The C4C Gaelic Football Thread

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Lee Kelly
Rookie

Re: The C4C Gaelic Football Thread

Post by Lee Kelly »

LOL found that very funny!
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

Kildare absolutely destroyed Laois today. While we've always had a good short passing game (Kildare invented the hand pass), poor long range shooting has been a feature of Kildare teams down the years. Today our guys picked off points from distance as if they were Kerrymen. I know it's still early days yet, but I've just got a feeling that this could possibly, maybe, be our year. We're due one.
James Doohan
Enthusiast

Post by James Doohan »

Liam Tiernan wrote:Kildare absolutely destroyed Laois today. While we've always had a good short passing game (Kildare invented the hand pass), poor long range shooting has been a feature of Kildare teams down the years
You haven't watched too much of our lads play because for as long as I can remember it seems to be against the team instructions to kick the ball. Can't say that I have ever associated Kildare with the hand pass and Mick O'Dwyer wouldn't stand for that kind of rubbish either. You're dead right on the long range shooting though, probably the second worst offenders in that category behind the poor waywards from Mayo.
Liam Tiernan wrote:Today our guys picked off points from distance as if they were Kerrymen. I know it's still early days yet, but I've just got a feeling that this could possibly, maybe, be our year. We're due one.
Kildare have steadily improved over the last 3/4 years and really should have been in last years All-Ireland final. They were robbed by a disgraceful refereeing decision in Croke Park a few weeks ago but were seriously impressive last night, playing some wonderful football and wracked up a massive score in the process. Last nights Kildare game and Derry's game against Armagh were easily the two best performances in the championship so far this year. Kildare are contenders for this years championship and no-one will want to face them in the next round of the qualifiers
Liam Tiernan
Devotee

Post by Liam Tiernan »

James Doohan wrote:
Can't say that I have ever associated Kildare with the hand pass and Mick O'Dwyer wouldn't stand for that kind of rubbish either. You're dead right on the long range shooting though, probably the second worst offenders in that category behind the poor waywards from Mayo.
True, Micko hated the short passing game and spent a lot of time training the players to kick rather than handpass, but for years beforehand it was a Kildare trademark. In the 70's it was so bad that a running joke here was that if the handpass rule was ever abolished, we'd all have to take up hurling.
Kildare have steadily improved over the last 3/4 years and really should have been in last years All-Ireland final. They were robbed by a disgraceful refereeing decision in Croke Park a few weeks ago but were seriously impressive last night, playing some wonderful football and wracked up a massive score in the process. Last nights Kildare game and Derry's game against Armagh were easily the two best performances in the championship so far this year. Kildare are contenders for this years championship and no-one will want to face them in the next round of the qualifiers
Another feature of Kildare teams down the years has been their tendency to fade away in the final quarter. (Another running joke: usually at about the 15 minute mark in the second half somebody might ask "How far are we ahead?" If the answer was 8 points or less the reply was "Not far enough"). I don't know if it's down to fitness levels or some kind of McGeeney mojo, but he seems to have cured them of the habit.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

The football final is on right now, with underdogs Dublin currently leading Kerry by a point, 0-05 to 1-01. After yesterday's rugby result the atmosphere must be buzzing in Dublin. It's close to half time but the second half should be good if you can find a web stream.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

The Minor Final was really, really good, so here's hoping this one is just as good.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

MENTAL! What a final!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Great to see so many people stay in the stadium. Wonderful scenes.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Pretty good match - I was pissed off though as I claimed the Dubs are fucked now and went to the bog, only to come back to see I'd missed them score five points...
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

I'm assuming that James Doohan has managed to sneak a ticket, seeing as he hasn't been online this morning. Should be a good game.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Who are you going for Andy? I'm hoping Donegal take it, been saying the'd win since the Ulster semi-final.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Not even watching it to be honest lad. Gonna catch the second half there. I'd love to see Donegal take it, for the aforementioned Mr Doohan and another old friend from the hills, but hope it's a good game and wouldn't be sorry to see Mayo win. I lost my virginity in Castlebar, and I had my first pint of stout there. What a weekend that was.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Fair play to Donegal. Hard to respond for Mayo I suppose going 2 goals down so early. Glad to see Donegal win it!