Birthday Championship Spoilers For Tuesday February 5th 2013

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Birthday Championship Spoilers For Tuesday February 5th 2013

Post by James Robinson »

So, we have entered the repeat setting (of sorts), as we are now fully welcoming back our earlier contenders, as we now start to enter the final phases of this now LEGENDARY competition.

Our 2 contestants today come from opposite ends of the spectrum, we have Wayne Kelly, a figure from the past who has now become a master on the Scrabble circuit and Jack Hurst, undoubtedly a master on the Countdown circuit.

Here are the stats:

Firstly, Series 28 Runner-Up & CoC VII Quarter-Finalist Wayne Kelly - 12 Games, 9 Wins, 745 Points (Average: 62.08 / 60.18 (Excluding 14-Rounder) / 55.70 (Excluding 14 & 15 Rounders))
Highest Score: 105 vs. Nick Wainwright (30BC Prelim - 15 Rounder) / 83 vs. Damian Eadie (Grand Final - 14 Rounder) / 71 vs. Mike Salt (3rd Prelim - 9 Rounder)
Lowest Score: 36 vs. Richard Campbell (CoC Quarter-Final - 9 Rounder)
9's Achieved: 2/4
Total Points/Max/%: 745/993 (75%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 453/609 (74%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 202/254 (80%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 90/130 (69%)

Secondly, Series 63 Champion Jack Hurst - 12 Games, 12 Wins, 1,384 Points. (Average: 115.33)
Highest Score: 133 vs. Alex Curran (7th Game)
Lowest Score: 108 vs. Peter Godwin (Quarter-Final) & vs. Mark Deeks (30BC Prelim)
9's Achieved: 6/7
Total Points/Max/%: 1384/1497 (92%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 949/1028 (92%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 345/348 (99%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 90/120 (75%)

With me and Jack switching yet again, it's up to me to provide the recap later on. ;) :) :D
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Birthday Championship Spoilers For Tuesday February 5th

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote:Secondly, Series 63 Champion Jack Hurst - 12 Games, 12 Wins, 1,384 Points. (Average: 115.33)
Highest Score: 133 vs. Alex Curran (7th Game)
Lowest Score: 108 vs. Peter Godwin (Quarter-Final) & vs. Mark Deeks (30BC Prelim)
9's Achieved: 6/7
Total Points/Max/%: 1384/1497 (92%)
Letters Points/Max/%: 949/1028 (92%)
Numbers Points/Max/%: 345/348 (99%)
Conundrum Points/Max/%: 90/120 (75%)

With me and Jack switching yet again, it's up to me to provide the recap later on. ;) :) :D
99% is a tremendous numbers stat! 92% on the letters is also pretty impressive.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Watching this live from the house for once because of a snow day! Yay. :D
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

If Jack gets the nine in the first round Wayne is done for!!
Jack does !!! End of IMO!!!!!

round 3: Can I challenge POUFIEST declared by Susie?

MP
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

szodiac wrote: round 3: Can I challenge POUFIEST declared by Susie?

MP
Yes, but you're penalized 5 points.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Conor wrote:
szodiac wrote: round 3: Can I challenge POUFIEST declared by Susie?

MP
Yes, but you're penalized 5 points.
:D
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

SONICATED to equal CATENOIDS
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

A brief pop out from lurking just to say that Jack's sweater is fantastic. May I ask where it's from?
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

This may be one of the most insane things I've ever seen on air. 109 points with five rounds to go, and I believe Jack is on a potential max game as well. I'll provide more when I gain the ability to speak again.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Jordan F wrote:....

This may be one of the most insane things I've ever seen on air. 109 points with five rounds to go, and I believe Jack is on a potential max game as well. I'll provide more when I gain the ability to speak again.
He missed POUFIEST. :(

Edit: Lexplorer says it's invalid...
Last edited by Eoin Monaghan on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

OMG
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Jack: 9, 9, 9
Time to call the ambulance for Wayne !!!

Round 8 even if jack called for a consonant (D) - nines with either last letter !! (DISORIENT/RETINOIDS) (with U, N, R, G and Y also possible nines).

MP
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

....ok. Now that I got my breath back.

Don't beat yourself over this Jack, SPOUSING seemed like a very valid risk with things like SPOUSAL being in. And getting the second highest score ever still blows my mind, particularly with some of the words you had to get there. My jaw is still at the ground with this overall performance.

Also, my regards to Wayne. Even in the rounds where you didn't score, words like TENURIAL would have beaten me and probably most everybody, and it's honestly unlucky that you happened to come across someone getting the second highest score in Countdown history.
Nina Boyd
Rookie

Post by Nina Boyd »

Wayne is a true gentleman. He behaved impeccably.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Brilliant performance Jack, but can I just say ARRGH!!! for the missed all time high score, so so close. Ah well, well done anyway on the second highest ever score. 8-)

Well done to Wayne also.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Unlucky there Jack, I'm sure if Wayne had been the one delaring first you'd have stuck with the 7 but just unlucky to be the one delaring first. Also I've said it before and am saying it again, with apterous and the freedom to practise as much as you want and programmes for learning stuff the standard of countdown is just insane, players that would have comfortably won a few years back are just swept aside easily. There should be more stuff like this because it's inspirational.
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Fantastic Jack! Words fail to describe a performance like this.
Wayne very unlucky.
It's all up to Barry Grossman/Darryl Francis to uphold the Scrabble players chances.

'twas why I challenged POUFIEST/POUVIEST. Susie's call?! They're not even listed in the Official Countdown Dictionary 2001 edition.

MP
Nick Deller
Rookie

Post by Nick Deller »

There were two superstars today. Stunning performance by Jack, and so much guts by Wayne to bounce back and pull an 89 out of the bag after the first three rounds effectively ended the contest. Hopefully there'll be another opportunity for someone to take that record down before the tournament's over, and tbh I hope it's Jack!
Last edited by Nick Deller on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Oh no! :(

Very unlucky Jack but also excellently played. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Spousing was just really really unfortunate. Gutting, see how much it meant to you (though you need to leave some records for the rest of us).
szodiac wrote:'twas why I challenged POUFIEST/POUVIEST. Susie's call?! They're not even listed in the Official Countdown Dictionary 2001 edition.

MP
The OCD 2001 wasn't even the dictionary used back in 2001, let alone now. I think Damian might have been the only person to get POUFIEST (nobody else in the audience or the green room had it) and as mentioned it's not valid on apterous. IIRC pouf is listed as an alternative to poof in the main heading, and all alternatives inherit the derivatives attached to the main heading.
Mark Ivey
Rookie

Post by Mark Ivey »

Awesome game today. Kudos Jack, and bad luck on just missing out on the high score.

Can I be the first to suggest this be made a classic game on Apterous?
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Conor wrote:
The OCD 2001 wasn't even the dictionary used back in 2001, let alone now. I think Damian might have been the only person to get POUFIEST (nobody else in the audience or the green room had it) and as mentioned it's not valid on apterous. IIRC pouf is listed as an alternative to poof in the main heading, and all alternatives inherit the derivatives attached to the main heading.
Oddly enough, at my last two interviews, the OCD 2001 was the source book still being used to check declarations for people applying to get on the show.

MP
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

szodiac wrote: Oddly enough, at my last two interviews, the OCD 2001 was the source book still being used to check declarations for people applying to get on the show.

MP
Likewise at my auditions in 2004. It's just for convenience really - the selections are artificial so the auditioner will know which words are there, but applicants might feel a little aggrieved if their word is dismissed without some reference consultation.
John Garcia
Enthusiast

Post by John Garcia »

Wowsers!

p.s. Does anyone have any stats for how often a countdown game occurs with a max score as high as this one? What proportion of games are we talking? 1%?
Lee Kelly
Rookie

Post by Lee Kelly »

what was nick on about playing jack worsley next?
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Phenomenal game today. Well done Jack. I knew these rounds were going to produce some good games but the bar is being raised higher and higher.
SPOUSING was a brave attempt. I got ESPOUSING as a conundrum in one of my shows.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

I'm guessing that Jack thought Wayne would try SPOUSING and thought he'd better try it. Haven't seen the 1st third yet but I thought that having the presence of mind to pick a vowel last in the SERIATION round was very impressive. Jack is, in my experience from Apterous, the best at "goating" for a 9, although I imagine other top players would want to dispute that.
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

I know I'm gonna be controversial saying this, but I've never strayed away from anything but honesty so here goes:

First of all, not denying it was an incredible performance, scores like that are pretty rare online, let alone in the studio. But, although I accept I don't know Jack - and those who do, may understand his character better, but as someone who has no other impression of him, is it just me who found his etiquette extremely poor today?

I found that I had no sympathy when he blew his chance of his max, because I just found him to be incredibly smug, and some of his remarks, especially making it obvious that there was a 9 there for his 3rd nine before the clock had started, I just found really offensive, and I was incredibly impressed with how Wayne carried himself, because I don't think I'd have done so with so much decorum.

As I say, maybe as with a lot of people, if you know someone personally, you get a different impression, or maybe it was just me. But really not impressed tbh.

Z
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Oliver Garner wrote:I'm guessing that Jack thought Wayne would try SPOUSING and thought he'd better try it. Haven't seen the 1st third yet but I thought that having the presence of mind to pick a vowel last in the SERIATION round was very impressive. Jack is, in my experience from Apterous, the best at "goating" for a 9, although I imagine other top players would want to dispute that.
There's a leaderboard for this discipline. I see Innis and Conor as outliers.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Thanks for the positive comments guys. I'd just like to apologies for my rotten behaviour on the show today, I think the occasion got the better of me and I forgot to act in the appropriate way. I'd also like to say well played to Wayne, he was very unlucky to be behind so quickly and did well to keep it together. He was especially unlucky in round 1 where he was fishing for ROUTINELY (hoping for a final O). I was most apologetic to Wayne after the episode finished as I realised what an utter twat I had been throughout.

I'll try to behave myself vs Jack Worsley (I mean Chris Wills)
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

I have to agree with Zarte's sentiments. The "Let's hope it's an A!" comment in particular was very poor etiquette indeed and soured what was undoubtedly an excellent performance (and an excellent jumper, regardless of what Nick said!). It's frustrating when a top player feels the need to indulge in a little bit of gamesmanship to put his opponent off rather than just playing the game.

Still, very unlucky not to get the record when SPOUSING^ sounded fairly plausible from a deceptive selection.

Edit: Just seen Jack's apology. Well at least you realised in hindsight that you were being a bit of a knob - hopefully you're less of a bellface in your next game ;)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

wp cunt
Waynek 74

Post by Waynek 74 »

As I said at the end of the show, I was always going to be up against it with Jack, and I was beaten by the better player. Thanks to all the comments - I don't feel as though I played my perfect game though and that was more of a letdown than losing.

Round 1 as Jack has said I was trying for ROUTINELY and when I got an A instead of O then was debating whether any of the 3 scrabble anagrams minus the Y were valid in Countdown. Not sure whether declaring first I was would risked UNREALITY anyway.

Round 3 was well and truly on the backfoot now, so although I saw POUFIEST I was declaring first so did not want to miss a chance to score... and POUFY is definitely not valid in Scrabble so I thought I was clutching at straws... we did actually go back and film the realisation it was allowed as it came quite late. Still I should have got PITEOUS anyway...

LANDTIE - ironically my first score was a non-Scrabble word!

CATENOIDS was a risk for me - and was only hastily scribbled on the paper - although I know CATENOID is perfectly valid in Scrabble we don't deal with 9s so much - something Jack had said beforehand that he would have to try and get me on!

I have to admit I was annoyed with the 'hope it's an A' comment and let it get to me... I should have seen SERIATION though as I play SERIATE every other week in Scrabble but I did feel like my worst nightmares were coming true by this stage. That is when I just thought let's go for the sympathy vote and try and come across well as I did not get a lot of airtime I thought!

Was glad to get a round off Jack even if it was only though a dodgy choice - my biggest regret is missing RENEWALS though... I had seen it as the letters came out and then forgotten to write it down thinking Jack was going get another 9.

Bizarrely the numbers which let me down in my first show were my saving grace for my score but I was beaten long before the gamemanship, if that is what is was, kicked in.

I've enjoyed being back on Countdown and was glad to get a win (especially if it turns out I am the only Scrabble player to beat an Apterous player!) and I am glad I got the opportunity to take part when I really thought my Countdown days were way behind me. It's renewed my interest in it greatly and was very pleased to meet some old friends and some people who were faces on the screen from a while ago. :)

Wayne
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Congratulations Wayne on your excellent behaviour.

Jack, you, er... got a very good score. Really glad it wasn't the highest ever though, that was utterly horrible to watch.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I think it's good that you recognised beforehand that you played the game with poor etiquette Jack and you have apologised for it. As a friend, I was disappointed with the 'A' comment - especially since I don't think I'd have spotted the 9 had you not said it. And you could have handled getting the 2nd highest ever score on Countdown better, since it is a historic achievement so rather than bury your head in your hands you should have graciously taken the applause and congratulations.

With that said, I think the occasion did get to you. It's easy to become immersed in it. I did similar in my behaviour on the Gold Run on Blockbusters, my ungrateful comments were in poor taste, rather than being funny.

So yeah, well played! No doubt you'll be a bit tamer in the next round, more like your first appearance and good luck with it! But I'll now make a dickish comment to you to counterbalance your on-screen nature today - I beat you today.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

First of all, well done to Jack for an outstanding performance. I understand your disappointment at missing out on the all-time record in the way you but like Ryan said, the second highest ever is still a fantastic achievement, so don't beat yourself up about it. It pains me to say that I agree with some comments about your etiquette at times which sadly takes something away from your performance. However, having met Jack personally, he is a fully respectable person off-screen and I genuinely don't think he meant any malice with it. Like he said, I think he just got carried away by the occasion, which could easily happen to a lot of people. Well done for apologising for your actions both to Wayne and the forum quickly.

Wayne, you conducted yourself admirably throughout, even though it must have been difficult after the start. Even if you don't think you were at your best, you still played very well and did not deserve the final scoreline to look like it did. Not many people would have been able to live with Jack today and during your two games in the tournament, you can be very proud of the way you've performed. Also, full credit to you for praising his performance on the whole.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Jack Worsley wrote:It pains me to say that I agree with some comments about your etiquette at times which sadly takes something away from your performance. However, having met Jack personally, he is a fully respectable person off-screen and I genuinely don't think he meant any malice with it. Like he said, I think he just got carried away by the occasion, which could easily happen to a lot of people.
Absolutely this. At a CO-event or on apterous this kind of light-hearted gamesmanship would have been totally normal and just part of the fun, and when you're there in the Countdown studio living it up with other apterous folk all day long, it's very tempting to stay in apterous mode and treat the show in the same way. Out of context, however, it looks very different. Jack's only shortcoming was to get carried away in the moment and forget this.

Congrats Jack on the fantastic score, and a solid performance all round.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

On the other side of the coin, me and my girlfriend watched this together and two things came out of it:

1) She loves your jumper and says you're her favourite countdowner ever and she thinks she's in love with you.
2) She laughed at the "I hope it's an A" comment.

I think you've scored ;)
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

I've just watched this show. I was reading through the comments for what seemed like an age until I reached Zarte's post. He was the first person to say what immediately came to mind for me, and others have jumped on the bandwagon since, so I'll give my view now too. I'll go further than Zarte to say that I was actually actively pleased that Jack didn't set a new high score. The A for SERIATION thing that you did was disgusting. It completely ruins the round, whether or not your opponent gets the 9 as well.

I won't deny that it was a very strong performance though, Jack, and you'll be tough to beat. Wayne, you played well too, and I'll echo what others have said in praising your conduct when faced with Jack in the other chair. I'll give some credit to Jack for apologising, but I can't believe that, even 'in the heat of the moment', it would occur to him to do what he did. I'm probably being melodramatic, but there's not much you could do worse than that in a game of Countdown (excluding non-Countdown-specific things like killing your opponent). It's even more tactless than preventing an audience member from solving the conundrum. Anyway, you've added another dimension to this Championship, for me at least. Whether you like it or not, in my mind you're now 'the baddie' and I really hope someone beats you. Other than that, I've been pretty much neutral in not minding who wins each game, apart from wanting Ed to win.

[/sour grapes]
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

So Jack and Conor are engaging in some kind of jumper-off, apparently unaware that Ryan has beaten both of them hands down.

Wayne, well played. To get 89 against someone like Jack, especially having not scored in the first three rounds, is some achievement. And congratulations on the 143, Jack. While it might not have seemed it at the time, it's something to be proud of.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Adam Gillard wrote:I'm probably being melodramatic, but there's not much you could do worse than that in a game of Countdown (excluding non-Countdown-specific things like killing your opponent).
If this is the case then I think you lack imagination. I can come up with MUCH worse stuff. Like if you have a 7 and your opponent declares 6 first, burst out laughing and ask them in disbelief "are you kidding? Just 6?" Or if they declare 1 away on the numbers, you say, "on account of the fact that I can ADD UP [roll eyes at opponent] I am 0 away". I could go on.

BTW this is all stuff I do on Apterous. Game anyone?
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I think an important point everyone is missing in the "hope it's an A" round is that Rachel had already said Jack was fishing for a nine. She invited that sort of comment and personally I don't think it's that big a deal. I was more impressed by the quality of goating than anything else in that round. I'm too busy concentrating on saying "consonant" right to do that live in the studio.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

A couple of years ago, when I was still relatively new to apterous, Jack made a thread on this forum giving his honest opinion about some of the major players. The only reason I merited inclusion at the time was because I was an annoying little s*** who would go on about things in chat like having just missed a PB in Hypertouch because I picked the wrong word to declare, or stuff like that. I was, and still am, grateful to Jack for pointing this out, and I hope I've managed to tone that sort of thing down, if not completely eradicate it, since then. I hope that Jack can also take any criticism constructively, because I know he's not a 'baddie' really, but he stands out like a sore thumb among the other people in this tournament who have been so gracious, be it in victory or in defeat.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Well done Jack on the unplayably high standard, and forget about the SPOUSING thing. The record would be nice, but records only mean something to people who know enough about the field of competition to care about it. And anyone who knows and cares about the history of Countdown knows your achievements anyway, so it doesn't change that. You're still the Octo record holder and the champ who blitzed his series.

Regarding the extracurricular activities - in the spoilers thread for our game, you wrote about me, "apparently you guys find his bravado entertaining." If you can give it, you can surely take it - you were a douche up there today. You have already done more than enough for the whole Countdown world to know and envy your talent and brains, so there's no need to make contrived efforts to do so further. Nevertheless, we all make mistakes, so let's say no more about it after today. And I'm still rooting for you, because the better you do, the better my loss looks. Good job, me/you.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Haha, loving this thread. Jack gets second highest score ever and our main preoccupation becomes, albeit eventually, whether he's a cunt. For the record I called him a "cock" all that night at the bar. Also, for the record, he took it with amazingly good grace (rather than amazing grace which would add a sense of gravitas he does't deserve). He was just genuinely disappointed he didn't beat an epic Countdown record; also, much as I'm loath to admit it, he's a good guy: he may be a slightly cocky 20-year old but when I was 20 I was much more cocky and had a lot less to brag about.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

best spoils
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Congrats to Jack on the 2nd highest score ever and for being a whisker away from achieving the record. As David says, the exuberance of someone aged 20 is understandable and completely forgivable, and it would be unfair for people to disregard the performance overall in favour of picking at your on-screen delivery. Individuality makes us all different and nobody died.

Also, big thanks to Wayne. Every credit for sticking in there and plugging away. Scrabble players are always going to be handicapped when playing Countdown, but it was great to see you again and it brought back a heap of memories for one particular pillock from Blackpool.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Like some others, I'm quite enjoying this thread. Obviously Jack's "Let's hope for an A" thing was a little bit dickish, but not to the point where anyone should actually care, and with no disrespect to Wayne, who easily beat me playing at home, the game was largely over at that point, so it's hardly likely to have been gamesmanship. What would have been really bad is if it was still in a balance and he'd said "Let's hope for an A" when A didn't give a nine and he sat back in the round twiddling his thumbs knowing eight was the max.
Adam Gillard wrote:It's even more tactless than preventing an audience member from solving the conundrum.
Shit, I'd forgetten that. That's a complete nothing. As for:
Adam Gillard wrote:A couple of years ago, when I was still relatively new to apterous, Jack made a thread on this forum giving his honest opinion about some of the major players. The only reason I merited inclusion at the time was because I was an annoying little s*** who would go on about things in chat like having just missed a PB in Hypertouch because I picked the wrong word to declare, or stuff like that. I was, and still am, grateful to Jack for pointing this out, and I hope I've managed to tone that sort of thing down, if not completely eradicate it, since then. I hope that Jack can also take any criticism constructively, because I know he's not a 'baddie' really, but he stands out like a sore thumb among the other people in this tournament who have been so gracious, be it in victory or in defeat.
I don't know why people are bothered by this sort of thing either. I don't care if people moan about their misses and stuff. I think people need to give less of a shit generally what other people get up to. IT MAKES ME REALLY ANNOYED!
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:I'm probably being melodramatic, but there's not much you could do worse than that in a game of Countdown (excluding non-Countdown-specific things like killing your opponent).
If this is the case then I think you lack imagination. I can come up with MUCH worse stuff. Like if you have a 7 and your opponent declares 6 first, burst out laughing and ask them in disbelief "are you kidding? Just 6?" Or if they declare 1 away on the numbers, you say, "on account of the fact that I can ADD UP [roll eyes at opponent] I am 0 away". I could go on.

BTW this is all stuff I do on Apterous. Game anyone?
We could have a thread just for this. But anyway, I can imagine you on Apterous saying those things out loud to yourself. Is that what you meant?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

No, I played Jon Corby earlier and some of the shit he made up just made me LOL so I said so in the chat box. He really appreciated it!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Like some others, I'm quite enjoying this thread. Obviously Jack's "Let's hope for an A" thing was a little bit dickish, but not to the point where anyone should actually care, and with no disrespect to Wayne, who easily beat me playing at home, the game was largely over at that point, so it's hardly likely to have been gamesmanship.
I think you're missing the point of why that was dickish. Yes, it's kinda arrogant/cocky to be saying "I know there's a nine straight away if an A comes out here" but that's by-the-by really. The point is - do you think Jack would have acted this way if he was behind, or if the game was closer? He's blatantly saying "I've got a nine here, and I couldn't really give a shit whether Wayne knows this and therefore gets it or not, this isn't a contest anymore, it's about what kind of score I can rack up". And this was in round fucking eight, for god's sake. It just showed a total lack of respect for his opponent.
Waynek 74

Post by Waynek 74 »

I do think the point has gone at little out of proportion - Jack did not do himself any favours but I would not let that detract from his prowess. We had been talking about records and such beforehand, and I think by then he had forgot about beating me as that was in the bag, and he was just going for records. There are all sorts of gamesmanship things that go on in Scrabble, if you can pysch your opponent out before you've laid a tile it's almost a game in the bag (no pun intended), and that has more luck involved.

I know in a crucial game to win an event, I played 2 nine-timers in a row and was about 400 points ahead, and when my opponent came back with a half decent score, I said something flippant like 'You are eating into my spread' (points difference) so we can all say something without thinking. The difference being mine was not being televised.

I also tried a bit of 'goating' - finishing for the O for ROUTINELY and an A in the GUILDER round for REGULATED, though no doubt Jack would have got these too, it still would have made my score better. I could have done with something a little more Penelope friendly though for the 9s.

Jack is 20 - I was 20 when I was on first, though I feel like I am a much better anagrammer now than then. At the time though, I was trying to rival Richard with puns and for the most part failing dismally, though I did get a quote in Colemanballs!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Like some others, I'm quite enjoying this thread. Obviously Jack's "Let's hope for an A" thing was a little bit dickish, but not to the point where anyone should actually care, and with no disrespect to Wayne, who easily beat me playing at home, the game was largely over at that point, so it's hardly likely to have been gamesmanship.
I think you're missing the point of why that was dickish. Yes, it's kinda arrogant/cocky to be saying "I know there's a nine straight away if an A comes out here" but that's by-the-by really. The point is - do you think Jack would have acted this way if he was behind, or if the game was closer? He's blatantly saying "I've got a nine here, and I couldn't really give a shit whether Wayne knows this and therefore gets it or not, this isn't a contest anymore, it's about what kind of score I can rack up". And this was in round fucking eight, for god's sake. It just showed a total lack of respect for his opponent.
I suppose. In that case he is a total dickhead and I really hate him.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

John Garcia wrote:Wowsers!

p.s. Does anyone have any stats for how often a countdown game occurs with a max score as high as this one? What proportion of games are we talking? 1%?
Go go gadget graph!

Correct. Just over 1% of 15 round games have a max of 152 or more.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

As if this thread could get any better, in comes Graeme with some bad-ass shit. Awesome.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Jon Corby wrote:
Hasn't this been explained as a young man's exuberance? Also, whilst I love you, aren't you the worst person ever on Apterous for being a bad winner? Additionally, you aren't a young man and really don't have an excuse for doing online what Jack did on the telly; additionally, you weren't asked to go on the telly so maybe you have a gripe?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

So guys, there's a lot of things been said, and I want to respond to as many of them as I can, but that would mean I'd have to sit here for hours typing up my lengthy response. I'll try and keep it short(ish):

1-When I sit in the chair, the thing I do to combat nerves is act as confidently as possible. In this sense my think is to want everybody around to know how clever I am, and I do anything to let them know it. I'm not so much like this in real life. In fact, I can't stand people who are like this in real life. It's just a defence I use against getting nerves. You might like to know that there is a 0% chance of me ever getting a first in my degree (i'm shit at maths), but when Nick asked, I was feeling cocky, so joked that I would. Maybe I was close to this sort of behaviour when I was 16, but I'm different now.

2-Further ammunition for you haterz out there: When Nick went over the score in my last game, saying I beat Mark deeks 108-103, I replied by pointing out it was my lowest score.

3-After CATENOIDS, I must admit, I didn't really have anything on my mind but achieving as high a score as possible. Why not? I mean no disrespect to Wayne, but considering my form on apterous at the time, I would have backed myself to drop less than 33 points in the last 9 rounds of a 15 rounder 99.9% of the time. When I was faced with RSTNOIIE in round 8, I was just thinking "Come on, please be an A", and I shouldn't have, but I ended up saying it at out loud. When it did actually come out, I had a giggle to myself because I thought it was ridiculously lucky that I'd had 2 nines, and now the successful fishing pick. Sorry for being excited guys. I probably should have been fair to Wayne and concealed my emotion at that point, but I just couldn't. I think some people will be complaining about the demographic of contestants competing in this championship; Young white male students who all take it a bit too seriously and don't have much to say for themselves. At least I'm trying to give a bit of personality, albeit at the cost of becoming the pantomime villain.

Oh and by the way, I always remember Idolising Kirk when he was on, and distinctly remembering him saying what he wanted the last pick to be out loud. I can't recall there being such a fuss back then, so I thought it wouldnt be so bad now.

4-At the end of the episode I did try to give a small smile when they gave me the applause. I was worried about accusations of smugness if I smiled to broadly, so tried to be modest about it. Yeah I was pissed off about missing the high score, but I still have the common sense and decency to take praise in a gracious manner! I'd like to see the reactions of other players who ended up in a similar situation to me today. If you show no emotion people will think you are a boring bastard, but then if you show your frustration everybody will rip into you.

5- I was thinking of coming back to countdown and starting going to co-events again one day, but no I think I'll just feel quite unwelcome. You've all just ripped into one person for 2 tiny bits poor behaviour that happened when they were put on the spot.

In short, I wear my emotion on my sleeve, and I try to show a bit of personality whilst I am in the chair. I know I don't get it right all of the time, but at least I am trying, which is a lot more than can be said about a lot of you guys. I could curl up in a ball and say I am even more sorry than before, but no, I think it's time you guys got grip on reality and stopped taking yourselves so seriously.

Oh and Adam, I think you're a great guy, and I wanted you to win the whole thing. It's such a shame that you had to leave the competition after the first round after your 100+ days of apterous practise. There still a life out there for you to live, so why not get off apterous and go and achieve something before it's too late.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

I had no idea that being 20 meant you could get away with so much stuff!! I intend to be as cocky as possible now in my daily life in the knowledge that I've got a ready-made excuse to get away with it... :D

Nah, just kidding. (Kinda.) Jack: the number of messages that applaud your performance have vastly outweighed those unimpressed by your conduct; even most of the messages regarding how you acted have accepted that you were 'in the moment' rather than deliberately being a show-off. Yeah it wasn't great, and I don't think it's out of order to comment on it, but I - and certainly most of the posters - don't for a moment think you were sitting there plotting how to psyche Wayne out, or going out there with a gameplan of the sort. This isn't Carl Williams mk2.

Ultimately, most (/probably all) of us are going to forget this storm in a teacup before the end of the week. So don't take it personally; you quickly acknowledged you were a bit of a twat during the game, which is more than others would've done. I seriously doubt this'd have any bearing on how people treated you at a Co event, unless it becomes a theme during the rest of your games - but we'll see about that soon enough! This one's been discussed enough really. Roll on the rest of the tournament :)

(...If I don't make sense, I've just got back from a night out.)

Although...
JackHurst wrote:Oh and Adam...There still a life out there for you to live, so why not get off apterous and go and achieve something before it's too late.
Bit harsh :?
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Having met you Jack, I've seen what you're like in person and I don't think you are in the least bit cocky and I actually enjoyed meeting you, yes it was maybe out of order on a few things you did but as Mark said we all make mistakes and I'm not holding that against you. Exuberant yes, cocky, no.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I do not do apterous (yet) and I failed to get through the 'interview' when Countdown was in Leeds - but I watch the prog regularly for pleasure and to be entertained.
I was not entertained by Jack.
Many apterites seem to have more sympathy for him, but surely Countdown is primarily an entertainment prog for the ordinary viewer.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:Hasn't this been explained as a young man's exuberance? Also, whilst I love you, aren't you the worst person ever on Apterous for being a bad winner? Additionally, you aren't a young man and really don't have an excuse for doing online what Jack did on the telly; additionally, you weren't asked to go on the telly so maybe you have a gripe?
I'm getting the impression that you kinda wanted me to lay off Jack (even though I've barely said anything) so asking me lots of retarded questions is an odd way to go about that. I probably wasn't going to add anything further.

I'm not totally down with the "young exuberance" excuse. We've had (far) younger contestants who have won by large margins and still managed to behave correctly. He's 20 FFS. Plus he's also just explained above that he does it on purpose (and with a little forethought), because he thinks a lot of the other contestants are boring and show no personality or emotion. So that's nice.
And it's not at all comparable to what we might do online, which is comedy sledging in private (from both sides, as at absolute best I'll win as many as I lose against you). As he mentioned above, I played several games against Jono last night where we both took the piss out of each other (and ourselves) constantly, it's funny. It's banter between good mates. I certainly don't do it to just anybody. I challenge you to find anybody who genuinely thinks I'm a bad winner (or loser) on apterous. Or real life, for that matter.

As for having a gripe about "not being asked to go back on TV", why would you think that? I've posted on many games in this tournament purely to congratulate the players on both their skill and comportment. Feel free to use anything I've said (even in private, if you like) to justify that accusation.