Spoilers For Monday April 14th 2014

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Monday April 14th 2014

Post by James Robinson »

So, it's another full week of Countdown, and today we might be in for a cracker of a contest :!: :!: 8-) 8-)

The returning champion is our very own Mark Murray, who with 2 centuries under his belt already is definitely setting his sights high up the leaderboard, you'd have to say, but he'd better watch out for his Apterite challenger today.

He happens to be Ciaran McCarthy, who happens to be making Countdown history today, by becoming the show's very first deaf contestant, so well done to him before we even start. 8-)

Michael Whitehall makes his final appearance in DC today, before BBC Breakfast presenter Louise Minchin carries on for the remainder of the week in her début stint.

Andy will be recapping later on. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

P.S. Don't forget to watch our own Heather Styles, who will be on Fifteen To One at 4:30 today. 8-) 8-) 8-)

So, it's a good day to be an Apterite it seems. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek:
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Re: Spoilers For Monday April 14th 2014

Post by Zarte Siempre »

GRIEVOUS R1
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

VIRGULES alternative beater
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

VIRGULES alternative beater
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

BOURNES round 2 beater
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

BORANES in R2
Sfumato soup
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Cracking solve from Rachel - was there an easier way?
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Zarte Siempre wrote:Cracking solve from Rachel - was there an easier way?
Dylan got this on chat

(50+((100/25)*2))*(7+4)
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Looking forward to lots more 3L action here! Hopefully the standard method will work on some of the rest...
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Tony Atkins wrote:Looking forward to lots more 3L action here! Hopefully the standard method will work on some of the rest...
For those who don't like the standard method there were 87x10 solutions for the second numbers.

Mark said he would pick tactically - but that 4L was a bit too easy.
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

I think Mark chickened it there (fireless/lifeless round).
CO-MSO every August
Bradley Cates
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Cates »

Tremendous game. Ciaran was really unlucky. In another game, he would have won. There is absolutely no shame in losing if you score a century!
Sfumato soup
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Ignoring champions' series that equals the third highest losing score. Well done to both for the cracking game that
has been long awaited.
CO-MSO every August
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

What an amazing game, well done to both of you. Such hard luck to be as capable as Ciaran and not to win a game - that should not be a losing score, really tough, but played in such a good spirit by two great guys.
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Great game, Ciaran was fantastic and very unlucky not to win. Mark's really proving his ability here by winning games against very tough competition.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Excellent double ton game, lads. :) Hopefully Ciaran will be given another chance in another series.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Great game! It really could have gone either way so very unlucky to Ciaran for coming up against Mark but you played very well. Well done Mark for holding your nerve and you both contributed to a fantastic spectacle. Hope you go on to be an octochamp now, Mark.

GRIEVOUS in round 1.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tony Atkins wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:Looking forward to lots more 3L action here! Hopefully the standard method will work on some of the rest...
For those who don't like the standard method there were 87x10 solutions for the second numbers.

Mark said he would pick tactically - but that 4L was a bit too easy.
So, about the standard method. What exactly is it?
Martin Thompson
Acolyte

Post by Martin Thompson »

Cracking match! Shame there had to be loser. I think Mark has the potential to win the series.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

SUPER IMPRESSIVE MATCH :!: :!: ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Brilliant play by both contestants, and it's a shame that these 2 won't both return for the finals, as a repeat of this would be a game worth watching. 8-) 8-) 8-)
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

Insignificant pieces of trivia
1 denarius = 10 asses (later became 16 asses)
1 as = standard Roman bronze coin, nothing (unless I am mistaken) to do with donkeys (as Suzy and Nick were saying)
1 bes = two-thirds of an as
1 semuncia = one twenty-fourth of an as
1 quincunx = five-twelfths of an as (what sort of stupid system was this?)
1 sesterce = two and a half asses
Perhaps donkeys are relevant after all
How many bes make a sesterce?
Last edited by Phyl Styles on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Unlucky Ciaran, congrats Mark, high quality game. Did I miss it, or was Ciaran's deafness not even mentioned? How could this be?
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

Did I miss it, or was Ciaran's deafness not even mentioned? How could this be?
Why would you need to?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:Unlucky Ciaran, congrats Mark, high quality game. Did I miss it, or was Ciaran's deafness not even mentioned? How could this be?
Your baldness wasn't mentioned in the CoC.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I meant that I'm making the assumption that it was Ciaran's choice for it not to be mentioned, and so I'm asking (if that assumption is correct) why?

I distinctly remember watching a show with a blind dude on, and it was absolutely years ago. It's fairly unique, and a point of interest for the viewer. I didn't just happen to notice he was blind (how could I?), I was told by the presenter. I mean, we can all sit there and say "nobody needs to know anything about the contestants" but fact is, they specifically want stuff that's interesting about contestants to use in intros etc, it qualifies doesn't it? Plus it obviously affects Ciaran's speech, and this is something the viewer will notice, so IMO it's worth explaining that.

I'm not having a pop. I'd've just expected Nick to mention it, unless he's pointedly instructed him not to.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

If I remember correctly the visually impaired chap had to be given the conundrum on a card which he turned over when the clock started, and thus an explanation was required. Ciaran performed so brilliantly that I don't think any sort of mention of his own impairment was necessary.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Not necessary, but I would have expected it to be mentioned.
Peter Fenton
Rookie

Post by Peter Fenton »

Very well played to both of you - a really high quality game that could easily have gone either way. Really unlucky for Ciaran to not only come up against Mark but to also get the joint 7th highest score of the series and still not take home a teapot :(
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

It's not really that important or relevant to mention that someone is a retired civil servant or has a maths degree or like to play golf in their spare time but we get all that info daily?

It's not as if being deaf is something to hide or be ashamed of - like having AIDS or something!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Deaf people often have AIDS though.

HEARING AIDS!!!!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

FWIW I would be a bit wtf if I was on a show and in my intro they brought up that I was disabled without discussing it with me first. Obviously I can't speak for Ciaran (or anyone else) but growing up with a major disability one often finds it's considered a 'defining feature'. To put it in the same context as someone's hobbies and interests, or their career, both trivializes it and also perpetuates the idea that having some sort of disability is somehow an inescapable facet of one's personality, which is pretty depressing.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Dave Preece wrote:It's not as if being deaf is something to hide or be ashamed of - like having AIDS or something!
You should probably clarify that you're talking about bad AIDS, rather than good AIDS there, otherwise that might come across as a bit offensive to people with the latter.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Wallace wrote:FWIW I would be a bit wtf if I was on a show and in my intro they brought up that I was disabled without discussing it with me first.
Oh absolutely, I wouldn't have expected them to just chuck it in without asking. But I would have expected them to ask, is what I'm saying. And I would've expected Ciaran to say "sure!". So I'm wondering which bit didn't happen, and maybe why. I just see it as something interesting to mention, worth explaining to the viewer, and pretty cool in being a first on the show. But maybe you're right, there could be all kinds of reasons not to, which I'm not aware of. (Which is why I asked, so I could understand them. I mean, if Ciaran didn't want anyone to know, then nobody on here would know either.)

Worms everywhere though, apparently :(
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:FWIW I would be a bit wtf if I was on a show and in my intro they brought up that I was disabled without discussing it with me first.
Oh absolutely, I wouldn't have expected them to just chuck it in without asking. But I would have expected them to ask, is what I'm saying. And I would've expected Ciaran to say "sure!". So I'm wondering which bit didn't happen, and maybe why. I just see it as something interesting to mention, worth explaining to the viewer, and pretty cool in being a first on the show. But maybe you're right, there could be all kinds of reasons not to, which I'm not aware of. (Which is why I asked, so I could understand them. I mean, if Ciaran didn't want anyone to know, then nobody on here would know either.)

Worms everywhere though, apparently :(
Anyway how do you know they didn't mention it and that you're not also deaf?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I watch nearly all TV (bar live broadcasts) with subtitles. True story.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

why did James think it important to mention but not the show, how did James know???
Ciaran McCarthy
Rookie

Post by Ciaran McCarthy »

Jon Corby wrote:Deaf people often have AIDS though.

That is not true and i don't like it when i saw your comment or i thought you probably mean deaf people often need to support?

I would like to Nick to comment i am deaf but look like it hasn't been written on script but anyway the audience knew already because of word of mouth by my stepdad and my brother who are in audience anyway

HEARING AIDS!!!!
Ciaran McCarthy
Rookie

OOPS AWKWARD!! i didnt see your bottom line haha but yes and some people dont wear hearing aids though
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ciaran McCarthy wrote:OOPS AWKWARD!! i didnt see your bottom line haha but yes and some people dont wear hearing aids though
:)

That's a real shame it wasn't mentioned then, if you'd have liked it to have been. Thanks for clearing that up. And commiserations on losing with such an excellent performance; could happen to absolutely anybody and just shows how important the luck of draw can be.
Ciaran McCarthy
Rookie

Jon Corby wrote:
Ciaran McCarthy wrote:OOPS AWKWARD!! i didnt see your bottom line haha but yes and some people dont wear hearing aids though
:)

That's a real shame it wasn't mentioned then, if you'd have liked it to have been. Thanks for clearing that up. And commiserations on losing with such an excellent performance; could happen to absolutely anybody and just shows how important the luck of draw can be.
Thanks for your word of wisdom and i really enjoyed it myself :) hopefully ill see you round at CO=event!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Luck of the draw??? Is it actually drawn — or ever been — random?
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Sort of an aside, but Michael mentioned a disability for himself, and from what I recall watching Only Connect, the only thing I noticed about you was one eye perhaps looked like a lazy eye. This is just me being curious, but is there more to it than that? Again, I just happen to not know.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jordan F wrote:Sort of an aside, but Michael mentioned a disability for himself, and from what I recall watching Only Connect, the only thing I noticed about you was one eye perhaps looked like a lazy eye. This is just me being curious, but is there more to it than that? Again, I just happen to not know.
Ha, Only Connect did a really good job of accommodating me, actually. The short answer is that I have this. The longer answer is I'm blind in my left eye from multiple retinal detachments as a kid (presumably the one you thought looked lazy) and have fairly bad vision in my right (it used to be *much* worse but I got a cataract a few years ago and the resulting surgery actually improved things somewhat). OC were awesome though, they put a monitor on the desk so I could see the questions (which are actually shown on a screen slightly behind the other team and so too far away for me to see at all easily), although I tried to pretend to look at the regular monitor a bit so it didn't look too odd to viewers. (You'll notice that in the missing vowels rounds I stared straight down rather than looking ahead, which I remember seeing someone online interpret as me having given up and not bothering!)