Code Word puzzles

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Code Word puzzles

Post by JackHurst »

I just finished making my first code word puzzle and I though this would be a great place to share it. Have a go at it if you have the time. If you do, please post here to tell me how difficult you found it, and give any suggestions on improving the layout for my next one! I made a second version of the puzzle which isn't too easy on the eyes, but will use less ink if you are worried about that sort of thing.

Puzzle 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41JeP ... sp=sharing
Puzzle 1 (Printer Friendly): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41JeP ... sp=sharing

Puzzle 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41JeP ... sp=sharing
Let me know if you have problems accessing the puzzle.
Last edited by JackHurst on Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: Code Word puzzles

Post by Innis Carson »

Good puzzle, enjoyed that. Took me quite a while to get started but after that it all works out pretty nicely. Some of the words aren't exactly everyday, which might make it hard for non-word-geeks, but then again it's probably possible to work them out with logic and some intuition.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

I can't access, its just blank
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Andy Platt wrote:I can't access, its just blank
Yeah, I found that too when I brought it up in Google Docs. If I then downloaded to the computer I could see it fine in Adobe Reader. Weird.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

If you can't get the pdf then I've attached a screenshot underneath. I hope it's of sufficient quality to be usable. And btw, like Innis said, it might take a while to get moving on this one, so if you want another letter send me a message or something.

Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

It won't show up in Google Docs unless you have a Google account and sign in.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Innis Carson wrote:It won't show up in Google Docs unless you have a Google account and sign in.
Ah, I did wonder if that was the reason, but then thought it would probably be a bit more helpful in telling you that, rather than making it look as if the document was simply blank!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Anybody other than Innis done it?
I've made another so can put it up if anybody wants it?
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Yeah, I've just done it, Jack - nice one. I agree with Innis that a couple of the words are pretty tough, but actually getting started is pretty straightforward if you attack the right part of the puzzle (which I think is the word across on the fourth row from the bottom, with second letter K followed by a double letter.)
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Yep, that was the one I got started with too.

And I'd quite like to have a go at your other one too, please post!
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

I have added a link to the second puzzle on the OP. Did anybody print the version of the first one which uses less ink?
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Nice, just finished the second one. It definitely did feel a bit easier than the first one, though I did learn a new word in the process! These work very well as puzzles for people in word game circles, though if they're intended for a wider audience I think it might be a good idea to stick to everyday words where possible - ideally people should always know when they've got it right without needing to check. Though to be fair, there were only a couple of words that I would have classed as non-everyday, and there's every chance I'm just unknowledgeable and these words are actually perfectly common.

Thanks again, these are fun.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Cheers Jack, I actually enjoy doing these with slightly more obscure words. Think this one was a bit too easy (too much info gained from MADONNA in my opinion - getting the A and the O opens it up completely), but still very enjoyable.
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Did you ever do any more of these Jack??