Countdown's 30th Birthday

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

Countdown's 30th Birthday

Post by Ciaran Thompson »

Hello.

Seen as November 2nd of this year marks Countdown's 30th Anniversary, does anyone think it might be worth contacting the Countdown office and suggesting they do a special champion of champions (CofC), but perhaps brand it specially for the 30th birthday.

You could have the usual 15 episodes that may up a CofC, which of course would involve 30 contestants, in honour of the 30 years of Countdown. The contestants could be champions from as many of the 30 years (and 67 series) as possible, instead of the champions from the last few series. This CofC could broadcast around the 2nd November date or maybe the last three weeks before the show goes off the air for the Christmas break. (so maybe 26th Nov - 14th Dec). It would be a mini Supreme Championship (SC). I think it would be great to have another one, especially seen as the last one was in 1996. I seem to recall Richard half joking back then that Countdown should have a SC every 14 years or 32 series (I can't remember what exactly he said, something like that anyway). Maybe his half joke should come true (just a bit overdue).

A full scale SC (like the 1996 one) would be too much of an undertaking, what with contacting 70 odd past contestants, arranging for them to come in and scheduling it etc, so just a usual 3-week CofC, but with 30 years of past champions would be best (I think). I say this as well because since around 2000, theres always been a CofC after every 5-7 series. Before 2000, it was always every 4 series. So once series 67 is finished, it will be 8 series since the last CofC in Jan 2009.

If anyone thinks its a worthwhile idea then would it also be worth any of us emailing countdown@channel4.com? The more people that suggest it, the more likely they will consider it. I'd say they've probably already planned what's going to happen for the anniversary, but it may be still a good idea to suggest this. They havent filmed episodes for Oct, Nov or Dec yet so theres probably still time.

Already I know theyre doing another 8 out of 10 Cats special and Gyles Brandreth is making some DC appearances around the time of the anniversary, so whatever happens, hopefully it'l be great.

Thanks.
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: Countdown's 30th Birthday

Post by Innis Carson »

As nice an idea as this is, the production team just aren't interested in having another CoC unfortunately. Many people have suggested it already. Think the reasoning is that the general public are more interested in being able to 'play along' than in watching a high standard of play, which is understandable.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

I have been informed that they sometimes get complaints when contestants are too good for the reason Innis has said, just imagine (obviously this is hypothetical) what this years c of c event would be like, it would be insane.
Keith Bennett
Acolyte

Post by Keith Bennett »

Nice idea Ciaran but they'd have had to plan this yonks ago. Recordings would be taking place in only a few weeks from now so potential contestants would need to have been invited some months back.

It's a shame they won't do a CofC, though that's just about more understandable than inviting Brandreth back.

If they're concerned about a CofC swamping the screen with too many star players at a time why not show one heat every week, on Friday for instance? Start with 16 contestants, show one game a week for 15 weeks in the first half of a normal series. Sometimes the middle of a series can be a bit flat - the last one was a good example when 3 of the 4 Octochamps came from the start or end of the series and much of what was in between was ordinary (Peter Lee excepted). Putting some CofC matches in would help balance things up.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Realistically, I think very few viewers would have a problem with a 15-game CofC with top players every couple of years or so. Not doing one is just the preference of the current Countdown team rather than anything else.
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

They might well do get complaints about having too many great players but what the production team (perhaps) don't realise is that people can still play along anyway. They know the champions are probably going to beat them so why complain. I would think they'd be far more people pleased to see the old faces again than complain. But the current production team are what they are and choose to focus on these things.

Surely they know that we all get amazed at the brilliant numeric skills, the lightning fast conundrum spottings, the frequent and fantastic nine-letter words given and the high scores of the champions. Who can forget Conor Travers or Harvey Freeman? Its always great to see these people again because they were great and people remember them. Countdown is renowned for its champions. So its always a good idea to bring them back.
Keith Bennett wrote:Nice idea Ciaran but they'd have had to plan this yonks ago. Recordings would be taking place in only a few weeks from now so potential contestants would need to have been invited some months back.
I know. You're probably right. That's kind of what I said in my original message, however, the forthcoming Septemeber recording dates are for November, so they'll be filming in October for the December broadcasts. I know many people have suggested it before (as you say Innis) but I still think we could make some sort of suggestion to them. They may do it in the new year instead if theres not enough time to organise it for this year.
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Don't get me wrong I would love to see a C of C event, when you have players that have been on for the past few years it really would be great viewing. BUT maybe we could do our own C of C tourney on apterous exclusively for the top players that have been on the show that are on apterous, just a thought, I don't mind running it if everyone agrees.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Barnard wrote:Don't get me wrong I would love to see a C of C event, when you have players that have been on for the past few years it really would be great viewing. BUT maybe we could do our own C of C tourney on apterous exclusively for the top players that have been on the show that are on apterous, just a thought, I don't mind running it if everyone agrees.
That would be pretty good actually.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

How about another Supreme championship on Apterous? Lots of tracking down to do but would be amazing.
DANNI WOODHOUSE

Post by DANNI WOODHOUSE »

id love to do a special Countdown 30th birthday video on youtube - seeing as i am age 32 and my knowledge of the programme does go back quite a long way.

Only thing is that i should ask has anyone got any Countdown on video tape as I dont want to have repeat anything thats already on youtube
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

Ok after some people agreeing with my idea of a supreme championship on apterous, my idea would be to find out the top 16 players from the past 16 series (or as far back as is required to make 16 players) that are on apterous and invite them to play in an apterous supreme championship, I'll run it. The seedings will be decided by on screen performances (specials don't count). Whoever makes it who is a member on this forum please state your interest in competing if you want to play when I publish the seedings on a new thread.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Ciaran Thompson wrote:Seen as November 2nd of this year marks Countdown's 30th Anniversary, does anyone think it might be worth contacting the Countdown office and suggesting they do a special champion of champions (CofC), but perhaps brand it specially for the 30th birthday.
Don't be ridiculous, Ciaran, that'll never happen.
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

Graeme Cole wrote:
Ciaran Thompson wrote:Seen as November 2nd of this year marks Countdown's 30th Anniversary, does anyone think it might be worth contacting the Countdown office and suggesting they do a special champion of champions (CofC), but perhaps brand it specially for the 30th birthday.
Don't be ridiculous, Ciaran, that'll never happen.
I know lol! Everyone was saying 'it'll never happen'. I'm glad I suggested it back in July. I'm sure others did too.