Getting TV show tickets that you don't want/can't attend

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Getting TV show tickets that you don't want/can't attend

Post by Jon Corby »

You could also include other things that you've bought or applied for, but either don't want or can't use. Perhaps you've booked to test-drive a new BMW in Perthshire, but then remembered that you don't live anywhere near there, and don't drive anyway.

Here's a handy thread for them all, to avoid cluttering up other random threads.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Getting TV show tickets that you don't want/can't attend

Post by Matt Morrison »

I once got two tickets to a regional-level MMA event being held near Exeter. They were from my brother who was bought them as a present from work but couldn't go as was double-booked. I was going to invite Heather down to go with me but laughed it off as that would have been a ridiculous scenario to meet each other in for the first time. In the end decided to go with a local friend but he got to my house late and we ended up just getting high on the seafront instead.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:I once got two tickets to a regional-level MMA event being held near Exeter. They were from my brother who was bought them as a present from work but couldn't go as was double-booked. I was going to invite Heather down to go with me but laughed it off as that would have been a ridiculous scenario to meet each other in for the first time. In the end decided to go with a local friend but he got to my house late and we ended up just getting high on the seafront instead.
Where did you meet for the first time? Yes that's "meet" not "meat", Matt.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I've got a letter here that I've just written. It's beautifully presented in handwritten fountain pen ink, on deluxe watermarked stationery. It opens with an apology to the intended recipient - Auntie Mabel - for not having written for so long, and then continues to describe how her nephews George and Hector are growing up fast, and the things they've been doing, complete with attached photographs where referenced. It concludes with an invitation to join us all for New Years celebrations in West Lothian.

However, I've got no Auntie Mabel, and I don't know any of the people mentioned in the letter or the photographs. So it's really not of any use to me whatsoever.

If anyone on the forum wants it, PM me please. No timewasters.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Where did you meet for the first time? Yes that's "meet" not "meat", Matt.
She came down to see me in Teignmouth. She was waiting for me outside the train station because I was two minutes late.
To be fair the answer for when we meated is the same as when we met - just that time I was two minutes early instead of two minutes late.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

I am officially giving up all 6 tickets for Time Vine in Richmond (so I won't be there)
The link for the ticket is.......
Last edited by Marc Meakin on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Marc Meakin wrote:I am officially giving up all 6 tickets for Time Vine in Richmond (so I won't be there)
The link for the ticket is http://www.applausestore.com/online-tic ... ee3fe1b34a
I hope they go to a good home.
Btw it might be useful for the first person to follow the link and print the tickets to post they have done so (chance for a bit of mischief JC) lol.
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

I've not got any unwanted tickets, but I presume that this thread will probably be read by those who like to go to see TV recordings.

The first TV show I went to see recorded was Countdown, but since then I've seen Would I Lie To You?, Not Going Out, QI, Argumental and others.

Last week I went to see a recording of a radio show for the first time, at BBC Broadcasting House in Portland Place. It was Elvenquest (fantasy comedy with Stephen Mangan), which will be on Radio 4 in November.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ElvenQuest

My point is, that I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did my companions, and I recommend not ignoring radio shows when applying for tickets. In particular, the radio theatre was very plush and comfortable, and we weren't made to feel like cattle as much as you are at TV recordings. They even had a bar/cafe to wait in beforehand and during the interval in the middle (yes! interval!!) - very civilized, it was rather like going to a real theatre. :)

In short - give radio a go! Elvenquest recordings are done for this year, but obviously there are other shows.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/tickets/
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Jon Corby wrote:Here's a handy thread
Jon Corby, a couple of hours later, wrote:I've got a letter here that I've just written. It's beautifully presented in handwritten fountain pen ink [...]
However, I've got no Auntie Mabel, and I don't know any of the people mentioned in the letter or the photographs. So it's really not of any use to me whatsoever.

Fancy setting a thread up just to make a joke and then no-one even comments on it because it's so tragic.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Here's a handy thread
Jon Corby, a couple of hours later, wrote:I've got a letter here that I've just written. It's beautifully presented in handwritten fountain pen ink [...]

Fancy setting a thread up just to make a joke and then no-one even comments on it because it's so tragic.
I'm more likely to comment on a tragic post than on a funny post. Oh look, it just happened.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Nice try Jono, but my feelings are all hurt now.

:(

:cry:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Woah, Gillard's gone nuts! Did you provoke him with horrible private messages Corby?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:Woah, Gillard's gone nuts! Did you provoke him with horrible private messages Corby?
No, I don't know what he was doing really.

It just comes across as really mean-spirited and unnecessary to goad somebody like that. Naturally you're already going to be feeling quite embarrassed when that happens, so for somebody to then pop up and draw attention back to it, well... I just don't know what would motivate them. It's just spiteful.

To be honest, I don't think I really want to be part of a forum where people have such little regard for each other's feelings. This could well be my last post.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Sorry, Jon (Corby). I suppose nobody cottoned on that the first thread (one of the few) that I ever made was a tragic failure and I was trying to be self-deprecating at the same time. I didn't mean to insult you personally, but reading it back I supplied no context whatsoever and was a complete arse. My apologies. I think maybe I should stop posting on the forum if I'm just going to become a (more) bitter, twisted individual and say daft things. I'll try to restrict my posts to tournament threads, feature requests and bug reports for now (apart from further replies and apologies on this thread). I might even try talking to people in real life to fill the void.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Keep it up. I like the new bitter Gillard. I'm hoping you're going to go as far as use a naughty word soon.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Matt Morrison wrote:I'm hoping you're going to go as far as use a naughty word soon.
Adam Gillard wrote:arse
What have I become?

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Don't encourage him Matt, it's not funny. He needs to have a long, hard think about what he's done.

(Hey, I guess that wasn't my last post!)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon Corby wrote:Don't encourage him Matt, it's not funny. He needs to have a long, hard think about what he's done.

Ok, I'll let the two of you beat this one out without giving you a hand.

(You said "long, hard" and then I said "beat this one out without giving you a hand.")
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Don't encourage him Matt, it's not funny. He needs to have a long, hard think about what he's done.

Ok, I'll let the two of you beat this one out without giving you a hand.

(You said "long, hard" and then I said "beat this one out without giving you a hand.")
I sincerely hope somebody (I'd do it, but it'd be too obviously out of sympathy) comes along and laughs at your "joke", otherwise it could come back to haunt you in a few months' time. Haunt you like a 4-0 drubbing at White Hart Lane.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Jon Corby wrote:Haunt you like a 4-0 drubbing at White Hart Lane.
That's it, I'm leaving.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Haunt you like a 4-0 drubbing at White Hart Lane.
That's it, I'm leaving.
I didn't respond because I'd already left. But I just came back to confirm that I had left, and that I'm now leaving again.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

bunch of nutters! :roll: :D :D
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

That's it, you're all colonned from ban:ned.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Michael Wallace wrote:That's it, you're all colonned from ban:ned.
This is gonna be awkward when we turn up, not knowing we've been banned.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I quit.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

3 tickets to Russell Howard's Good News TOMORROW 22/11/11 at Riverside Studios, Hammersmith.

We suddenly can't go, since son has important assignment to finish.

Doors open at 6pm, and, as these are NOT priority tickets, i.e. you might not get in as they over-subscribe, I would say that it's probably not worth asking for the tickets unless you can get there before 5pm, on past experience of queueing for these sorts of things.

Please email, not PM, if interested, so I can easily email you back with scan of ticket. I'll check my emails about 10pm, and then again tomorrow morning. I know it's short notice, so if no-one claims the tickets by 11am tomorrow morning (Tuesday), I'll cancel them so I don't get a reputation for not turning up.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Julie T wrote:3 tickets to Russell Howard's Good News TOMORROW 22/11/11 at Riverside Studios, Hammersmith.

We suddenly can't go, since son has important assignment to finish.

Doors open at 6pm, and, as these are NOT priority tickets, i.e. you might not get in as they over-subscribe, I would say that it's probably not worth asking for the tickets unless you can get there before 5pm, on past experience of queueing for these sorts of things.

Please email, not PM, if interested, so I can easily email you back with scan of ticket. I'll check my emails about 10pm, and then again tomorrow morning. I know it's short notice, so if no-one claims the tickets by 11am tomorrow morning (Tuesday), I'll cancel them so I don't get a reputation for not turning up.
I thought it was probably a bit short notice for anyone to be interested. No-one replied, so I cancelled the tickets.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Julie T wrote:
Julie T wrote:3 tickets to Russell Howard's Good News TOMORROW 22/11/11 at Riverside Studios, Hammersmith.
I thought it was probably a bit short notice for anyone to be interested. No-one replied, so I cancelled the tickets.
Not short notice, just rather a long way for us to travel on a midweek evening. If I see Russ walking home from the station later I'll tell him you were sorry not to make it. 8-)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Julie T wrote:
Not short notice, just rather a long way for us to travel on a midweek evening. If I see Russ walking home from the station later I'll tell him you were sorry not to make it. 8-)
I think there are a fair few c4cers who live in or near London, though, Phil, so worth me posting I reckon.

Agree with you about travelling. It always amazes me when the warm up guy at TV shows asks where people have come from, and it's sometimes the other end of the country! :o
One guy got a hug from David Walliams after making a long trip to see "Wall of Fame". Not a show I'd've gone to see if it hadn't been just down the road in Elstree I must say.
I went to see a recording of "Not going out" in BBCTV centre last year, and one group were from Glasgow. Crazy. The recording overran and they had to leave early to catch their train. Still, I've travelled up to Leeds, then Manchester to see Countdown recordings, so I suppose it depends how much of a fan you are.

BTW, I don't recommend going to see a sitcom recording - far too many retakes.

I am disappointed not to see Russ actually. One of the reasons we didn't go is that I tried to have the tickets converted to priority ones but got no reply to my emails, and there was no phone number to ring. I have arthritis, so find standing more than 20 minutes in a queue difficult, so usually ask. Plus as I hadn't been to that studio before I needed to know where the nearest car parks were - too much walking involved in public transport for my poor knees!
If we'd've known where to park, and been able to aim for the 6:30pm deadline for priority tickets, we could have gone after Philip's college day ended.

Do you actually know Russ, then, or just know he lives in Leamington? 8-)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Julie T wrote:BTW, I don't recommend going to see a sitcom recording - far too many retakes.
I've always enjoyed them, just as a chance to observe the process of how what you see in the studio translates into what ends up on screen.
Plus as I hadn't been to [Riverside Studios] before I needed to know where the nearest car parks were - too much walking involved in public transport for my poor knees!
I went there once to see Lee and Herring's TMWRNJ. Going by Google Streetview there's metered street parking right outside, but the nearest car park looks to be some way away.
He lives a couple of streets away but I don't know him to speak to other than gurning inanely like a lovesick fanboy and saying "Hi!" when I see him, usually as he's wheeling his little overnight case to or from the station. He's always very polite and says "Hi!" back. My other half tends to see rather more of him (in all senses) as they go to the same gym.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Julie T wrote:BTW, I don't recommend going to see a sitcom recording - far too many retakes.
I've always enjoyed them, just as a chance to observe the process of how what you see in the studio translates into what ends up on screen.
Probably your thesp background helping there. But admittedly my opinion was rather skewed by the fact that they did last minute changes to the studio before we went in, and so we were left standing outside in the cold for 2 hours! They could've at least brought us into the waiting area.
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Plus as I hadn't been to [Riverside Studios] before I needed to know where the nearest car parks were - too much walking involved in public transport for my poor knees!
I went there once to see Lee and Herring's TMWRNJ. Going by Google Streetview there's metered street parking right outside, but the nearest car park looks to be some way away.
Thanks. Yes, if it had just been the parking issue I would have found out by other means.
Phil Reynolds wrote:
He lives a couple of streets away but I don't know him to speak to other than gurning inanely like a lovesick fanboy and saying "Hi!" when I see him, usually as he's wheeling his little overnight case to or from the station. He's always very polite and says "Hi!" back. My other half tends to see rather more of him (in all senses) as they go to the same gym.
A good excuse to join yourself maybe?! :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Me and H went to the absolute shitfest that was Richard Bacon's Beer and Pizza Club many months ago, on the premise that we'd be guaranteed X-Factor finals tickets. Obviously that doesn't appeal to me, but she fancied it, so we did our shit, went along to Richard Bacon and then didn't hear anything for ages.

I started emailing Applause Store through their website, they are a bunch of twats and just don't bother responding to anything, so when I noticed they had a Twitter handle a week or two back I started publicly calling them out on there with a bit of abuse. Lo and behold, their customer service division suddenly kicked into gear and I am now in possession of 4 tickets to the X-Factor finals on Saturday December 3rd (a bonus as only 2 of the 4 tickets to Richard Bacon's Shit and Bollocks Fest actually were used.

Anyway, turns out, perhaps unsurprisingly, that for the 18:20-18:50 doors you really want to be queueing up by 4pm at the latest to guarantee yourself entry to the studio.
Neither of us can be even close to bothered to do this.

So does anyone want four tickets to the X-Factor finals? Just let me know.
It's at The Fountain Studios, Wembley, HA9 8HQ.
Minimum age 12 (ID required for under 16s) and no scruffy dress.

Hopefully someone will want them as I put in a shit ton of complaining in order to get them! Ah well.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Anyway, turns out, perhaps unsurprisingly, that for the 18:20-18:50 doors you really want to be queueing up by 4pm at the latest to guarantee yourself entry to the studio.

Hopefully someone will want them as I put in a shit ton of complaining in order to get them! Ah well.

Maybe I should join twitter! Because of my arthritis, and walking with sticks now, once I actually get a reply from audience wranglers, I usually get priority tickets.

Have you tried to get yours converted to priority, Matt? Especially after all the complaining you had to do to get the tickets, you do have an angle for special treatment IMHO. Worth a go.

X Factor my idea of hell BTW, but each to their own.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:I am now in possession of 4 tickets to the X-Factor finals on Saturday December 3rd.
Are you sure those are for the finals :?: I thought the final was on the 17th.

I know someone who would definitely be interested in them, and just a quick phone call will confirm this. 8-)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

YES PLEASE ON THE X FACTOR TICKETS MATT YOU ABSOLUTE HERO!!!!

For my missus & daughter, obviously, not me.

Go Little Mix.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

James Robinson wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I am now in possession of 4 tickets to the X-Factor finals on Saturday December 3rd.
Are you sure those are for the finals :?: I thought the final was on the 17th.

I know someone who would definitely be interested in them, and just a quick phone call will confirm this. 8-)
Just rang her up, she says YES. 8-) (although I don't think it's that cool, personally.)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

These are "the finals" now James.

Oh, and tell your friend that I got there first (I was already on the blower to MWM before your post, sorry)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah sorry James, Jon took them with the swift act of a phonecall about twenty minutes ago. Good thinking that man!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah sorry James, Jon took them with the swift act of a phonecall about twenty minutes ago. Good thinking that man!
Oh well, never mind. That'll teach me for starting the spoiler thread at about the same time. :lol:

P.S. For future reference, I should really get your phone number, in case there are any other tickets that you might be giving away that would interest me or my friends. :idea:
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:I am now in possession of 4 tickets to the X-Factor finals on Saturday December 3rd
Er, that's the semi-final. Someone's fobbed you off.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I am now in possession of 4 tickets to the X-Factor finals on Saturday December 3rd
As I already said above, these are "the finals" already, have been since the live shows started. The last 16 are "the finalists", etc. etc.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
As I already said above, these are "the finals" already, have been since the live shows started. The last 16 are "the finalists", etc. etc.
Same weekend as the FA Cup finals.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Er, that's the semi-final. Someone's fobbed you off.
Same weekend as the FA Cup finals.
Well no, nobody calls them that. The World Cup Finals last for a month or so though.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

True. I concede.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Matt Morrison wrote:Anyway, turns out, perhaps unsurprisingly, that for the 18:20-18:50 doors you really want to be queueing up by 4pm at the latest to guarantee yourself entry to the studio.

I don't blame you, but why would you need to queue so early to "guarantee" entry for a show you've already got a ticket for? Or do they oversubscribe it?
Matt Morrison wrote:Minimum age 12 (ID required for under 16s)
How do they tell if you're under 16?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

David Williams wrote:True. I concede.
Even though you've conceded, I think an example closer to home is the Countdown Finals.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah, thanks Jon and Jono. Was pretty surprised at people not understanding the concept of "finals" vs. "final".
Graeme Cole wrote:I don't blame you, but why would you need to queue so early to "guarantee" entry for a show you've already got a ticket for? Or do they oversubscribe it?
Graeme - yes they oversubscribe these things. You can kind of understand it, they obviously HAVE to have a full audience so it looks good on the telly, and when the tickets are free people are obviously going to be more inclined to not bother going with no warning (I've done this a couple of times with other shows). It's never clear just how heavily they oversubscribe, but certainly with a show like X-Factor where the fans are hordes of freaky obsessive types the oversubscribing is going to be more of a 'cover our asses' requirement and is never going to come into play when people love that shit so much, the fever sets in and it only takes a hundred of those dickheads to start queueing at lunchtime before everyone has to.
Graeme Cole wrote:
If it's the same way I do it, it involves a penis and waiting by the door to see if a court summons turns up. But then that's pretty inconvenient for a TV show queue, so ID is a good backup option.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Graeme Cole wrote:
If it's the same way I do it, it involves a penis and waiting by the door to see if a court summons turns up. But then that's pretty inconvenient for a TV show queue, so ID is a good backup option.
So you have to show ID to show you don't have to show ID?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah, thanks Jon and Jono. Was pretty surprised at people not understanding the concept of "finals" vs. "final".
"Finals" is such a shit term though for the knockout stages of a tournament.

Not that the X-Factor is a proper tournament like that anyway - obviously they knockout one each week (probably - I don't watch it) - but not in the normal way. Since "finals" really only applies to the football world cup and some losers (yeah, you guys on here) just happen to carry it over to other tournaments, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a valid usage to apply it to a different style of tournament altogether (X-Factor).

I think it's probably just a stupid inflation thing to make something sound bigger than it is, like Division 1 in football is probably the 7th division by now.

And while I'm at it, Phil, I don't like your use of semi-final either. In an X-Factor style thing, the penultimate round has no right to be called a semi-final. There has to be two of them, with different people in each!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah, thanks Jon and Jono. Was pretty surprised at people not understanding the concept of "finals" vs. "final".
Fair enough, but I think if someone offered me "X Factor finals tickets" without any other qualification I'd jump to the conclusion that it was for The Final. My own lookout for failing to caveat emptor I suppose.
Gavin Chipper wrote:And while I'm at it, Phil, I don't like your use of semi-final either. In an X-Factor style thing, the penultimate round has no right to be called a semi-final. There has to be two of them, with different people in each!
I don't think a dictionary definition of semi-final would be quite as strict as you're implying, but anyway it's not my use of semi-final, it's The X Factor's.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Please bring earplugs, as the one time I went I had to bring earplugs. Not for the singers, but for all the screaming girls in the audience.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Since "finals" really only applies to the football world cup and some losers just happen to carry it over to other tournaments, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a valid usage to apply it to a different style of tournament altogether (X-Factor).
Just like Phil with his "semi-final", I'll make it clear again this is the X-Factor's terminology not mine.

I've generally been opposed to the use of "finals" for "the stage between preliminaries and THE final" in the past, but now that I think about it, what else do you call them?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Since "finals" really only applies to the football world cup and some losers just happen to carry it over to other tournaments, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say it's a valid usage to apply it to a different style of tournament altogether (X-Factor).
Just like Phil with his "semi-final", I'll make it clear again this is the X-Factor's terminology not mine.

I've generally been opposed to the use of "finals" for "the stage between preliminaries and THE final" in the past, but now that I think about it, what else do you call them?
Well using the same logic that you remove an "s" to progress a round, you could equally call it "the preliminary". But I dunno - in the X-Factor, I'd call it the dull bit where they drag it out to comedic proportions, eliminating just one act each week. I concede that that's a bit long but you could shorten it to TDBWTDIOTCPEJOAEW, which I think is quite catchy.

But as for more normal competitions, I'm not sure if there needs to be a standard name. In football, the finals have their own preliminary stage anyway, so what do you call the knockout part of that? The double finals? I'm not sure you can legislate for all possible types of competition.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Just thought I'd point out that the tickets aren't transferable, so unless anyone has photo ID proving that they're Matt Morrison, they can't use the tickets.

THANKS FOR THAT MATT.

Actually, I also blame Calvin Harris, as it's probably his fault that security is so tight for the X Factor. And as Deeks looks like him, I blame Deeks.

Pair of twats.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Jon Corby wrote:Just thought I'd point out that the tickets aren't transferable, so unless anyone has photo ID proving that they're Matt Morrison, they can't use the tickets.

THANKS FOR THAT MATT.

Actually, I also blame Calvin Harris, as it's probably his fault that security is so tight for the X Factor. And as Deeks looks like him, I blame Deeks.

Pair of twats.
Unlucky, Jon. I've been to shedloads of TV recordings and have never been asked for ID alongside the ticket. Only once has it been someone else's ticket, though, when a friend decided a Radio 2 concert at the O2 wasn't in fact worth travelling down from Scotland for.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Julie T wrote:Unlucky, Jon. I've been to shedloads of TV recordings and have never been asked for ID alongside the ticket. Only once has it been someone else's ticket, though, when a friend decided a Radio 2 concert at the O2 wasn't in fact worth travelling down from Scotland for.
Yeah, it seems they're a bit more stringent here, according to a chat I found on another forum. They photo ID the named ticket holder and any kids (to make sure they're over 12). Compound this with another anecdote from somebody who started queueing just after 9am (for a 6pm door) and still didn't get in, and it's not even worth trying it on.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

I suppose it can fit in this thread:

I have a spare ticket for a recording of A Question Of Sport at MediaCityUK, Salford on the 20th (next Friday) at 2:30pm.

Anyone fancy a seat with me :?:
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Recently I returned from holiday to find that I'd won a case for an iPhone 4 in a charity raffle at work.

I don't have an iPhone 4, or any iPhone, or any Apple product of any description apart from the fruit. I don't anticipate this changing. So I've put it on eBay.

Griffin Chilewich hard case for iPhone 4

So if you've got an iPhone 4, and you want a case for it, and you like that curious criss-cross weave finish on it, it's there for you to bid on it. It's in perfect condition and has never been used. The sale price will go back to the charity, and I'll cover the postage cost. What's not to like?