Today's Countdown News... see link

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Kirk Bevins
God

Re: Today's Countdown News... see link

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Stewart Scott wrote:Just search the universities for someone who has the ability and the charm to replace Carol - someone good would be bound to come out of that I'm sure.
Uh hum *flutters eyelashes rapidly* :geek:
Heather Culpin

Post by Heather Culpin »

I will be sorry to see Carol leave but I agree - there must be lots of smart presentable graduates who could do the numbers job. Or Jon O. On the topic of:

People get used to living on a certain wage. Carol probably has all kinds of costs (mortgages, school fees, etc) which she can't suddenly cut by 90%.

Surely Carol knows somewhere where she could consolidate all her debts into one easy-to-manage loan?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Heather Culpin wrote:Surely Carol knows somewhere where she could consolidate all her debts into one easy-to-manage loan?
Spat my Diet Coke all over the keyboard when I read this. Thanks :D
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Heather Culpin wrote: Surely Carol knows somewhere where she could consolidate all her debts into one easy-to-manage loan?
Haha :lol: . I borrowed a loan from FirstPlus for my business studies coursework and the interest rate was shocking :) Carol would struggle to meet the repayments with a 90% pay cut!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dSR4ZAbBwh0
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Hooray! :D
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

This at least is good news, but wasn't Carol an engineering graduate?
lelb72

Post by lelb72 »

I cannot believe that all these stories are emerging. How do we know what the real truth is?
As for Carol's reported salary, many of us would be grateful for £100 a day let alone what she is apparently earning. I'm sure we could come to some arrangement Damian lol.
We never know the truth unless it comes from the horses mouth so to speak and newspapers always twist things.
So, when do we get a proper statement Damian?

As for the continuation of the show i dont think people are concerned with Des leaving it's the fact that Carol has been with it right from the start. One papaer is saying she wanted more money and was refused and another is saying she would do it for free. mmmm strange that.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, Countdown is not being canceled! That's good!

The fact that someone gave an argument pro-Carol is living proof that her firing is not funny at all though, but why would a story like that make it into the tabloids?

I understand that Carol's replacement may very well be someone we've never heard of, but you shouldn't judge a book by its cover!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Another question, I just saw the ad for FirstPlus with Carol that someone posted on Youtube. Was this a recent ad?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

A mate's just emailed me to say he heard Myleene Klass is the rumoured replacement...

HELL. YES. PLEASE.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Jon Corby wrote:A mate's just emailed me to say he heard Myleene Klass is the rumoured replacement...

HELL. YES. PLEASE.
I second that one Jon :) . Can't see it myself personally but your avatar would be true if she was the new Carol :lol:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'll have to Google her name.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:I'll have to Google her name.
See you in 15 minutes or so then...
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:I'll have to Google her name.
Is this how your post count is so high, Jason?
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

Myleene Klass..........interesting ;) Now that would be fun!
lelb72

Post by lelb72 »

Myleen Klass is a very talented woman, she can do anything play the piano, sing, present, write music, show her bits off in a jungle, go on holiday for M&S, get travellers cheques instantly changed, cook &solve maths problems in 30 seconds. Amazing woman (note the hint of sarcasm there)

Get someone who is intelligent at least!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

lelb72 wrote:Myleen Klass is a very talented woman, she can do anything play the piano, sing, present, write music, show her bits off in a jungle, go on holiday for M&S, get travellers cheques instantly changed, cook &solve maths problems in 30 seconds. Amazing woman (note the hint of sarcasm there)

You utter cretin. It's laughable you should baselessly attack somebody like that considering that you burst into tears if somebody posts a longer word than you got.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

...especially since Myleen Klass is really quite smart. I don't know how her arithmetic is but she's definitely worthy of some respect on that front.
RGoodMan

Post by RGoodMan »

Exactly, I think Myleen would actually be quite good in the role, but I can't see her ever being convinced to do it though.
Andrew Lowe

Post by Andrew Lowe »

I think it was Kathryn who put Ms Klass forward as Carol's replacement because, as she says, "she seems to be on everything these days". Myleene strikes me as an intelligent person, but I've no idea how she fares with numbers.

The best solution would be to have an unknown come in to deal with the numbers with Jon rightly pointing out that this is the way it was done for Carol and she became famous because of it. Only problem there is that Countdown was not as established as it is now, and even Richard Whiteley was fairly unknown, so I'm not sure how that would work. Given the average age of the past two hosts of Countdown is probably somewhere around 70, I doubt anyone without a bus pass will be considered.

Having said that, what about having a female host, like Jennie Bond, and getting some younger, attractive male mathematician for the ladies to ogle? Or is that just out of the question...? ;)
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

That article wot Damian posted wrote:Countdown will return at the end of August after its summer break, the Channel 4 spokeswoman said, with both Vorderman and O'Connor expected to return to film more episodes in the autumn.
Given the circumstances in which Carol and the show have appeared to part company, and all the general acrimony that seems to be flying around, how exactly would this work? Wouldn't things be a little...strained? Is there some contractual clause that compels Carol to see it out until the end of the year, because if I was her I'd tell the bosses to stick it up their arse. Of course, I imagine Carol is probably a bit more professional than me.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

lelb72 wrote:Myleen Klass is a very talented woman, she can do anything play the piano, sing, present, write music, show her bits off in a jungle, go on holiday for M&S, get travellers cheques instantly changed, cook &solve maths problems in 30 seconds. Amazing woman (note the hint of sarcasm there)

I'd really hate to know you in real life.

Jeeze.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

jimbentley wrote:
That article wot Damian posted wrote:Countdown will return at the end of August after its summer break, the Channel 4 spokeswoman said, with both Vorderman and O'Connor expected to return to film more episodes in the autumn.
Given the circumstances in which Carol and the show have appeared to part company, and all the general acrimony that seems to be flying around, how exactly would this work? Wouldn't things be a little...strained? Is there some contractual clause that compels Carol to see it out until the end of the year, because if I was her I'd tell the bosses to stick it up their arse. Of course, I imagine Carol is probably a bit more professional than me.
I would've thought that there would be quite big contractual ramifications for her refusing to film the rest of the shows.

Also, my impression is that the people who work in the studio on a recording day are far removed from the ones who ousted her. I think.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jon O'Neill wrote:Also, my impression is that the people who work in the studio on a recording day are far removed from the ones who ousted her. I think.
Of course, of course, I didn't mean on a day-to-day basis, just generally the principle of having to complete a contract knowing that you've been shat on (metaphorically, that is, not literally - I don't think the bosses would go quite that far).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Image for the subtly-changed topical avatar Jim :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:...especially since Myleen Klass is really quite smart. I don't know how her arithmetic is but she's definitely worthy of some respect on that front.
Precisely. She's phenomenally attractive IMO (I'd chew my right arm off for a go etc etc) but only the most idiotic of idiots would attempt to classify her as some airheaded bimbo (yes Lee, that's you.)
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

The majority want MYLEENE KLASS. Enough said.

EDIT; I would never miss an episode if she was on. That will get them viewing figures up soaring again, Damian!
Last edited by JasonCullen on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I must admit that I had to Google her, as her name was quite unfamiliar to me. Here's one of the less revealing pics that google presented me with. link
I'd certainly be happy with her. :P
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

lelb72 wrote:So, when do we get a proper statement Damian?
I'm not sure that Damian, as another employee himself, would necessarily have all this information.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:...especially since Myleen Klass is really quite smart. I don't know how her arithmetic is but she's definitely worthy of some respect on that front.
I don't know how intelligent she is, not having watched many programmes with her in, but I have read Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown and what he says in that implies that he thinks she is a bit stupid. I can't remember exactly what, but it was definitely the impression.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
I'm not sure that Damian, as another employee himself, would necessarily have all this information.
All what information?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Myleene Klass? Do we have a source for this information, or is it just Hearsay? ;)

She's the one celebrity Emma hates more than Carol for being EVERYWHERE! I reckon Myleene should get the job sheerly for Emma's annoyance!
jasoncullen wrote: That will get them viewing figures up soaring again, Damian!
Yes it will certainly send something rising among male viewers... Now where's that article about masturbation during afternoon TV?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Damian E wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
All what information?
The information that the other guy wanted from you in the form of a proper statement.
lelb72

Post by lelb72 »

A note to both Jon's on here:

I have my own personal opinions of people same as you. And i'm glad you dont know me in "real life"!

With regards to Damian i obviously have my wires crossed somewhere. I thought Damian was more involved with the program.

This forum should be monitored properly, which it obviously isnt with Jon's offensive remark!
Last edited by lelb72 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Lowe

Post by Andrew Lowe »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:Myleene Klass? Do we have a source for this information, or is it just Hearsay? ;)
Oh, nice. :D (And, just in case you did want the answer, all I can find is Kathryn mentioning it as a throwaway comment in an interview she did with the papers re: Carol's departure.)

((And I'm really, really happy that I was brave enough to use the 'quote' feature for the first time and it seems to have worked. My technical skills know no beginnings.))
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

lelb72 wrote:This forum should be monitored properly, which it obviously isnt with Jon's offensive remark!
I guess I should sacrifice more of my free time to protecting your over-sensitive ego.
lelb72

Post by lelb72 »

I think you should look at what people are saying about other board members they dont know from Adam. As for having an "over-sensitive ego" unfotunately that's maybe part of me and i really dont care what you think.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

lelb72 wrote:As for having an "over-sensitive ego" unfotunately that's maybe part of me and i really dont care what you think.
Spot the contradiction and win £5!
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Why should i give you a statement?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I just looked up Myleen Klass on Wikipedia, and I must say this. If I worked at Channel 4, I would say yes to Myleen Klass getting the job on Countdown, and I would hire her on the spot. She seems like she is an amazing lady and I'm sure that if any of you asked her if there is anything she can't do, she would say no.

I could just see Nick Jackson getting hired as the new announcer of Countdown, and this would be his new opening spiel on the very first show of Series 60:

"It's back! Your favorite game of letters, numbers and intellect in a new era! This is Countdown! And now, say hello to the new host and hostess of Countdown, Rory Bremner and Myleen Klass!"

Everybody, all together now, Ro-ry,! Ro-ry,! Ro-ry,! My-leen,! My-leen,! My-leen,!
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Hmm, as long as everyone's job on the production team is safe, I guess that's the most important thing.

Justin Lee Collins to host and allowed to wander around the set, Alan Carr to do the putting stuff up, and a cheaty computer to do the maths except sometimes it can't be bothered to work it out to give the viewers a chance.

The above is probably why I don't work in telly.
Ross Allatt
Rookie

Post by Ross Allatt »

Here's some more about "Countdowngate" (where were you when you heard Carol was leaving etc...) from the Guardian website with a variety of contributions from the blogsphere, including one from a "Ginger Jon" - naaah, can't be the same one...can it??? :D

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/tv/2008/07/ ... thout.html

and another, earlier, one when all we had to worry about was "who's going to replace Des"? Ah, those far-off innocent days!

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/organgrinde ... _do_w.html
I have nothing to declare except my Guinness.
Andrew Lowe

Post by Andrew Lowe »

Jason Larsen wrote:I'm sure that if any of you asked her if there is anything she can't do, she would say no.
That might just be a reason as to why some people might not take too kindly to her.

As long as she gets the job because of her talent with figures and not because of her own figure, then I'd have no problem with it.

Anyway, I doubt she'd agree to take the job even if it was offered to her. She'd probably say she missed the thrill of recording albums and staging concerts or something.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I'm astonished one name for the host hasn't been mentioned yet... The one and only Greg Scott!

How I forgot about him for so long is unreal. :-/
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Gary, Damian, Kate and Lara are not getting fired! And you're kidding about Justin Lee Collins!

Ross, that could very well have been our Jon O'Neill making a comment on the blog post regarding Carol's departure. Jon, if it was you, how could you estimate Carol's salary?

And Ben, Greg Scott possibly becoming the new host has already been discussed before.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Just to clear up that wasn't me - although I have heard a similar figure as my near-namesake regarding Carol's salary in the press, Jason.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

The Guardian (some irony with them reporting on Countdown I think) says that audiences have dropped to about a million. I wonder how much of that is due to the 3.30 pm start time.......

Myleene Klass annoyed Derren Brown by allegedly haranguing him when he bumped into Derek Acorah (I think) in a hotel bar. Apparently DB had implied publicly that certain psychics were not entirely genuine, or that their results could be achieved by non-psychic means, which is quite a mild criticism I would have thought. DB and DA had quite a cordial chat but it seems MK was less cordial, according to DB's book.

Kevin
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

Read it and weep

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/tv/general ... 52384.html

Doncha just love the internet? Some interesting choices!

Kevin
Andrew Lowe

Post by Andrew Lowe »

I do hope they haven't been reading this forum and got their news story from it... ;)

To think Kathryn only made it as a throw-away comment, too.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Kevin Thurlow wrote:The Guardian (some irony with them reporting on Countdown I think) says that audiences have dropped to about a million. I wonder how much of that is due to the 3.30 pm start time.......

Myleene Klass annoyed Derren Brown by allegedly haranguing him when he bumped into Derek Acorah (I think) in a hotel bar. Apparently DB had implied publicly that certain psychics were not entirely genuine, or that their results could be achieved by non-psychic means, which is quite a mild criticism I would have thought. DB and DA had quite a cordial chat but it seems MK was less cordial, according to DB's book.

Kevin
I think there was something about her getting the wrong end of the stick due to mental ineptituade as well. I'm just too lazy to go and find it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:mental ineptituade
roflrofl
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:mental ineptituade
roflrofl
The poor spelling or the word in general?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Jon!

Also, I bet the question of, "Is Myleen Klass replacing Carol Vorderman a good deal?" will remain eternal.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kevin Thurlow wrote:Myleene Klass annoyed Derren Brown by allegedly haranguing him when he bumped into Derek Acorah (I think) in a hotel bar.
Actually he didn't even claim that, he said he barely noticed her that evening but the next day read a report in the paper which he presumed had been issued by her PR office to raise the profile of the programme they were presenting.

I concede though that hanging around with a fraud like Acorah isn't a smart move.

Of course, Brown himself could be considered slightly fraudulent, if you're stupid enough to believe the faux psychology he uses to explain some of his magic tricks :)
James Turner

Post by James Turner »

Jason Larsen wrote: I bet the question of, "Is Myleen Klass replacing Carol Vorderman a good deal?" will remain eternal.
I very much doubt they will actually be able to get Myleen Klass myself. If by some chance they do, it will be interesting to see how much they pay her. If it is more than 10% of what Carol was getting, I guess it means that Channel Four not only wanted to trade Carol in for a cheaper model but for a younger model.

My own personal opinion is that Klass thinks far too much of herself for my liking and I would even prefer Carol to her. But they don't actually need either. All they need is some young bimbo who looks good in a short skirt and is able to operate a number solving computer, since we all know that TV is all about smoke and mirrors. All she has to remember is to keep looking round to smile at the camera after putting each letter up and she will soon be getting offers from the loan sharks to front their businesses. In support of Carol, she always worked out the numbers herself and on the rare occasion that someone else got the answer, whoever it was, she always gave them credit.

Of course, the real star of Countdown is Susie Dent and as long as she stays it will go on, but If she goes then RIP Countdown.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

James Turner wrote:My own personal opinion is that Klass thinks far too much of herself for my liking and I would even prefer Carol to her. But they don't actually need either. All they need is some young bimbo who looks good in a short skirt and is able to operate a number solving computer, since we all know that TV is all about smoke and mirrors.
:roll:
James Turner wrote:Of course, the real star of Countdown is Susie Dent and as long as she stays it will go on, but If she goes then RIP Countdown.
Yes!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I hope the replacement for Carol will be as likable and as much fun as she was!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

James Turner wrote:Of course, the real star of Countdown is Susie Dent and as long as she stays it will go on, but If she goes then RIP Countdown.
I always thought it was better in the days when they rotated the adjudictors. It's interesting that there seems to be an internet/real life divide here. People on here seem to worship her, and people I meet in real life couldn't give a toss. Of course I get the casting vote because I know myself on here and in real life.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

You mean you've met people in real life?

I find that rather difficult to believe.