The pattern

Any recaps from older series should be posted here. This forum is unlikely to contain spoilers, but recaps may contain "forward references" if they are written much later, so approach with caution.

Moderator: James Robinson

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

The pattern

Post by Jason Larsen »

I just noticed something. When I take a look at this section of the forum, I notice that all of the episodes are from 2003.

Why is this, or I should ask what is so significant about that year?

I was just wondering.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: The pattern

Post by Charlie Reams »

I think you should do more thinking and less posting.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm sorry, Soo.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

The helpful response to this is:

This forum is for recaps from the old days, before we had a recaps system on the forum.. well, before the forum existed. Soo is getting details of the games from Mike Brown, who, admirably, has kept records of every round from way back near the start.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I was just wondering, why 2003?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

It was the start of the 15-round era, when the show changed from 30 to 45 minutes. The next step towards having every game ever recapped is doing all of the 15-rounders, and Soo is on the case.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Good work.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Thanks.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Ginger Jono wrote:It was the start of the 15-round era, when the show changed from 30 to 45 minutes. The next step towards having every game ever recapped is doing all of the 15-rounders, and Soo is on the case.
Small correction, Jono: the 15-rounders started in 2001. The basic plan is to work backwards, filling in the gaps, and we're currently on Series 49. And thanks for admiring me in your other post (I think).

Mike.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I was referring to Mike, if he's around here.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Mike Brown wrote:
Ginger Jono wrote:It was the start of the 15-round era, when the show changed from 30 to 45 minutes. The next step towards having every game ever recapped is doing all of the 15-rounders, and Soo is on the case.
Small correction, Jono: the 15-rounders started in 2001. The basic plan is to work backwards, filling in the gaps, and we're currently on Series 49. And thanks for admiring me in your other post (I think).

Mike.
Cheers for correcting. And yes, I do admire you, probably too much.
Jason Larsen wrote:I was referring to Mike, if he's around here.
I haven't seen him in years.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Of course!
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Ginger Jono wrote:Cheers for correcting. And yes, I do admire you, probably too much.
How ever so slightly scary... to even things up a bit, I marvel at your "4 from the top" skills; you'll have to give me lessons some time :lol:
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Save it for the bathhouses lads, this is a Countdown forum.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

And Mike is working his way back, from the very end to the very beginning.

That's the opposite of what most people would do if they were in his position.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Jason Larsen wrote:And Mike is working his way back, from the very end to the very beginning.

That's the opposite of what most people would do if they were in his position.
I'm not sure whether that's a compliment, an insult or totally neutral, Jason!!

Anyway, it wasn't exclusively my decision. Also, given that we are (probably) never going to get right back to Series 1, it seems sensible to me to start with programmes more people might remember (and also gives us a sporting chance of getting the 15-rounders done in a relatively short time frame: say, a couple of years or so!). Plus, like many others on this forum, I'm not most people...

Mike.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Mike, to tell you the truth I did not look at your Countdown page as much as I looked at the Countdown Corral and posted in the mailing list.

I just wanted to say that it is great work, regardless of how it's done. I'm not sure if you have time on your hands or someone is obligating you to do past Countdown recaps. I did not mean for what I said to be bad.

So, in other words my tone when I posted that message was neutral. I just thought I would inquire about the pattern because I didn't know at first.

Please know that even though the first thing I see when I visit your Countdown page is an acknowledgement that Craig Beevers had won the last season, I like your persistence in writing past recaps.

Because I don't always visit your Countdown page, I'm not sure how often you update it. But, when I first visited it close to four years ago once was enough to think to myself, "This is a great website, and I like it very much!"

If I could come all the way over to England and shake your hand, I would.

Well done on your Countdown page.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Jason Larsen wrote:Mike, to tell you the truth I did not look at your Countdown page as much as I looked at the Countdown Corral and posted in the mailing list.

I just wanted to say that it is great work, regardless of how it's done. I'm not sure if you have time on your hands or someone is obligating you to do past Countdown recaps. I did not mean for what I said to be bad.

So, in other words my tone when I posted that message was neutral. I just thought I would inquire about the pattern because I didn't know at first.

Please know that even though the first thing I see when I visit your Countdown page is an acknowledgement that Craig Beevers had won the last season, I like your persistence in writing past recaps.

Because I don't always visit your Countdown page, I'm not sure how often you update it. But, when I first visited it close to four years ago once was enough to think to myself, "This is a great website, and I like it very much!"

If I could come all the way over to England and shake your hand, I would.

Well done on your Countdown page.
No offence taken, Jason. I must confess that I don't dedicate as much time these days to keeping my website up to date (it was pretty much a weekly affair for a couple of years), so am not surprised that you (and others) visit other sites more often. I'm glad to have been (and still be) involved with such an active on-line community, to be honest, and I still try to update my site every month or so (it varies). As for the recaps, the arrangement is that I scan my original hand-written notes from the old shows and Charlie and a team of other eager beavers convert them into the historical recaps that you see on here. I do occasionally write recaps myself, but it doesn't happen too often these days. And thanks for the compliments... :)

Mike.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You are very welcome, Mike

I hope you'll still be here with us.