Think Different: Test Run

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Jordan F
Kiloposter

Think Different: Test Run

Post by Jordan F »

Oh hi everybody,

I would like to test run a game here called Think Different, which other people created and successfully used on another forum I frequent. The rules: For each question, you must come up with a correct answer that you think the least number of participants in this game will say. When the game is scored, for every correct answer you give, you will score one point for every person who said that answer, including you. For every incorrect answer you give, you will receive twice the score of the most popular answer. The person with the lowest score overall wins. Lookign up answers and other cheating=bad.

PM me answers here on C4 to these questions (Possibly easier, and definitely shorter than they could be in future runs, but again this is only a test) You'll have until 11:59 PM UK time on Wednesday to submit:

1. Name any person who has won a series of Countdown in the United Kingdom from 2000 onward.

2. Name an element on the periodic table of elements that has an atomic number which is a perfect square.

3. Name any country that has ever been the runner up in a FIFA Men's World Cup. For any former nations, you must use the name of the nation at the time they won the cup.

4. Name a word valid in Scrabble that does not contain any vowels or the letter y.

5.As listed by Wikipedia, name a soloist on the original version of "We Are The World."

Any questions, let me know.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Re: Think Different: Test Run

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

You mentioned on chat I was the only one to reply to this, was that still the case in the end?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

It's a nice idea, I just didn't bother as I'm not clever enough to give decent answers in 1, 2, and 5.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

I also wouldn't be able to come up for answers for 2 or 5 without Google ('We Are the World" wtf? (I'm clearly ignorant!)). And as for 4 I know very few and they are all two letters long so that would be crap for me.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Well I would have gone for GRRRL but apparently that's not Scrabble-valid so there we go, sums that up.

Also, I should have pointed out that not having any decent answers for 1 is not an example of not being clever and I shouldn't have grouped it in with more respectable questions like 2 and 5.
Steve Balog
Acolyte

Post by Steve Balog »

Yea, this is a game that is played a LOT at the poker forums I post on -- usually there's more questions in a round, and the questions are more accessible.

I can give maybe 3 answers for the first question, 3 for the 2nd (the 3 easiest ones), and quite a few for number 4, but I only think I know the last one for the 3rd, and I have no idea at all for question 5.

I would definitely play this, but generally less specific knowledge is better for this game.
There are no such things as methods. Only madness.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

List for Q4 is accessible here.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I was going to bother but then couldn't name any for 5, so that kinda lost my interest. I find 2 interesting, since before I deliberately memorised the periodic table a few months ago I think I would have only known one answer.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Matt Morrison wrote:It's a nice idea, I just didn't bother as I'm not clever enough to give decent answers in 1, 2, and 5.
Ryan Taylor wrote:I also wouldn't be able to come up for answers for 2 or 5 without Google ('We Are the World" wtf?
Steve Balog wrote:I have no idea at all for question 5.
Michael Wallace wrote:I was going to bother but then couldn't name any for 5
I'm amazed if none of you could even have an educated guess at no. 5, pretty much any major American pop star of the mid-1980s would have done. Has "We Are The World" just been forgotten? I should add that it deserves to be forgotten, it was an even worse song than the UK effort and that's saying something. Maybe this is an age thing.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

JimBentley wrote: I'm amazed if none of you could even have an educated guess at no. 5, pretty much any major American pop star of the mid-1980s would have done. Has "We Are The World" just been forgotten? I should add that it deserves to be forgotten, it was an even worse song than the UK effort and that's saying something. Maybe this is an age thing.
Definitely an age thing. My guess is Madonna. She was around in the 80's right?
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Definitely an age thing. My guess is Madonna. She was around in the 80's right?
Bit early, it was just before she became massive in America (although she was already a pretty big star in the UK, America are always slower). Actually now I actually read the fucking question properly, "soloists" does make it a lot harder. But still, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, etc., plenty to go at.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

JimBentley wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Definitely an age thing. My guess is Madonna. She was around in the 80's right?
Bit early, it was just before she became massive in America (although she was already a pretty big star in the UK, America are always slower). Actually now I actually read the fucking question properly, "soloists" does make it a lot harder. But still, Michael Jackson, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, etc., plenty to go at.
Thing is, with a game like this I thought the fun was in having at least a number of options available to you and trying to second-guess other people, if you don't know any for sure, then it's basically just a blind guessing game, which seems to defeat the point (at least for me). I'm going to go and listen to that song now though so I can feel slightly less ignorant (not sarcasm - I knew when I read it I should have been able to name some).
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Just spotted this and answered them all (possibly wrongly), but it seems like I'm a week behind. We still in action?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

Joseph Krol wrote:List for Q4 is accessible here.
As W is a vowel in Welsh, CWM & CRWTH aren't really vowel-less :? :geek: