Thursday 25 November 1982 (Series 1, Prelim 15)

Any recaps from older series should be posted here. This forum is unlikely to contain spoilers, but recaps may contain "forward references" if they are written much later, so approach with caution.

Moderator: James Robinson

Post Reply
User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Fanatic
Posts: 2243
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Thursday 25 November 1982 (Series 1, Prelim 15)

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:40 pm

A HUGE thanks to Andy Bruno for this episode.

Please note I don't have the COD7 so OT needs checking against that.

Countdown recap for Thursday 25 November 1982.

C1: Champion Joe Guy (3 wins, ? points.) A numbers demon, according to Richard.
C2: Challenger Andrew Bruno. A 27-year-old sales executive from Manchester, who also does amateur photography.
DC: Mary and Kenneth Williams.
CV: Carol Vorderman.
OT: Other words or solutions.

(C1 and C2 are in the right order by the way - we had them down the other way round.)

R01: E O S J I W N T P
R02: G W Q A E T N I G
R03: A O U V N C E E S
R04: 50, 8, 10, 2, 3, 9. Target: 185.
R05: G Y I A S L O S A
R06: E K O O B U E S T
R07: L B I R O E G O V
R08: 25, 5, 10, 3, 6, 2. Target: 662.
R09: S S C C O M A I N (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: E O S J I W N T P

Joe: 5 (0) (not asked)
Andrew: PONIES (6)
OT: TOWNIES (7)
Score: 0–6 (max 7)

Round 2: G W Q A E T N I G

Joe: EATING (6)
Andrew: TWINGE (6)
DC: WAGING (6)
OT: AGEING (6) GATING (6) TAWING (6) TEAING (6)
Score: 6–12 (max 13)

Kenneth says he didn't get TWINGE or EATING. So quite how he missed EATING in the process of WAGING is beyond me.

Round 3: A O U V N C E E S

Joe: 6 (0) (not asked)
Andrew: AVENUES (7)
Score: 6–19 (max 20)

Kenneth didn't even realise there were two Es in the selection.

Round 4: 50, 8, 10, 2, 3, 9. Target: 185.

Joe: 186.
Andrew: 185. 2 × 9 × 10 + 8 − 3 (10)
Score: 6–29 (max 30)

"I don't think anyone can argue with that," comments Carol.

Round 5: G Y I A S L O S A

Joe: ASSAIL (6)
Andrew: GASSY (5)
OT: GAYALS (6) GLASSY (6) GLOSSY (6) SAIGAS (6)
Score: 12–29 (max 36)

Andrew was not initially asked for his 5 but Kenneth did ask for it out of interest.

Round 6: E K O O B U E S T

Joe: BOOST (5)
Andrew: STOKE (5)
DC: BOOTEES (7)
Score: 17–34 (max 43)

Kenneth launches into a rant about how he can't fit in BOOTEES any more.

Round 7: L B I R O E G O V

Joe: overbig
Andrew: GROOVE (6)
OT: OBLIGER (7) OBLIGOR (7)
Score: 17–40 (max 50)

Andrew forgets to declare his length initially, prompting Joe to risk the 7. Mary takes quite a while to rule out OVERBIG^, so Andrew's GROOVE takes it.

Round 8: 25, 5, 10, 3, 6, 2. Target: 662.

Joe: 690. 25 × 10 × 3 − 5 × 6 × 2 (5)
Andrew: 650. Mistake in working.
OT: 662. (25 − 3) × 6 × 5 + 2 (10)
Score: 22–40 (max 60)

You used to get 5 points back then if you were the closer, with no limit on how far out you could be. Richard completely forgets to ask Carol.

Round 9: S S C C O M A I N

Andrew buzzes on 28 seconds to say AMNIOSIS which is incorrect.
Joe does not buzz.
The answer was MOCCASINS.
Score: 22–40 (max 70)

That conundrum probably wouldn't be set today with its -S ending.

Further summaries are at:
http://cdb.apterous.org/series.php?series=1

Edit: OT corrected against Jack Worsley's COD8, but still no COD7.
Last edited by Rhys Benjamin on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Mike Brown
Legend
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: King's Lynn
Contact:

Re: Thursday 25 November 1982 (Series 1, Prelim 15)

Post by Mike Brown » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:26 pm

Cool, do you know if he has the details for any more of his games?

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Fanatic
Posts: 2243
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Thursday 25 November 1982 (Series 1, Prelim 15)

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:41 pm

He’s in the process of ripping his episodes to his computer, but this appears to be taking a while. He sent me the video of Ep15 today.

What worries me is the fact the contestants were the “wrong” way round compared to TCDP and (before today) the wiki. Episode 312’s credits are on YouTube which was also “wrong”, and I have changed Episode 28 as well on the wiki.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Mike Brown
Legend
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: King's Lynn
Contact:

Re: Thursday 25 November 1982 (Series 1, Prelim 15)

Post by Mike Brown » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:41 pm
He’s in the process of ripping his episodes to his computer, but this appears to be taking a while. He sent me the video of Ep15 today.

What worries me is the fact the contestants were the “wrong” way round compared to TCDP and (before today) the wiki. Episode 312’s credits are on YouTube which was also “wrong”, and I have changed Episode 28 as well on the wiki.
Really looking forward to seeing more from Andy. What worries you exactly, Rhys? Some of the early episodes on TCP have the names the wrong way round because I either never saw them at the time (very rare), only had an audio recording to work from or I didn't make full notes at the time (blame my not having a TV when I first started uni). When I retire (God willing) I might finally get round to fixing my version to match the wiki!

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10018
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Thursday 25 November 1982 (Series 1, Prelim 15)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:06 pm

Mike Brown wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:02 pm
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:41 pm
He’s in the process of ripping his episodes to his computer, but this appears to be taking a while. He sent me the video of Ep15 today.

What worries me is the fact the contestants were the “wrong” way round compared to TCDP and (before today) the wiki. Episode 312’s credits are on YouTube which was also “wrong”, and I have changed Episode 28 as well on the wiki.
Really looking forward to seeing more from Andy. What worries you exactly, Rhys? Some of the early episodes on TCP have the names the wrong way round because I either never saw them at the time (very rare), only had an audio recording to work from or I didn't make full notes at the time (blame my not having a TV when I first started uni). When I retire (God willing) I might finally get round to fixing my version to match the wiki!
I think he's worried that they might be the wrong way round on all games. I'm pretty scared myself.

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Fanatic
Posts: 2243
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Thursday 25 November 1982 (Series 1, Prelim 15)

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:36 pm

Gevin is correct.

If you look at the Wiki Robbo flipped them about 10 years ago to match TCDP. But like I said, the fact we now know several of them were wrong implies that many of them are wrong. Especially if they're audio recordings, it could be the case most episodes from Series 1-20 have them incorrect.

This is the clip of 312 I was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtMwRqY ... rtinPotter
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

User avatar
Mike Brown
Legend
Posts: 1411
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: King's Lynn
Contact:

Re: Thursday 25 November 1982 (Series 1, Prelim 15)

Post by Mike Brown » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:36 pm
Gevin is correct.

If you look at the Wiki Robbo flipped them about 10 years ago to match TCDP. But like I said, the fact we now know several of them were wrong implies that many of them are wrong. Especially if they're audio recordings, it could be the case most episodes from Series 1-20 have them incorrect.

This is the clip of 312 I was referring to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtMwRqY ... rtinPotter
I'd be surprised if much after Series 8 is wrong as after that I pretty much noted every round and if I recall correctly the person on the left always used to pick the letters in Round 1. So the biggest 'risk' lies in the first three series, Series 7 and the first few weeks of Series 8.

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Fanatic
Posts: 2243
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Thursday 25 November 1982 (Series 1, Prelim 15)

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:25 pm

I have a definitive answer from Episode 17 - which I'm just posting now: "Andrew won the toss".
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 10018
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Thursday 25 November 1982 (Series 1, Prelim 15)

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:31 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:36 pm
Gevin is correct.
You could make that your signature.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests