COGST - starting mid-September

Discussion and announcements relating to unofficial Countdown competitions, held online or in real life. Observation, discussion, reflection, and other stuff ending in -ion.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: COGST - starting mid-September

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Rich Priest wrote:
Julie T wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Julie T - when are you available for gaming? Mr Priest is on a vacation for a few days so that just leaves you in our group whom I could play against. I'm generally busy throughout the week
Hi, Kirk,

Sorry. I've just had a reminder email from Martin. I didn't realise COGST had started! :o
Evenings preferable, before 9pm if poss, but daytime could be arranged, except Mondays.
Saturdays I like to keep free, but possible if it's difficult to arrange a different time.
Sounds like a Sunday game if you're not available weekdays.

Same goes for Richard for times, but I'm flexible.

Julie
Julie/Kirk - I'm free on Friday morning if that's any good to either of you (probably not) - failing that Sat afternon after about 4pm or Sunday morning before 10am. Don't mind who I play first.
I'm playing Karen on Friday evening at 8pm (as I'm at school on weekdays during the day). I've pencilled in Saturday for 4pm when I'll give you a game. On apterous or msn? I'm happy for apterous.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:

I'm playing Karen on Friday evening at 8pm (as I'm at school on weekdays during the day). I've pencilled in Saturday for 4pm when I'll give you a game. On apterous or msn? I'm happy for apterous.
Really??? Did I know about this? As far as I'm aware, I'm playing Ben Pugh at 7pm on Friday. Or is this the start of the Plate and we're just assuming Ben will annihilate me?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Karen Pearson wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:

Really??? Did I know about this? As far as I'm aware, I'm playing Ben Pugh at 7pm on Friday. Or is this the start of the Plate and we're just assuming Ben will annihilate me?
He means Julie I think. You know, one of the women in the competition :?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Martin Gardner wrote:
He means Julie I think. You know, one of the women in the competition :?
Oh easy mistake to make. I'm sure we all look much the same!!! ;)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Karen, do you still need a host for Friday? I'm not offering to do it as it's my birthday and I am out all day! Also, Debbi F. can't play because of her Internet connection, so Ian V. has stepped in as a replacement (with the consent of the other players in the group). If you check out this link you'll see that in three groups, no games have been played. Can we get a move on, please?

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Jon O'Neill wrote: Not to worry mate - we all know how hard it can be when you're expecting a child!
That's a bit below the belt Jono :lol: . But in this case, I am NOT expecting a child - just yet ;)
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Martin Gardner wrote:Karen, do you still need a host for Friday?

Martin
I'm not sure Martin. I have this vague recollection that someone volunteered (but maybe that was the wine mixing badly with the antibiotics!!!).

If anyone is volunteering, it will be much appreciated. Otherwise, we'll just prey on some poor unsuspecting victim at the time.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

I'm playing Karen on Friday evening at 8pm (as I'm at school on weekdays during the day). I've pencilled in Saturday for 4pm when I'll give you a game. On apterous or msn? I'm happy for apterous.[/quote]

You're on Kirk.Apterous is fine by me, I haven't played on it yet but I guess there's got to be a first time!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rich Priest wrote: You're on Kirk.Apterous is fine by me, I haven't played on it yet but I guess there's got to be a first time!
I admire your adventurous spirit, but you really don't want your first time to be a tournament game - the numbers and conundrum take a little getting used to. I would definitely recommend logging in and playing a few practice games beforehand.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Wow - I meant Julie. I'm always tired at the moment, and I couldn't be bothered finding the link to the people in my group etc etc. Also, Martin, if you send emails, can you send them to hatton02@ yahoo.co.uk

I think you should put the deadline on the first post (edit the post and make it big and bold) as well as the groups and update the relevant game info. That way it is easier for everyone to see. I've forgotten the deadline for first round games and can't be bothered to trawl looking for it.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Rich Priest wrote: You're on Kirk.Apterous is fine by me, I haven't played on it yet but I guess there's got to be a first time!
I admire your adventurous spirit, but you really don't want your first time to be a tournament game - the numbers and conundrum take a little getting used to. I would definitely recommend logging in and playing a few practice games beforehand.
I wouldn't recommend practising before the match. There is absolutely no need, Rich. I'm sure you'll do fine. :roll:
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Kirk Bevins wrote: I'm always tired at the moment,

Don't worry Kirk. Only another 40 years and you can retire!!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Lol, a lot of mix-ups going on here. Right, a few things to say:

I'm due to play Steven Briers at 8pm tomorrow (Friday, I mean), and we're going to play on MSN because Steven hasn't had chance to practise on Apterous (indeed, he apparently hasn't played a competitive online Countdown game of any sort before). Is anyone available to host please?

Also I'm a bit worried about the other person in my group, Jerry Humphreys - he hasn't replied to the email I sent him on Monday, and he doesn't seem to have visited this forum since 1 September. If anyone speaks to him on MSN in the near future, can they remind him about the tournament?

Martin, if Jerry doesn't show, could we try getting someone to replace him in my and Steven's group? I was just about to suggest Ian Volante but it looks like he's already been called up as a replacement, natch... I'm not mad keen on the idea of playing the same person twice for a place in the QFs, it seems to defeat the purpose of a group-stage tournament. Anyone keen for a last-minute replacement call-up? Jim B, Corby?

Also Martin - if people aren't responding to your emails it might be because you're sending them to the wrong place - I noticed you sent one to my MSN address which I hardly ever look at. If you email to the addresses people have registered on this forum it should get a better response (that's what Jono did for COOT 08).

Finally: Charlie can you make it so that anyone can view old game details on Apterous, whether they've donated or not? I've donated but I think it's a bit rough if your average Joe who isn't going to use the site that much, and just wants to get an idea of how a future tournament opponent has been playing, has to pay £10 or £15 to do so. A couple of people have brought it up on this thread already, so I thought I'd ask here rather than in the Apterous forum. Just a thought that's all, don't bite my head off.

Oh yes and thanks to the people who went to the trouble of writing the full recaps - some good games there, more to come I hope!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Julian Fell wrote:... just wants to get an idea of how a future tournament opponent has been playing, has to pay £10 or £15 to do so.
I'd say this is a snip -- but I don't think most people take it as seriously as me. Just remember that two months ago such data didnt even exist. It was priceless.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian Fell wrote:Just a thought that's all, don't bite my head off.
Why would I bite your head off? I think you confuse my forthrightness with hostility.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Yeah probably Charlie, ok. So can anyone host me vs. Steven on MSN, 8pm tomorrow?

Jono that's exactly what I was saying, most people don't take it as seriously as you or I do. And, two months ago, you could get the details of (most) past tournament games for free on this forum; I don't think you should have to pay now. Anyway, Charlie's said in another thread that he'll make all tournament games on Apterous free to view when he gets round to it, so no worries there
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:Why would I bite your head off?
To suck out the lexonerd brainy goodness
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

How do I find out who I would next be playing, not as in person, but from which group etc, would it be?
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Damn. I appear to have had this completely by-pass me and must have missed the enrolment whilst on holiday.

If anyone would like a game at any time please let me know. I had a bit of a disaster with MSN on my one attempt so far, but would welcome the challenge.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

What Kirk and Julian have said:

Group A:

Julian Fell, Steven Briers, Jerry Humphreys

Group B:

Jono, Ian Volante, Howard Somerset

Group C:

Kirk Bevins, Julie Taylor, Richard Priest

Group D:

Charlie Reams, DOD, Dino (1 game remaining)

Group E:

Ben Pugh, Jason Culle, Karen Pearson (1 game left)

Group F:

Ben Wilson, Matt Coates, Michael Wallace (1 game left)

Group G:

Winner Paul Howe; 2nd Martin Gardner; 3rd Joseph Bolas

All games should be completed by the 24th, I'm happy for James Hurrell to replace Jerry who hasn't replied to my email either, do you agree James?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Joseph Bolas wrote:How do I find out who I would next be playing, not as in person, but from which group etc, would it be?
No more groups, once the group stage is finished there will be the 8 finalists and the plate (approx 13 people)

Martin
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:How do I find out who I would next be playing, not as in person, but from which group etc, would it be?
No more groups, once the group stage is finished there will be the 8 finalists and the plate (approx 13 people)

Martin
I hope you don't mind me asking, but how does the plate work?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Rich Priest wrote:]

Julie/Kirk - I'm free on Friday morning if that's any good to either of you (probably not) - failing that Sat afternon after about 4pm or Sunday morning before 10am. Don't mind who I play first.
I've only just seen this post, sorry, and I've PMd you!

BTW, thanks for the game this evening, Kirk, and congratulations! My first MSN Countdown game was a fun experience - I enjoyed the interaction and challenge, and great hosting from Julian :)

I don't usually surface before 10am on a Sunday. Would another time on Sunday suit? Maybe after your 4pm game on Saturday with Kirk, after a break, or would that be too much??
Alternatively, it'd have to be next week sometime.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Jerry has now got back to me so it looks like he will be playing in my and Steven's group after all - he and I will probably be playing our game on Sunday at 8pm, and I imagine it will be on MSN because I don't think Jerry's too familiar with Apterous, though I may be wrong. But if somebody could provisionally be around to host on Sunday at 8, that would be much appreciated (will confirm later).

Sorry about that James H, but if I were you I'd definitely put yourself down as standby in case anyone else drops out / doesn't show.

Also sorry to Kirk and Julie for organizing my game with Steven at the same time as you'd already arranged to play yours - I have to admit I didn't properly read your posts earlier :oops: . It led to my having to host Kirk vs. Julie before I played Steven, both of which I made a complete hash of :oops: (Julie is way too generous with her assessment btw) ... and there was me laughing at other people's mix-ups :oops:

Martin: I think what Joseph meant with his question was, do you have the draw for the knockout stages / Plate planned out as in, winner of Group A will play winner of Group D, third-place Group B will play second in Group F etc.? But as I understand it, you're just doing a free draw for the knockout stages and Plate aren't you?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Julian Fell wrote:Jerry has now got back to me so it looks like he will be playing in my and Steven's group after all - he and I will probably be playing our game on Sunday at 8pm, and I imagine it will be on MSN because I don't think Jerry's too familiar with Apterous, though I may be wrong. But if somebody could provisionally be around to host on Sunday at 8, that would be much appreciated (will confirm later).

Sorry about that James H, but if I were you I'd definitely put yourself down as standby in case anyone else drops out / doesn't show.

Also sorry to Kirk and Julie for organizing my game with Steven at the same time as you'd already arranged to play yours - I have to admit I didn't properly read your posts earlier :oops: . It led to my having to host Kirk vs. Julie before I played Steven, both of which I made a complete hash of :oops: (Julie is way too generous with her assessment btw) ... and there was me laughing at other people's mix-ups :oops:

Martin: I think what Joseph meant with his question was, do you have the draw for the knockout stages / Plate planned out as in, winner of Group A will play winner of Group D, third-place Group B will play second in Group F etc.? But as I understand it, you're just doing a free draw for the knockout stages and Plate aren't you?

Good questions.

Well I was actually planning on doing seedings for the main draw so #1 plays #8 etc. For the plate it's just going to be random, with 5 first round matches to get down to 8 players, then 4, then 2 etc.

Martin
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Players definitely through with the new results with 2 wins out of 2 are:

Kirk Bevins (group C)
Jason Cullen (group E)
Ben Wilson (group F)
Paul Howe (group G)

In first place for the 8th spot (best runner-up) is Matt Coates with 1 win and 179 points (89.5 points per game)
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

It's a touch hard to pin Jerry H down, but it looks like we will indeed be playing tonight on MSN at 8... hopefully someone can be there to host

(edit to say: looking at another thread, I know not to bother asking Charlie :) )
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Martin Gardner wrote:Players definitely through with the new results with 2 wins out of 2 are:

Kirk Bevins (group C)
Jason Cullen (group E)
Ben Wilson (group F)
Paul Howe (group G)

In first place for the 8th spot (best runner-up) is Matt Coates with 1 win and 179 points (89.5 points per game)
I have one win and 201 points.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Ben Pugh wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:Players definitely through with the new results with 2 wins out of 2 are:

Kirk Bevins (group C)
Jason Cullen (group E)
Ben Wilson (group F)
Paul Howe (group G)

I have one win and 201 points.
I don't have the score yet because I'm not a contrib member on Apterous.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Julie T wrote:
Rich Priest wrote:]

I've only just seen this post, sorry, and I've PMd you!

BTW, thanks for the game this evening, Kirk, and congratulations! My first MSN Countdown game was a fun experience - I enjoyed the interaction and challenge, and great hosting from Julian :)

I don't usually surface before 10am on a Sunday. Would another time on Sunday suit? Maybe after your 4pm game on Saturday with Kirk, after a break, or would that be too much??
Alternatively, it'd have to be next week sometime.
Monday after about 5pm would be great if you can do it.Would anyone be around to host?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Julian's now qualified in group A whatever the result of the final game in that group, so far the seed in every group has qualified in 1st position.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Rich Priest wrote:
Monday after about 5pm would be great if you can do it.Would anyone be around to host?
Rich, Monday after 5pm would be great. :)
Is anyone available to host, please?
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I still need to play my game against Charlie but will have to do it via msn so if someone could volunteer times when they can host I will try and sort a time with him.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

David O'Donnell wrote:I still need to play my game against Charlie but will have to do it via msn so if someone could volunteer times when they can host I will try and sort a time with him.
I don't mind hosting, between 5pm and 8pm on any weekday this week as Christine works then.

Martin
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David O'Donnell wrote:I still need to play my game against Charlie but will have to do it via msn so if someone could volunteer times when they can host I will try and sort a time with him.
Cheers Martin, any time is fine with me. Also I can blame losing on MSN. Woop!

Over to you David.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I don't have a great record against you, Charlie, but am happy to play tomorrow around 6:30 if that suits?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David O'Donnell wrote:I don't have a great record against you, Charlie, but am happy to play tomorrow around 6:30 if that suits?
Deal.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

If Charlie could win <88-<66 that would be great. Shit letters please Martin, but start off with an 8 to make it look convincing ;)
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Charlie, can you not let Martin be a full Apterous member even if he hasn't donated, at least for the duration of this tournament, so he can see the results? Don't want to sound too grumpy, but it's going to start getting a bit farcical if the organizer of the tournament keeps having to say "I can't see the result, can somebody copy it to me"

You were saying that it was difficult to make Apterous tournament games viewable by everyone (donor or not) - to simplify things, couldn't you just make ALL games viewable by everyone? Tbh that's the way I think it should be, but it's up to you obviously...

No games at all been played in Jono's group??? Deadline's today isn't it?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian Fell wrote:couldn't you just make ALL games viewable by everyone?
Don't you think the freeloaders get enough already? Retrieving recaps absolutely hammers the database and I don't want to encourage people to do it when they've not contributed anything in return. Obviously Martin has contributed plenty in return (time rather than money) but the permissions system is automatic.

Anyway, there's nothing farcical about tournament organisers not being able to see the scores. There was no magic way for them to find out the scores from MSN games either. People had to actually tell the organiser what was going on and that seemed to work okay. Yes, at some point I will fix the permissions so Martin can see the games. But it's fiddly and important things can break if I screw it up (e.g. people being able to read the Duel recaps before they play the Duel) so please be patient.
Julian Fell wrote:No games at all been played in Jono's group??? Deadline's today isn't it?
I think all three are scheduled for tonight.
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Well, again without wanting to sound confrontational (which I'm not), I don't think you should have a situation where people who've paid can see how players have done in previous online games and people who haven't can't, I think it's going to create a bit of a "them and us" split in tournaments and I just don't think it's in the inclusive spirit of Countdown. But oh well.

I guess that makes it all the more important that players write full old-style recaps wherever possible, and perhaps it would be good if people could post game results in this thread as they get completed (I'll make a list of results so far in a minute), to save Martin's having to ask for them
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Ok results so far:

Group A:

Julian Fell 96-86 Steven Briers
Jerry Humphreys 60-117 Julian Fell
(still to play: Briers vs. Humphreys)

Julian Fell through to quarter-finals

Group B:

(all games still to play)

Group C:

Julie Taylor 43-91 Kirk Bevins
Julie Taylor 44-100 Richard Priest
Richard Priest 26-118 Kirk Bevins

Kirk Bevins through to quarter-finals
2nd place: Richard Priest, 1 win, 126 points

Group D:

Charlie Reams 98-96 David O'Donnell
Konstadinos Sfyris 52-98 David O'Donnell
Konstadinos Sfyris 112-76 Charlie Reams

David O'Donnell through to quarter-finals
2nd place: Charlie Reams, 1 win, 174 points

Group E:

Jason Cullen 98-92 Karen Pearson
Karen Pearson 64-104 Ben Pugh
Jason Cullen 100-97 Ben Pugh

Jason Cullen through to quarter-finals
2nd place: Ben Pugh, 1 win, 201 points

Group F:

Ben Wilson 93-80 Matt Coates
Matt Coates 99-82 Michael Wallace
Michael Wallace 60-105 Ben Wilson

Ben Wilson through to quarter-finals
2nd place: Matt Coates, 1 win, 179 points

Group G:

Paul Howe 111-82 Martin Gardner
Martin Gardner 90-87 Joseph Bolas
Joseph Bolas 44-109 Paul Howe

Paul Howe through to quarter-finals
2nd place: Martin Gardner, 1 win, 172 points

... so with four group games left to play, Ben Pugh's looking good for that eighth quarter-final berth, unless the runner-up in Groups A or B can knock him off his perch...

As somebody said, the seeded player has come through every group so far except Group D, so we're not having a repeat of COOT '08 where most of the top players got knocked out early... some interesting games in prospect here for the knockout rounds
Last edited by Julian Fell on Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian Fell wrote:Well, again without wanting to sound confrontational (which I'm not), I don't think you should have a situation where people who've paid can see how players have done in previous online games and people who haven't can't, I think it's going to create a bit of a "them and us" split in tournaments and I just don't think it's in the inclusive spirit of Countdown. But oh well.
First, there are still masses of games that people can look through for free (on the wiki and on here.) Second, when you go on the programme you don't get to study your opponent's games in advance, and that seems to work out okay. Third, if people really want access to the games, it costs all of £10 to see them, and I can't imagine there are many people who can't stretch to that. And fourth, even if it did create such a split, the technical point I made above still stands.
Julian Fell wrote:I guess that makes it all the more important that players write full old-style recaps wherever possible, and perhaps it would be good if people could post game results in this thread as they get completed (I'll make a list of results so far in a minute), to save Martin's having to ask for them
Yep, I'm quite happy for people to do that. The latest results are generally available on the revelant wiki article.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Gosh. And I thought Countdown was just a game!

Am I supposed to be taking it seriously and studying form before games? Gulp!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Ok ok I get the message :lol:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julian Fell wrote:Ok ok I get the message :lol:
Now I look like the baddie. You git.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Julian's brought to my attention that Jerry and Steven haven't arranged their game. Jono, Ian and Howard are doing all three games tonight (on Apterous I hope otherwise someone will have to host 3 games in a row) which just leaves Jerry vs. Steven. Neither player's been in contact with me or been on the forum recently, so I'm willing to extent to Friday morning and if neither player has been in contact by then, the quarter-final draw will be available Friday at midday. This is just to give me enough time to email them right now and for them to email back, hopefully tomorow at the latest.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Martin Gardner wrote:Julian's brought to my attention that Jerry and Steven haven't arranged their game. Jono, Ian and Howard are doing all three games tonight (on Apterous I hope otherwise someone will have to host 3 games in a row) which just leaves Jerry vs. Steven. Neither player's been in contact with me or been on the forum recently, so I'm willing to extent to Friday morning and if neither player has been in contact by then, the quarter-final draw will be available Friday at midday. This is just to give me enough time to email them right now and for them to email back, hopefully tomorow at the latest.

Apparently the games start at 8.30 tonight on MSN, a willing host would be welcome otherwise I'll do nothing but host this evening.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:Julian's brought to my attention that Jerry and Steven haven't arranged their game. Jono, Ian and Howard are doing all three games tonight (on Apterous I hope otherwise someone will have to host 3 games in a row) which just leaves Jerry vs. Steven. Neither player's been in contact with me or been on the forum recently, so I'm willing to extent to Friday morning and if neither player has been in contact by then, the quarter-final draw will be available Friday at midday. This is just to give me enough time to email them right now and for them to email back, hopefully tomorow at the latest.

Apparently the games start at 8.30 tonight on MSN, a willing host would be welcome otherwise I'll do nothing but host this evening.
We have a magical system where we each host one game. It is really clever. I mean, really.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

So where are we - MSN or apterous? I'm happy with either, although on apterous I've had trouble with the chat failing sometimes, so I might end up silent.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

MSN. 8.30. Be there.

Add me if you want to watch -- gingerjono cat hotmail dog com.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I'll be there by 8:30, too. Got a maths lesson before that, unfortunately.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

In training?! Gawd, I'm in trouble.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Ian Volante wrote:In training?! Gawd, I'm in trouble.
Don't worry. I'm crap. :) And that's from the gf of one of my opponents in an earlier competition.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Jon O'Neill wrote:We have a magical system where we each host one game. It is really clever. I mean, really.
Yeah - just like at COLIN.

We had it all arranged to have a nice cosy threesome with Debbi, but Debbi must've got to know Jono's reputation, so pulled out.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Julian Fell wrote:Ok ok I get the message :lol:
Now I look like the baddie. You git.
Not at all. And I wasn't really having a go at Julian either. It just made me laugh because my attitude to the whole thing is so very casual. My preparation for an online game consists of going to the fridge and filling up my wineglass. :)

Those who went to CoLei may have noticed how much better I played in the afternoon after a glass of wine with lunch!

I guess it's whatever works for you - but I'll be sticking to the wine!
Last edited by Karen Pearson on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

We have our 7 group winners now, in order of seeding they are:

#1 Paul Howe
#2 Julian Fell
#3 Kirk Bevins
#4 Ben Wilson
#5 Jason Cullen
#6 David O'Donnell
#7 Jon O'Neill
#8 Ben Pugh

The only one of these that could change would be Ben Pugh. Jerry wants to play his game against Steven but Steven hasn't yet responded. Jerry needs 142 points to beat Ben Pugh, so I admit it's not that likely. And of course it would be unfair to discount Julian's win against against Steven as it was a fair win. So my current thought are to have Jerry play Julian again, but it will count for Jerry and not for Julian, as Julian has already completed both his games. If anyone can think of a fairer system, I'm open to suggestions.
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

Me and Jerry have arranged to play our game at 8pm tomorrow (Friday) if that's okay.

Sorry about the lateness. :oops:
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Steven Briers wrote:Me and Jerry have arranged to play our game at 8pm tomorrow (Friday) if that's okay.

Sorry about the lateness. :oops:
I'd rather that you do it tonight if possible but that's ok yes, don't forget that there's the plate competition for the people that don't make the QFs of the main draw.
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

I'm available to play tonight if Jerry wishes to do the game tonight. I'll try and contact him to find out.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.