My Side Of The Sanctum - A Rude Awakening (Almost)

Discuss anything interesting but not remotely Countdown-related here.

Moderator: Jon O'Neill

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

My Side Of The Sanctum - A Rude Awakening (Almost)

Post by James Robinson »

As you might have known, I haven't been commenting much on this whole Sanctum thing and all this behind-the-scenes backstabbing. That's mainly because I haven't bothered to read it.

But, I thought it was time to bite the bullet and see what everyone has been saying about me.

The first bit was probably not too surprising, especially after watching myself back on the TV. I can sort of understand people hating me then and from when I was first on the forum. I personally blame that to being not used to forum speak, as I was not and am still not a member of any other forum, so wasn't aware of "forum etiquette".

The nasty comments seemed to have died down a bit, but, the one thing that I completely can't stand is this completely ludicrous suggestion that I cheated to beat Kirk at CoLei.

I would like it on record that I did NOT cheat. I got that conundrum instantaneously, and have no need to cheat to prove myself, and I can't believe that certain people would think I would do that.

I would like to say that I haven't fully gone into all the details of all these posts, but there seem to be quite a few about my ban from the studios, which definitely seems more widespread than I realised. I would like to say that I still don't really know the exact details about my ban, and probably will never find out.

Now, yes, I do seem like a boring person with an addiction to this show (and Huddersfield Town too, in fairness), and, yes, I probably am. I just have a less interesting life than just about all of you.

I have no bad feelings about anyone in particular. Maybe the odd minor thing about a couple of people, but certainly not enough to merit a complete dislike to a certain person.

I think I'm going to have a sleep now, before I say something that I will definitely regret.

I would like to say though, that I care a lot about just about every single one of you, and this forum is one of the first places where I feel like I belong and don't feel like an outsider or someone who has no clue about anything.

And don't worry, I have no intentions of leaving this place. That's one thing I will guarantee. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Re: My Side Of The Sanctum - A Rude Awakening (Almost)

Post by Andy Wilson »

Good morning James. You're a fucking ledge bag. That's short for legend, the bag is something I throw on because you're more than a ledge. Delighted you're sticking round and look forward to getting to know you better.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

James Robinson wrote: I think I'm going to have a sleep now, before I say something that I will definitely regret.
Good lad! Finally someone does something sensible! :)
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

James Robinson wrote:As you might have known, I haven't been commenting much on this whole Sanctum thing and all this behind-the-scenes backstabbing. That's mainly because I haven't bothered to read it.

But, I thought it was time to bite the bullet and see what everyone has been saying about me.

The first bit was probably not too surprising, especially after watching myself back on the TV. I can sort of understand people hating me then and from when I was first on the forum. I personally blame that to being not used to forum speak, as I was not and am still not a member of any other forum, so wasn't aware of "forum etiquette".

The nasty comments seemed to have died down a bit, but, the one thing that I completely can't stand is this completely ludicrous suggestion that I cheated to beat Kirk at CoLei.

I would like it on record that I did NOT cheat. I got that conundrum instantaneously, and have no need to cheat to prove myself, and I can't believe that certain people would think I would do that.

I would like to say that I haven't fully gone into all the details of all these posts, but there seem to be quite a few about my ban from the studios, which definitely seems more widespread than I realised. I would like to say that I still don't really know the exact details about my ban, and probably will never find out.

Now, yes, I do seem like a boring person with an addiction to this show (and Huddersfield Town too, in fairness), and, yes, I probably am. I just have a less interesting life than just about all of you.

I have no bad feelings about anyone in particular. Maybe the odd minor thing about a couple of people, but certainly not enough to merit a complete dislike to a certain person.

I think I'm going to have a sleep now, before I say something that I will definitely regret.

I would like to say though, that I care a lot about just about every single one of you, and this forum is one of the first places where I feel like I belong and don't feel like an outsider or someone who has no clue about anything.

And don't worry, I have no intentions of leaving this place. That's one thing I will guarantee. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-)
Top post, others could learn a lot from your example. Fwiw I do genuinely apologise to you for anything I may have said in the sanctum that hurt- all of that was before I had a chance to meet you and see what a good guy you are. Glad to you know you'll be here a while. :mrgreen:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Well-reasoned post James. I was pretty vocal about my dislike for you initially, and we had one or two run-ins early on. I'd also like to think though that it was pretty obvious when this turned around, and I stuck up for you on more than one occasion. You'll have hopefully seen all that mirrored in the Sanctum thread. Can't/won't comment any further on the cheating allegations as I wasn't there, but at least I now have both sides of the story.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I'm glad you're staying man, I know some people said some bad stuff in that thread that they definitely didn't mean, and I am definitely one of them. If you say you didn't cheat against Kirk then I believe you.

People like you are what make this community great.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Does Charlie realise that all this sanctum chat in open forum is guaranteed to make some of us feel a bit left out and therefore a bit less happy about using the bloody forum at all.
One 'sanctum' I am in has a sacrosanct understanding that anyone who breaks the 'code' is OUT. No-one does.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Well said, James.

The manner of your reply confirms what I've heard about you from someone totally unconnected with Countdown. (you may recall who it was, as i mentioned this person to you about eighteen months ago)

Very glad that you're not planning to leave. I look forward to reading more from you, and communicating more with you, and hopefully meeting you again sometime, maybe at a Co-event.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

John Bosley wrote:One 'sanctum' I am in has a sacrosanct understanding that anyone who breaks the 'code' is OUT. No-one does.
Nobody in the sactum did break the "code", John.

It was despicable behavour by someone else, someone who maliciously hacked into accounts, and in full knowledge of what he was doing, cruelly made public private information, in full knowledge of the hurt and anguish that would cause to many people. He is the person who should really be object of people's anger.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

For what it's worth, the cheating allegation was also made in one of the CoLei threads, so it's not as if it was done behind people's backs. What I find most amusing about the whole matter is how seriously Kirk takes every defeat.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I'm glad you're staying man, I know some people said some bad stuff in that thread that they definitely didn't mean, and I am definitely one of them. If you say you didn't cheat against Kirk then I believe you.

People like you are what make this community great.
Yeah, this. (I am too lazy and it is too early for me to try and come up with saying the same thing in different words.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

One thing about the Sanctum is that we don't usually bother to go back and correct earlier posts when opinions change, and you're probably the best example of that. Although you sometimes come across badly in text, I've come to see past that and I genuinely think you are a top guy. Meeting you at CoLon cemented that impression completely. I wasn't kidding about inviting you to my house next time the Mighty Terriers are in Cambridge.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Charlie Reams wrote:I wasn't kidding about inviting you to my house next time the Mighty Terriers are in Cambridge.
Based on the 2 games we had against recently, I hope that we won't meet for a long time. :lol:

Which is a shame, because I'd quite like to come down Cambridge way. 8-)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

James Robinson wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I wasn't kidding about inviting you to my house next time the Mighty Terriers are in Cambridge.
Based on the 2 games we had against recently, I hope that we won't meet for a long time. :lol:

Which is a shame, because I'd quite like to come down Cambridge way. 8-)
So that's the nickname for Charlie's backside.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

I definitely had a negative opinion of you at first, James. I don't think I concealed it on here and definitely not in the sanctum. I have to say you are one of my favourite opponents on apterous and my view of you, which was based on hearsay and limited interaction with you, has definitely changed.

Glad you're staying; you are truly one of the most prolific contributors here and a gent to boot!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Bishop wrote: What I find most amusing about the whole matter is how seriously Kirk takes every defeat.
I don't all the time. When I lost to Innis at COLON I was more than happy and was outplayed. I wasn't happy the way the game ended against James but that's the nature of COLEI, you can hit the table and not write anything down straight away and continue to look at the screen when you really should be writing and not hiding your answer. But hey.

Oh, and for what it's worth James, I actually like you as a person but your behaviour against me and Conor really annoyed me in Leicester. I told people that there and I'll repeat it here.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Oh, and for what it's worth James, I actually like you as a person but your behaviour against me and Conor really annoyed me in Leicester. I told people that there and I'll repeat it here.
Kirk, I still have no clue as to what you think I have done wrong. :?

I went to Leicester hoping to finally prove myself after doing reasonably well at London.

When I was drawn against you, I thought immediately, as you probably remember from my reaction at the draw that I wasn't looking forward to it.

But, I was pumped up and knew that anything could have realistically happened. Even when I took an early lead in our game, I knew I was going to have to be on top form, to keep up the pace, and when I fell behind midway through, I knew I needed to keep calm, especially after missing that 8 in the last letters game, and then thinking I blew the last numbers game.

That conundrum I knew was going to be hard to beat you on. But, when I saw it, I knew it straight away, and the first thing I had to do was make sure I buzzed in. Now, I don't know exactly why you thought I just buzzed in hoping that I would have just "Hansforded" it, because in my opinion, that would have achieved nothing.

If I'd have done that and won, I would feel ashamed to win like that, and not really classify it as a win. If I'd have done that and lost, I would feel like a complete twat.

The only thing I can think of that would make you think I was cheating was that I making sure I had got the conundrum scramble correct, since I was doing the recap, as I pointed out to you at the time, which would obviously require me to look at the screen.

As for the game with Conor, I didn't even buzz in nearly as quick, and if I wanted to cheat there too, I could've done it on the first conundrum too, but Conor beat me to that one fair and square.

I was very happy with myself that day. I came 3rd and beat 3 series champions. I even shared a train back with you and thought this was a brilliant day.

And then when I get home, I'm accused of winning by luck, not skill. That really hurts, because it sounds like you want to discredit just about anything good that I've done.

I was feeling on top of the world (even though I didn't win the whole tournament) and then you basically decide to say, "Well, clearly he cheated."
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Jambo wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:Oh, and for what it's worth James, I actually like you as a person but your behaviour against me and Conor really annoyed me in Leicester. I told people that there and I'll repeat it here.
Kirk, I still have no clue as to what you think I have done wrong. :?
I went to Leicester hoping to finally prove myself...you basically decide to say, "Well, clearly he cheated."
Awesome.

Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Martin Bishop wrote: What I find most amusing about the whole matter is how seriously Kirk takes every defeat.
I don't all the time. When I lost to Innis at COLON I was more than happy and was outplayed. I wasn't happy the way the game ended against James but that's the nature of COLEI, you can hit the table and not write anything down straight away and continue to look at the screen when you really should be writing and not hiding your answer. But hey.
I struggle to explain why I find it funny. To the outsider, "cheating controversy at non-televised amateur countdown tournament" is somewhat ridiculous. I think when this is combined with how rare it is for you to lose and your boyish enthusiasm for the game and for life in general it amuses me.

Anyway, love you Kirk.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

You can't love Countdown and not love James Robinson. Science has proved it doesn't work that way.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James. You hit the table as soon as it turned over. I got it instantly too and hit the table just after you. I started to write it down and then you hit the table a second time. This was odd. I even questioned you after about this and you claimed it was "to make sure I'd buzzed" which is ridiculous because I'd have been quicker than your last buzz so it was redundant. Anyway I'd finished writing the whole thing and you were still pretending to write (quite clearly) and looking up and down at the screen - your hand still covering your answer. My hand was well away from my answer as there was no need to hide it - once you've got the conundrum you could show me!! I even asked you to move your hand to see what you had written -- sure enough there were scribble marks on your page as if you were pretending to write down and then the answer after. I really wasn't happy with the Hansfording so I commented on it to people, including Bayfield when we sat in DC. I said "watch JR at this conundrum". Sure enough you buzzed instantly and proceeded to keep looking up and down. Now surely if you'd got the conundrum instantly there's no reason to keep staring at the screen, is there James? Or are you just using those extra 5 seconds just to confirm what you thought it was? The format for the conundrums at COLEI is always going to encourage Hansfording, which I believe is a great shame. Whether you class that as cheating or not is your prerogative but I certainly do.

It's not as if I'm just sore to lose as I won the whole event - I was just annoyed in which the way you got the conundrum against me and Conor - both exactly the same circumstances. I am also not trying to take away your achievements - you played very well against me...but I'm letting you know what I observed rather than hide it and pretend it didn't happen.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Can I ask both you and James not to turn this thread into a tit-for-tat please - mainly because what you're discussing should've been sorted at the time.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Can I ask both you and James not to turn this thread into a tit-for-tat please - mainly because what you're discussing should've been sorted at the time.
Haha...was gonna refer to Clayton's comment here but thought best to leave it out.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Ryan Taylor wrote:Can I ask both you and James not to turn this thread into a tit-for-tat please - mainly because what you're discussing should've been sorted at the time.
Haha...was gonna refer to Clayton's comment here but thought best to leave it out.
Well, then maybe I should hopefully bring it to an end.

This tournament was completely new to me, as the format was different to Co:Lon.

I was probably covering just to make sure no-one else could see my answer. (It does sound stupid in hindsight, I grant you, after all, who would try and lurk across to see the answer.)

And at the start of the conundrum, I was focusing entirely on the screen (in case you weren't there, Kirk was directly facing the screen, whereas I had to turn my head 90° clockwise to see the screen, as I was sitting on the side of the table), so I had no clue that you had buzzed in, although I assumed you probably had done.

The reason that I looked at the screen was not to clarify, mainly because I already had my answer and I was too sure not to bother to check, but mainly as to not be a distraction, after the water pouring incident in the previous game.

I hope this has cleared it up once and for all.

And I do offer an apology if you think I was behaving inappropriately during the tournament.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

James Robinson wrote:
The reason that I looked at the screen was not to clarify, mainly because I already had my answer and I was too sure not to bother to check, but mainly as to not be a distraction, after the water pouring incident in the previous game.
If you're going to find an excuse, mate, this is probably one of the worst possible. You were more of a distraction as your head kept moving from your pad to the screen.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Kirk Bevins wrote:You were more of a distraction as your head kept moving from your pad to the screen.
As likely an excuse as Richard Brittain hacking your Apterous account and losing to Jason Larsen on purpose.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:You were more of a distraction as your head kept moving from your pad to the screen.
As likely an excuse as Richard Brittain hacking your Apterous account and losing to Jason Larsen on purpose.
FIX THE LIKES!!! FIX THE LIKES!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Lowering the averages since 2009