Friday 9 December 2011 (Series 65, QF2)

Round-by-round summaries of every game in recent series; for every series in the last 5 years, try cdb, the Countdown database. Obviously this forum contains spoilers!

Moderator: James Robinson

Mike Brown
Legend

Friday 9 December 2011 (Series 65, QF2)

Post by Mike Brown »

Countdown recap for Friday 9 December 2011 (Series 65, QF2).

C1: #7 Seed Nikki Roberts (7 wins, 655 points.)
C2: #2 Seed Graeme Cole (8 wins, 813 points.)
DC: Susie Dent and David Lloyd.
RR: Rachel Riley.
OT: Other words or solutions.

At last, the finals are upon us after what seems like quite a long time – and indeed it is, as Series 65 has turned into the longest since 2007 after it inexplicably started rather earlier than is usual for the second one of the year. Still, it’s of no great import and after Mark Deeks’ thrashing of David Butcher (which was played with great humour and sportsmanship) it’s time to see whether Graeme Cole can see off Nikki Roberts, one of two ladies featuring amongst the seedings this time around. On paper, of course, Graeme looks very much the favourite with an average score of 102 points against Nikki’s mean score of just 82 – but will it turn out that way? Here we go...

R01: Y N R O E I T P R
R02: N D S O U O B G E
R03: T H S A O U N T A
R04: C R M I O I L D A
R05: 50, 4, 9, 7, 6, 8. Target: 201.
TTT: WIDEROOF - "Sack Victoria to get some fuel."
R06: T K M I E A D S E
R07: S D N A E I R G L
R08: T V M A O I P L E
R09: F T S A I E P D R
R10: 3, 1, 9, 6, 5, 8. Target: 212.
TTT: EGGSTARS - "No need to egg these stars - they tell great jokes."
R11: G R S A O E B S G
R12: S H N A I A P J I
R13: N V C A U E T W R
R14: 100, 4, 5, 9, 6, 5. Target: 310.
R15: E I G H T W I N S (conundrum)

Countdown is sponsored by Vitabiotics Wellman.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

In the opening banter this time around, Jeff notes that viewing figures are up and then moves on to show us a rather cute picture of some triplets watching Countdown – with a certain Nikki Roberts on the screen. Let’s get down to business.

Round 1: Y N R O E I T P R

C1: PROTEIN (7)
C2: POINTER (7)
DC: REPOINT (7)
OT: PRINTERY (8)
Score: 7–7 (max 8)

Not surprisingly, no one spots the darrenic eight. A PRINTERY is simply a word to describe a printing works. No, I’ve never heard it either.

Round 2: N D S O U O B G E

C1: BOUNDS (6)
C2: bongoes
DC: GOOSED (6)
OT: BODGES (6) BONGED (6) BONGOS (6) BOONGS (6) BUDGES (6) BUNGED (6) DEBUGS (6) GODSON (6) NODOSE (6) NOOSED (6) NOSODE (6) NUDGES (6) ODEONS (6) SUNBED (6) UNDOES (6)
Score: 13–7 (max 14)

Graeme hopes to be bang-on with a seven, but sadly it went out with the introduction of the ODE3 and Nikki takes an unexpected early lead.

Round 3: T H S A O U N T A

C1: HAUNTS (6)
C2: HAUNTS (6)
DC: SONATA (6) TAUNTS (6)
OT: ANATTOS (7)
Score: 19–13 (max 21)

For a moment there, it looks like THOUSANDS is going to come up, but instead we’re left with a few sixes to pick from and a seemingly dubious plural for seven, but it’s O.K. because as well as being a dye, ANATTO also describes the tree it comes from.

Round 4: C R M I O I L D A

C1: MILORD (6)
C2: DOMICAL (7)
DC: DOMICAL (7) CORDIAL (7)
Score: 19–20 (max 28)

Neither Nikki nor Graeme are completely confident in their offerings, but they’re both good. On this occasion, Graeme’s is the better, though, and he reclaims the lead. There are no points for DOMICIL^ by the way, as it was removed with the coming of the ODE2r, although here at c4c we’ve only just noticed!

Round 5: 50, 4, 9, 7, 6, 8. Target: 201.

C1: 201. (50x4)+7-6 (10)
C2: 201. (50x4)+9-8 (10)
Score: 29–30 (max 38)

A nice easy numbers game means there’s only a point between our protagonists – roll on Part Two. But before that, David Lloyd is questioned by Jeff and tells us about going on cricket tours, being booted out of Old Trafford and his latest book. It’s odds-on he won’t be banned from a return to Granada Studios, methinks.

Teatime teaser: WIDEROOF -> FIREWOOD

Round 6: T K M I E A D S E

C1: MISDATE (7)
C2: MEDIATES (8)
DC: MISDATE (7) MEDIATES (8) KEEMA (5)
OT: SIDEMEAT (8)
Score: 29–38 (max 46)

A good spot from Graeme, while Susie notes KEEMA (and incidentally calls it a six) because Bumble quite likes a curry. In case you haven’t read previously - and don’t come from North America - SIDEMEAT is simply meat cut from the side of a pig.

Round 7: S D N A E I R G L

C1: DARLINGS (8)
C2: DRAGLINES (18)
Score: 29–56 (max 64)

How many c4cers were wondering whether Graeme – and perhaps Nikki - would spot DRAGLINES? Quite a few, I suspect. Susie mentions that as well as being a kind of excavator, a DRAGLINE is also a parachute for newly-hatched spiders – yes, really – although not one with a ripcord, presumably.

Round 8: T V M A O I P L E

C1: OPTIMAL (7)
C2: VIOLATE (7)
DC: PIVOTAL (7)
Score: 36–63 (max 71)

Three people spot three different sevens. But none of those people is David, quips Jeff. Cruel.

Round 9: F T S A I E P D R

C1: TRAIPSED (8)
C2: PIRATES (7)
DC: TRAIPSED (8)
Score: 44–63 (max 79)

Nikki pulls an eight out of the bag, but she’s still lagging behind by 19.

OoW: Susie gives the origins of some comical place names, including the chuckle-worthy “Great Cockup”, which for the uninitiated is a fell in the Lake District.

Round 10: 3, 1, 9, 6, 5, 8. Target: 212.

C1: 217.
C2: 212. (8x6x5)-(9x3)-1 (10)
Score: 44–73 (max 89)

A tricksy numbers game and Nikki fails to see a winning method. Surely this match is only going one way now, but stranger Part Threes have been known.

Teatime teaser: EGGSTARS -> GAGSTERS

Round 11: G R S A O E B S G

C1: BEGGARS (7)
C2: BORAGES (7)
DC: BEGGARS (7) BAGGERS (7) SAGGERS (7)
Score: 51–80 (max 96)

Graeme is again doubtful about his word, but BORAGE is a plant and not even a mass noun, so Susie rightly declares it perfectly acceptable.

Round 12: S H N A I A P J I

C1: PAINS (5)
C2: JAPANS (6)
DC: PAINS (5)
OT: PAISAN (6)
Score: 51–86 (max 102)

‘Jools’ shines once more with JAPANS, which means to cover with a hard black varnish.

Round 13: N V C A U E T W R

C1: curvate
C2: UNCRATE (7)
DC: CENTAUR (7)
OT: VAUNTER (7)
Score: 51–93 (max 109)

Nikki decides it’s worth taking a risk (actually, only a nine would have been good enough to win the game), but sadly CURVATE^ isn’t allowed, while Graeme’s rather suspicious UNCRATE is fine. Its anagram CENTAUR is admittedly rather more pleasant to look at, but it’s not worth any more points.

Round 14: 100, 4, 5, 9, 6, 5. Target: 310.

C1: 310. ((9-6)x100)+5+5 (10)
C2: 310. (4x100)-(9x(5+5)) (10)
Score: 61–103 (max 119)

Round 15: E I G H T W I N S

C2 buzzes on 5.75 seconds to say WHINGIEST which is correct.
Final Score: 61–113 (max 129)

A rather appropriate conundrum scramble for an octochamp to unravel, even if the solution is one of those ‘I’m not sure about that’ superlatives. Well done to Graeme and bad luck to Nikki. On Monday, it’s the turn of Paul Keane and Dave Taylor to grace the studio once more and impressionist Jon Culshaw will be back in DC. See you for the final in a week’s time!

Jeff Stelling shows remaining: 5 (sob).

Further summaries are at:
http://www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=65
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: Friday 9 December 2011 (Series 65, QF2)

Post by Mark Deeks »

I'm assuming Susie was going to say KEEMAS and invoke the food plurals rule, but forgot.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Mike Brown
Legend

Re: Friday 9 December 2011 (Series 65, QF2)

Post by Mike Brown »

Mark Deeks wrote:I'm assuming Susie was going to say KEEMAS and invoke the food plurals rule, but forgot.
I wondered that too, although I'm doubtful as the definition states 'minced meat' rather than a dish containing minced meat. Having said that, I guess you can have different types of keema, so it's possibly admissible under the types of food rule instead. I think I've just lost the will to live... :)