London Underground (and DLR) Stations

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

London Underground (and DLR) Stations

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

There's a quite good picture puzzle at http://www.lookforlonger.com for people who like railways and/or excruciating puns. There are even prizes to be won, and a couple of weeks left before the final deadline.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Re: London Underground (and DLR) Stations

Post by Graeme Cole »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:There's a quite good picture puzzle at http://www.lookforlonger.com for people who like railways and/or excruciating puns. There are even prizes to be won, and a couple of weeks left before the final deadline.
This is made of win.

37/75 so far.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Thanks Rosemary, I stumbled across this a few days ago as well. Managed to get them all after a protracted struggle - there are some real stinkers in there, a few of which jar from a "cryptic crossword" point of view
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Bob De Caux wrote:Thanks Rosemary, I stumbled across this a few days ago as well. Managed to get them all after a protracted struggle - there are some real stinkers in there, a few of which jar from a "cryptic crossword" point of view
Well done you! After several days poring over lists I'm still missing two of them, the red fish and the shooty guy on the roof. Would you care to give me a hint?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I noticed this the other day on the Tube (as a poster), before I knew it was any sort of competition. It's quite a cool thing to have to stare at whilst waiting for a train, as it can keep you distracted for quite a long time (and our local pub quiz always has a three point 'cryptic stations' question, so good training for that). Had no idea what it was an advert for, mind...
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

We had a team effort at this at work and must've got most of them, although we weren't counting. I agree that there are some stupid ones.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Bob De Caux wrote:Thanks Rosemary, I stumbled across this a few days ago as well. Managed to get them all after a protracted struggle - there are some real stinkers in there, a few of which jar from a "cryptic crossword" point of view
Well done you! After several days poring over lists I'm still missing two of them, the red fish and the shooty guy on the roof. Would you care to give me a hint?
Aah, the red fish... I don't think I'm ruining anybody's fun by revealing it is actually a "red herring". Type that in and it goes away. A lot of time was wasted on that one!

As for the shooty guy... well let's just say that he sounds as if he is "shoot"-ing
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Thanks, Bob, with your excellent hint I finally got it. The red herring is a neat touch, though - I was mightily puzzled by having more hotspots than answers.

I'm quite impressed by the implementation, too, except that I can't now register or log on without losing my score so far. But I don't need a new television anyway.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Well done Rosemary! The red herring wasn't such a neat touch if you missed one of the genuine entries like I did! it seems to specifically label the hotspots on an iPad, but not on a PC
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

I'm on a PC and see the hotspots OK, but only in IE. In Firefox I see no picture at all, but that is just my NoScript add-on - I like it set to suppress ordinary bells and whistles, but it does sometimes get above itself.
In IE the game takes away the hotspots as you go, so I guess the answers are somewhere in my cookies.
Bob De Caux
Enthusiast

Post by Bob De Caux »

Ah OK, that's interesting. I used Firefox and there were no markings - just the option to double click when you hovered over the various parts of the screen, which made it quite easy to miss one.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Bob, that's basically what I meant by "hotspots" - clicking elsewhere has no effect but where a solution is required you are prompted to double-click to enter it. But like some adventure games it is sometimes a challenge to find the right spot to hover in, and some of them are very close together.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Just stumbled across this. I'm on the Tube Challenge forums and there's a thread there with all the answers.

http://www.tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index. ... =viewtopic

SPOILER WARNING!
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...