Vending machines

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Vending machines

Post by Thomas Carey »

Just today, I saw someone get a drink out of a vending machine, and it fell down and hit ANOTHER drink below it which fell out due to the impact of the other drink, so the guy got 2 drinks for the price of one! (It also means that the next person to order the drink that the guy got free won't get anything.)

Any other epic tales of vending machines?
cheers maus
Soph K
Devotee

Re: Vending machines

Post by Soph K »

Thomas Carey wrote:Any other epic tales of vending machines?
No.
One Direction are my life. <3
"The reason for life is to find out who you are"
"It always seems impossible until it's done" :)
Love loads of celebs to be honest... Might marry Nicky Maccy :P
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Good story.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I find vending machines really exciting to use. Am I unusual in this regard?
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Michael Wallace wrote:Am I unusual?
Well, maybe... I think they're just, well, I dunno. I just think nothing of them; I just do what you do. ...Unless you take the vending machine home with you, then hit it with a hammer to open it, then stuff your face with all the sweets in it. Or anything like that. Not that anyone would do that. Not that anyone SANE would do that. :lol:
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

I'd love to see a vending machine that sells vending machines.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Mark James wrote:I'd love to see a vending machine that sells vending machines.
yeah haha thatd be awesome
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

The vending machine at our school has no security whatsoever and the front window is left open pretty much all the time. Loads of people take stuff and sell it for a marked-up price.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Old pennies used to work in the change machine in the Stillorgan bowl. Now that you've stopped giggling at the name, Stillorgan, I'll continue: Old pennies were the same size as the now old pound or punt coins. I made what felt like a fortune off this as a kid and can't believe they didn't stop it sooner.
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

When my dad was in Germany many years ago, he found that shillings were the same size as mark coins, so he could get his cigarettes from HB machines at less than half price :?
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Andy Wilson wrote:Now that you've stopped giggling at the name, Stillorgan, I'll continue
Blimey. Last time I went to Dublin I stayed at the Stillorgan Park Hotel. And it never even occurred to me that the area had a funny name. I'm losing my touch. :(
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Andy Wilson wrote:Now that you've stopped giggling at the name, Stillorgan, I'll continue
Blimey. Last time I went to Dublin I stayed at the Stillorgan Park Hotel. And it never even occurred to me that the area had a funny name. I'm losing my touch. :(
I bloody well live in Dublin and never noticed. Also I only noticed the other day that Palmerston is Palmerston and not Palmesrtown. Everyone pronounces it like it has the W in it. Apparently there was a vote by the locals to decide whether or not there should be a W.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

At university we has a vending machine in our halls of residence. Once it gave out free Aeros (must have set the price to zero. My friend came up to my room and showed me this single Aero that he had taken and he seemed to be feeling really guilty about it as well. I went down with a bag...

Also the pool table took two 20p coins but you could actually use pennies (being basically the same size). And when you pushed the thing in, if you let it out exactly the right number of clicks, you could push it back in again and so get an infinite number of games for 2p.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Gavin Chipper wrote:At university we has a vending machine in our halls of residence. Once it gave out free Aeros (must have set the price to zero. My friend came up to my room and showed me this single Aero that he had taken and he seemed to be feeling really guilty about it as well. I went down with a bag...

Also the pool table took two 20p coins but you could actually use pennies (being basically the same size). And when you pushed the thing in, if you let it out exactly the right number of clicks, you could push it back in again and so get an infinite number of games for 2p.

Ah, broken pool tables. With the one in the college I used to got to you could lift up the whole cushion on one side and manually turn the mechanism to dump the balls out for infinite free games. And on another pool table we played on we used to stuff the pockets with plastic bags so as not to lose the balls back in to the table.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark James wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:At university we has a vending machine in our halls of residence. Once it gave out free Aeros (must have set the price to zero. My friend came up to my room and showed me this single Aero that he had taken and he seemed to be feeling really guilty about it as well. I went down with a bag...

Ah, broken pool tables. With the one in the college I used to got to you could lift up the whole cushion on one side and manually turn the mechanism to dump the balls out for infinite free games. And on another pool table we played on we used to stuff the pockets with plastic bags so as not to lose the balls back in to the table.
This one wasn't even really broken, just poorly designed. There was another one exactly the same elsewhere at the university, and a washing machine that you could do the click thing with.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Re: Stillorgan/Phil. I went to school across the road from that hotel. To be honest, I don't remember anyone thinking it was funny either until my Swedish mate Rene went to live in Dublin in the mid 00s. Suppose it's all in the pronunciation. Would have definitely bet that Palmerston had a W in it.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Andy Wilson wrote:Re: Stillorgan/Phil. I went to school across the road from that hotel.
What, Oatlands College? Walked past there on our way for Sunday breakfast at a caff in the Stillorgan shopping centre. Small world eh?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

That's the one. Most famous pupil being Dermot Morgan. We tried to have him back as our guest of honour for the annual prize giving when we got to 6th year but were politely told to choose someone else by the principal, who didn't have fond memories of him as a student. There was no vending machine in the school.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

In the Cohen building at Hull uni (the building I'm mostly in for geography lectures when I can be arsed to turn up) there is a vending machine that has the KitKats set with no price so as soon as it is filled up practically whoever is first to it cleans out the machine. I've yet to be lucky enough to get there first and I'm not sad enough to stalk the guy who fills up the machine. His name is Stephen Morfitt.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

A couple of my mates at uni, Dave and Jim, worked for John the vending man for a while, driving round to the different uni sites to refill the vendors or pick them up/drop them off before/after repairs/replacement etc. Was a pretty fun job apparently, but mainly because John was a bit slow and a bit prone to catastrophes like driving into walls or forgetting to tie up the vending machine they were moving in the back of the van, and having it fall over with an almighty crash when they went round a corner. Oh yeah, best bit was it was one of those 'new' (about 5 years ago) vending machines that did freshly-cooked chips and stuff, so it filled the back of the van with oil and chips when it went down.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:Oh yeah, best bit was it was one of those 'new' (about 5 years ago) vending machines that did freshly-cooked chips and stuff, so it filled the back of the van with oil and chips when it went down.
What. The. Fuck. I have NEVER seen these vending machines or anything quite as awesome as this before. I think the closest I have come is the vending machine that is sometimes in a dentist selling like a toothbrush and toothpaste and stuff which made me go wow.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Yeah I don't know why I never tried it. I'd like to know what the chips tasted like come to think of it.

You've seen hot Pot Noodle ones and stuff though yeah? They're semi-commonplace nowadays.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Matt Morrison wrote:You've seen hot Pot Noodle ones and stuff though yeah? They're semi-commonplace nowadays.
Errrr no, I'm guessing they are just like the ones that sell coffee and hot chocolate.
Soph K
Devotee

Post by Soph K »

Matt Morrison wrote:You've seen hot Pot Noodle ones and stuff though yeah? They're semi-commonplace nowadays.
It's a 'no' from me as well, Matt. :lol:
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Soph K wrote:
It's a 'no' from me as well, Matt. :lol:
Yeah but you're only 10 - I'm double that. By the time you are 20 I reckon babies could be purchased from vending machines.