Spoilers For Friday January 21st 2011

Discuss anything that happened in recent games. This is the place to post any words you got that beat Dictionary Corner, or numbers games that evaded Rachel.

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Spoilers For Friday January 21st 2011

Post by James Robinson »

So, we've reached the end of the 2nd week of Series 64, and we are on the verge of crowning our first octochamp of the series and year already :!: :shock: :o 8-)

The man destined for greatness is of course, Adam Gillard, and even though he can't get 8 conundrums, he still has the chance of getting 8 centuries, and the chance of becoming only the 6th person to break the 900 points barrier. 8-) 8-)

One interesting coincidence that I've notice is that it is exactly 1 year ago to the day when Oliver Garner became the first octochamp and look what happened to him. :idea: :geek: :ugeek:

I think Adam wouldn't mind something similar to that in June, assuming he wins today. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Mike will be around with the recap later. 8-)

Ooooooooh, this is so exciting. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Spoilers For Friday January 21st 2011

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What does he need to score for 900?

Edit - 122 according to the wiki. Needs a 9 really.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Just turned on, a-lol at the score
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Come on Adam, you can get to 122! Willing along a nine, please come Mr. Nine...
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Joseph Krol wrote:Come on Adam, you can get to 122! Willing along a nine, please come Mr. Nine...
And it did. Always good to know ANGRIEST + U. Who was the guy who said 'its a sign'?
John Douglas
Acolyte

Post by John Douglas »

Was QUOIFS not there in the QU round?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I think that 903 is excellent by anyone's standards, well done Adam, congrats.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Smashing performances Adam. Well done!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

John Douglas wrote:Was QUOIFS not there in the QU round?
I thought about that too. Not valid.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

So excellent octochamp run, Adam. Well done on making the 900. I have to admit watching that game, I did think you were trying your best times not to get 900. When a top player misses a word like DRAINING, I often think to myself that it's these top players that are above writing the letters down in something other than a straight line to give a different perspective and sometimes miss out as a result. Actually I don't know if you do, but I always write the six letters other than ING, and DRAINING becomes a formality.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

R2 tensorial
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Joseph Krol wrote:R2 tensorial
or ORIENTALS, or RELATIONS.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Very well done Adam, fantastic run and great score of 903.

Next up Ed McCullagh. :)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Just after Round 12 I realised that he COULD get 146. Then the 7 ruined it.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

At the start of the week I thought I was going to hate a week of Gillard, but I actually enjoyed all your shows and congratulations on going down as a 900 plusser and for the 8 centuries in a row. Awesome stuff. The one thing I did not like about all of your shows was Jonathan frigging Maitland. Please give me some insight to what he was actually like to talk to Adam, and if he was as unbearable as it seemed from the couch. It was just annoying the way he announced all the beaters as though they were all his own work. This is one thing that really bugs me about a DC guest and Jonathan Maitland goes down as one of the worst on my list, I'm glad to see the back of him. Just my opinion anyway and no doubt he'll be appearing again later in the year.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Well done on becoming an octochamp, Adam, 8 wins, 8 centuries. 8-)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Very well done, Adam. 903 is very impressive indeed. This show also happens to be only the 2nd time when a contestant has won by over 100 points, so a bit of history of sorts there. Hope you do well in the finals. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

I do have alternates to all 3 numbers games too, which I quite like: :D

1st Nos.: (5 x 100) - (6 x 10) + 8 + 3 = 451
2nd Nos.: ((100 - 1) x 9) + (7 x 5) = 926
3rd Nos.: (75 x 9) + ((50 - 8) / 3) = 689

Also got THWAITE in round 8. 8-)
Last edited by James Robinson on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Robinson wrote:3rd Nos.: (75 x 9) + ((50 - 8) x 3) = 689
Should that be /3?
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
James Robinson wrote:3rd Nos.: (75 x 9) + ((50 - 8) x 3) = 689
Should that be /3?
Indeed. :oops:
Josh Hurst
Enthusiast

Post by Josh Hurst »

Ryan Taylor wrote:At the start of the week I thought I was going to hate a week of Gillard, but I actually enjoyed all your shows and congratulations on going down as a 900 plusser and for the 8 centuries in a row. Awesome stuff. The one thing I did not like about all of your shows was Jonathan frigging Maitland. Please give me some insight to what he was actually like to talk to Adam, and if he was as unbearable as it seemed from the couch. It was just annoying the way he announced all the beaters as though they were all his own work. This is one thing that really bugs me about a DC guest and Jonathan Maitland goes down as one of the worst on my list, I'm glad to see the back of him. Just my opinion anyway and no doubt he'll be appearing again later in the year.
I kinda agree with all of this. Really enjoyed all of Adam's shows, and despite my minor disliking of his apterous persona, he was a really nice guy on the telly, and wasn't arrogant in the slightest. Well done Adam. Also, the Jonathan Maitland thing I kind of agree with. The thing is, I think a lot of the beaters he actually did find himself, and he seems to be genuinely enthusiastic about words and shit, but it's a bit of a shame that it could get misconstrued by the viewer as him just leaching off Susie. If this is the case, then I guess it's annoying. I suppose it's kinda hard for a new DC guest to know how to conduct themselves, maybe? I'm just guessing. On the whole I thought he was quite likeable, and didn't come across as a douchebag.

Also, OSSIFY was there as a beater in round 11.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Josh Hurst wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:At the start of the week I thought I was going to hate a week of Gillard, but I actually enjoyed all your shows and congratulations on going down as a 900 plusser and for the 8 centuries in a row. Awesome stuff. The one thing I did not like about all of your shows was Jonathan frigging Maitland. Please give me some insight to what he was actually like to talk to Adam, and if he was as unbearable as it seemed from the couch. It was just annoying the way he announced all the beaters as though they were all his own work. This is one thing that really bugs me about a DC guest and Jonathan Maitland goes down as one of the worst on my list, I'm glad to see the back of him. Just my opinion anyway and no doubt he'll be appearing again later in the year.
I kinda agree with all of this. Really enjoyed all of Adam's shows, and despite my minor disliking of his apterous persona, he was a really nice guy on the telly, and wasn't arrogant in the slightest. Well done Adam. Also, the Jonathan Maitland thing I kind of agree with. The thing is, I think a lot of the beaters he actually did find himself, and he seems to be genuinely enthusiastic about words and shit, but it's a bit of a shame that it could get misconstrued by the viewer as him just leaching off Susie. If this is the case, then I guess it's annoying. I suppose it's kinda hard for a new DC guest to know how to conduct themselves, maybe? I'm just guessing. On the whole I thought he was quite likeable, and didn't come across as a douchebag.

Also, OSSIFY was there as a beater in round 11.
I did say "as htough they were all his own work" implying that on occasions he did in fact find some because after all he does play Scrabble weekly so yeah he definitely likes his words/language/anagrams etc. Just on the occasions when a word comes out it would just be better to say "Susie managed to find..." like a lot of the guests do. And sometimes Susie says "credit to my producer here..." which is also good. I am pretty sure most viewers won't have found Jonathan annoying though and certainly not for the same reasons so I guess he would be welcomed back by the majority of viewers anyway. I usually watch on Sky+ anyway to be fair so I don't even know what I'm complaining about because I skip through pretty much all of it, in fact sometimes I just leave it on fastforward and just toggle between either x6 x12 or x30. Yep, my life's shit.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Gavin Chipper wrote:So excellent octochamp run, Adam. Well done on making the 900. I have to admit watching that game, I did think you were trying your best times not to get 900. When a top player misses a word like DRAINING, I often think to myself that it's these top players that are above writing the letters down in something other than a straight line to give a different perspective and sometimes miss out as a result. Actually I don't know if you do, but I always write the six letters other than ING, and DRAINING becomes a formality.
It was the last game of his run, so he was probably very tired. Hence missing words like DRAINING.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Not meaning to be harsh, but how did Mavis pass her audition?
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Really well done Adam, a fantastic run and you made it seem virtually effortless, while also remaining modest and down-to-earth about it all. Thoroughly enjoyable to watch. Jonathan Maitland was pretty good too I thought, he seemed to show genuine interest and insight into the words rather than just going "Well Susie's got something here" which was nice.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Innis Carson wrote:Really well done Adam, a fantastic run and you made it seem virtually effortless, while also remaining modest and down-to-earth about it all. Thoroughly enjoyable to watch. Jonathan Maitland was pretty good too I thought, he seemed to show genuine interest and insight into the words rather than just going "Well Susie's got something here" which was nice.
nob
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Dan McColm wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:So excellent octochamp run, Adam. Well done on making the 900. I have to admit watching that game, I did think you were trying your best times not to get 900. When a top player misses a word like DRAINING, I often think to myself that it's these top players that are above writing the letters down in something other than a straight line to give a different perspective and sometimes miss out as a result. Actually I don't know if you do, but I always write the six letters other than ING, and DRAINING becomes a formality.
It was the last game of his run, so he was probably very tired. Hence missing words like DRAINING.
Yeah, it was probably very draining.
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Dan McColm wrote:
Yeah, it was probably very draining.
I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Dan McColm wrote:Not meaning to be harsh, but how did Mavis pass her audition?
Cos she was fucking cool.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Innis Carson wrote:Really well done Adam, a fantastic run and you made it seem virtually effortless, while also remaining modest and down-to-earth about it all. Thoroughly enjoyable to watch. Jonathan Maitland was pretty good too I thought, he seemed to show genuine interest and insight into the words rather than just going "Well Susie's got something here" which was nice.
nob
knob
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:
nob
knob
I think Ryan was just pointing out that Innis is a person of wealth or high position.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Joseph Krol wrote:I think that 903 is excellent by anyone's standards, well done Adam, congrats.
Ralph Gillions wrote:Smashing performances Adam. Well done!
Eoin Monaghan wrote:Very well done Adam, fantastic run and great score of 903.
Thank you Joseph, Ralph, Gavin and Eoin. Gavin, I saw DRAINING immediately watching it back - I don't really write much down, I just spend as much time as possible staring blankly at the letters :)
Ryan Taylor wrote:At the start of the week I thought I was going to hate a week of Gillard, but I actually enjoyed all your shows and congratulations on going down as a 900 plusser and for the 8 centuries in a row. Awesome stuff.

Thanks Ryan.

The one thing I did not like about all of your shows was Jonathan frigging Maitland. Please give me some insight to what he was actually like to talk to Adam, and if he was as unbearable as it seemed from the couch.
He did seem a bit aloof at times, and Susie had to tell him off after one of his earlier shows because he was talking too loudly during the letters rounds, but I think this can all be put down to inexperience as a DC guest, and as a Scrabbler he has a keen intellect and I think his enthusiasm for words may have been misconstrued as trying to steal the limelight from Susie (basically what Josh said about this is right).
Jojo Apollo wrote:Well done on becoming an octochamp, Adam, 8 wins, 8 centuries. 8-)
James Robinson wrote:Very well done, Adam. 903 is very impressive indeed. This show also happens to be only the 2nd time when a contestant has won by over 100 points, so a bit of history of sorts there. Hope you do well in the finals. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)

Thanks Jojo and James.

Also got THWAITE in round 8. 8-)
So did I when I watched it back! And got the last numbers too :(
Josh Hurst wrote:Really enjoyed all of Adam's shows, and despite my minor disliking of his apterous persona, he was a really nice guy on the telly, and wasn't arrogant in the slightest. Well done Adam.
Thanks; must try harder to align my apterous persona with my real-life persona ;)
Innis Carson wrote:Really well done Adam, a fantastic run and you made it seem virtually effortless, while also remaining modest and down-to-earth about it all. Thoroughly enjoyable to watch.
Thanks Innis!
Matt Morrison wrote:
Dan McColm wrote:Not meaning to be harsh, but how did Mavis pass her audition?
Cos she was fucking cool.
What Matt said, plus she got 7 when I had 8 and 8 when I had 9; she was pretty unlucky really and then she risked some words when she fell a long way behind. It was lovely when MAVIS came up in the last round :D
--------------------------------
Thanks for watching everyone! Bring on McCullagh! :)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Edited.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:Thanks for watching everyone! Bring on McCullagh! :)
Err wtf? MASSIVE spoilers?
Spoilers thread??? AND you put it in your recaps.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Edited.
Last edited by Ryan Taylor on Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Ryan Taylor wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote: Err wtf? MASSIVE spoilers?
Spoilers thread??? AND you put it in your recaps.
Adam's post implies that he is saying bring on Ed because he might know how Ed has done. I only mentioned the fact that Ed is due to appear in this series which was fairly common knowledge last series that Ed was going to be applying.
Well, all I know is when Ed appears. Adam would certainly not be around Manchester by the predicted recording dates.
Edward McCullagh
Series 64 Champion

Post by Edward McCullagh »

SPOILERZZZ

well done Adam - you were immense and totally dead on :)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Edited my stuff anyway. Maybe edit yours?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

It's a SPOILERS thread. No.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:It's a SPOILERS thread. No.
It's a spoilers thread for Friday January 21st 2011 and any shows previous, not spoilers for the series or any unaired shows yet.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

It's been discussed many times before.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

I agree with Ryan (for once) about Maitland - a pompous twat.