Eight prelim wins?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Eight prelim wins?

Post by Dave Preece »

Sorry if this is either obvious or has been pointed out before:

Why is eight the limit to the number of prelim wins you can have, I realise there HAS to be a limit, but why eight and not a more 'friendly' looking number, like, five or ten?

I'm thinking I might have nearly answered my own question, after typing this out!
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Eight prelim wins?

Post by Johnny Canuck »

In the (very) old days, Countdown used to be broadcast only four days a week, meaning that eight episodes would equate to two weeks of airtime. The production crew must have thought that after two weeks of seeing the same person over and over again, the viewers would be getting bored and want new contestants.

Thanks to someone for this info. I don't remember whom.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

What Johnny said ^ plus 'octochamp' suits as it has 9 letters, pentachamp has 10 so it would look slightly more out of place. :)
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Cheers guys...

Just thought it was 8 because that's between 5 and 10, or somethign daft?