Today's Countdown News... see link

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
James Turner

Re: Today's Countdown News... see link

Post by James Turner »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Turner wrote:Of course, the real star of Countdown is Susie Dent and as long as she stays it will go on, but If she goes then RIP Countdown.
I always thought it was better in the days when they rotated the adjudictors.
I always thought it was better in the days when Countdown ran for under 30 minutes and started around 4:30 pm. I am absolutely certain that if they reverted to this then the ratings would go back up again.
Gavin Chipper wrote: It's interesting that there seems to be an internet/real life divide here.
Quite right, speaking for myself, I only exist in cyberspace. Turn off the computer and my existence dissolves and dissipates into the aether.
Gavin Chipper wrote: People on here seem to worship her
Speaking for myself again, absolutely.
Gavin Chipper wrote: , and people I meet in real life couldn't give a toss.
That's a very telling statement.
Gavin Chipper wrote: Of course I get the casting vote because I know myself on here and in real life.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Why do they insist that people like Susie be a part of the show now?
James Turner

Post by James Turner »

Jason Larsen wrote:Why do they insist that people like Susie be a part of the show now?
Because she's a goddess?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I wonder why they don't alternate Dictionary Corner wordsmiths anymore.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

There was a little article in the Daily Star Sunday (I think that's what it was) that I picked up on the train yesterday. It stated who the next presenter of Countdown was going to be - and it wasn't Rory Bremner. I have searched the Daily Star site and can't find any reference to it and it's not on any other newspaper sites so it's probably trash but why would they say it otherwise? I can't remember the guys name or what he does for a living (comedian/presenter etc) as I don't know many famous people!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm sure, very soon, someone is going to "tell us, tell us, tell us without a frown, who is the new host of Countdown?"

Anyway, I have re-written my song, "We Love Countdown," to reflect the departure of both Des and Carol. Here it is:

Oh, Des!
Des and Carol, we'll miss you so
You are our friends
We'll miss you so, we'll miss you so
We love Countdown
We go to town

I have composed a happy version and a sad version of the song. For the sad version, sing it as slowly as possible. If you want to know the tune, please talk to me privately!
Jason Witcher

Post by Jason Witcher »

Kirk Bevins wrote:There was a little article in the Daily Star Sunday (I think that's what it was) that I picked up on the train yesterday. It stated who the next presenter of Countdown was going to be - and it wasn't Rory Bremner. I have searched the Daily Star site and can't find any reference to it and it's not on any other newspaper sites so it's probably trash but why would they say it otherwise? I can't remember the guys name or what he does for a living (comedian/presenter etc) as I don't know many famous people!
According to this rather cumbersome link - http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM ... 8imFmDTzoA - it's Bradley Walsh.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Bradley Walsh and Myleene Klass?

Awesome :)
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Jon Corby wrote:Bradley Walsh and Myleene Klass?

Awesome :)
I would certainly be in favour of the pair being the new hosts.

Mind you, having said that, I have been watching Myleene closely since she was rumoured to be taking Carol's place - like on Last Choir Standing - and I am not overly convinced that she is the ideal replacement now. My reasoning is based on a vibe - nothing sinister :D .
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason Witcher wrote: According to this rather cumbersome link - http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM ... 8imFmDTzoA - it's Bradley Walsh.
My first thought was "my my, he's a bit young." Then I realised it was Bradley Walsh and not Bradley Cates.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:There was a little article in the Daily Star Sunday (I think that's what it was) that I picked up on the train yesterday. It stated who the next presenter of Countdown was going to be - and it wasn't Rory Bremner. I have searched the Daily Star site and can't find any reference to it and it's not on any other newspaper sites so it's probably trash but why would they say it otherwise? I can't remember the guys name or what he does for a living (comedian/presenter etc) as I don't know many famous people!
This is the worst newsbreak I have ever seen.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:My first thought was "my my, he's a bit young." Then I realised it was Bradley Walsh and not Bradley Cates.
My first thought when I read that was "what's he talking about? She's a woman." Then I realised it was Bradley Cates and not Phoebe Cates.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

My first thought when I read that was "what will Stacey think?" Then I realised it said Bradley Cates, not Bradley from Eastenders.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

My second thought was "What's he talking about, she's thick as shit and moreover fictional." Then I realised it was Phoebe Cates and not Phoebe Buffay.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
This is the worst newsbreak I have ever seen.
What you on about?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think he was mocking the fact that you couldn't remember anything about the story you were trying to break.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Oh, no!

If I remember correctly, Bradley Walsh did Wheel of Fortune in England. I have seen him on Wheel of Fortune and he was an absolutely terrible host! He was was too hyper!

Personally, I think John Leslie would have made a better host of Countdown because he is much calmer than Bradley!

However, before I judge a book by its cover and form a negative opinion about something that hasn't even happened yet, I'll just say this:

I have one pointer for Bradley when he becomes the new host of Countdown.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:Personally, I think John Leslie would have made a better host of Countdown because he is much calmer than Bradley!
Until he gets a sniff of quim.

(Apparently.)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Regardless, he is!

I think it will take Bradley some time before he "does it."

Everyone, please watch the Off-topic forum in just a few minutes.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:My first thought was "my my, he's a bit young." Then I realised it was Bradley Walsh and not Bradley Cates.
My first thought when I read that was "Who the fuck are Bradleys Walsh and Cates?!" Then I realised nothing and thought the same again.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Now, all of a sudden I'm thinking about why I posted the thread that stated that Bradley Walsh was going to be the new Countdown host for sure!
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
My first thought when I read that was "Who the fuck are Bradleys Walsh and Cates?!" Then I realised nothing and thought the same again.
Bradley Cates was a very young contestant in series 56.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes, and during his reign as champion one of the funniest exchanges of Des O'Connor's era as host occurred. After solving a numbers game faster than anyone else could solve, Des declared, "He's a nippy little chappy!"

Priceless!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I have just heard that there will be a tribute to Countdown's first era in December, so it will be merry Christmas and goodbye Des and Carol all the same. It will be an extended edition of Countdown. I wonder if the prize for winning Carol Vorderman's last series will be worth something, like cash.

Ladies and gentlemen, I could not feel any worse for criticizing the fact that you all were taking Des and Carol's departure as a joke. It was not funny at all, that's absolutely true. But, I did not realize that you all were just "lightening up." My apologies!

I want to be the last person ever to have an e-mail read in Countdown's first era. I almost sent one such e-mail, but I backed down. I was trying to think of how I could get my words to come out right, but I just couldn't do it!

I had intended to make my e-mail longer than the other e-mail I sent, as I understand the impact that Richard, Des Lynam and Des O'Connor have left on Countdown. But, I was also aware that my e-mail would probably be edited for time because they were going to focus on "the game."

And that's true, it shouldn't be about the game, it should be about Des and Carol! I love that nice guy, and I love that great lady!

However, the main reason why I am bumping this thread up is to apologize for overreacting about the turmoil on Countdown.

Don't forget to watch the extended episode of Countdown!

Thank you!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Definitely the end of an era, Jason.
Richard's sad, untimely, death meant that his departure in 2005 was a great shock to us all.
At least we will be prepared for Carol's leaving for pastures new.

Why not try sending your email in? What have you got to lose?
If you feel nervous, maybe try showing it to a friend or relative first - or you could post it on here.
The best of luck. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Well, Julie, you're completely right. With Richard's passing, everybody was sure that Countdown would go on, but, with Carol's departure, yes, it will go on. However, it will be much different.

I have stated before that I have backed down from sending the e-mail before because I didn't know how to put my thoughts into words without rambling on. I probably won't send my e-mail until close to the US holiday of Thanksgiving this year, but I will try.

Julie, another thing you'll find interesting is that I was lurking on this forum and I noticed one reply to a thread you had posted. If i had posted a reply to that thread, I would have told you how it was relative to me. However, it does have to do with my trouble maintaining social skills. If you want to know why, I'll tell you.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Jason: no-one has to post personal details about themselves on forums, especially if it makes you feel uncomfortable.
I hope I didn't sound pushy.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jon Corby wrote:A mate's just emailed me to say he heard Myleene Klass is the rumoured replacement...

HELL. YES. PLEASE.
I'd watch every day, then. Not sure that Christine would appreciate it much.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm not sure!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

It is an end of an era, but on the other hand Countdown's been lucky to have kept both of its presenters for 20 years and Carol for 6 years longer. I don't know what it's going to be like at the end of the Series with Carol leaving definitively. I suppose it had to happen one day, nothing lasts forever and with the lower viewer counts, lower budget and other factors, it probably is the right time. I feel like she's definitely going to find another job on television, an everyday one I mean. There are so many shows that she could do.

I think a serious rethink of the show is essential. I'm not saying everything should change, and while there are things that I would like to see change, I have no idea what the general public wants. Things like having a computer to select the letters, it's not a bad idea.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

It's actualy 24, Martin!

20 + 2 + 2 = 24.

I have been assured that Countdown will not officially be ruined, as the staff are confident that they will find the right people to replace Des and Carol!

It will just be different!

If you're a casual Countdown watcher, you expect to see Des and Carol next year and you don't, you will be shocked out of your mind!
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jason Larsen wrote:It's actualy 24, Martin!

20 + 2 + 2 = 24.

I have been assured that Countdown will not officially be ruined, as the staff are confident that they will find the right people to replace Des and Carol!

It will just be different!

If you're a casual Countdown watcher, you expect to see Des and Carol next year and you don't, you will be shocked out of your mind!
2008 - 1982 = 24 then??

We've been talking about Countdown at home tonight and I'm glad Christine has the same conclusions as me. In France the game is very popular which has led to about 300 clubs just in France (source:programmes.france3.fr). They don't have celebrity guests which saves on money. I currently don't watch Countdown and I have no real plans to do so in the future. I've been through various phases of watching with the sound off or just reading the recaps on the Internet because I love the game, in fact it's my absolute favourite game in the world, even over Scrabble. But the style of the programme puts me off. Trite jokes, trite stories a lot of which get repeated. Get rid of the celebrity guests and just talk to the contestants instead which is what people are interested in. Think of all the "reality programmes" around today, people are interested in real people and their lives and personality. Maybe they've worked in a foreign country or they done something notable in their lives (the Rubik's Cube world championship for example). Instead of talking about it for 10 seconds, talk about it for 5 minutes. If it works in France, why wouldn't it work here?

Martin
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm sorry! I just unnecessarily subtracted something!

I don't know what I was thinking, but I guess I just overthought something!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Gardner wrote:I feel like she's definitely going to find another job on television, an everyday one I mean. There are so many shows that she could do.
This is why I am starting to see Carol leaving as maybe a positive thing. Like you said, Carol has done many programmes, a few that come to mind are:

Vord's Big Brain Game
Britain's Brainiest
Sudoku Live (May 1st 2005)

So 100% theres bound to be another gameshow Carol can host, or even bring back for a new series :D.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:I feel like she's definitely going to find another job on television, an everyday one I mean. There are so many shows that she could do.
This is why I am starting to see Carol leaving as maybe a positive thing. Like you said, Carol has done many programmes, a few that come to mind are:

Vord's Big Brain Game
Britain's Brainiest

So 100% theres bound to be another gameshow Carol can host, or even bring back for a new series :D.
Also going by that there's a 100% chance it'll be crap.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Craig Beevers wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:This is why I am starting to see Carol leaving as maybe a positive thing. Like you said, Carol has done many programmes, a few that come to mind are:

Vord's Big Brain Game
Britain's Brainiest

Also going by that there's a 100% chance it'll be crap.
If it was to be a General Knowledge-based game show, then you would be right :P :lol:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I was just trying to add up how many years Countdown has been in its current era.

26 + 2 + 2 = 30! Sorry!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:It is an end of an era, but on the other hand Countdown's been lucky to have kept both of its presenters for 20 years and Carol for 6 years longer.
Richard died in 2005 so wouldn't that be both for 23 and Carol for 3 years longer?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

26, yes, sir Gavin!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

And Rory Bremner... has turned down the role of new Countdown host!
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Shame about Rory Bremner. I've kind of lost track over who is still in the running.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Well, Debbi, there's Michael Aspel, Bruce Forsyth (believe it or not!,) and a whole bunch of other people.

My source is http://www.gameshownewsnet.com
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:Well, Debbi, there's Michael Aspel, Bruce Forsyth (believe it or not!,) and a whole bunch of other people.

My source is http://www.gameshownewsnet.com
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a127890/ ... t-job.html
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kirk, my source is an American game show news site but they all give the information the same way!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

After watching Christopher Biggins on the season premiere of Family Fortunes with Vernon Kay, I officially declare him a great choice to replace Des O'Connor on Countdown!

Jon O'Neill, you are absolutely right!