Countdown Corral fudged?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Countdown Corral fudged?

Post by Martin Gardner »

Is the Corral not working for everyone or just for me? I was trying to do some letters selections to practise for the next tournament.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Re: Countdown Corral fudged?

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:Is the Corral not working for everyone or just for me? I was trying to do some letters selections to practise for the next tournament.

Martin
Its not working for me either :(

It just comes up with a HTP Error 404 page.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Same for me too :cry: . In order for me to get on here, I have to click on a link from my hotmail account which directly goes to my PM inbox. Its error 1500 i think (whatever that means)
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

It is quite frustrating :x
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Why would it not be working?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I was planning a slightly more organised announcement than this, but oh well. Both sooreams.com and the Countdown Corral are going away for a bit, with a view to a redesign and relaunch, hopefully in September. As a stopgap measure, I'm hosting a rather unsightly version of CountGen on apterous.org. If there are other specifics that you need in the near future then please let me know.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:I was planning a slightly more organised announcement than this, but oh well. Both sooreams.com and the Countdown Corral are going away for a bit, with a view to a redesign and relaunch, hopefully in September. As a stopgap measure, I'm hosting a rather unsightly version of CountGen on apterous.org. If there are other specifics that you need in the near future then please let me know.
It might be a stupid question but why does it need to go down for you to redesign it? It's not a physical thing like a kitchen so surely changes can be made offline while leaving up the older version, no?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: It might be a stupid question but why does it need to go down for you to redesign it? It's not a physical thing like a kitchen so surely changes can be made offline while leaving up the older version, no?
It's not a stupid question, but I think you (and most people) don't realise how much it costs me to keep the site up - currently around £160 p/a, and rising with each new domain name that I use. My subscription has come up for renewal and I can't afford that right now, so I decided it was time to redesign the whole site around a much cheaper infrastructure. The result will be cheaper, faster and generally much better.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Charlie Reams wrote:I was planning a slightly more organised announcement than this, but oh well. Both sooreams.com and the Countdown Corral are going away for a bit, with a view to a redesign and relaunch, hopefully in September. As a stopgap measure, I'm hosting a rather unsightly version of CountGen on apterous.org. If there are other specifics that you need in the near future then please let me know.
Hi Charlie

I was wondering what had happened to it!

Any chance of a version of the Recap Writer being made available?

Mike.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I understand you, Charlie.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Sorry to be awkward, but I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting a grey screen when I try to load up the game. Do I need any specific settings to view the game?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Is that the wonder why the Current Recaps section of this forum hasn't been updated?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:It's not a stupid question, but I think you (and most people) don't realise how much it costs me to keep the site up - currently around £160 p/a, and rising with each new domain name that I use. My subscription has come up for renewal and I can't afford that right now, so I decided it was time to redesign the whole site around a much cheaper infrastructure. The result will be cheaper, faster and generally much better.
OK, that's fine. Well done on the site generally by the way - it's an excellent Countdown tool, as is this forum. I'll stop now because this is out of character.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm wondering if that's why the Recap section of this forum hasn't been updated in two weeks.

If so, where is the best place to discuss the most recent episodes of Countdown?
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:I'm wondering if that's why the Recap section of this forum hasn't been updated in two weeks.

If so, where is the best place to discuss the most recent episodes of Countdown?
Here!! But perhaps in the spoilers section. You can watch the episodes on 4oD
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kirk, I watch Countdown on UK Nova, but here are my opinions about Countdown for the last few days!

Jeremy! Five stones! I thought they used pounds and ounces in Britain!

That was astonishing that Alex Horne met people from 189 of the 192 UN countries! What a close game, too! Alex is a very funny man, and I'm glad he won his first game!

Poor Maralyn! Alex really stopped her in her tracks! I'm glad she won her first game, though.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Get the spoilers out of this thread you prick.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Charlie Reams wrote:
It's not a stupid question, but I think you (and most people) don't realise how much it costs me to keep the site up - currently around £160 p/a, and rising with each new domain name that I use. My subscription has come up for renewal and I can't afford that right now, so I decided it was time to redesign the whole site around a much cheaper infrastructure. The result will be cheaper, faster and generally much better.
Why don't you ask for some contributions? I'm sure plenty of us would stump up a fiver to keep the site going. (You might even make a profit!)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mike Brown wrote:Any chance of a version of the Recap Writer being made available?
http://apterous.org/recapwriter.php
Karen Pearson wrote: Why don't you ask for some contributions? I'm sure plenty of us would stump up a fiver to keep the site going. (You might even make a profit!)
Watch this space.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I suppose it's no coincidence that you want to put the Corral back up in September, at the same time that you should get your student loan? In fairness no I hadn't really thought about the cost, so well done for putting in the effort where others might not. Keep up the good work.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Mike Brown wrote:Any chance of a version of the Recap Writer being made available?
http://apterous.org/recapwriter.php

Charlie, you're a star. Thanks for that. I will attempt to get Tuesday's recap done tomorrow evening.

Cheers

Mike (searches his wallet for a fiver towards the Corral...)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:I suppose it's no coincidence that you want to put the Corral back up in September, at the same time that you should get your student loan? In fairness no I hadn't really thought about the cost, so well done for putting in the effort where others might not. Keep up the good work.
Thanks :) It is a coincidence though, I don't get paid til the end of October :(
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

This link doesn't seem to work anymore, is there any working version of Countgen on the web now?

Martin
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

No, but there will be one in time for your tournament, fear not.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:No, but there will be one in time for your tournament, fear not.
Cheers

Martin