Wednesday 13th February 2013 (30th Champs, Round 2, Game 3)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Wednesday 13th February 2013 (30th Champs, Round 2, Game 3)

Post by James Robinson »

It's not very that Huddersfield Town seem to win matches nowadays, so imagine my ecstasy last night when they beat Leicester just 6 weeks after being tonked 6-1. ;) :) :D

Well, it's time for me to get back in the Wednesday recapping saddle and hopefully, a good 30th Birthday Championship game can follow that brilliant game last night.

Let's enjoy, although it'll have some way to beat Sean Scannell's "Ricky Villa-esque" goal last night. 8-) 8-)

Countdown recap for Wednesday 13 February 2013.

C1: Series 28 Quarter-Finalist Chris Hawkins (7 Games, 5 Wins, 443 Points.) A maths teacher and expert Scrabbler from Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.
C2: Series 54 Champion & CoC XII Semi-Finalist Conor Travers (16 Games, 15 Wins, 1,775 Points.) An Apteforumite and maths student at St. John's College, Cambridge.
DC: Susie Dent and Ken Bruce.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: D T N A I U R O T
R02: K N S I E O L P T
R03: N R G A E U Z N A
R04: D H D I O E S I O
R05: 75, 2, 9, 4, 10, 7. Target: 643.
TTT: HARKBOIL - "Hark! Be sure to boil this veg properly"
R06: G W Y E A E T R U
R07: Q S B I E O M R N
R08: R T S I U E F T R
R09: S N F O A I M U S
R10: 25, 75, 50, 100, 2, 5. Target: 335.
TTT: GENTSLIP - "There's "mortar" this activity than meets the eye"
R11: G P T E O A N C W
R12: S P V U A E C S D
R13: R M T O U A O L P
R14: 100, 3, 7, 9, 6, 4. Target: 948.
R15: T I I N Y B E E R (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: D T N A I U R O T

C1: DURATION (8)
C2: DURATION (8)
DC: DURIAN (6) turandot
Score: 8–8 (max 8)

Well, that's a brilliant start for our contestants. Long may it continue for the DURATION of this match. :)

Round 2: K N S I E O L P T

C1: PINKEST (7)
C2: EPSILON (7)
DC: plonkiest
OT: ENTISOL (7) LENTISK (7) LEPTONS (7) ONLIEST (7) PINKOES (7) PINTLES (7) PIOLETS (7) PISTOLE (7) POINTES (7) POKIEST (7) PONTILS (7) TINKLES (7)
Score: 15–15 (max 15)

There looked like there was a well odd 8 there, and indeed there was, SLIPKNOT. :P 8-) Unfortunately, it's not in the dictionary. :(

An ENTISOL is a fertile soil of recent origin that is distinguished by a lack of horizons and is found worldwide in all climates.
A LENTISK (or MASTIC TREE) is a small Mediterranean tree, Pistacia lentiscus, of the cashew family, that is the source of an aromatic resin used in making varnish and adhesives.
A LEPTON is an aluminum coin of modern Greece until the euro was adopted, the 100th part of a drachma.
A PINKO is a person regarded as mildly left-wing.
A PINTLE is a pin or bolt, especially one on which something turns, as the gudgeon of a hinge.
A PIOLET is an ice ax used in mountaineering.
A PONTIL (or PUNTY) is an iron rod used in glassmaking for handling the hot glass.

Well, after that input of information, I need a cooldown, but unfortunately, the fact that my important analysis of this game is too important, means I can't afford that luxury. :P

Round 3: N R G A E U Z N A

C1: GUNNERA (7)
C2: GUNNERA (7)
DC: GUNNER (6)
Score: 22–22 (max 22)

Another darren each, slightly more embarrassing for DC, who forget to stick the A on the end.............. :roll: :oops:

Round 4: D H D I O E S I O

C1: HOODIES (7)
C2: HOODIES (7)
DC: SHOOED (6)
OT: IODIDES (7) IODISED (7)
Score: 29–29 (max 29)

Now, they're hiding under a HOODIE each. At least their talent isn't being hidden under there. :D

Round 5: 75, 2, 9, 4, 10, 7. Target: 643.

C1: 643. (9 x 75) - ((10 - 2) x 4) (10)
C2: 643. (9 x 75) - ((10 - 2) x 4) (10)
Score: 39–39 (max 39)

On the surface, this numbers looked slightly tricky, but these 2 can easily see past that thin veil of deception to end on a double max first half. 8-) 8-) 8-)

MORE OF THE SAME PLEASE. ;) :) :D :arrow:

Ken talks about the "7 signs of ageing", and how to recognise them.

Teatime teaser: HARKBOIL -> KOHLRABI

Round 6: G W Y E A E T R U

C1: GYRATE (6)
C2: WATERY (6)
OT: ARGUTE (6) EATERY (6) TUYERE (6)
Score: 45–45 (max 45)

Another deceptive round here, but there was only 6 for tops here..... :roll:

ARGUTE is an adjective meaning sagacious, acute, subtle or shrewd.
A TUYERE is an opening through which the blast of air enters a blast furnace, cupola, forge, or the like, to facilitate combustion.

Round 7: Q S B I E O M R N

C1: BROMINE (7)
C2: BROMINE (7)
OT: MERINOS (7)
Score: 52–52 (max 52)

You could clearly tell that both Chris and Conor were tempted to stick the S on the end of BROMINE, probably more so Chris, after he missed BROMIDES in his last game, but both take the sensible option and stick to the safety of 7. :D

A MERINO is one of a breed of sheep, raised originally in Spain, valued for their fine wool.

Round 8: R T S I U E F T R

C1: TRUSTIER (8)
C2: TRUSTIER (8)
DC: FRITTERS (8) FRUITERS (8)
OT: FURRIEST (8) TURFIEST (8)
Score: 60–60 (max 60)

Quite a few impressive 8's in this selection. These guys are just brilliant at the moment, never mind 20-20 vision, I've got 60-60 vision at the moment. :P

Round 9: S N F O A I M U S

C1: INFAMOUS (8)
C2: INFAMOUS (8)
Score: 68–68 (max 68)

This INFAMOUS offering means that we have completed the first nine rounds with exactly ZERO points dropped by the players.

100%, perfection, whatever you like to call it. It gets a ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) from me, which is only ever good.

Susie's Origins Of Words talks about the origins of "Rachel" and the phrase, "life of Riley".

Round 10: 25, 75, 50, 100, 2, 5. Target: 335.

C1: - :shock: :o
C2: 335. ((50 + 2) x 5) + 75 (10)
Score: 68–78 (max 78)

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!! Well, after that dose of perfection in the previous 9 rounds, Chris surrenders his max game after missing a relatively simple 4 large numbers. :( :cry:

Well then, young Conor, you now have the whole c4c/Apteworld on your shoulders, as it is now your duty to be the first person to achieve a 15-round max game on the telly. (We do all know that Kirk is an android, right :?: :P :lol: )

Let's get the max counter activated :!: :idea:

Chris: 9 Conor: 10

Teatime teaser: GENTSLIP -> PESTLING

Round 11: G P T E O A N C W

C1: COGNATE (7)
C2: PATONCE (7)
Score: 75–85 (max 85)

Both maxes are attained by the contestants. 4 to go now for Conor, but as long as Chris is still clinging on, it's not gonna be easy for him. :shock: :o 8-)

MAX COUNTER :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Chris: 10 Conor: 11 :)

Round 12: S P V U A E C S D

C1: SPACES (6)
C2: UPCASED (7)
OT: UPCASES (7)
Score: 75–92 (max 92)

Well, this suddenly makes it more interesting, as Conor goes for the jugular with a 7 and gets it bang on :!: :!: 8-) 8-)

3 TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) :) :D

MAX COUNTER :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Chris: 10 Conor: 12 :D

Round 13: R M T O U A O L P

C1: outlap
C2: TAPROOM (7)
Score: 75–99 (max 99)

GAME, SET AND MATCH, and off to the TAPROOM for Conor. 8-) (Although, even though he's 21, he still looks sub 18. :lol: )

He's got all the letters maxed, but can he sum it up in the numbers, and can he unscramble the conundrum............... :?: :?: :?:

MAX COUNTER :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Chris: 10 Conor: 13

Just to add a little extra pressure, Rachel even informs Conor that he's still on for a max game. How does she get this information, I wonder............ :? :? :?: :?:

Round 14: 100, 3, 7, 9, 6, 4. Target: 948.

C1: 948. ((100 + 6) x 9) - (7 + 3 - 4) (10)
C2: 948. (100 x 9) + ((7 + 4 - 3) x 6) (10)
Score: 85–109 (max 109)

It's safely executed by Conor (and Chris too), which means it's the moment of truth......................

MAX COUNTER :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Chris: 11 Conor: 14

We are on the verge of another perfect game here. It's in a way amazing to think that only 2 weeks ago, there had only ever been 1 max game in the show's 15-round format history, which is over 11 years old. Now, we are on the verge of a 2nd in 9 episodes!!!

Let's just say, this tournament has already exceeded probably everyone's expectations :!: :!: Now, can we have ourselves another max game to celebrate :?: :?: (PLEASE BE YES. 8-) 8-) 8-) )

Round 15: T I I N Y B E E R

TICK
T

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

C2 buzzes on 1.25 seconds

(PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE)

to say INEBRIETY

(COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

which is....................

(THIS IS AGONY WAITING)

CORRECT.

Final Score: 85–119 (max 119)

MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!! MAX GAME!!!!

;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :shock: :o :P

OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD OVERLOAD

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe what I have just witnessed :!: :!: :!: It is indeed an honour and a privilege to be recapping a max game. :D :D :D 8-) 8-) 8-)

And Conor is indeed a man worthy of having a max game to his name, especially after having one cruelly taken away from in his match with Mark last week.

Credit goes to Chris too for sticking with Conor for so long. Bit of a shame that it fell apart at what was probably the easiest of the 3 numbers games in today's show.

Well, after that brilliant game, tomorrow's game is gonna have to be a double max game or a record-breaking score match to be just as good as today's game.

That match is between the champions of Series 47 & 63, Chris Wills and Jack Hurst. Will Jack be able to avenge himself after the 143/150 miss last week :?:

Join me tomorrow for that.

So, till then, bye bye. ;) :) :D :mrgreen: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Statistics Corner

Chris:
Total score - 85
Raw score - 91
Total % of max - 71
Raw % of max - 76
Total average score per round - 5.7
Raw average score per round - 6.1
Number of maxes - 11 8-)

Conor:
Total score - 119
Raw score - 119
Total % of max - 100
Raw % of max - 100
Total average score per round - 7.9
Raw average score per round - 7.9
Number of maxes - 15 ;) :) :D :geek: :ugeek: 8-) :shock: :o

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=-16
Mark Ivey
Rookie

Re: Wednesday 13th February 2013 (30th Champs, Round 2, Game

Post by Mark Ivey »

My god... this excitement meter is going off the scale!

Great recap for a great game! Thanks James
James Robinson wrote:Well, after that brilliant game, tomorrow's game is gonna have to be a double max game or a record-breaking score match to be just as good as today's game.
How could you get a double max game? Someone would have to drop a point at the final conundrum.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Mark Ivey wrote:How could you get a double max game? Someone would have to drop a point at the final conundrum.
Double max game = both players max the first 14 rounds (and one of them gets the conundrum, presumably).
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

29 maxes out of 29 yeap
David Barnard
Enthusiast

Post by David Barnard »

I'm starting to get concerned about James and if all of this excitement is getting too much for him lol