DVD Ripping

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

DVD Ripping

Post by Lesley Hines »

Obviously, no-one on here would ever use software to rip copyrighted material. However, just supposing, hypothetically, that your usual DVD ripping software (Jesterware) wasn't working for a particular DVD, what other software would you recommend? Preferably free although a reasonable charge may be incurred.

Copy of the (obviously non-copyrighted) movie available for good answers :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: DVD Ripping

Post by Jon Corby »

Don't be a knock-off Nigel :(
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

It's not to knock them off, actually. It's because 4 year olds are really destructive to DVDs so I store them all on the hard drive so that the original material remains in tact. The PC's connected to the TV so it's easier to have a movie library on the computer, rather than losing / scratching the original.

Like your social conscience though :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Lesley Hines wrote:It's not to knock them off, actually. It's because 4 year olds are really destructive to DVDs so I store them all on the hard drive so that the original material remains in tact. The PC's connected to the TV so it's easier to have a movie library on the computer, rather than losing / scratching the original.

I didn't think you would be, but I just wanted to contribute and didn't know anything about ripping DVDs.

You're giving them out as Christmas presents really, aren't you?
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Jon Corby wrote:
Lesley Hines wrote:It's not to knock them off, actually. It's because 4 year olds are really destructive to DVDs so I store them all on the hard drive so that the original material remains in tact. The PC's connected to the TV so it's easier to have a movie library on the computer, rather than losing / scratching the original.

I didn't think you would be, but I just wanted to contribute and didn't know anything about ripping DVDs.

You're giving them out as Christmas presents really, aren't you?
Lordy, how tight are you? :lol: :lol: :lol: I know you were about to put my pressie in the post, but it's fine, honestly, you can keep it :lol: :lol:

If you don't already then, as a man with small children, I'd really recommend putting your movies onto the hard drive and attaching the PC to the TV. Sure, it's an easy way to fill 3Tb, but it'll save all those 'favourite DVD is now knackered and this is an ultimate disaster' moments. Plus you can wow your friends by showing them your apterous high scores in 32" glory. (I obviously don't do this.)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

While that all sounds cool, I'm not sure I've actually got any damaged DVDs (although I probably have as it's not outrageously impossible, just can't think of one), and so it seems slightly easier to replace them rather than go to all this trouble as an insurance policy to save £5.99 or whatever. Although I think I am a bit of a dinosaur, I haven't really caught on to the whole 'watching media via the PC' thang yet.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Hines wrote: (I obviously don't do this.)
Quoted for lies.

I use nesoft's Free DVD Ripper for copying stuff to my laptop for train journeys and other occasions when I don't want to cart around physical DVDs. It seems they've discontinued it now but I can send you a copy if you want.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

ISN'T RIPPING DVDS DIFFICULT I MEAN THEY ARE MADE OF PLASTIC AND THAT IS QUITE HARD TO TEAR AND YOU MIGHT BREAK IT AND GET STUFF IN YOUR EYE
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Michael Wallace wrote:ISN'T RIPPING DVDS DIFFICULT I MEAN THEY ARE MADE OF PLASTIC AND THAT IS QUITE HARD TO TEAR AND YOU MIGHT BREAK IT AND GET STUFF IN YOUR EYE
You should try burning them.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:ISN'T RIPPING DVDS DIFFICULT I MEAN THEY ARE MADE OF PLASTIC AND THAT IS QUITE HARD TO TEAR AND YOU MIGHT BREAK IT AND GET STUFF IN YOUR EYE
You should try burning them.
oblig