's not spot on, it will be terrible. I've never heard anybody do a half-decent cover of any Kate Bush song singing it in her style - it just doesn't work. Plus I took a similar punt on the last Michael Jackson tour, and look what happened there.

And the fact that "even a "terrible" Kate Bush would be better than a lot of today's dross" is neither here nor there really, as it's not a direct choice between the two, I can just keep my money.
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Like Jim, I had a couple of years when I didn't listen to anyone else much. I used to listen to 'The Dreaming', 'Hounds of Love' and 'The Sensual World' on rotation. I was prepared to take a risk on her being in good shape vocally so was very disappointed not to get tickets.

Posters on the Homeground forum, where all the hardline KB fans hang out, mentioned last week that tickets were popping up intermittently on the Eventim tickets website. I managed to get one yesterday lunchtime for last night's show. It was a great seat (dead centre of the circle front row) but was very expensive (£135) and the add-ons were, as Jon mentions, pretty ridiculous. There was a £10.50 booking fee and on top of that a £2.50 venue collection charge! I gambled that nothing bad would happen between lunch time and dinner time and so didn't pay £5 for ticket insurance.

Still, worth every penny. She sang beautifully and her band was fantastic. The show had its longeurs and one or two cringeworthy moments but it was packed with stunning coups de théâtre and it was clearly put together with a massive amount of care and love. The programme is gorgeous too.
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Like Jim, I had a couple of years when I didn't listen to anyone else much. I used to listen to 'The Dreaming', 'Hounds of Love' and 'The Sensual World' on rotation. I was prepared to take a risk on her being in good shape vocally so was very disappointed not to get tickets.

Posters on the Homeground forum, where all the hardline KB fans hang out, mentioned last week that tickets were popping up intermittently on the Eventim tickets website. I managed to get one yesterday lunch time for last night's show. It was a great seat (dead centre of the circle front row) but was very expensive (£135) and the add-ons were, as Jon mentions, pretty ridiculous. There was a £10.50 booking fee and on top of that a £2.50 venue collection charge! I gambled that nothing bad would happen between lunch time and dinner time and so didn't pay £5 for ticket insurance.

Still, worth every penny. She sang beautifully and her band was fantastic. The show had its longeurs and one or two cringeworthy moments but it was packed with stunning coups de théâtre and it was clearly put together with a massive amount of care and love. The programme is gorgeous too.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Rats.

Oh well, I'm glad there were comfortable chairs to sit on anyway.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Steven M. McCann
Devotee

Tonight 12-30 am BBC4..... Top Of The Pops from 1979.
Featuring Kate looking particularly fetching in a purple split skirt!
This footage was NOT featured in the recent documentaries.
Steven M. McCann
Devotee

For anyone who missed them first time around or maybe wants to see them again, The Kate Bush Story & Kate Bush at the BBC, are being shown again tonight on BBC 4 starting at 10-50pm.