Wednesday 8th August 2012 (Series 67, Prelim 23)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Wednesday 8th August 2012 (Series 67, Prelim 23)

Post by Graeme Cole »

Countdown recap for Wednesday 8 August 2012.

Welcome to my third recap this week - James is away watching some football match or other, so I've stepped in today.

We kick off with a rant about the AA. Today they sent me a letter saying how they're going to renew my breakdown cover at a 25% discount, and they'll just be taking the money out of my account in three weeks, no questions asked. They went on to quote a renewal price that's £65 higher than what I paid last year, so either they're quite catastrophically bad at maths or they think I've got a short memory. Either way, words are going to be exchanged. Anyway, they included this picture in their letter which should at least please Michael Wallace.

Anyway, rant over. I think I was going to do some kind of recap.

C1: Champion Grant Waters (1 win, 96 points) triumphed yesterday with the crucial conundrum SUBMARINE on his first game. Today we'll see if he can make it two.
C2: Challenger Tom Larner is a student from Gosport. He's a collector of obscure football shirts.
DC: Susie Dent and Mark Foster.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: L D P N E A U O S
R02: F M A E B T K A R
R03: S S T R I E I L O
R04: M R Q M E I U T A
R05: 100, 10, 8, 6, 8, 1. Target: 502.
TTT: ANYLEADS - "Looked closely at the evidence for any leads."
R06: L R S R O I E D I
R07: N G A Z E O T W E
R08: C Y G I O I N S N
R09: S L P E I A R E J
R10: 75, 25, 9, 1, 10, 4. Target: 586.
TTT: MEDDLEUP - "Put up quite a plucky performance, perhaps?"
R11: H X S O A U O G D
R12: N T M P E A I R W
R13: T S F O A E D I G
R14: 50, 100, 7, 9, 6, 3. Target: 679.
R15: V I N O S D I R E (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: L D P N E A U O S

C1: UPLOADS (7)
C2: PLANES (6)
DC: NODULES (7) PEDALOS (7)
OT: POUNDALS (8)
Score: 7–0 (max 8)

In correctly counting the number of letters in their words, Grant and Tom have already both shown greater mathematical aptitude than the AA. A POUNDAL is an imperial unit of force. We use newtons nowadays.

Round 2: F M A E B T K A R

C1: EMBARK (6)
C2: MARKET (6)
OT: FERMATA (7)
Score: 13–6 (max 15)

Tom's off the MARK now. The darren FERMATA is a musical direction referring to a pause of unspecified length.

Round 3: S S T R I E I L O

C1: TOILERS (7)
C2: LOSERS (6)
DC: OILIEST (7) SORTIES (7) RISSOLE (7)
OT: LISTERS (7) LOITERS (7) LORISES (7) OSTLERS (7) RELISTS (7) RESTIOS (7) ROSIEST (7) SILTIER (7) STEROLS (7) STORIES (7) TORSELS (7) TRIOSES (7)
Score: 20–6 (max 22)

16 sevens to choose from here. Grant finds one of them to extend his lead.

Round 4: M R Q M E I U T A

C1: MARQUE (6)
C2: QUITE (5)
DC: ATRIUM (6) MARMITE (7)
OT: IMMATURE (8)
Score: 26–6 (max 30)

Grant finds MARQUE to go 20 points up. Susie finds MARMITE, which is a cooking pot depicted on the jar containing the spread of the same name. Everyone misses IMMATURE.

Round 5: 100, 10, 8, 6, 8, 1. Target: 502.

C1: 502. (6-1)*100+10-8 (10)
C2: 502. (6-1)*100+10-8 (10)
Score: 36–16 (max 40)

Not a hard numbers game. Ten points each. The AA were playing this round too, but could only reach 500, even after correcting themselves and starting again twice and still using one of the numbers three times. The down side is that they're also in charge of scoring, so they awarded themselves 50 points for this. Luckily they also added that up wrong so their score is now -87.

Teatime teaser: ANYLEADS -> ANALYSED

Round 6: L R S R O I E D I

C1: LORRIES (7)
C2: SOLDIER (7)
DC: IDOLISER (8)
Score: 43–23 (max 48)

Sevens for our contestants, but there's one eight in there and Susie spots it.

Round 7: N G A Z E O T W E

C1: GOATEE (6)
C2: WONGA (5)
OT: NEGATE (6) TOWAGE (6) TOWNEE (6)
Score: 49–23 (max 54)

Tom isn't sure about WONGA, but it's fine, it's a common slang term for money that's been in the dictionary for a while. It doesn't beat Grant's GOATEE, though.

Round 8: C Y G I O I N S N

C1: COINING (7)
C2: COINING (7)
DC: CONSIGN (7)
OT: COSYING (7) NOISING (7) NOSYING (7) SYNCING (7) YOGINIS (7)
Score: 56–30 (max 61)

Sevens again. A YOGINI is a woman who is proficient in yoga.

Round 9: S L P E I A R E J

C1: PRAISE (6)
C2: REPLIES (7)
DC: JAPERIES (8)
OT: ESPALIER (8) PEARLIES (8)
Score: 56–37 (max 69)

Tom closes the gap to 19 points with REPLIES as Grant can only find PRAISE. Susie comes up with JAPERIES for eight.

Origins of Words: If you're one of those terminally annoying people who says things like "Nick made supper for Rachel and myself", or worse, "Can I give this bag to yourself" or "Hello, is that the hotel, I've got a room booked with yourselves", pay attention to what Susie said today. The word you are looking for is "me" or "you". Saying "yourself" in these cases is not "more polite", it's not "more grammatical", it's not "more formal". It's just plain incorrect. Reflexive pronouns like "myself" and "yourself" should only be used for emphasis (e.g. "I made it myself") or when referring to the subject of the sentence (e.g. "you call yourself a linguist").

Round 10: 75, 25, 9, 1, 10, 4. Target: 586.

C1: 586. (9-1)*75-10-4 (10)
C2: 590.
Score: 66–37 (max 79)

Grant extends his lead again by spotting the numbers game. Tom's got some work to do now...

Teatime teaser: MEDDLEUP -> DEPLUMED

Round 11: H X S O A U O G D

C1: DOUGHS (6)
C2: GOODS (5)
DC: DOUGH (5)
Score: 72–37 (max 85)

Aptodic gives the thumbs-down to DOUGHS, but Susie's argument here is that you can have different types of dough. There's sourdough, and normal dough, and probably other kinds too. Interesting precedent to set, though. MAIZES was allowed a couple of years ago because the dictionary definition for MAIZE specifically mentions different varieties, but that's not true for DOUGH. You can also have different types of treacle, so should TREACLES now be allowed as well? Difficult call.

Round 12: N T M P E A I R W

C1: IMPART (6)
C2: TAMPER (6)
DC: MINARET (7) TAMPER (6) PERTAIN (7)
OT: MERANTI (7) PAINTER (7) PRIMATE (7) RAIMENT (7) REPAINT (7) TAWNIER (7) TINWARE (7) WARTIME (7) WIREMAN (7) WIRETAP (7)
Score: 78–43 (max 92)

A few sevens available here, but Grant and Tom both get sixes.

Round 13: T S F O A E D I G

C1: GODETIAS (8)
C2: oafiest
DC: STIFADO (7) FOISTED (7)
Score: 86–43 (max 100)

Tom's attempt isn't allowed - the adjective is OAFISH - and Grant spots the perennial Countdown favourite GODETIAS to seal a second win. Susie finds STIFADO, which is a kind of Greek foodstuff.

Round 14: 50, 100, 7, 9, 6, 3. Target: 679.

C1: 676.
C2: 679. 7*100-(9*3-6) (10)
Score: 86–53 (max 110)

Now it's Grant's turn to falter on the numbers as Tom takes the points, but unfortunately for him the game's already over.

Round 15: V I N O S D I R E

C1 buzzes on 29 seconds to say DIVISIONER which is incorrect.
C2 does not buzz.
The answer was DIVERSION.
Final Score: 86–53 (max 120)

Neither contestant can solve the conundrum so it's up to a member of the audience to give us the answer.

That win takes Grant on to 2 wins and 182 points, which puts him in fourth place on the finals table for now. Tomorrow we'll see if he can make it three.

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=67
Last edited by Graeme Cole on Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Re: Wednesday 8th August 2012 (Series 67, Prelim 23)

Post by David Williams »

Every year I get a renewal quote from the RAC that's far more than last year. I check what the RAC and the AA are offering online, always far less. I ring the RAC, who immediately agree to whatever I ask for with no trace of embarrassment whatever. Presumably all the people who don't ring up are subsidising my membership cost, so it seems like an excellent way of doing business.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Graeme Cole wrote:Round 13: T S F O A E D I G

C1: GODETIAS (8)
C2: oafiest
DC: STIFADO (7)
Score: 86–43 (max 100)
Just a little pointer, DC noted FOISTED too, Graeme. :geek:

Thanks again, normal service will resume tomorrow. :D
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

That is an excellent advert, thanks for that. I'm glad I don't need any of the AA's services, otherwise I'd be torn between their failure at maths and their use of raccoons in adverts.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Just caught up with this yesterday from delays because of the Olympics. Did nobody spot that after Mark Foster was introduced the camera cut to the two contestants with the final result score on display? Spoiler or what! :o
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Yes Jack noticed it and commented on it in the Spoilers thread ... http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9223

At the end of the show Nick was asked to redo a piece to camera that wasn't quite right, but they must have included the shot of us applauding from the retake (with final scores) instead of the original (with 0 v 0). Easy mistake, but yes, bit of a spoiler. :oops:
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Graeme Cole wrote: They went on to quote a renewal price that's £65 higher than what I paid last year
I just got my renewal from the AA and it said:

"As you have been a member of the AA for 22 years you will qualify for our new Gold Membership when you renew. With this you get more breakdown cover at no extra charge."

Payment last year: £11.50 per month
Payment next year: £22.89 per month!

No extra charge????????

I make that £136.68 more!!!!!

:evil: