McDonald's Monopoly

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

McDonald's Monopoly

Post by Michael Wallace »

So McDonald's are running this Monopoly promotion where you get stickers on your food, which can lead to prizes prizes prizes. This thread is pretty irrelevant to anyone who doesn't know about the game, so I'm not going to bother with a lengthy explanation of the rules, but I was wondering if those who do partake of McDonald's now and again could help me with some stats.

I'm trying to work out some probabilities for the competition, which McDonald's obviously are refusing to just tell me, so it's time to do it empirically. Unfortunately, I don't eat out much, so my current confidence interval is super-sized, so I need some help. If you get/have got some McDonald's Monopoly stickers, could you let me know how many property stickers you got/have, and how many instant wins?

Thanks in advance and all that (and if no-one responds then c4c is responsible when I die from having to buy 100 portions of fries).
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Re: McDonald's Monopoly

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I had a Maccy D's yesterday. After pulling the 3 tabs off my burger, drink and fries, 2 of them had 2 properties and instructions how to play online. The other had 1 property, instant win McFlurry and instructions. Although in the excited hurry to collect my free Mcflurry (creme egg of course) I forget my drink and left it on the table outside. My two mates both got a meal too but didn't win anything, just properties, so in total: 17 properties, 1 instant win. (Is that what you wanted? Or do you want to know which properties as well?)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Dinos Sfyris wrote:I had a Maccy D's yesterday. After pulling the 3 tabs off my burger, drink and fries, 2 of them had 2 properties and instructions how to play online. The other had 1 property, instant win McFlurry, a property and instructions. Although in the excited hurry to collect my free Mcflurry (creme egg of course) I forget my drink and left it on the table outside. My two mates both got a meal too but didn't win anything, just properties, so in total: 17 properties, 1 instant win. (Is that what you wanted? Or do you want to know which properties as well?)
Nah that's brilliant, thanks :) The main thing I need to avoid is selection bias, so being told about your most recent expedition is perfect.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I heard they have as many prizes as instant wins. HTH.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

This is new? I could have sworn they were doing this like over a year ago? Anyway I don't like McDonalds much but I do occasionally go to one so will let you know. Also on the subject of Monopoly...the Monopoly scratchcards are fucking shit.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:I had a Maccy D's yesterday. After pulling the 3 tabs off my burger, drink and fries, 2 of them had 2 properties and instructions how to play online. The other had 1 property, instant win McFlurry, a property and instructions. Although in the excited hurry to collect my free Mcflurry (creme egg of course) I forget my drink and left it on the table outside. My two mates both got a meal too but didn't win anything, just properties, so in total: 17 properties, 1 instant win. (Is that what you wanted? Or do you want to know which properties as well?)
Nah that's brilliant, thanks :) The main thing I need to avoid is selection bias, so being told about your most recent expedition is perfect.
I remember this one time I got a meal with 6 stickers, and they were all blue properties.

HTH.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:This is new? I could have sworn they were doing this like over a year ago? Anyway I don't like McDonalds much but I do occasionally go to one so will let you know. Also on the subject of Monopoly...the Monopoly scratchcards are fucking shit.
They do it every year, so it's not new, no. It only runs for a couple of months each year (it seems), and since it's current I thought I'd try and do some number crunching on it. Why are the Monopoly scratchcards so shit?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Oh and I guess you already know about the Frud in the USA one, but it's pretty funny anyway.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Jon O'Neill wrote:Oh and I guess you already know about the Frud in the USA one, but it's pretty funny anyway.
Haha yep, pretty lulz.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:This is new? I could have sworn they were doing this like over a year ago? Anyway I don't like McDonalds much but I do occasionally go to one so will let you know. Also on the subject of Monopoly...the Monopoly scratchcards are fucking shit.
They do it every year, so it's not new, no. It only runs for a couple of months each year (it seems), and since it's current I thought I'd try and do some number crunching on it. Why are the Monopoly scratchcards so shit?
Ah right never knew that! Thought I was imagining things at first (it has been a while since I was in a Macdonalds...since COLIN back in January in fact). And the scratchcards are shit based purely on the fact that I haven't won on one yet. :)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Yeah. The "10 to win Mini Coopers" mean that they make millions and millions of the other 2 properties and just 10 Bond Streets, I think. I went to McDonalds last night (with my family obv!) and despite getting some free Nuggets ( :-D ) we still got 3 Park Lanes. :roll:
Last edited by Rhys Benjamin on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Rhys Benjamin wrote:Yeah. The "10 to win Mini Coopers" mean that they make millions and millions of the other 2 properties and just 10 Bond Streets, I think. I went to McDonalds last night (with my family obv!) and despite getting some free Nuggets (:-D) we still got 3 Park Lanes. :roll:
Yep, so what's fun is trying to work out your chances of actually winning. Don't suppose you know how many property stickers your family got in total, along with the free nuggets?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

The nuggets don't offer any Stickers and we have 2 of many sets, but the third is eluding us :roll: . We have had some other meals though but not everyone who lives with me has had 2 (including me - I think My Mum and my Brother have had 2 meals). We have 9 property stickers, Michael, excluding doubles (i.e. same of one sticker). We have (excluding Play online):
King's Cross Station, The Angel, Islington, Whitehall, Bow Street, Vine Street, Trafalgar Square, Fenchurch Street Station, Piccadilly, Oxford Street, Regent Street, Park Lane. The "rare" (i.e. the "10" Bond Streets - See above) stickers are Old Kent Road, Euston Road, Northumberland Avenue, Marlborough Street, The Strand, Coventry Street, Bond Street and Mayfair.

I did work out the chances (somewhat inaccurately, one presumes!) of them: The iPod shuffles: 1 in 7,500 stickers. The Pogo Pros*: 1 in 111,111.11111 recurring stickers, The Blackberry Curve 8520 Smartphones: 1 in 400,000 stickers, the HP Mini PC's: 1 in 1,500,000 stickers, The £500 Gold Choice vouchers: 1 in 1,090,909.090909090 recurring stickers, the Weekend Breaks: 1 in 600,000 stickers, The Mini Coopers: 1 in 30,000,000 stickers, the £500,000 cash: 1 in 300,000,000 stickers, and the £500 Shopping Spree: 1 in 100,000 stickers.

*Apparently A Pogo Pro was claimed at around 18:00 BST this evening and McDonalds had to admit they forgot to buy them :lol: :oops: .
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Rhys Benjamin wrote:the £500,000 cash: 1 in 300,000,000 stickers
So you're estimating there are 300,000,000 property stickers in total, interesting. Where are you getting that number from? (I thought there might be a resource somewhere that said how many there were in total, but I've not found one yet.)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Guess!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: I did work out the chances (somewhat inaccurately, one presumes!) of them:
So by "work out" you mean "make up"?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

My sister has gone through 18 online code things and not won owt. She's had 3 instant wins (porridge, apple pie and a sundae). Has about 20-30 properties.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Craig Beevers wrote:My sister has gone through 18 online code things and not won owt. She's had 3 instant wins (porridge, apple pie and a sundae). Has about 20-30 properties.
Cool, thanks. The online code thing is hilarious, if you read the T&Cs the way it works is there is a pre-determined 'moment', and you only win if their system thinks you happened to enter at that exact moment. It doesn't say anywhere how precise a 'moment' is, but you do wonder how low the chances are.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Craig Beevers wrote:My sister
Surrrrrre.
Lee Kelly
Rookie

Post by Lee Kelly »

Here iv have 2 of the regent street ones (mini cooper is the prize) what happens should I find the last one?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lee Kelly wrote:Here iv have 2 of the regent street ones (mini cooper is the prize) what happens should I find the last one?
I imagine you win a signed photo of 80's football legend Cyrille Regis.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:My sister
Surrrrrre.
I used to eat some crap but never that bad. Although I may have had 20 small croissants for breakfast the last day I was in Malaysia.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Can I suggest setting up a poll with the properties / instant wins on so people can just use a radio button whenever they get one? It'll give you a groovy chart and everything :) I imagine they're using the Panini stickers distribution system - 38,000 Regent Street, 29,000 Oxford Street and 1 Bond Street, for example*.

*No research and very little thought went into this example.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Lesley Hines wrote:Can I suggest setting up a poll with the properties / instant wins on so people can just use a radio button whenever they get one? It'll give you a groovy chart and everything :)
Nice idea, but the polling system isn't sophisticated enough to gather the data I want (I'm trying to estimate the proportion of all stickers that are instant wins, so I can then estimate the total number of stickers).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Bump. Anyone done any more McDonaldsing? Going to be writing something up about this tonight so any bonus data would be sexy. (I also notice that at the moment this thread is right next to 'diets' in the topic list :))
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:Bump. Anyone done any more McDonaldsing? Going to be writing something up about this tonight so any bonus data would be sexy. (I also notice that at the moment this thread is right next to 'diets' in the topic list :))
Literally was just speaking to one of my fellow paper boyees :oops: and he said he was going to McDonalds today. I told him to keep a track on his Monopolyness and he also said he'd had McDonalds at the weekend too so I told him to give me full details of it and he said he would on Facebook later on in the day. I'm not sure he was convinced that I was being serious though but I explained the situation to him to which his reply was "I lke statistics".
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Room 3: 2 McFlurrys :. 2 stickers - a Regent Street and a station. No instant wins though.
Lowering the averages since 2009
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Bump. Anyone done any more McDonaldsing? Going to be writing something up about this tonight so any bonus data would be sexy. (I also notice that at the moment this thread is right next to 'diets' in the topic list :))
Literally was just speaking to one of my fellow paper boyees :oops: and he said he was going to McDonalds today. I told him to keep a track on his Monopolyness and he also said he'd had McDonalds at the weekend too so I told him to give me full details of it and he said he would on Facebook later on in the day. I'm not sure he was convinced that I was being serious though but I explained the situation to him to which his reply was "I lke statistics".
Bitchin', I am excite.
Lesley Hines wrote:Room 3: 2 McFlurrys :. 2 stickers - a Regent Street and a station. No instant wins though.
Awesome, thanks :)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Heather handed me a triple play thing yesterday. She said she only got chips and a coke, so I dunno what it came off.
Pall Mall / 50 free Snapfish prints / code = no win