Talented Non-Apterous Contestants

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
James Roper
Rookie

Talented Non-Apterous Contestants

Post by James Roper » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:55 pm

This may not be worded the best, but here goes:

These days, a lot of the startlingly good contestants that appear on countdown are from apterous. However, every now and again we would get these kind of people in the era before apterous had begun (e.g, Craig Beevers, Paul Gallen etc.). These days, because people tend to find apterous, we don't get this standard from non-apterites nowadays.

So this got me thinking. Since apterous was created, who have been the greatest contestants to participate that aren't members of apterous?

(Excluding some of the contestants from the 30th BC)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Talented Non-Apterous Contestants

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 pm

Did Carl Williams use Apterous? If not, you'd probably have to put him top, given how close he came to winning the series. But he might have gone on under a different name. Cate Henderson's octorun was pretty good, although she lost in the quarters, and Nicki Sellars made the final. I don't think Nicki Sellars was on Apterous, and Cate Henderson apparently hated the concept.

Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:28 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:Did Carl Williams use Apterous?
Not that I'm aware, although it was suspected that he might have done. I asked him whether he did and he said he'd heard of apterous but didn't play on it.

There is an apterous profile with his name, but I think that was Ed messing about. :-)

Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:36 am

Peter Godwin and Brian Selway both showed glimpses of very strong form, but were plagued by inconsistency which ultimately prevented them from posing any serious threat to the apterites in their series. Carl seems pretty much the clear winner in terms of finals success. It was striking that after Brian in Series 61, there were no non-apterite octochamps at all until Dave Taylor in S65.

Mark Deeks
Kiloposter

Post by Mark Deeks » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:48 am

No reason to assume Carl was an Apterite. He knew it about it, sure, but since he admitted to Googling at least me, and no doubt all of us in the QF lineup, that's no great mystery. So yeah. Him.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:39 am

I think as much as people don't like his practices and the way he did things, I think Jeffrey Hansford, just based on pure ability, is up there. Some stumbling blocks and obviously some buzzing controversy, but as I understand it (and those of you in the know can interject where I can't), there was still quite a bit of skill just in his noggin. Michael Macdonald-Cooper and Tim Reypert I think are underrated too. Probably can't consider them perhaps all time greats because of their QF losses, but they both had some skill (I consider Michael stronger than Tim because Tim appeared relatively weak at the numbers).

Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm

On the list of octochamps by number of maxes in the Ask Graeme thread, the winner amongst non-apterite octochamps in the 'apterous era' (which I would define as Series 60 onwards) is actually Shane Roberts, though he's only very narrowly ahead of some others. Obviously there are plenty of people higher up in the list who were at least as 'natural' as him, but it's hard to quantify that.

Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:05 pm

The great Julian Fell said he used to practise on the handheld computer game of Countdown.

James Roper
Rookie

Post by James Roper » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Jordan F wrote:I think as much as people don't like his practices and the way he did things, I think Jeffrey Hansford, just based on pure ability, is up there. Some stumbling blocks and obviously some buzzing controversy, but as I understand it (and those of you in the know can interject where I can't), there was still quite a bit of skill just in his noggin. Michael Macdonald-Cooper and Tim Reypert I think are underrated too. Probably can't consider them perhaps all time greats because of their QF losses, but they both had some skill (I consider Michael stronger than Tim because Tim appeared relatively weak at the numbers).
After apterous was created.

Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:59 pm

Mary Adie did very well.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."

LaurenHamer

Post by LaurenHamer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:53 am

As did the lovely Dave 'I wish you were my uncle' Taylor. Aww, lovely Dave. I think he did sign up briefly after his games but never stuck around.

L'oisleatch McGraw
Acolyte

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:22 pm

MOOOOSE! :mrgreen:
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp