Monday 23rd July 2012 (Series 67, Prelim 16)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Monday 23rd July 2012 (Series 67, Prelim 16)

Post by Jack Worsley »

Countdown recap for Monday 23 July 2012.

Welcome to the next edition of the Worsley Recap and like two weeks ago, we have an apterite in the champion's chair. The winner of the last show I recapped, Paul James, went on to become an octochamp. Can the winner of today's show go on to do the same?

Nick starts the show by revealing that he is left-handed and talks about some other famous left-handed people. Let's get down to the proper business.

C1: Champion Chris Marshall (3 wins, 273 points.) An accountant from Brighouse, West Yorkshire, he supports Huddersfield Town (like someone else on the forums, trying to remember who :D ). He has also been told that he looks like Mr Bean by numerous people. While his looks may resemble him, his skill level certainly does not as he has three impressive wins to his name so far. He's yet to score a century but he's been close on a couple of occasions and has already spotted a nine. Can he keep up his good form today?
C2: Challenger Adam Stevens. A deputy head teacher from Faversham, he teaches nine and ten-year-olds, who have reportedly been helping him with the numbers. He has a 90-year-old grandmother who is an avid viewer of the show so let's hope he can do her and his pupils proud.
DC: Susie Dent and Nicky Campbell.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

R01: G W N A O E T A P
R02: L O F Y I D N U E
R03: H R K A E I N E R
R04: F A G M E Q A J I
R05: 100, 75, 25, 2, 6, 9. Target: 919.
TTT: RUDELIPS - "You'll need to go undersea to see this sucker"
R06: T E S C I B O N T
R07: L M T U O I R A N
R08: D E N P S I A C E
R09: N R X O A E D A T
R10: 50, 9, 10, 5, 5, 8. Target: 458.
TTT: DUDHORSE - "Covered in mystery like the holy piece of cloth"
R11: V P D E O I S A R
R12: W O T T S E I U R
R13: D S B E I A M E T
R14: 75, 8, 6, 5, 4, 2. Target: 472.
R15: E P I C D R A M A (conundrum)

And now a brief interlude before our main feature:

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Enjoy the show.

Round 1: G W N A O E T A P

C1: POTAGE (6)
C2: ganet
DC: PAGEANT (7)
Score: 6–0 (max 7)

Our champ takes an early lead with his six, with Adam only mustering an illegal five. DC start well though with a darren.

Round 2: L O F Y I D N U E

C1: FONDLE (6)
C2: FONDLY (6)
DC: FONDUE (6) UNOILED (7)
Score: 12–6 (max 14)

Another darren for DC and Adam gets on the scoreboard.

Round 3: H R K A E I N E R

C1: HANKER (6)
C2: HANKIE (6)
DC: HANKERER (8)
Score: 18–12 (max 22)

Chris may be kicking himself for not sticking the ER on to his word for eight but agent nouns are often quite dodgy so I don't blame him for not going for it. The gap remains at six.

Round 4: F A G M E Q A J I

C1: IMAGE (5)
C2: FAME (4)
OT: MAFIA (5)
Score: 23–12 (max 27)

A very awkward selection here, with just two fives available. Chris finds one of them and it's enough to extend his lead.

Round 5: 100, 75, 25, 2, 6, 9. Target: 919.

C1: 919. 100 x 9 + 25 - 6 (10)
C2: 918.
Score: 33–12 (max 37)

Chris's three large selection pays off again although Adam really should have got it. The scholl teacher may get a lot of stick for that miss :roll: . Turns out it's a lot easier than it might have looked at first glance. Chris's lead goes up to 21 already and already he is looking good for his fourth win.

Nicky talks about his experiences presenting Wheel of Fortune, many years ago. Recently, he walked naked into a sauna and got spotted by several women, and someone recognised him from TV.

Teatime teaser: RUDELIPS -> SERPULID

Round 6: T E S C I B O N T

C1: BONIEST (7)
C2: BOTTIES (7)
DC: CONTEST (7) SECTION (7) NOTICES (7)
OT: STENOTIC (8)
Score: 40–19 (max 45)

A few sevens can be found in this round but there was an eight hiding away, which no one in the studio could find.
STENOTIC is the adjective relating to stenosis, which is the abnormal narrowing of a passage in the body.

Round 7: L M T U O I R A N

C1: MANITOU (7)
C2: minotaur
OT: RAINOUT (7) TINAMOU (7) TURMOIL (7) UNMORAL (7)
Score: 47–19 (max 52)

Ouch, Adam's very unlucky not to close the gap. Minotaur is in the dictionary but unfortunately for him, it still has a capital letter so it's no good for Countdown :( . Chris pulls further clear by impressing with the apterous favourite MANITOU, which is a spirit, which can be good or evil, as on object of reverence, among certain Algonquian North American Indians.
A TINAMOU is a tropical American bird.

Round 8: D E N P S I A C E

C1: CANDIES (7)
C2: ESPIED (6)
DC: SPACED (6) SAPIENCE (8)
Score: 54–19 (max 60)

Chris extends his lead further, with DC getting the only eight.

Round 9: N R X O A E D A T

C1: DONATE (6)
C2: RANTED (6)
OT: DEXTRAN (7)
Score: 60–25 (max 67)

Slightly surprised that there aren't any common sevens here as Adam regains his scoring touch.
DEXTRAN is a chemistry term for a carbohydrate gum formed by fermentation of sugars.

OoW: Susie explains why we refer to the male trouser zip as the "fly".

Round 10: 50, 9, 10, 5, 5, 8. Target: 458.

C1: 458. 50 x 9 + 8 (10)
C2: 458. (50 - 5) x 10 + 8 (10)
Score: 70–35 (max 77)

Simples. 8-)

Teatime teaser: DUDHORSE -> SHROUDED

Round 11: V P D E O I S A R

C1: PROVIDES (8)
C2: PRAISED (7)
DC: PARODIES (8) VIDEOS (6) VAPORISED (18)
Score: 78–35 (max 95)

A very good eight for Chris, but not quite as good as DC's nine. ;)

Round 12: W O T T S E I U R

C1: WITTERS (7)
C2: SWOTTIER (8)
Score: 78–43 (max 103)

Adam wins his first round with a good darren but he needs a nine in the next round to stand any chance of staging a dramatic fightback.

Round 13: D S B E I A M E T

C1: STEAMED (7)
C2: BEADIEST (8)
DC: BEDMATES (8)
OT: BEAMIEST (8) BEDTIMES (8) DIABETES (8) MEDIATES (8) SIDEMEAT (8)
Score: 78–51 (max 111)

He does get another beater but it's not a nine so it's now officially game over. There were quite a few eights and Chris might kick himself, as his hopes of a first century are now over.
SIDEMEAT is salt pork or bacon, typically cut from the side of a pig, used in North America.

Round 14: 75, 8, 6, 5, 4, 2. Target: 472.

C1: 472. (75 + 4) x 6 - 2 (10)
C2: 472. 75 x 6 + (4 x 5) + 2 (10)
Score: 88–61 (max 121)

Another fairly straightforward numbers game and both pick up ten points, meaning Rachel has had the day off today. You'd expect Chris to be good with figures being an accountant.

Round 15: E P I C D R A M A

C1 buzzes on 11 seconds to say PARAMEDIC which is correct.
Final Score: 98–61 (max 131)

Chris gets the conundrum to beat his previous high score of 95 and complete another strong performance. Adam may be rueing his slow start as he showed signs of quality towards the end but it was too little too late. Hopefully Chris can become the second octochamp of the series by the end of the week, just before we head for the summer break.

Join Jordan (I think) tomorrow to find out if Chris can get his fifth win, in a recap made in the United States. Next week's special between Series 64 and 65 champions Edward McCullagh and Graeme Cole will be recapped by guest recapper Mark Deeks, which should be very entertaining. I assume Graeme will do the next regular Monday recap so join me for the next Worsley Recap, in about three weeks time, or whenever it is, same time, same place, be sure of it. ;)

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=67