Monday 13th August 2012 (Series 67, Prelim 26)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Monday 13th August 2012 (Series 67, Prelim 26)

Post by Jack Worsley »

Countdown recap for Monday 13 August 2012.

Hello again, welcome to another Worsley Recap. After reading Mark Deeks' masterpiece two weeks ago, I feared that I may be out of the job but I'm still here. I'll do my best to entertain you.

Nick opens the show by talking about household arguments. The "mighty research department" concluded that the three main topics of the arguments are, in order: Money, kids and housework. Nick claims the most argued about subject in his house is where the TV remote has got to though.

C1: Champion Grant Waters (4 wins, 382 points.) An apte-forumite from Maidstone who is doing pretty well so far. Grant is averaging a cool 95.5 points per game and has already spotted two nine letter words. It is revealed that cooking is one of his hobbies.
C2: Challenger Neil Jenner. An accountant from Colchester, who plays the guitar in a Spanish acoustic band. He is a fan of snowboarding and football and incredibly was the European Judo champion at the age of eight! :o :!: He claims to have lost some of his skills though.
DC: Susie Dent and Dave Myers.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: N G R E I A S P E
R02: D O I T R G E N T
R03: Z N T P O A E I L
R04: D F A L E A O R T
R05: 75, 6, 9, 8, 5, 5. Target: 647.
TTT: GLIBSTAN - "Stan was very glib, he'd just had a telling off"
R06: T M A O R S E C I
R07: H R Q U E A G E S
R08: W I O T R E L M I
R09: R J P O E U S I N
R10: 100, 9, 1, 6, 9, 8. Target: 233.
TTT: CHICNOSE - "Shells maybe, but certainly not bullets"
R11: W T B A E U S E M
R12: L A S D E O B X S
R13: V N T G E A I O R
R14: 50, 75, 100, 25, 8, 3. Target: 940.
R15: T A A N D O O R I (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: N G R E I A S P E

C1: SEEPING (7)
C2: SPEARING (8)
DC: PRAISE (6) PRESAGE (7) PEERING (7)
OT: SPREEING (8)
Score: 0–8 (max 8)

This wasn't in the script for our champ as Neil makes the early breakthrough with his eight. Plenty of time to turn thins around though.

Round 2: D O I T R G E N T

C1: GOITRED (7)
C2: DOTTING (7)
DC: DOTTIER (7) ROTTING (7)
OT: ERODING (7) GENITOR (7) GITTERN (7) GRITTED (7) GROINED (7) IGNORED (7) REDOING (7) RETTING (7) TRIDENT (7) TRIGONE (7) TRITONE (7)
Score: 7–15 (max 15)

Surprisingly seven is as good as it gets here, with plenty to choose from. Grant gets off the mark with a Countdown favourite.
TRITONE is a musical term, relating to an interval of three tones, between C and F sharp.

Round 3: Z N T P O A E I L

C1: ELATION (7)
C2: PLANET (6)
DC: POLENTA (7)
OT: OPALINE (7) PANTILE (7) TOENAIL (7)
Score: 14–15 (max 22)

A bit of ELATION for Grant as he closes the gap to a single point, with Neil only able to muster a six.
OPALINE is an adjective meaning opalescent Aand can also be a type of translucent glass of a colour other than white.

Round 4: D F A L E A O R T

C1: DEFLATOR (8)
C2: FARTED (6)
DC: FEDORA (6)
Score: 22–15 (max 30)

Now Grant takes the lead with the brilliant darren, while Nick suggests that the two offerings are related. :lol: I was disappointed that no one mentioned the old favourite LEOTARD, even if it's only a seven.

Round 5: 75, 6, 9, 8, 5, 5. Target: 647.

C1: 647. (6 + 75) x 8 - 5/5 (10)
C2: 647. (6 + 75) x 8 - 5/5 (10)
Score: 32–25 (max 40)

Both manage to solve this, even though Grant hesitates in giving out his method, almost using the 6 twice but luckily he manages to correct himself.

Dave talks about his career, including his exploits on Mastermind. Apparently the Hairy Bikers sell more books bar Jamie and Nigella.

Teatime teaser: GLIBSTAN -> BLASTING

Round 6: T M A O R S E C I

C1: AMORTISE (8)
C2: COASTER (7)
DC: ATOMISER (8)
OT: MATRICES (8) MORTICES (8)
Score: 40–25 (max 48)

A little bit of breathing space for the champion thanks to a good eight.

Round 7: H R Q U E A G E S

C1: SQUARE (6)
C2: SQUARE (6)
DC: GREASE (6)
OT: AGREES (6) ARGUES (6) AUGERS (6) EAGRES (6) GUSHER (6) HEARSE (6) QUEERS (6) RESEAU (6) SAUGER (6)
Score: 46–31 (max 54)

Just sixes available in a flat round.

Round 8: W I O T R E L M I

C1: MOTLIER (7)
C2: LOITER (6)
DC: LIMITER (7)
Score: 53–31 (max 61)

Another winner for Grant, who has maximised every round since falling behind in round 1.

Round 9: R J P O E U S I N

C1: PROSE (5)
C2: pinser
DC: SOUPIER (7) INJURES (7)
OT: JUNIPERS (8) PRUINOSE (8)
Score: 58–31 (max 69)

This was Neil's big chance to make up some ground but he can't capitalise on a bit of a brain freeze by Grant, as he misspells PINCER. DC find a couple of good sevens, but miss the eights.
PRUINOSE is an adjective meaning covered with white powdery granules, chiefly used in Botany.

Oow: Susie talks about the word hypercondriac.

Round 10: 100, 9, 1, 6, 9, 8. Target: 233.

C1: 234. (8 - 6) x (9 + 9 - 1 + 100) (7)
C2: 235.
RR: 234. (7)
OT: 233. (100/ (9 - 6 + 1)) x 9 + 8 (10)
Score: 65–31 (max 79)

A really tricky numbers game, which even Rachel can't solve in front of her parents, who are apparently in the audience. Grant gets slightly closer than Neil, who will need a miracle to win this now. Amazingly there are seven ways of solving this, but none of them are obvious, so top marks to anyone who managed it.

Teatime teaser: CHICNOSE -> CONCHIES

Round 11: W T B A E U S E M

C1: BEAUTS (6)
C2: ABUSE (5)
DC: BEMUSE (6)
OT: STEWBUM (7)
Score: 71–31 (max 86)

Grant's risk pays off, with the amusing sounding darren going unnoticed in the studio. STEWBUM is American informal for an alcoholic, particularly a homeless person.

Round 12: L A S D E O B X S

C1: BLADES (6)
C2: BLADES (6)
DC: ALBEDOS (7)
OT: BOLASES (7) LASSOED (7)
Score: 77–37 (max 93)

Grant seals win number five while Susie impresses with an astronomy term. It relates to the proportion of incident light reflected by a surface.

Round 13: V N T G E A I O R

C1: AVERTING (8)
C2: VINEGAR (7)
DC: VINTAGE (7) VINTAGER (8)
OT: GRAVITON (8) RAVIGOTE (8)
Score: 85–37 (max 101)

Another good spot by Grant, who is still in with a chance of claiming his second century.
In Physics, a GRAVITON is a hypothetical quantum of gravitational energy, regarded as a particle.

Round 14: 50, 75, 100, 25, 8, 3. Target: 940.

C1: 947. 100 x 8 + 75 + 25 + 50 - 3 (5)
C2: 947. 100 x 8 + 75 + 25 + 50 - 3 (5)
RR: 940. (75 x 25 + 8 - 3)/(100/50) (10)
Score: 90–42 (max 111)

Neil tries four large and both can only manage seven away. This numbers game's a dream for anyone who knows the 937.5 rule, including Rachel, who shows us how it's done.

Round 15: T A A N D O O R I

C1 buzzes on 8.5 seconds to say ADORATION which is correct.
Final Score: 100–42 (max 121)

Grant solves his third conundrum in five games and with that, registers his second century. Another polished performance by the apterite today, despite that early setback. The early promise didn't materialise for Neil who was well beaten in the end. He does sportingly acknowledge that he'd run into a very good champion though. Can Grant get the three more victories that he needs to become an octochamp on Thursday? The winners of the last SEVEN Worsley Recaps have been either past of future octochamps, so lets hope he can continue the trend.

I believe some stupid person has decided that there'll be a summer break after this week, I'm not quite sure though. As a result, I have no idea when my next recap will be but join me whenever it is, be sure of it.

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=67
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Re: Monday 13th August 2012 (Series 67, Prelim 26)

Post by David Barnard »

looks like Grant is going to octo this, that's 3 now, which is rather worrying, this isn't a spoiler though, this is just what I suspect he'll do