Another numerical listener puzzle due

Cerebral distractions of every kind, mostly but not exclusively Countdown-related.

Moderator: Michael Wallace

Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Another numerical listener puzzle due

Post by Howard Somerset »

Dinos normally lets people know when a numerical listener puzzle is due, but as he's got other things on his mind this week I thought I'd let you know that if The Times follows its usual schedule, Saturday's paper will include the last of this year's numerical listener puzzles.

And Dinos, if you don't manage to find time to slip out and get a copy on Saturday, just let me know, and I'll send you a scan of mine. (That also goes for others too lazy, or tight, to buy a copy.)
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Another numerical listener puzzle due

Post by Matt Morrison »

Because I'd rather hear it from you Mr. Somerset than some anonymous Internet page, what is this numerical listener puzzle you and Dinos love so much? I've long wondered.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Matt Morrison wrote:Because I'd rather hear it from you Mr. Somerset than some anonymous Internet page, what is this numerical listener puzzle you and Dinos love so much? I've long wondered.
The Times do a special kind of crossword called the Listener every Saturday. They are usually incredibly ingeniously and sophisticatedly designed and each is one is very different to your usual crossword. Most of them are rock hard though and I don't bother with the usual ones, but every 3 months (the last Saturday of Feb, May, Aug and Nov I think) comes a numerical puzzle which is invariably awesome, although some are even more awesome than others. They can involve combinations, permutations, some sort of codebreaker as well as other satisfying mathsy stuff and there's often a very deep answer to be found at the end. A lot of them require a lot of trial and error and mathematical manipulation and take days to complete. Others can be done in an hour or two.

Howard I'll try and grab a copy on Saturday (if I have time amongst the other less important stuff happening that day) but if I don't get one, your scan offer is greatly appreciated :) Probably won't get to have a decent go at it until Monday at the latest though so don't get too far ahead! :)
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

It's called The Listener Crossword because it used to feature in the weekly publication The Listener, which was published for many years by the BBC. Along with a whole load of friends at work, I used to have a joine subscription to this magazine, but it was the crossword (the numerical variety in particular) which interested us most. When the BBC announced the closure of its publication, in the 70s I believe, The Times took over just the crossword. I believe the move to having the numerical version on predictable dates is recent, well 25 years recent, anyway.

If anyone gets the paper on Saturday, the crossword is on the inside backpage of the main section. That could save up to 30 minutes of searching.

To maintain the Countdown connection, Joyce Cansfield has won the Listener Crossword competition on more than one occasion, and sometimes she compiles them (but not the ones she wins).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ok, so how does the regular (words, not maths) Listener crossword compare to a normal crossword, or a cryptic crossword?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:Ok, so how does the regular (words, not maths) Listener crossword compare to a normal crossword, or a cryptic crossword?
It is fucking mental.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Michael Wallace wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Ok, so how does the regular (words, not maths) Listener crossword compare to a normal crossword, or a cryptic crossword?
It is fucking mental.
No Michael. Far worse than that.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Getting married and getting the numerical Listener on the same day! Dinos, what could be better?

(Beating little kids on TV?)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

I've now scanned and sent today's puzzle to those who've requested it. Sorry for the delay; I think my paperboy had problems getting out of bed this morning.

New schedule for 2011 onwards. They're bringing the dates forward by one week to the penultimate Saturday in February, May, August and November. So only twelve weeks to wait for the next one. It'll mess me up next August though, it's in the middle of my fortnight in France. I'll have to get someone to save me a copy.